Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)

G1 if they have both online and are on the play, which represents something like 15-20% of openings of 2% of matchups in 1/3 of games, you will have to Living Wish for both Knight/Pridemage and Emrakul and cycle both in in order to GSZ. Postboard you simply board in one of them as a GSZ target. It's definitely not worth switching to a monogreen creature simply to address that very rare scenario unless your meta is flooded with Dragon Stompy.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Amazing! I didnt think about that play! :) Cant wait to play it in paper.

Do you see Blast Zone as a big threat? Aggro loam and lands that were always almost a bye seem now much harder. I havent played against it yet. Whats your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2014

I bought the majority of cards for each version last night. My local meta consists of

2 Dedicated Grixis control players
    1 Not so dedicated Grixis control
    1 Dedicated Goblins player
    1 Dedicated UW player
    1/2 Reanimater
    1 UR Delver
    1 Dedicated stompy player
    1 ANT
    And your random stuff like Goblin Welder,Dredge,D@T and so on.

What version should I start with? Also In the Eye of Choas looks really good. But it's like $140,is there a budget option?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Dittmar View Post
    I bought the majority of cards for each version last night. My local meta consists of

2 Dedicated Grixis control players
    1 Not so dedicated Grixis control
    1 Dedicated Goblins player
    1 Dedicated UW player
    1/2 Reanimater
    1 UR Delver
    1 Dedicated stompy player
    1 ANT
    And your random stuff like Goblin Welder,Dredge,D@T and so on.

What version should I start with? Also In the Eye of Choas looks really good. But it's like $140,is there a budget option?
    From what I've experienced, even with Narset, Grixis Control is still quite one-sided. Unlike Miracles, they don't have Council's Judgement or SB Disenchant to hit Oblivion Rings, and their clock is much slower than Mentor, so Heliod's Hall does an absolute number on them. So the major points of concern here are, in descending order: UW Miracles (only slightly favored with Narset), ANT (significantly unfavored), and Reanimator (very unfavored). ItEoC is very powerful against ANT and Miracles if you can land it. There's no direct replacement; Rest in Peace is a reasonable choice with Reanimator and ANT to worry about, but you don't really want it versus Miracles as it stops your Hall. With no 12 Post or Dark Depths, you could just cut the SB Wasteland and the ItEoC you don't have for a pair of RIPs or Leylines.

Sep 2014

Besides Bayou/Savannah,I now have all the cards. Including In the Eye of Choas!!

This came up in gold fishing

T-1 Mirri's Guile
    T-2 Ground Seal
    T-3 Serra's Sanctum,with two forests. Living Wish,Abundant Growth in hand. Does Abundant Growth on Serra's Sanctum cancel Sanctum out?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

When you tap the Sanctum you can choose whether to add one mana of any color, or white mana equal to the number of enchantments you control. Abundant Growth gives lands an additional ability; you can put them on fetch-lands, for example, and tap them for mana.

Sep 2014

I figured it was to good to be true lol. So in that scenario I'd not cast Abundant Growth and cast Wish/Argothian.

How does Abundant Growth on a land that has Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl work?
    Last edited by Curtis Dittmar; 06-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Dittmar View Post
    I figured it was to good to be true lol. So in that scenario I'd not cast Abundant Growth and cast Wish/Argothian.

How does Abundant Growth on a land that has Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl work?
    Same as any other land. If you have Abundant Growth and Wild Growth on a Misty Rainforest, you can tap it for one green and one mana of any color.

Hello Everyone!

How can i make some type of budget / starter version of this deck?

Can i play without Serra's Sanctum / Old Dual / Replendish? Fora a Small LGS meta?

Quote Originally Posted by pstjkyo View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Can i play without Serra's Sanctum / Old Dual / Replendish? Fora a Small LGS meta?
    Without replenish: yeah, most list don't play that anymore
    Without dual lands: it seems really worse but you can try a list with only basics, maybe cutting blue and black
    Without sanctum: no, it is a pillar of the deck. There is no budget alternative, just buy two sanctums

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    Without replenish: yeah, most list don't play that anymore
    Without dual lands: it seems really worse but you can try a list with only basics, maybe cutting blue and black
    Without sanctum: no, it is a pillar of the deck. There is no budget alternative, just buy two sanctums
    Nykthos kinda works. It's a lot slower and is hard to play white cards off but has the advantages of making mana without any enchantments on board and being able to make a lot of green. It's worse but it's workable.
    I would be wary about playing any non-Forest basics. Your first land absolutely needs to produce green mana.

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pstjkyo View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Just think of how much cheaper this deck is compared to. Say UW Miricals,Grixis control and so on. Helped ease my mind lol.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1512822#online this version is okay, and is about as cheap as you can expect from Legacy.

Sep 2014

Could have went better at the local game store. I did enjoy myself however.

R-1 Miricles (0/2)
    The second game was a lot harder than the first.

R-2 ANT (0/2)

R-3 Rug Delver (1/2)

R-4 Goblins (2/0)
    Last edited by Curtis Dittmar; 07-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Dec 2010
    Prague

I played the deck twice now finishing 2:2 and 1:3.
    I beat Team Italia, Burn, Painter. Burn is certainly much harder then normaly.

I was very unlucky losing to R stompy - on the draw against T1 Rabblemaster had a good hand but didnt find Grass. In the second I stabilized on 12 only to be Conluenced twice in a single turn.

All the other games were against Narset decks. 3 Miracles one Food Chain. Its a terrible terrible matchup. He counters your first bussiness then he put narset online which means two cards and you must have Decay. Or you put Enchantress into play Decay eot and then win. ORing or Cast Out is counterable. Rest of your deck does nothing. After board he can just disenchant your Narset removal - blow out. Once I even Decayed eot with three Enchantress in play planing to win next turn. He played Brought Back. After you lose Parasite to say counter not even wish doesent offer much.

The deck is so sweet but its just too frustrating to be facing these odds.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Made the trip to Valley Forge yesterday. The discord says I'm banned, so I get to post all about how I scrubbed out here instead. Played a mostly basic list, I wanted to jam in some number of Veil of Summer but had no idea what to cut.

4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    3 Abundant Growth
    1 Carpet of Flowers I cut an Abundant for this. Probably should have taken out a Wild instead.
    2 On Thin Ice I REALLY like this, but I might have to cut it.
    4 Elephant Grass
    2 Solitary Confinement
    2 Banishing Light
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Cast Out This is almost painfully "okay."

4 Living Wish
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

3 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Tireless Tracker I can explain.

1 Doomwake Giant

10 Snow-Covered Forest
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Serra's Sanctum Usually play 3, trimmed one to try out
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity which I didn't hate.
    1 Bayou
    1 Savannah

Sideboard as follows:
    Karakas
    Spore Frog
    Hex Parasite
    Argothian Enchantress
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    Plague Engineer
    Knight of Autumn
    Qasali Pridemage
    Doomwake Giant
    Faerie Macabre
    Courser of Kruphix

2 Choke
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Swords to Plowshares

2-1 vs Maverick
    You know what sucks? Getting your turn 2 Presence immediately blown up by an opposing Knight of Autumn. But hitting Birds of Paradise with On Thin Ice is great so it balances. Game one is slow, eventually I get ahead and he scoops to a resolved Doomwake. Game 2 I keep a very loose 6 and take 14 from a pair of KotRs, so that doesn't end well. Game 3 is fun, we're going back and fourth a bit and I only have one girl in play. Doomwake gets Thoughtseize'd so I can't just win, but 2 turns later I find Hall of Heliod's Generosity and pass with 6 mana and a Cast Out that he knows about. We have a good laugh about the enchantress deck holding up interaction. Anyway he has Surgical so none of this actually matters. I start drawing cards and win somehow.

0-2 vs. ANT
    I didn't bring anything for this because I honestly didn't think it was worth the cuts I would need to make. Still, we have a pretty good chat and I have plenty of downtime to talk enchantress stuff with bystanders.

1-1-1 vs. 4 color stuff
    Game 1 he mulls to 4 and I feel terrible. I just ramp a bit while getting beat up by TNN. Wrenn and Six show up and get Banishing...d. I GSZ for Tracker and drop a fetch. The 3/2 dies, but I get 2 clues. My opponent scoops to a bunch of lock pieces. I don't actually remember much of game 2 but I have the word "Daze" written down so I guess that mattered. There was also a Cindervines on board when I died. Game 3 we trade resources a LOT. Eventually I get 2 Enchantresses down and draw until I have a hand full of lands. For some reason I sided out Tracker and start kicking myself when I draw Zenith. I topdeck non-enchantment spells for so long that he manages to cast and -7 R&6 despite there being a Choke in play. I finally start doing things when we get to extra turns and cast Emrakul on turn 5. We draw. At one point I has a Forest with 2 Utopia Sprawls, an Abundant Growth, and On Thin Ice with a Tarmogoyf attached. So that was sweet.

Round 4 I mulligan to 6 and am promptly informed by a judge that I have a bye. Okay.

1-2 vs. Miracles
    I played poorly, got no excuse. Game one he goes Jace into Narset. I can wish for Parasite, but can only put the bitch to 1. I decide to wait a turn and bad things happen. I have no recollection of game 2 at all but I won. Game 3 I get bet up by a Clique for a few turns and then get beat up by Tiago.

1-0-1 vs. Grixis Control
    No excuse here, I played poorly. Game 1 I play into full-power Liliana's Triumph TWICE, only for it to get Snapcasted after she unleashes her Final Smash. He then sticks a Jace and a Narset and I feel like I have made some terrible mistake that brought me to this point. Anyway we get to some hilarious boardstate where he has over 400 zombies (including a fish) and 4 copies of Baleful Strix that can't attack. He kills me with K Command and Snapcaster Mage. Game 2 I play scared and don't Cast Out the Damping Sphere. I take way too long to actually do anything and we draw after he Surgical my Wishes.

2-1 vs. Junk Stoneblade
    Game one it feel like I'm losing to Pox. It ends with my opponent saying he has no idea what I'm actually trying to do over here. Game 2 I have to fight 3 straight copies of Liliana of the Veil. One of them gets exiled, one trades with Hex Parasite, and the third... I don't remember what happened to the third one I think I just got ahead of her somehow and won with 27 life. Game 3 was a battle, he Vindicate my first aura and Hymns out my Hall. I stick some enchantresses and get going, only to embarrass myself by playing into Golgari Charm, and for a hot minute it looks like I'm actually going to lose to a Batterskull and Tarmogoyf for the first time in years. I manage to find Cast Out and StP and stabilize, only for him to make 4 flyers with Lingering Souls. Crap. I rip Living Wish and say "Oh hell yeah" as I grab Plague Engineer, then GSZ for a 4/3 Knight of Autumn. I swing a few times and he Sylvan Librarys himself down to 2 life to wipe the board, plays Jitte and passes. I wish for Pridemage and say go. Somehow my opponent goes to 1 life and kills Pridemage, who takes the Jitte with him. I untap and cast a 15/15.

2-0 vs. an empty chair.
    I am unstoppable.

so 2-3-1 effectively. I did some really stupid things during the day and need to rethink a LOT. One thing's for sure the deck is almost intolerably slow, I actually missed having Helm this time. There were a few games where Rest in Piece would have just been good. But if I do put it back in I may have to cut On Thin Ice and that thing is SWEET. I don't need to tell any of you how much Narset sucks besides mentioning that I really don't like Cast Out that much. As for Tireless Tracker this replaced Eidolon of Blossoms. It serves the same purpose of turning a bad GSZ into a card or two, with the advantages of cantripping off lands under a Narset and being able to go big (assuming it lives, granted). I dunno. I was probably suffering from minor heat stroke as I frantically filled out my list, but I ended up not hating it.
    I did some really stupid things during the day and need to rethink a LOT. I didn't wish for Spore Frog or Faerie Macabre at all, but there is some level of redundancy between Plague Engineer and Doomwake Giant. I'm not sure either of these is the correct line of thought. If I can find the space for Veil of Summer and Gaddock Teeg and something else I can plan against storm but the board is already super tight.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Rest in Peace feels really good in the deck. There's some weird math with the enchantment count but I think it's well worth playing the Helm, having real power to end the game is nothing to sneeze at. I may be getting a bit greedy but with all these 20/20s flying around I wanna re-sleeve Suppression Field and start bullying manabases. Paying 1W to buy those 2 turns seems pretty huge.

Hi folks! How are you doing?

I was wondering how this deck is positioned in the meta right now. Is it really bad, or can it win something?

I've almost finished building the deck, I'm only missing the tropical island. What do you think is better: play Gwub (Spatula's last list) with a breeding pool, or play just Gwb with only OG duals (with 3 zenith + 1 eidolon instead of the 2 invocations)?

the staple deck is good with Living Wish and the blue flipping enchantment.

it’s just wrecked by Narset which is less relevant with all the Temur and Pyroblasts around

Dec 2010
    Prague

I think if you dodge storm and narset/leo you are in a decent position. For the fuo you can still pack Decay. All the greedy W&6 should be good. All the controls. The deck thats really hard to deal with and is somhow under the radar is Bomberman. Blast zone is pretty annoying as well.
    But this deck is very reliable and can recover from multiple sweepers. You can go infinite with Emrakul. Ground Seal was never this good. Elephant Grass was never this good either.

GL!

Thread Information