Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Stompy

bruizar

Re: Pirate Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    After goldfishing a bit, the deck actually has another problem: The creature density isn't high enough between all those lockpieces.

19 lands only? Even with 3 Chrome Moxen, that land count is way too low for a Stompy deck.

From what I've seen on the Pirate Stompy stream linked earlier, I do like the CoW package that is fetchable with Trophy Mage. Wastelocking people can win quite a few games.

I'd still like to see some Ballistas in there. They seem too good to pass in a Stompy shell. I also do wonder about the Chart the Course copies. They all seemed to be win-more during the stream.

Have you considered Jace, the Mindsculptor? Aside from being good all-around, he can also bounce your pirates when necessary - which seems pretty nifty.
    Why would you ever run ballista if there's a pirate pyroclasm in ixalan?

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Skyl3lazer View Post
    What if the real The List was the friends we made along the way?
    thats deep

Jul 2011
    Germany

First: Fun idea to joke about "the list" and let the internet community #hype it for nothing. But lets be real, most "pro" players never really tried a stompy shell or a non-blue-cantrip deck (besides our well known elves player). So i am glad the joke is over and still some players try to develope a real "sea stompy" list because blue stompy shells are one of the weakest lists around you can play with chalice, sollands etc.

I played various stompy decks since plug attacked the treasure cruise meta. One of the key elements besides lockpieces are creature density and removal cause you can't grab the right cards without cantrip-shells. Walking Ballista is a solid addition to every stompy deck since it is super flexible in every gamestate, even without enemy creatures, bonus points for working under moon effects too. Barook is right about that card - include it - even if its not a pirate!

My first sketch yesterday (i couldnt resist to think about the pirate idea too^^):

// 60 Maindeck "Tentacle Pirates"

// 14 Artifact

3 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Crucible of Worlds

// 21 Creature

3 Wretched Gryff
    4 Rishadan Cutpurse
    4 Rishadan Footpad
    2 Trinket Mage
    3 Walking Ballista
    3 Hostage Taker
    2 Bearer of Silence

// 25 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Island
    4 Wasteland
    1 Seat of the Synod

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Thought-Knot Seer
    SB: 1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Dismember
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge

As you can see i included some Eldrazi that work well with UB Mana: Bearer is a cc4 uncounterable removal (bonus points for hit TNN&Co) and with Gryff you can profit from the pirates (that sadly all have super weak bodies) to cast the 3/4 flyer for 2-3 mana in a lot of cases. Copter and Jitte are also cheap ways that even a pirate can do some damage. Hostage Taker is one of the best cards in a lot of cases since it can also grap enemy equipment. Overall the pirate-tax idea will work against decks that need to tap out often enough. And with a possible T1 Rishadan Cutpurse you can even have some nice "on the draw" situations to set back your opponents opener.

Overall i have not really tested this deck (and still think that white eldrazi lists perform better) but i also like Barooks idea of Skyship Plunderer, Parallax Tide, Tangle Wire cause all the Rishadan-Tax-Pirates more or less needs a tapped/locked opponent (other cards: Winter Orb/Trinisphere/Thorn/Style-Bonus: Choke). Note that Hostage Tacker can reset Tangle Wire too. Sadly running to many artifacts/prison elements will result in more mulligans/bad topdecks and lower creature/removal density (avoid traps like Siren's Ruse etc.). UB seems good for a first brew, but UW will also offer stuff like Displacer, Parallax Wave (Thalia, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Brago, King Eternal etc.)
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

If people want to experiment with Parallax Tide and Tangle Wire, I'll throw out some of my bad-deck-idea tech from 2011 in that Grim Monolith helps a lot in casting those, and that Monolith and Tangle Wire are really sweet with Esperzoa.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

After goldfishing a bit, the deck actually has another problem: The creature density isn't high enough between all those lockpieces.

19 lands only? Even with 3 Chrome Moxen, that land count is way too low for a Stompy deck.

From what I've seen on the Pirate Stompy stream linked earlier, I do like the CoW package that is fetchable with Trophy Mage. Wastelocking people can win quite a few games.

I'd still like to see some Ballistas in there. They seem too good to pass in a Stompy shell. I also do wonder about the Chart the Course copies. They all seemed to be win-more during the stream.

Have you considered Jace, the Mindsculptor? Aside from being good all-around, he can also bounce your pirates when necessary - which seems pretty nifty.

19 lands is very average for a lot of the Stompy lists I saw. A quick look through MTGTop8 and Tc Decks confirmed this for me. The trophy mage has been great for me and Ive been running Jace in the SB quite often. My last league was a 4-1 with this exact 60 and the only reason I lost the last set was thanks to MODO crashing my entire pc (!quality).

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Rishadan Brigand View Post
    19 lands is very average for a lot of the Stompy lists I saw. A quick look through MTGTop8 and Tc Decks confirmed this for me. The trophy mage has been great for me and Ive been running Jace in the SB quite often. My last league was a 4-1 with this exact 60 and the only reason I lost the last set was thanks to MODO crashing my entire pc (!quality).
    Can't tell if still trolling or not. Same goes for most of the posts in this thread at this point lol.

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Can't tell if still trolling or not. Same goes for most of the posts in this thread at this point lol.
    Serious business. I honestly really enjoy this deck a lot. Its a pile of garbage but in an endearing way, you know?

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

Well, 19-20 is the average amount of lands you often see. But those decks are Dragon Stompy and run Spirit Guides (we could run Lotus Petal) and Blood Moon to shut off Wasteland.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

What does your sideboard look like? I'm currently testing a variation of your deck on Cockatrice.

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

What does your sideboard look like? I'm currently testing a variation of your deck on Cockatrice.
    Off the top of my head:

2 Tsabos web
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Dismember
    1 JTMS
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    4 Leyline of the void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

Ensnaring bridge was just kind of a last second, I cant think of anything else at the moment.

Mar 2007

Off the top of my head:

2 Tsabos web
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Dismember
    1 JTMS
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    4 Leyline of the void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

Ensnaring bridge was just kind of a last second, I cant think of anything else at the moment.
    Thanks

My impressions on the deck so far:
    - You want more Hostage Takers - creature "removal" and allows reusing old pirates. Great card, despite the mana cost.
    - Saprazzan Skerry is very meh. I replaced them with another two Caverns since you absolutely want the uncounterability. Also fixes the mana for Hostage Taker.
    - added another basic Island because one simply isn't enough
    - took out Chart a Course for Ballista

The deck still lacks a way to limit the opponent's mana properly. If you hit your curve, the deck is awesome, if you fall behind (especially on the play), you're toast since you play a bunch of overcosted vanilla creatures.
    Last edited by Barook; 10-03-2017 at 02:39 AM.

I'm surprised these decks aren't running Thorn of Amethyst in the main. Most of your mana disruption comes from creatures, so you can scoot around some of the deleterious effects of Thorn, especially if you are running Skerry as an extra Sol land. Alternately, you could run Trinisphere, since one Thorn makes most of your non-creature spells cost three anyway.

EDIT: One other point in Thorn's favor: with a Sol land, it gives you two turn one plays to hose opposing Brainstorms (alongside Chalice).

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I'm surprised these decks aren't running Thorn of Amethyst in the main. Most of your mana disruption comes from creatures, so you can scoot around some of the deleterious effects of Thorn, especially if you are running Skerry as an extra Sol land. Alternately, you could run Trinisphere, since one Thorn makes most of your non-creature spells cost three anyway.

EDIT: One other point in Thorn's favor: with a Sol land, it gives you two turn one plays to hose opposing Brainstorms (alongside Chalice).
    I think this in conjunction with Barook's points are probably the direction we need to go. Thorn in the main seems great and it also forces opponents to tap out more often causing our pirates to be more likely to blow up a permanent.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i've tried to write a post recommending thalia and thorn in addition to these pirates, but then i have to stop myself because it just means it's going to be a worse DNT or maverick deck.

what would be the advantage here?
    -rob

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i've tried to write a post recommending thalia and thorn in addition to these pirates, but then i have to stop myself because it just means it's going to be a worse DNT or maverick deck.

getting rid of permanents after resources have been invested in them as opposed to preventing your opponent from spending resources on them on the first place.

You want them to waste their resources and then clean up.

Land Equilibrium could help if you're running sol land and chrome moxen :-)

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Those rishadan creatures work better when you play city of solitude. Lock them out of their counters, and force them to sack permanents.

The problem with this deck is that the pirates suck when your opponent is running hyper efficient threats and keeps mana up to pay for the tax effects.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    The problem with this deck is that the pirates suck when your opponent is running hyper efficient threats and keeps mana up to pay for the tax effects.
    Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale addresses exactly this

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale addresses exactly this
    Maybe if they go wide. And the better question: How do you access the Tabernacle? Expedition Map is a no-go due to Chalice.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post

The mana consistency would definitely suffer. White would offer both Thalias, Recruiter of the Guard (which would allow to cutdown on the number of shitty, expensive Pirates) and Brago, King Eternal (sadly, not a Human and not fetchable with Recruiter) as stand-out cards. For what it's worth, Thalia, Heretic Cathar would work great with Winter Orb. Downsides are the shitty manabase that would probably require Mox Diamond over Chrome Mox, more dual lands and probably more external mana sources like Azorius signet or the UW Talisman to lower the impact of Winter Orb on yourself. Hitting the blue count for FoW might also be troublesome in that case.

Nobody's taking this deck into a LD direction with Wasteland, Crucible of the Worlds, Stifle / Squelch / Interdict / Shadow of Doubt, potentially Back to Basics? Why not? Greedy Legacy manabases have gone unpunished long enough. What better way to wreak that than Ux Troll Stompy?

Thread Information