Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirate Stompy

Re: Pirate Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    They *WERE* testing in private, which is why this whole thing is ridiculous. You don't scoop again and again at 4-0 for no reason. Do you know how many tix they effectively gave up to do that? Their opponents were given what was effectively free money and asked nothing in return other than to just keep things private. Unfortunately, some people have no morals - they took the wins and they didn't keep their end of the deal.
    Your replies are so insane you have to be in on this on as well.

On a side note, this is the best thing to happen to legacy in so long. Almost 100 people viewing this thread? This is the most active I've seen the source in recent times on nonspoiler season.

Guess it's time to by some Skerrys...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    On a side note, this is the best thing to happen to legacy in so long. Almost 100 people viewing this thread? This is the most active I've seen the source in recent times on nonspoiler season.
    <Checks the time stamps>

Yep, about 11 years.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

They *WERE* testing in private, which is why this whole thing is ridiculous. You don't scoop again and again at 4-0 for no reason. Do you know how many tix they effectively gave up to do that? Their opponents were given what was effectively free money and asked nothing in return other than to just keep things private. Unfortunately, some people have no morals - they took the wins and they didn't keep their end of the deal.
    That's not private. Testing in private would be playing against friends in a living room or against other people who agree to keep mum on the subject in private games online. These people tested in a league against at least 5 people who were assigned at random-- those people have no obligation to maintain a code of silence because someone asked them. Further, it's against the rules of magic to offer a conditional game result. So basically your friends are engaging in activities that are against the Code of Conduct on MODO. So... morals?

Jun 2015
    NYC

Calling me insane is entirely uncalled for. A little thing called ad hominem btw (look it up.)

I have a question for you guys: if people who actually innovate in magic aren't ever allowed to benefit from their innovations, what do you think the long-term consequences will be?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Never realized that reverse engineering was a sin

bruizar

Calling me insane is entirely uncalled for. A little thing called ad hominem btw (look it up.)

I have a question for you guys: if people who actually innovate in magic aren't ever allowed to benefit from their innovations, what do you think the long-term consequences will be?
    I understand your point. I mean, I believe in academic integrity. What strikes me as stupid on the part of your test team is the fact that you go online and play with it in the first place. If it's that important to keep it under the hood, then keep it under the f****ng hood.

All brewers know that breaking the format with your own brew is living the dream. The guy(s) that went on MTGO with their decks just lost their chance to do so, cause no doubt Eternal Weekend will have a higher number of Imperial Painters at the ready to Pyroblast pirates (pirateblast?) out of the water (or to Davy Jones' locker), not to mention the 'hosing' effects of blood moon.

Sorry to tell you, but in the end, your team mates f***cked up.. Cat is out of the bag by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen someone so inexplicably angry at something outside of the B&R thread on this website. If it was a 'big secret' they wouldn't have been testing on MTGO, simple as that. Honestly, what if they played against someone streaming or something?
    Ok, looks like the opponent is casting Surgical Extraction...SHUT IT DOWN, SHUT IT ALL DOWN, UNPLUG THE INTERNET QUICK

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

If no one is close to the "List" then why are you so angry/worried?

Jul 2013
    Texas

The people working on it have been Tweeting about it, playing in public MTGO leagues... it's hard to argue they were trying too hard to keep it private other than not explicitly rushing off to post it online. (Which is fine!)

Still, based entirely on whatever information was in this post as of about 3pm Mountain time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...ns_ruse_combo/

I came up with a list, shipped it to a friend, and he went 4-1. He was 4-0 before losing in the last round. At the time he started, I was still not ruling out some elaborate trolling attempt. Now it does seem the deck is real. The intrigue was funny and is making Legacy fun, I hope it doesn't just become a dick-measuring contest about who invented what.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Fwiw, Popeye was a sailor, not a pirate.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Eye of Nowhere and River Kaijin confirmed?

bruizar

That's the funny thing - it's not out of the bag. Nobody's list is anywhere close to the final product and I seriously doubt anyone who isn't a top magic player (e.g. silver pro level or higher) will be able to come up with the deck before Eternal Weekend. Which means this thread is an enormous waste of time.
    I think this is the coolest thread on thesource right now. Why don't you ask your team mates to post here? Obviously, they don't have to divulge their decklist yet, but it would be nice to see who is behind the pirate stompy deck idea. Also gives you a chance to appropriate the credits to the right party.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    You are right, Sailor of Means if a definite upgrade over Anaba Grunt.

I just ordered 10 playsets.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

bruizar

I'm only angry about people breaking their promises - that's the only reason this whole thing started.

FTR I am not on the team, just friends with them. I do know the decklist though. The team is going to lay low until Eternal Weekend so that people aren't prepared for them (esp Nic Fit players, since that matchup is unwinnable if they know how to play it.) After the event, the deck will be revealed. I know they've already started writing content about the creation / testing process.
    Resolve veteran explorer, wait for the sacrifice trigger andddddd PROFIT! Then, chain git probes into a sweet stream of cabal therapies, then rector into humility or worse, resolve blood moon, or combo off depending on the nicfit flavor.

Style points if the Nic Fit player kills you with a Vraska, Relic Seeker to outpirate the pirates

I, for one, welcome our new Popeye/Nic Fit meta game.

Is this deck the new Nourishing Lich?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I'm only angry about people breaking their promises - that's the only reason this whole thing started.
    Who broke their promises?

Forgive me if I'm wrong - but it seems like some people created a deck - played it on a public forum - their opponents mentioned to people "its pirate stompy with ruse" - and people are excited to try to figure it out on their own.

Pirate stompy with ruse as a concept already gives you:

10-12 Rishidan Pirates
    4 Ruse
    4 Chalice
    4 FOW
    8 SOL lands

leaving the community to explore 28-30 cards. Most of those would be lands and the others the usual mix of blue stompy cards and maybe some "secret tech". Even if the "List" was public Info we would be in the same place arguing about those cards except the arguments would be "I tested that and it sucked, use this card instead" rather than "You shouldn't even be trying to figure out those 28-30 cards".

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Whoever previously said it is right - this is the most exciting The Source has been in years.

I can't tell if I want this to be another Thunderbluff or if I want to actually face this weirdo deck at the top tables in two month's time.

HYPE HYPE HYPE
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Transformational sideboard into Sneak & Show? What the fuck?

What's the next secret tech? Ninjas? Although Ninja of the Deep Hour + the Rishadan Pirates would be actually pretty sweet tech.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

So if this new deck is going to be the shit, does this mean Nic Fit is going to become a tier 1 deck..? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    So if this new deck is going to be the shit, does this mean Nic Fit is going to become a tier 1 deck..? Lol
    Actually I did all of this to save Nic Fit

Thread Information