Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirate Stompy

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Re: Pirate Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That's a pretty lame outcome.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced it was all for naught. Nobody even considered the pirates before and people even played it to some degree success.

One thing that struck me as particular interesting in the wake of discussion is Skyship Plunderer - this one might be the real deal.

What makes Plunderer so good? The article might be a joke, but it completely misses out the interaction between Parallax Tide and Plunderer - since Plunderer can sustain Tide indefinitely (while being an evasive beater), at least the first 4 lands your opponent plays are permanently FUCKED (note how this plays exactly into the mana denial strategy the Rishadan Pirates are aiming for?). And if Chrome Mox + Sol Land are involved, this is possible as early as turn 2. The interactions with Skerry and Jitte were already mentioned, but another thing I really miss is the complete lack of Walking Ballista - which is one of the best cards in Stompy right now. It's a threat, removal and can be even fetched with Trinket Mage. Now we have multiple ways to supercharge it for cheap. And looking at Vintage Workshop decks, we already that fast-growing Walking Ballistas are a scary, scary thing.

But why build a deck around only 4 cards? Fair criticism, except Thrummingbird exists, which can act as Plunderer 5-8 - on steroids. This makes the entire plan more consistent and feasible.

I don't think the last word is spoken yet.
    It's almost like it doesn't matter what you are playing in a shell built around Chalice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    So the deck isn't real and my Torpor Orb deck isn't about to find a great deck to pick on?
    Oh it's real.

I think you were asking if it was good. Of course it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyl3lazer View Post
    What if the real The List was the friends we made along the way?
    No, the One True List is the list in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You know he did not build that delver deck right? He said on stream someone was playing it on Cockatrice and he got smashed by it, so he let the guy add him of Facebook and then played the list given to him with a few touch ups.
    Dude, stop with the truth, it's not at all convenient.

Chances are, Sea Stompy was (and is) probably more playable than most were ever giving it credit for. Chances are good nearly anything in a Stompy shell will win some number of games off the "broken" fact that your lands tap for . Soldiers, Dragons, Goblins, Eldrazi, shit, why not Pirates?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Now that the hype is gone, I think its a good time to actually brew and not think of an absurd deck that will shift the legacy metagame, but instead something that can be playable. Of course the "real" list is just trolling, but the interactions are real, Siren's Ruse is a hell of a card.

Anyway, of course running Challice, Trinisphere, Chrome Mox and Sol Lands is a shell that kind of whatever else you put in it, it will have a lot of free wins against tier 1 decks. So saying this isn't playable is already very very wrong, it might not be opressive of course, but it is playable just by having these power cards on the deck. I would though, try to go a different direction, because going away from the obvious shell might get you somewhere better.

I'm trying to brew something new, might be with pirates or not xD, but I think people shouldn't just let go the idea if they think it can work.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    It's almost like it doesn't matter what you are playing in a shell built around Brainstorm.
    That statement works in various ways.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Chances are, Sea Stompy was (and is) probably more playable than most were ever giving it credit for. Chances are good nearly anything in a Stompy shell will win some number of games off the "broken" fact that your lands tap for . Soldiers, Dragons, Goblins, Eldrazi, shit, why not Pirates?
    Given that people can ride a shitty pirate list to victory says alot about the format and how vulnerable it is once you can't play your hyperefficient spells anymore.

So a few reps of a major card vendor and media source were able to make a troll attempt and manipulate the secondary market with just a few threads and unsubstantiated claims. That's cool.

Anyone have a good lead on fakes? Heard they're getting good with holo stamps now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    So a few reps of a major card vendor and media source were able to make a troll attempt and manipulate the secondary market with just a few threads and unsubstantiated claims. That's cool.

Anyone have a good lead on fakes? Heard they're getting good with holo stamps now.
    Would you like to get on the ground floor for Lost in the Woods futures? I already own plenty and the price can only go up! uP! UP!

Jun 2015
    NYC

I actually contacted dozens of Chinese fake card vendors, none of them had any batches of Rishadan Cutpurse for some reason.

Depends, when is the marketing scheme gonna go live? Do you have Julian, Bob? Maybe SaffronOlive to push the budget feel? Or we can go heavy with a champ like LSV or Reid Duke to really push the news. What vendor, ChannelFireball again? Switch it up with SCG?

Just gotta make sure no replays or speculative lists get out until we can sell a bunch of garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyl3lazer View Post
    What if the real The List was the friends we made along the way?
    The List. Do you know what The List is? It's the thousand playble decks of Legacy, a deck we agree to play over and over until we forget it's terrible.
    But what do we have left, once we abandon the deck? Brewing? Random jank we can treat as virtual byes?
    Brewing isn't a bye, it's a matchup. many try to find the next thing and scrub out, never to compete again. The netdeck breaks them. And some, are given the chance to pair up. They refuse, the cling to The List, or Doomsday, or Charbelcher. Illusions. Only a brew is real, the matchups are all there is.

Mar 2007

Thrummingbird
    Skyship Plunderer
    Parallax Tide
    Tangle Wire

The more I look into the idea, the more I like it. I'd really like to flesh this idea out, but I'm not to sure if this is still the right thread for it. With Tangle Wire thrown into the mix, the mana denial plan should suddenly gets alot more consistent, plus having the option of board control for those things that slipped through. "Tap two of my other things while you have to tap four" sounds like a devilish plan.

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

I'll need to throw together a list later on, but the Parallax Tide spam really intrigues me. I wouldn't be suprised if it actually turned out to be broken as fuck and is exactly the thing we were hoping for. That it enables the Rishadan Pirates is just the icing on the cake.
    I actually don't use the parallax tide/hoodwink combo. Here's the list I am currently on:

4 Brigand
    4 Footpad
    4 Cutpurse
    4 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chart a Course
    4 Siren's Ruse
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    2 Phantasmal Image
    2 Hostage Taker
    2 Trophy Mage
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Sword of F & I

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    2 Saprazzan Skerry
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Island

So far this has been the most successful for me. Hostage taker is nuts, and a great way to deal with resolved threats like Young Peezy. Also it feels hella good to take a Leovold and then cast it against an opponent with handful of cantrips. Trophy Mage acts as my blue Stoneforge Mystic and allows me to run 1 ofs in the sideboard while still being able to reliably hit them.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Rishadan Brigand View Post
    I actually don't use the parallax tide/hoodwink combo.
    Hoodwink is old and busted, Skyship Plunderer/Thrummingbird + Parallax Tide/Tangle Wire are the new hotness.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

This has been the best thread in ages, gents. Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I get the whole, "hey let's parallax tide," thing but why no one mentioning opposition and cavern harpy?

Opposition is rather obnoxious and doesn't rely on having 8 proliferate dorks (I'm fine with a welkin tern pirate but 2 mana for a 1/1 is just a bad deal as it won't trade with delver), and cavern harpy threatens a soft or even hard lock at any moment.

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Umezete View Post
    I get the whole, "hey let's parallax tide," thing but why no one mentioning opposition and cavern harpy?

Opposition is rather obnoxious and doesn't rely on having 8 proliferate dorks (I'm fine with a welkin tern pirate but 2 mana for a 1/1 is just a bad deal as it won't trade with delver), and cavern harpy threatens a soft or even hard lock at any moment.
    Does it though? It's not truly a hard lock as you can only repeat it as many times as you have UB available and you have to pay 1 life each time which makes our Ancient Tombs worse.

Thrummingbird
    Skyship Plunderer
    Parallax Tide
    Tangle Wire

The more I look into the idea, the more I like it. I'd really like to flesh this idea out, but I'm not to sure if this is still the right thread for it. With Tangle Wire thrown into the mix, the mana denial plan should suddenly gets alot more consistent, plus having the option of board control for those things that slipped through. "Tap two of my other things while you have to tap four" sounds like a devilish plan.
    Sold! I think I'll try some kind of blue proliferate stax...

This stompy deck was not as good As Foretold.

Does it though? It's not truly a hard lock as you can only repeat it as many times as you have UB available and you have to pay 1 life each time which makes our Ancient Tombs worse.
    That's fair, I'm more onto going mono-blue at this point anyway.

I still think opposition might have merit though. Unless parallax tide can work with just 1 proliferate enabler as I really don't think thrummingbird cuts it. Not being able to at least trade with delver is a big drawback.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Umezete View Post
    That's fair, I'm more onto going mono-blue at this point anyway.

I still think opposition might have merit though. Unless parallax tide can work with just 1 proliferate enabler as I really don't think thrummingbird cuts it. Not being able to at least trade with delver is a big drawback.
    After goldfishing a bit, the deck actually has another problem: The creature density isn't high enough between all those lockpieces.

I actually don't use the parallax tide/hoodwink combo. Here's the list I am currently on:

4 Brigand
    4 Footpad
    4 Cutpurse
    4 Force of Will
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chart a Course
    4 Siren's Ruse
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    2 Phantasmal Image
    2 Hostage Taker
    2 Trophy Mage
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Sword of F & I

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    2 Saprazzan Skerry
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Island

So far this has been the most successful for me. Hostage taker is nuts, and a great way to deal with resolved threats like Young Peezy. Also it feels hella good to take a Leovold and then cast it against an opponent with handful of cantrips. Trophy Mage acts as my blue Stoneforge Mystic and allows me to run 1 ofs in the sideboard while still being able to reliably hit them.
    19 lands only? Even with 3 Chrome Moxen, that land count is way too low for a Stompy deck.

From what I've seen on the Pirate Stompy stream linked earlier, I do like the CoW package that is fetchable with Trophy Mage. Wastelocking people can win quite a few games.

I'd still like to see some Ballistas in there. They seem too good to pass in a Stompy shell. I also do wonder about the Chart the Course copies. They all seemed to be win-more during the stream.

Have you considered Jace, the Mindsculptor? Aside from being good all-around, he can also bounce your pirates when necessary - which seems pretty nifty.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

After goldfishing a bit, the deck actually has another problem: The creature density isn't high enough between all those lock pieces.
    Walking Ballista and Hangerback Walker.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information