Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Re: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    Although not a common sight, right now any Cloudpost match is straight unwinnable (EDIT: you can probably slip past UG 12 Post on a show and tell plan by assembling helm or getting lucky with wishes, but lock pieces are bad news). I don't think that destabalizing our own lands even further with a Taiga for Blood Moon is correct. Perhaps Damping Sphere of all things fits in. It's fetchable with E.Tutor and has text against Elves and Storm. Whether it does more harm than good is something to be tested.
    (edited for formatting)
    Hello, instead of Blood Moon, have you considered trying out the card Alpine Moon? It's comes down fast for just one red mana that doesn't affect your lands.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I think if we were gonna go red, Magus of the Moon would be the correct choice. I could also see Stingscourger being an okay wish target.

Without going off color I've had some success against Eldrazi with Painter's Servant. It shuts off Eye of Ugin and makes Eldrazi Temple a lot weaker. All is Dust becomes a complete wipe including lands. I think it might not actually be great against Ugin, Spirit Dragon since the planeswalker itself will survive but hasn't come up. The other nice thing is that you name black, so it pairs well with Elephant Grass, giving it some use in other match-ups.

warsaw - I keep meaning to ask you if you're on the discord?

claymore - actually same question
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Just stumbled upon this thread. Awesome resource. I like how you go into detail with your card choices. Good insight. Thanks for doing this.

I've played enchantress variants before without remarkable success, and picked this one up a while ago since I already had all the cards in paper. I watched all SpatulaOfTheAges' youtube videos which are very helpful. Played the deck at my LGS a few weeks ago, but sadly won only a single game (against Miracles) in a 4-round event. Lost to reanimator, lands, and really close loss against a stax brew. I do believe this deck is favoured against DnT, Miracles, Grixis control, and UB Shadow which are 4 recent decks to beat. Can any other deck say the same? Unfortunately, we're less than 5% against reanimator, storm, elves and infect and many other matchups are less than 50%. I tried the same list again this past weekend, and went 4-1 in a 14-player event without facing any blue decks.

Decklist:
    12 Forest
    1 Savannah
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Bayou
    1 Karakas
    3 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Doomwake Giant
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms
    3 Abundant Growth
    1 Banishing Light
    1 Cast Out
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Gaea's Touch
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Ground Seal
    1 Ixalan's Binding
    4 Living Wish
    1 Replenish
    1 Solitary Confinement
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    Sideboard:
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    1 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Doomwake Giant
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Choke
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Solitary Confinement
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Wickerbough Elder
    1 Serra's Sanctum

Tournament Report:
    Round 1 (Sean on Turbo Depths)
    G1: Easy win. Opp plays t1 Urborg, t2 Depths into Hexmage, then immediately makes Marit Lage. He scoops after I drop Karakas, admitting he wasn't expecting that from an enchantress deck.
    G2: I have a Wish in my opening hand and count on a quick Karakas, but Opp plays t1 Needle on Karakas. I frantically play Argothian and Abundant Growth to dig for my other answers (Grass, Confinement or Cast Out) but am not fast enough before he gets an end step Marit Lage.
    G3: I keep a hand with Grass, Argothian, Replenish and plenty of land (but no t1 Wild Growth effect) thinking I'm pretty safe. I lose the Grass to a Thoughtseize, but figure I can Replenish it later so I just have to be aware of when Marit Lage will arrive. On my 4th turn, I have the mana to cast Replenish, but instead decide to tap out to get 3x enchantress effects into play, since Opp has only Depths and Urborg in play, and has missed a land drop. This costs me the game as he uses Elvish Spirit Guide to Rotate the Urborg into Stage with mana to use it on my end step. Damn, I wasn't expecting that :(.

Round 2 (Derek on Dragon Stompy)
    G1: Opp gets a t1 Chalice on 1 on the play, which prevents my Wild Growth effects and Grass. His t2 Magus of the Moon doesn't bother me, but I still quickly die to Rabblemaster and Legion Warboss beats, without casting a single spell.
    G2: I get a t1 Wild Growth effect before Opp drops another Chalice on 1, and follow up with enchantress effects on t2 and t3. Opp plays Rabblemaster and gets 2 attacks before I find Confinement. He is forced to keep making goblins and attacking but it's 4 turns before he finds Fiery Confluence to remove my Argothian and Eidolon (as well as all his own creatures). By that time I have Wickerbough in play and a full hand so he scoops.
    G3: Opp mulls to 5 and his only play the whole game was a t1 mountain. Rough.

Round 3 (Greg on Stax)
    G1: This was my Miracles Opp from the previous LGS tournament, so imagine my surprise when he plays t1 Chalice on 1, into t2 Trinisphere. Thankfully I have 3 lands and 2 enchantress effects in hand so I figure I can catch back up if he applies no pressure. He has trouble making land drops and gets in a few Mishra's Factory hits, but no Lodestone Golems. I am able to survive 2x Tanglewire (I'm not blocking with Argothians anyway), Banish the Chalice, and Wish for Emrakul which I'll be able to cast next turn. Opp scoops.
    G2: Opp starts with a t2 Trinisphere after I get 1 Wild Growth effect down, followed by t3 Tabernacle and Thorn of Amethyst. I have no enchantress effects but cast t4 Doomwake after he's already done 8 damage to himself through Ancient Tomb. He damages himself further by copying Doomwake with Phyrexian Metamorph, but this only holds me off one turn before I topdeck Rec Sage. He puts himself to 2 life to cast a Lodestone as a blocker, but my 2 attackers will kill him next turn anyway.

Round 4 (Teddy on Eldrazi)
    G1: Opp comes out swinging with t1 Chalice on 1, t2 Trinisphere, t3 Thought-knot Seer, t4 Thought-knot Seer. I drop 2 lands, and spend the game admiring the Wild Growth effects in my hand.
    G2: I get out 2 early enchantress effects followed by Confinement, while taking only one Smasher hit. Opp gets a Ratchet Bomb with 2 counters which could remove an Argothian and Gaea's Touch. Instead, he taps for a 3rd counter on my end step, which is my opportunity to play Cast Out. Opp scoops.
    G3: This was a really tight game. Opp plays bombs quickly (Chalice on 1, Trinisphere, Reality Smasher, Crucible of Worlds) before I drop Doomwake. We play draw-go for a few turns before he starts up again with Karn, Scion of Urza drawing extra cards. I'm forced to give him Sphere of Resistance over Ghost Quarter, as I know GQ is death with Crucible. Opp uses Karn to draw GQ next turn anyway, so I know I'm really up against the wall. I'm able to Cast Out the Chalice in response to Sphere, and on my next turn I cast Rec Sage on Trinisphere. Finally with only 1 enchantress effect in play, I have exactly enough mana to drop 5 enchantments though Sphere of Resistance so Doomwake kills Reality Smasher and a Karn Contruct buffed by a Mishra's Factory. Without blockers Karn dies to a Doomwake attack. Opp draws a card, plays TKS, but realizes he can't target me under Confinement and scoops. (This was probably premature as you can't sustain Confinement with only 1 enchantress effect, but I didn't try to talk him out of it.)

Round 5 (Leah on Leylines)
    G1: Opp mulls twice with serum powder, then drops 5 leylines before the game starts. Opp plays t1 Serra's Sanctum into Suppression Field, then makes land drops for the first 4 turns. I get an early Grass in play which should keep me alive since Opp can't play Opalescence and attack in the same turn (Sanctum mana can't carry through to the attack step), and I have Ixalan's Binding to seal the game. Opp doesn't find Opalescence before I draw my deck and win.
    G2: Opp starts with 3 leylines, but I draw the nuts with Savannah, Karakas, Grass and Teeg. t1 Grass which I let die, t2 Teeg, and Opp scoops.

Experience gained:
    -Make sure to count your deck before every game. I've twice forgotten to return wish targets to the sideboard.
    -Miracles is tough but still favourable I think. Play early enchantress effects into Force, but save Choke for when they tap out for Jace.
    -You get many wins from Opps unfamiliar with the Living Wish build. I've seen many Needles/Revokers on Helm of Obedience, and I suspect many players don't counter Wishes because they're expecting to simply counter the creature I wish for (I love Emrakul). Don't play a Sanctum until Wish has resolved to fool them more.
    -Players often think Chalice on 1 is game over for enchantress decks. I was 3-0 against Chalice decks this weekend, and will happily cycle my Wild Growth effects into Replenish.
    -Don't be afraid to block with Eidolon of Blossoms/Doomwake with Replenish in hand. I've killed 9/9 Knights of the Reliquary and drawn 10 cards just by casting Replenish. Be careful not to deck yourself with this line (never actually happened to me).
    -Ixalan's Binding should be something else. That's the card I board out most often as too slow. Maybe Sylvan Library?
    -Bojuka Bog is useless. You never catch a reanimator Opp as it's usually end step Entomb followed by a reanimation effect. I've also tried to use it against RUG Delver (to shrink Mongoose) and Infect (to prevent Become Immense) but just lose anyway. Leyline of the Void or Surgical Extraction might be better.
    -Eidolon of Rhetoric is useless. I've never beaten any storm variant, including mono-red. Boarding in Eidolon and hoping to drop it t2 is a long shot, and will just lose to endstep Echoing Truth anyway.
    -Aegis of the Gods is a must in the board. You have to be able to Wish for a card that will trigger enchantresses even if Aegis' effect is useless. I'd rather have Aegis than Heliod.
    -Gaddock Teeg is questionable although I realize his value. He protects himself from Terminus, but not StP, Council's Judgment (admittedly, if the Opp uses Judgment on Teeg, that's one more Argothian that survives), KCommand, Fatal Push or Bolt. If you have a bomb like an unForceable Choke ready to go the very next turn, it's worth it, but Teeg usually only slows your Opp a turn or 2.

Hope that's helpful to the enchantress players out there. Good luck!!

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I've started to respond to this multiple times, but with the holidays and a overseas trip and all it's been a bit busy.

First off, congrats on the finish. Against the Turbo Depths loss, don't feel bad, it sounds as though you played correctly. Playing against them is strange because unlike most combo, we should emphasize setting up an Enchantress ASAP and THEN go on defense. Unfortunately, this can mean that they sometimes have the acceleration into a random win, but that's a minority of games. Overall this matchup is about 60% our favor - Grass is really good, and Wishing for Karakas is a big option. Now that we have Knight of Autumn to get above 20 (essentially a time walk against them), it's even better. As you say, Miracles, although favorable, can be tricky, and some games can slip away surprisingly fast. One key is to not walk multiple Argothians into a Terminus, and another is to value Ground Seal correctly - without Snapcasters, their answers are far fewer. Post-board is always going to be tight, when their mostly-useless StPs become Disenchants. I very often go to G3 versus them.

The meta is very in flux right now, which can make assembling the correct Wishboard very challenging. Even more so if you're trying a 4C hybrid version, like I am right now, where you have access to Back to Basics and In the Eye of Chaos.

This is the list I'm mostly on right now, https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1471862#online

I'm still trying to figure out how best to incorporate Estrid's Invocation, but the card has been simply insane for me. It does take quite a bit of clicking on MTGO, and new work in figuring out upkeep stacks, but the payoff is huge, with the cantrip enchantments especially. Once you resolve Invocation and Abundant Growth, you're up a card a turn with no mana investment, which most fair decks can't keep up with, and it gets around lots of traditional hate like Sphere of Resistance or Ethersworn Canonist. With Oblivion Ring effects and Doomwake it's also very powerful. This is a recent video I played and I think does a good job showing how powerful Invocation is.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Can you explain the interaction with Invocation and Abundant Growth without mana investment? I thought you need 3 mana to recast Invocation. I think i am missing something here.

Where can I find the video? World like to see some recent builds into action. 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6fw9zK_usE

Estrid's Invocation has the option of "flickering" every upkeep, there's no casting involved. You simply have it come back as an Abundant Growth and you're up a card.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    This is the list I'm mostly on right now, https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1471862#online
    I remember trying Courser of Kruphix in Solitaire and wasn't a fan. What makes it better here?
    I was going to ask about Ixalan's Binding vs. Cast Out but then I realized you have 3 Invocation. Seems sweet/hilarious.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Yeah Binding's interaction with Invocation is nice but I'm also torn on the cc, that could also be better as B Light/O Ring #2.

Courser is a reasonable all around Wish target that's also an enchantment. Against the grindy decks you'd want Helios, and Aegis would be old against combo. The format had a lot of aggro right now and she's a good blocker who can gain life and doesn't die to Bolt, and can be a form of card advantage that makes her relevant against control. The extra land drops also make her solid against mana denial strategies. Combined with GSZ and Knight of Autumn you also have a solid boost versus burn and UR Delver, as well as Dark Depths decks.

Edit: a dark horse for the enchantment slot of the wishboard, now that I'm in blue, is Riptide Chimera. It's a sort of Invocation, but requires more mana but also comes with a 3/4 flyer which isn't bad. Biggest downside would be being in the tertiary color.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Thanks for clear explaining of Invocation. I misread it completely. Also the video was nice to watch. Love the see enchantress in work. :-)

Has someone considered the build with Chrome Mox'es? On paper that build looks also sweet: the idea is that how faster the deck is, the faster your engine comes online and the carddisadvantage can be neglected. A turn 1 Argothian Enchantress/Living Wish looks tempting. Furthermore if you draw a chrome mox via an enchantress-effect (and you have already played a land and are "tapped out"), you stil can cast the Mox and play a 1-mana enchantment, which lead to another draw.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Back up to 4 Wishes in a list I've had some success with recently https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...s-65114#online - key changes are to lower the overall curve, including making Wish more efficient, first by swapping Wickerbough for Pridemage, and then running multiple turn 2 Wish plays, like Faerie Macabre, Spore Frog, and Karakas. Other options include Tabernacle and Maze of Ith. I also dropped Eidolon, which I think is only feasible because of running just 2 GSZs - if I went back to 3, I'd be inclined to find room for Eidolon again.

The deck feels like it's in a strong place right now, despite the openness of the meta-game making Wishboards a little harder to pin down. The deck's two biggest weaknesses are definitely ANT and Reanimator, but most of the combo decks being played right now are actually not bad matchups. Depths decks are favorable, and Sneak and Show is 50-50, we have a lot of tools for fighting them. The online meta, especially Leagues as opposed to the Sunday Challenge, seems to be a lot more combo heavy than I'd expect at most paper tournaments, and I'm still getting a steady return with this list.

I will note that if you're looking at this as something to try, practicing is important. Estrid's Invocation can be very time-consuming on MTGO, especially since it's still quite buggy.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I recorded this past Legacy Challenge, went 5-2, although I believe a misplay cost me game 3 against Mono Red Prison. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TkwVQ8kPgyQkCw

The surge of popularity in Elves, and especially Archon of Valor's Reach, has caused some adjustments, mainly Peacekeeper taking the place of Spore Frog in the SB. The plan is to steal G1 via Peacekeeper then post-board bring in Doomwake if you're on the draw, and either win via fast Doomwake/Gaddock and hope they don't have Glimpse/Tabernacle.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

After playing Courser of Kruphix a little I'm actually tempted to put one or two in the main. I feel like 4 Elephant Grass and 2 Solitary Confinement just isn't enough to stay alive until I can start wishing. In the past Suppression Field and RIP/Helm were able to carry a little weight by either showing them down to our speed or just ending the game. But now that we're more Emrakul-focused a blocker that can gain life, draw cards, and charge Sanctum sounds pretty sweet. Putting it in might mean adding a Mirri's Guile or Sylvan Library to supplement the engine. Welcome back Words of War.

Also for some reason I just can't beat Death & Taxes. I may be evaluating the matchup incorrectly but too often I find myself unable to do the One More Thing that would put me ahead. This is admidditly one of the reasons I'm considering Suppression Field again but it hurts the wishboard pretty badly.

One more aside, Spore Frog is incredible. That smug bastard really pulls his weight and him vs. Peacekeeper is the great debate of our time.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Hello Spatula.

Watched one of your videos last night. Certainly an interesting build.

I see in the thread that you have used Sterling Grove intermittently prior to testing Estrid's Invocation extensively.

I noticed in may video that you were hoping to draw a card to get out of a pinch often, (being an Enchantress player I know this feeling well.)

Have you ever tested Ancestral Knowledge in your mostly UG build? It seems like it could smooth your deck out and reduce the variance you were discussing in the vid (not running ponder / Brainstorm)

With Estrid's Invocation it seems like a powerhouse shuffling and looking a fresh 10 an upkeep (removing cards poor for the MU.)

I'd be interested in your findings if you have tried it.

EDIT: - If you were to test this in the Argothian slot (sacrilegious I know) This could open up some very interesting design space i.e. Terminus to slow the the game to your Doomwake Giant finish.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Finished first in the MTGO Challenge this past Sunday. https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...ith_the_witch/

Observations; I've cut down from 3 to 2 copies of Estrid's Invocation. I don't think either is inherently correct, but the meta recently has shifted to punishing greedier mana bases, and running fewer non-green cards makes us more consistent.

Living Wish is still a powerhouse against SnS and Dark Depths, which I played against in 5 out of my 10 matches. It definitely gives this version an edge over other Enchantress variants.

In the Eye of Chaos is really good, I'm thinking of running 2; it's good against a wide range of decks, including Grixis Control, Miracles, Burn, Infect, and of course ANT/TES. I did learn to not bother bringing it in versus Delver variants, as it's simply too slow and the tempo loss is not worth it.

Wasteland as a Wish target was pretty solid, especially against Depths, but also in conjunction with other taxing like Choke/Grass.

In general I think the Witch House is positioned okay for the moment, but the London Mulligan is probably going to work against us. I hope that it leads to a couple bannings that are, in my opinion, over-due anyway(coughGriselbrandcough). The interim will likely be a difficult time for decks that lose to fast combo, however.

@Freggle - Invocation is already a little on the "cute" side on its own. Running cards that are really mediocre without it doesn't seem like the best way to capitalize on it. Sterling Grove is good but I'm trying to cut down on non-green. If the amount of Decays and Trophies really ticks up, it might be good to go back to one copy.

@Watersaw - are you siding out Wishes versus DnT?
    Last edited by SpatulaOfTheAges; 04-03-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Update for the NARSET META.

I honestly hope everyone at WotC R&D develops ulcers. They decided that Leovold was not only NOT a mistake, but that they needed to make the "I get to play and you don't" mechanic easier to cast and harder to kill.

Also, why on earth does BLUE need this part of the color wheel? It makes way more sense in white.

Solutions I and others have been trying

Wish targets:

Hex Parasite - I've been happiest with this one so far. It can't be hit by removal before doing its job, as long as you have the mana. It can't deal with Chalice or new Karn, but it can hit multiple PWers, opposing Blast Zones, or Endless Ones. It can also be used to reset your own Elephant Grasses.
    Mistcutter Hydra - Uncounterability is good and can't be chumped by Snap or Strix, but can be just offed, esp in G1, by Fatal Push or StP
    Spark Elemental - Same as above, but cheaper and theoretically counterable. Requires a red splash.

MD:

More O Ring effects. The best for this purpose is Cast Out, because if you cast it on their turn, even if they have the FoW, you still draw a card. Cyclable also means that it's something to help smooth out earlier draws, especially in multiples or with GY recursion.

Abrupt Decay. Going non-enchantment is always a little bit of a nuclear option, but Decay deals with Narset more surely than anything else and can turn the game around very quickly. EoT Decay into drawing 10-20 cards can steal it when they thought their Narset and double FoW grip had the game on lock. The downside is it affects our enchantment count and of course there are plenty of match-ups where the card is less stellar. It also requires heavier reliance on black mana, which might make going into blue more difficult. I've been testing Abzan without Invocation and with Abrupt Decay.

Switching some amount of Abundant Growth to Unbridled Growth. The instant speed draw makes the cycling still work under a Narset, but the color fixing loss is significant if you're going four colors. This might small since Invocation doesn't play nearly as well with Unbridled Growth anyway, so this is another option mainly if you're going Abzan and passing on the blue splash.

Other Meta Notes

Ground Seal is at a premium right now thanks to the ubiquitousness of Dreadhorde Arcanist. The Modern Horizons set also looks like it will give Life from the Loam strategies a big push, making Ground Seal even more powerful. There's a major catch though; the new set also features Hall of Heliod's Generosity, which looks like a very useful card, but again, runs into the non-bo with Ground Seal. As a Wish target you can control the timing of it, so I'm going to start by testing both together and see how much I regret running one or the other.

The new set also has at least a couple other exciting Wish targets, namely Plague Engineer and Collector Ouphe. Engineer in particular should be a BIG addition to the Wishboard, especially because like all new Magic cards apparently, he's asymmetrical. A big boost against tribal decks, and against DnT, and even Delver variants, being able to wipe out a bunch of opposing Pyromancers or unflipped Delvers, and still trade with either a Lightning Bolt or an Angler. You can also name "Wizard" and shut off Arcanist's flashback engine. The Ouphe seems well timed to deal with all the Karn decks floating around, and is another small boost against Storm combo.

Excited to see your list for the new meta, as I think Enchantress will be really well-positioned with all of the Dreadhorde Arcanist decks taking up the lion's share of the meta. The points you make are spot-on, adding Cast Out was my first thought in possible ways to deal with Narset (I also would have never come up with Hex-Parasite to deal with Narset). If possible I would very much appreciate if you would share your list before the Challenge (obviously totally up to your discretion) this Sunday as I would love to be able to take updated Enchantress for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    Update for the NARSET META.

I honestly hope everyone at WotC R&D develops ulcers. They decided that Leovold was not only NOT a mistake, but that they needed to make the "I get to play and you don't" mechanic easier to cast and harder to kill.

Also, why on earth does BLUE need this part of the color wheel? It makes way more sense in white.

Solutions I and others have been trying

Wish targets:

Hex Parasite - I've been happiest with this one so far. It can't be hit by removal before doing its job, as long as you have the mana. It can't deal with Chalice or new Karn, but it can hit multiple PWers, opposing Blast Zones, or Endless Ones. It can also be used to reset your own Elephant Grasses.
    Mistcutter Hydra - Uncounterability is good and can't be chumped by Snap or Strix, but can be just offed, esp in G1, by Fatal Push or StP
    Spark Elemental - Same as above, but cheaper and theoretically counterable. Requires a red splash.

MD:

More O Ring effects. The best for this purpose is Cast Out, because if you cast it on their turn, even if they have the FoW, you still draw a card. Cyclable also means that it's something to help smooth out earlier draws, especially in multiples or with GY recursion.

Abrupt Decay. Going non-enchantment is always a little bit of a nuclear option, but Decay deals with Narset more surely than anything else and can turn the game around very quickly. EoT Decay into drawing 10-20 cards can steal it when they thought their Narset and double FoW grip had the game on lock. The downside is it affects our enchantment count and of course there are plenty of match-ups where the card is less stellar. It also requires heavier reliance on black mana, which might make going into blue more difficult. I've been testing Abzan without Invocation and with Abrupt Decay.

Switching some amount of Abundant Growth to Unbridled Growth. The instant speed draw makes the cycling still work under a Narset, but the color fixing loss is significant if you're going four colors. This might small since Invocation doesn't play nearly as well with Unbridled Growth anyway, so this is another option mainly if you're going Abzan and passing on the blue splash.

Other Meta Notes

Ground Seal is at a premium right now thanks to the ubiquitousness of Dreadhorde Arcanist. The Modern Horizons set also looks like it will give Life from the Loam strategies a big push, making Ground Seal even more powerful. There's a major catch though; the new set also features Hall of Heliod's Generosity, which looks like a very useful card, but again, runs into the non-bo with Ground Seal. As a Wish target you can control the timing of it, so I'm going to start by testing both together and see how much I regret running one or the other.

The new set also has at least a couple other exciting Wish targets, namely Plague Engineer and Collector Ouphe. Engineer in particular should be a BIG addition to the Wishboard, especially because like all new Magic cards apparently, he's asymmetrical. A big boost against tribal decks, and against DnT, and even Delver variants, being able to wipe out a bunch of opposing Pyromancers or unflipped Delvers, and still trade with either a Lightning Bolt or an Angler. You can also name "Wizard" and shut off Arcanist's flashback engine. The Ouphe seems well timed to deal with all the Karn decks floating around, and is another small boost against Storm combo.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Spatula, I watched the videos and really like the list. I have a few questions:

- how is burn match up with only one confinement?
    - why no white Leyline?
    - what do u think about mystic remora? Can help us against counter strategies
    - did u ever have to deal with counter with->surgical and you have no win con?

When you have the list for narset meta post it. I feel like they just slam narset and fow parasite...

Thank you! Tomas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Updated first post, but for reference,

-General Meta List: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1471862#online
    -Anti-Narset List: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1948896#online

Dec 2010
    Prague

So if our opp starts chalice into T2 magus we always lose as we will never have black or white mana? (Unles we find one seal) Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information