Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Stompy

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: Pirate Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    blue at least has the payoff of being able to pitch cards. i would still rather play sea stompy, but have no idea what it would look like these days.
    Start with TNN, Sea Drake, Misthollow Griffin, and Jace.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

POPEYE STOMPY (at least my mana-screwed version) IS a thing that can win in Legacy.
    Here's the proof on XMage, and the decklist.
    Note that in the first game, opponent has NO board at all turn 5!

I also had very competitive loss to D&T, Manaless Dredge and Elves.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pirate-stompy-3/

Who's got a current list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

I've built this for Premodern, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    I've built this for Premodern, does that count?
    Yup, list?
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Decided to dust off Popeye Stompy for my weekly and went 2-1. Lost to Burn, beat Jund Plug and BR Reanimator. Highlights include...

List below, though it really hasn't been updated recently and the sideboard is a mess. One card I'm intrigued by to test is Mystical Dispute, since it gets around Chalice.

☠️ m a i n ☠️
    4 Rishadan Cutpurse
    3 Rishadan Footpad
    2 Kitesail Freebooter
    2 Hostage Taker
    4 Skyship Plunderer
    2 Parallax Tide
    2 Hoodwink
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Tangle Wire
    4 Siren's Ruse
    4 Force of Will
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Saprazzan Skerry
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Island

s i d e b o a r d
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Trinisphere
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Dismember
    2 Kitesail Freebooter

Sep 2011

4 Forerunner of the Coalition is tech.

Then you can run toolbox popeyes like Dreamcaller Siren, Hostage Taker, Dire Fleet Poisoner, and maybe even Admiral Beckett Brass (cast off Caverns mana).

Callum is streaming this on his stream to support the NAACP! https://www.twitch.tv/whitefaces . Come support!

Winter Maze

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Even with the Companion nerf, I wonder what a Pirate Stompy list would look like with Yorion as companion - lots of ETB triggers that can snowball quickly into something stupid.

Maybe even a a little white splash for Eldrazi Displacer/Soul Herder for extra hilarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Even with the Companion nerf, I wonder what a Pirate Stompy list would look like with Yorion as companion - lots of ETB triggers that can snowball quickly into something stupid.

Maybe even a a little white splash for Eldrazi Displacer/Soul Herder for extra hilarity.
    Definitely think this is the right direction.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

With the Companion nerf, is this any better than just casting Ghostway for 5 less mana, or using Eldrazi Displacer?

Yorion requires having a lower probability to open with Sol Lands or Chalice, which automatically makes the stompy shell worse.

With new additions from recent set of Commander Legends, namely Hullbreacher and Azure fleet admiral, is there a chance of a revival of Pirate stompy?
    mom protecc
    and she also attacc
    but most importantly she 1cc

I was brewing this. Direfleet neck breaker is also good. With 2 legacy playable cards on their own (freebooter & hullbreacher) I think there is enough to justify a shell.

Quote Originally Posted by drekonja View Post
    With new additions from recent set of Commander Legends, namely Hullbreacher and Azure fleet admiral, is there a chance of a revival of Pirate stompy?
    It's definitely improved, post your 75 here.

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    It's definitely improved, post your 75 here.
    I have no particular list in mind, original one tried to expoited the opponent being tapped out, but with Hullbreacher could go more into timetwister combo, but then would that be more effective than karn echoes?

The monarch pirate may be useful I saw the black monarch in random monoblack brews played by ThrabenU, however if these are even a thing in legacy or still only reserved to poppa people (as would Julian say xD).
    mom protecc
    and she also attacc

Quote Originally Posted by drekonja View Post
    I have no particular list in mind, original one tried to expoited the opponent being tapped out, but with Hullbreacher could go more into timetwister combo, but then would that be more effective than karn echoes?

The monarch pirate may be useful I saw the black monarch in random monoblack brews played by ThrabenU, however if these are even a thing in legacy or still only reserved to poppa people (as would Julian say xD).
    Well idk wut the list would look like, I threw this together:

4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Island
    1 swamp
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Eliminate
    4 Hostage Taker
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    2 Fathom Fleet Captain
    1 Departed Deckhand
    2 Ruin Raider
    2 Corsair Captain
    4 chains of mephistopheles
    4 hullbreacher
    3 wheel and Deal
    3 plague engineer

Sideboard
    1 Plague Engineer
    4 force of will
    2 force of Phil
    2 Dread of Night
    4 leyline of the void
    2 Brazen Borrower
    Last edited by kinda; 12-11-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Winter Maze

ThrabenU went positive with Popeye Stompy!

Link: https://youtu.be/y5XlV5R3S-o

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

I wonder how much better that could be with a few tweaks...

If you're running a maindeck 2B non-Popeye, Opposition Agent seems good, leaving Plague for the SB.

Wheel and Deal looked pretty weak because 4-mana Mind Twist is slow and you're not drawing 7 yourself. How much better would Echo of Eons be? Echo would push you towards Karn, LED and Narset. Without committing so much to that plan, maybe Dark Deal? Whirlpool Warrior? Something that can draw you more than 1 card seems good.

Day's Undoing ending your turn hurts, but is it better to pass with 7 cards up than to have a main phase with treasures but no cards to cast? Drawing into FoW, instants like Eliminate, and flash creatures balances out the drawback of ending the turn. Your main phase is over, but they have no hand and you have a full grip of 7 cards with 7 Treasures. They get one draw step and one main phase, but you can do things on their turn. Seems better than Wheel.

With a Day's Undoing build...

//Lands: 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea

//Artifacts: 8
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void

//Spells: 10
    4 Force of Will
    3 Eliminate
    3 Day's Undoing

//Creatures: 22
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    1 Dire Fleet Poisoner
    1 Fathom Fleet Captain
    4 Hullbreacher
    3 Forerunner of the Coalition
    2 Corsair Captain
    2 Opposition Agent
    1 Brazen Borrower
    4 Hostage Taker

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Plague Engineer
    1 Eliminate
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Wheel and Deal
    1 Brazen Borrower
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass

Maindeck FoW seems good overall and helps negate the drawback of passing the turn after Day's Undoing.

Forerunner seems like good tech to improve consistency, by finding Hullbreacher when you need it or finding one of the toolbox popeyes other times. Otherwise the deck has no card selection and is the victim of random variance.

I think maindeck 4x Chains seems weak. Instead of milling them or using Chains as a backup, you can just tutor for Hullbreacher. I kept 1 Chains + 1 Wheel in the SB for the matchups where the combo is very good, but other times those cards just seem like liabilities.

I changed up some of the toolbox popeyes but feel free to switch back. Dire Fleet Poisoner with flash+deathtouch can trade with a lot of nasty things, especially when you give the Menace Captain deathtouch and kill 2 things. Departed Deckhand just seemed mediocre. There are other ways to get evasion.

Ruin Raider's life loss seems pretty bad in a Stompy deck, which tends to have a higher curve. Especially after boarding in Forces. Bob decks usually have a lot of 1s.
    Last edited by FTW; 12-17-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Sep 2011

Monoblue opens up a better Popeye Stompy because you can just play Narset, Parter of Veils and LED+Echo.

//Lands: 19
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Seat of the Synod
    6 Snow-Covered Island

//Artifacts: 14
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void

//Planeswalkers: 6
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Spells: 4
    4 Echo of Eons

//Pirates: 17
    3 Warkite Marauder
    3 Daring Saboteur
    4 Hullbreacher
    3 Corsair Captain
    1 Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator
    2 Merchant Raiders
    1 Amphin Mutineer

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Force of Will
    1 Amphin Mutineer
    2 Azure Fleet Admiral
    2 Brazen Borrower

Some good popeyes were just printed!

Daring Saboteur kills PWs, loots, and gets Echo in the graveyard without LED.

Edit: Ghost of Ramirez DePietro is trash, nevermind. Misread the card.

Malcolm flies and makes treasures.

Merchant Raiders and Amphin Mutineer play board control

Admiral draws cards, while the Monarch drawback is offset by Narset and Hullbreacher

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    ThrabenU went positive with Popeye Stompy!

Link: https://youtu.be/y5XlV5R3S-o
    I watched it. Congratulations!

I would probably do some tweaks though. Azure fleet admiral instead of Ruin raider, even it costs one mana more it is a blue card, one more toughness and you are sure to draw a card at the end step and without losing life. It can backfire, but captain is good to take monarchy back if survives. Also I think Force of will are quite good main, cutting black cards like Plague engineer from main.
    Last edited by drekonja; 12-17-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    mom protecc
    and she also attacc

Thread Information