Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirate Stompy

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Re: Pirate Stompy

This thread is the hype. NINJA PIRATES!!!

I am 100% happy with how the article on Channelfireball turned out.

Thank you guys for doing this. This was some of the most fun and enjoyable legacy bullshit to come out in the last few years. Props for "nic fit is our worst match up". Best shit ever.

This thread should be locked and preserved in a time capsule. Too bad all the off-topic arguments were deleted as that was arguably one of the most entertaining parts.

That said, though, I look forward to this being the de-facto troll deck for any upcoming event and seeing what kind of new spice/tech can be thrown into the mix in the future.

The sad part is the article hit the nail on the head for why it went viral, legacy is in a dull spot right now. The deathrite value amalgamation's grim pallor sits on top of the format.

The idea of a new archetype made me excited enough to brew again, though I'm really sad that adding shamans was one of the valid options imo.

I would not be surprised if some tier 2 stompy deck like soldier stompy got created from this. Would this be the first meme made deck in magic history?

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I'm still holding out hope that someone will rebuild red stompy with dinos and call it Jurassic Park.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    This thread should be locked and preserved in a time capsule. Too bad all the off-topic arguments were deleted as that was arguably one of the most entertaining parts.

That said, though, I look forward to this being the de-facto troll deck for any upcoming event and seeing what kind of new spice/tech can be thrown into the mix in the future.
    i had more fun reading about popeye than I did playing the last tournament! This art is so fitting, I dedicate it to the speculators:

The ultimate troll would be if there really IS a pirate stompy combo deck and this channelfireball article is just a diversion tactic.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I'm so hoping this thing is an elaborate hoax.

Seriously, just for the hell of it. It would be so funny.
    Called it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

It's been a fun week alright. Hilariously I really want to play with some of the decks people came up with!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I am not convinced that this is not all a troll
    On the bright side, I won't have to nuke another two pages of text again for a while. iatee, if you were in on the joke you went way over the fucking line, if you weren't you went way over that very same line and I don't understand why.

Anyway, I am glad this shits over.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I'll just leave these here for posterity.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Umezete View Post
    The sad part is the article hit the nail on the head for why it went viral, legacy is in a dull spot right now. The deathrite value amalgamation's grim pallor sits on top of the format.

The idea of a new archetype made me excited enough to brew again, though I'm really sad that adding shamans was one of the valid options imo.

I would not be surprised if some tier 2 stompy deck like soldier stompy got created from this. Would this be the first meme made deck in magic history?
    It's not really Deathrite, though the card is great. As luck would have it, when you take a format with perfect mana and the ability to play absurdly powerful one mana variance reducers like Brainstorm, Turbo Xerox-style decks that play as many good cards as they can fit crowd out basically everything that isn't explicitly an anti-Turbo-Xerox deck. If you wanted to Make Legacy Great Again, you'd have to nuke Brainstorm.

Anyway, this joke was amusing enough, even if it inflamed people's passions in a bizarre and unfortunate way. I'll leave the thread open because it seems like the deck might have some (sea) legs based on the performance of people trying to reverse engineer the list.

These were a hilarious few days and damn it feels good to see speculators get screwed. Cheers to the hoaxers!

It goes to show that playing Chalice on 1 is also good enough to win some games completely regardless of your other cards.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

That's a pretty lame outcome.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced it was all for naught. Nobody even considered the pirates before and people even played it to some degree success.

One thing that struck me as particular interesting in the wake of discussion is Skyship Plunderer - this one might be the real deal.

What makes Plunderer so good? The article might be a joke, but it completely misses out the interaction between Parallax Tide and Plunderer - since Plunderer can sustain Tide indefinitely (while being an evasive beater), at least the first 4 lands your opponent plays are permanently FUCKED (note how this plays exactly into the mana denial strategy the Rishadan Pirates are aiming for?). And if Chrome Mox + Sol Land are involved, this is possible as early as turn 2. The interactions with Skerry and Jitte were already mentioned, but another thing I really miss is the complete lack of Walking Ballista - which is one of the best cards in Stompy right now. It's a threat, removal and can be even fetched with Trinket Mage. Now we have multiple ways to supercharge it for cheap. And looking at Vintage Workshop decks, we already that fast-growing Walking Ballistas are a scary, scary thing.

But why build a deck around only 4 cards? Fair criticism, except Thrummingbird exists, which can act as Plunderer 5-8 - on steroids. This makes the entire plan more consistent and feasible.

I don't think the last word is spoken yet.

This was the hilarious payoff I was hoping for. I knew from the getgo it was a troll, but the amount of hype and spectacle that grew around the deck made it hilarious. I even knew someone in contact with Bob and he talked about how crazy it was the price of all these cards were spiking. It was fun the watch that’s for sure

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That's a pretty lame outcome.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced it was all for naught. Nobody even considered the pirates before and people even played it to some degree success.

One thing that struck me as particular interesting in the wake of discussion is Skyship Plunderer - this one might be the real deal.

What makes Plunderer so good? The article might be a joke, but it completely misses out the interaction between Parallax Tide and Plunderer - since Plunderer can sustain Tide indefinitely (while being an evasive beater), at least the first 4 lands your opponent plays are permanently FUCKED (note how this plays exactly into the mana denial strategy the Rishadan Pirates are aiming for?). And if Chrome Mox + Sol Land are involved, this is possible as early as turn 2. The interactions with Skerry and Jitte were already mentioned, but another thing I really miss is the complete lack of Walking Ballista - which is one of the best cards in Stompy right now. It's a threat, removal and can be even fetched with Trinket Mage. Now we have multiple ways to supercharge it for cheap. And looking at Vintage Workshop decks, we already that fast-growing Walking Ballistas are a scary, scary thing.

But why build a deck around only 4 cards? Fair criticism, except Thrummingbird exists, which can act as Plunderer 5-8 - on steroids. This makes the entire plan more consistent and feasible.

I don't think the last word is spoken yet.

Oh yeah, I'll never stop playing this deck. It's a steaming pile of garbage but at this point I've played and tested so many terrible cards and invested so much time in finding "THE LIST" that I kind of have to keep searching. Eventually, whether it's through practice or through tuning, I'll start winning with this deck and it'll be absolutely great.

So the deck isn't real and my Torpor Orb deck isn't about to find a great deck to pick on?

Jun 2015
    NYC

On the bright side, I won't have to nuke another two pages of text again for a while. iatee, if you were in on the joke you went way over the fucking line, if you weren't you went way over that very same line and I don't understand why.
    I was a mere pawn in Bob Huang's game. I trusted him. I mean, this was the man who managed to find a way to make the card Treasure Cruise good in legacy - if he could do that, surely he could break pirates too.

He took advantage of my innocence. And now I'm left sitting alone in a room filled with hundreds of copies of Rishadan Cutpurse and a foiled out Nic Fit deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Rishadan Brigand View Post
    Oh yeah, I'll never stop playing this deck. It's a steaming pile of garbage but at this point I've played and tested so many terrible cards and invested so much time in finding "THE LIST" that I kind of have to keep searching. Eventually, whether it's through practice or through tuning, I'll start winning with this deck and it'll be absolutely great.
    I'll need to throw together a list later on, but the Parallax Tide spam really intrigues me. I wouldn't be suprised if it actually turned out to be broken as fuck and is exactly the thing we were hoping for. That it enables the Rishadan Pirates is just the icing on the cake.

What if the real The List was the friends we made along the way?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I was a mere pawn in Bob Huang's game. I trusted him. I mean, this was the man who managed to find a way to make the card Treasure Cruise good in legacy - if he could do that, surely he could break pirates too.

He took advantage of my innocence. And now I'm left sitting alone in a room filled with hundreds of copies of Rishadan Cutpurse and a foiled out Nic Fit deck.
    You know he did not build that delver deck right? He said on stream someone was playing it on Cockatrice and he got smashed by it, so he let the guy add him of Facebook and then played the list given to him with a few touch ups.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information