Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)(also Budget, it turns out)

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)

"The expression on her face was one of hideous malevolence and exultation... He must meet the Black Man, and go with them all to the throne of Azathoth at the centre of ultimate Chaos." -"The Dreams in the Witch House", H.P. Lovecraft

I. Some Background

Hello all, people call me Spatula. Around 2004 I helped develop Solitaire, a version of Enchantress that operated on Solitary Confinement as a de facto win condition, along with some notable additions to the archetype like the addition of Elephant Grass and Ground Seal. The virtue of this version was, as compared to G/U Eternal Winds, a higher enchantment count and more compact win condition, and as compared to what I'll simply call G/W Enchantress (defined by Sacred Mesa, Moat and other heavily defensive cards) a tighter mana curve and more combo-oriented strategy. As compared to the other versions of Enchantress Solitaire was not so much a deck that played enchantresses to supplement some other strategy, but rather a deck where the enchantress engine truly was the heart of the deck.

Of course meta-games come and go, and while it seems that WotC is intent on printing absurdly untested cards for Commander, synergy-oriented decks like Enchantress more rarely receive new toys. After extensive testing with various iterations of Solitaire, adding a few new cards such as Cast Out and Doomwake Giant, I was feeling dispirited in the deck's performance against many of the match-ups that have traditionally been strong, such as mid-range control and aggro, due to a wide variety of reasons from game to game, but ultimately leading me to the conclusion that the Solitary Confinement lock is no longer what it was. Deathrite Shaman, Leovold, Emissary of Trest, even Spirit of the Labyrinth eliminate the idea that merely playing a Solitary Confinement is game over. And since the card itself is just a 3 mana fog on its own, the deck required rethinking.

Since Onslaught, major additions to the Enchantress archetype are fairly limited - Green Sun's Zenith was a huge help, many Enchantress players added Emrakul to the deck (though I strongly disagree with its addition to Solitaire) and there are now almost a half dozen iterations of Oblivion Ring. Most relevant to this post, however, is the block printed during my latest hiatus from the game, Theros, which added enchantments that are also creatures. While most Enchantress players seem to have added one Eidolon of Blossoms and occasionally sideboard in Doomwake Giant, I think the combination of GSZ and the existence of playable enchantments that are ALSO creatures opens up a number of questions about an older card that was often tried and usually discarded in Enchantress lists, namely, Living Wish.

Part II. The Decklist

The Girls

4x Enchantress's Presence
    3x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms

The Tutor Package

3-4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Living Wish
    0-2x Sterling Grove
    0-1x Mirri's Guile

The Big Guns

1-2x Doomwake Giant
    0-1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

Mana Ramp

4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Wild Growth
    0-2x Exploration
    0-2x Gaea's Touch

Card Ramp

1-2x Ground Seal
    3-4x Abundant Growth

Control

4x Elephant Grass
    0-1x Banishing Light
    1-2x Solitary Confinement
    0-1 Gaddock Teeg

Manabase

1x Bayou
    1x Savannah
    1x Karakas
    2x Serra's Sanctum
    3-5x Windswept Heath / green fetchlands
    10-12x Forest

Primary Wish Targets

[CARDS]1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1-3x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Karakas
    1x Reclamation Sage

Optional Wish Targets

0-1x Phyrexian Revoker
    0-1x Gaddock Teeg
    0-1x Qasali Pridemage
    0-1x Brain Maggot
    0-1x Peacekeeper
    0-1x Spore Frog
    0-1x Aegis of the Gods
    0-1x Dryad Militant
    0-1x Mistcutter Hydra

Rest of SB

2x Choke
    1x Ixalan's Binding
    1x Solitary Confinement
    0-3x Carpet of Flowers

III. Deck Strategy

First, briefly: the first two turns are ideally the same as in most Enchantress builds: a first turn Utopia Sprawl/Wild Growth/sometimes Exploration, followed by a turn 2 Enchantress effect. From there, the deck’s low mana curve and cantrip-enchantments allow the deck to ramp to a big Kamahl or play a more controlling game with selective Living Wish targets and Doomwake Giant clearing the board.

Years ago when enchantress players tried to fit Living Wish in the deck, there were two main obstacles that made it an ineffective addition: cost and type. I believe that recent cards have helped with both problems.

First, the cost issue. If you consider Living Wish as an Enchantress, it costs 4 mana. The issue here is that your standard game plan requires a second turn Enchantress effect, and while some hands involving Exploration and 4 lands or Exploration, 3 lands and a Wild Growth might get you there, it’s unlikely and besides, the latter takes up a lot of your enchantments that you’d rather be cycling under an Enchantress effect. Compare this to Green Sun’s Zenith, which curves just fine under our usual plan, costing 3 mana to plop an Argothian into play. So Living Wish is never going to be your first Enchantress if you can help it. It is, however, much more reasonable to use Living Wish as a backup Enchantress after your first one gets countered or destroyed. The fact that we can now play Argothian PLUS Presence PLUS Green Sun PLUS Living Wish gives us far more redundancy than Enchantress has ever had.

Secondly, the type issue. When you’re going off, you’re often under lethal pressure from the opponent, and the engine stalling can get you killed. While you could theoretically spend crazy money on silver bullets like The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale or Maze of Ith and hope they don’t have Wasteland, it would often be more useful to simply keep comboing. My board has a variety of Wish targets that are also enchantments, to keep drawing cards.

The explanation out of the way, I’d like to delve a little deeper into the strategy, although it’s not too complicated.

Turn 1: Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl/Exploration sometimes. If you have none (and can’t use Gaea’s Touch either), you might want to either mulligan (especially on the draw) or play an Abundant Growth to start digging. If you have Argothian Enchantress and some fodder for her, or esp Ground Seal, those are also adequate reasons to keep a somewhat slower hand.

Turn 2: First threat. Usually this means Argothian/Presence/GSZ. If you’re on the play and the opponent dropped a DRS, Ground Seal is often a good call. Keep in mind that if you had 3 lands that aren’t Sanctums and at least one is a basic Forest, you can use a turn 2 Gaea’s Touch to get your Enchantress online.

Turn 3: Second threat and begin going off. Sometimes you’ll be able to get a Doomwake going by this point. Other times you’ll have to deal with something via Living Wish.

Turn 4-5: Without significant disruption you can stabilize with either Confinement, a pile of Grasses, or Doomwake by this point.

I’ll get more into strategy against disruption or against a faster clock in more detail in match-ups below.

IV. Specific Card Choices

Argothian Enchantress, Enchantress’s Presence – don’t require an explanation.
    Eidolon of Blossoms – I found it too slow against Delver and Death and Taxes. If there’s not much agro-control in your meta-game it’s probably fine as a 1 of.
    Green Sun’s Zenith – only running 3 copies because of enchantment count concerns. This card is also very important in certain post-board match-ups, especially where getting Gaddock Teeg or Qasali Pridemage is important. Depending on the metagame might up to 4 but it’ll be difficult to find a spot.
    Living Wish – I think I’ve pretty much covered this.
    Doomwake Giant – This guy is business, if expensive. Still, there are lots of games where dropping him and one or two Wild Growths is good game, and having him main deck gives you more outs against Leobold and Spirit of the Labyrinth.
    Utopia Sprawl – Wild Growth and this don’t really need much explanation, but as a quick note, in this deck you just name “green” about 80-90% of the time, until you’re in the middle of going off and you need blue, or you start with a Doomwake in hand or know that you’re playing against Delver or DnT, in which case you name black.
    Exploration – not reliable acceleration in the first two turns, but very important to exploding turn 3-5.
    Gaea’s Touch – this card should usually net you one mana the turn it comes down, which makes it unique among enchantment acceleration. Against mana denial strategies (Delver/DnT), its ability to act as a mana battery can be crucial. Important to note: the forest being put into play is an activated ability, it can be stopped by Phyrexian Revoker or Stifle.
    Abundant Growth – a one mana enchantment that cantrips helps enormously around turn 3 when you’re trying to start exploding. The mana ability is actually very useful because it allows you to run a fairly Wasteland-proof manabase and still access whatever color you need. Also, you haven’t lived until you’ve tapped a fetch-land for three mana.
    Ground Seal – cantrips and stops Deathrite Shaman, Snapcaster Mage, Surgical Extraction and Life from the Loam. Also gives you a shot against Reanimator – though they can still Exhume
    Elephant Grass – the primary defensive card this deck runs, because it buys an absurd amount of time. To anyone who has played it in any version of Enchantress, I don’t need to extoll its virtues too much, but it’s a huge asset.
    Solitary Confinement - I'm running one in the main and one in the board - you want it in games where your opponent is the beatdown, and generally board it out in game where you need to play threats to win.

The Board:

Argothian Enchantress, Serra’s Sanctum, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Peregrine Drake. There are your combo pieces. Argothian gives you draw engine redundancy, Sanctum helps you generate fuqtons of mana, Emrakul is your kill condition, and Drake helps you reboot your engine and keep chugging.

Doomwake Giant Same as above, this guy is a beast and an alternate kill condition.
    Leafcrown Dryad When you need a blocker or an enchantment to keep drawing. She’s particularly useful against Delver.
    Brain Maggot Still testing it against combo, don’t have too much data on its relevance yet. Could also be useful if people in your meta play sweepers or other cards you just don’t have other answers to.
    Gaddock Teeg Your best card against combo, and okay against Miracles as well. 2x so that he can be GSZed or Wished game 2.
    Karakas Absolutely critical against Leovold, situationally important against Reanimator or Sneak and Show. If 4C Leovold is a big concern in the meta, I can run a second Karakas plus Knight of the Reliquiry to make sure I can get it out.
    Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage – important for a variety of matchups. Game 2 I bring in Pridemage against Death and Taxes, as Rishadan Port means it’s a lot easier to GSZ for 2 than for 3, and just blow him up the following turn.
    Phyrexian Revoker An answer to planeswalkers and a number of random situations.
    Choke – The perennial favorite card against blue control decks, also not bad against ANT.

V. Matchups

Czech Pile – 55%. Doomwake Giant is extremely difficult for them to deal with and if they stall your engine, a well-placed Elephant Grass can buy tremendous amounts of time. Living Wish into Karakas, as well as Doomwake Giant, Sterling Grove, Mirri's Guile, and Banishing Light give you a number of outs against Leovold, and your Ground Seals neuter their DRS and Snapcasters. Primary Living Wish targets are Karakas, Doomwake Giant, Argothian, Mistcutter Hydra, and Phyrexian Revoker(Jace/Liliana). You want to play your threats here pretty rapidly to avoid getting your hand stripped. Don't play aggressive Abundant Growths here for that reason, you don't want to just draw something that you'll have to discard. Leovold is their number one threat here, and if they can back him up with a Jace then you're in trouble. Usually they don't run Wasteland, so if you can get Karakas out in time, it can make the difference in who gets the win. Remember to just take the 3 damage, you want to bounce it at the end of their turn.

SBing strategy: Out – Exploration, Elephant Grass#4, Wild Growth #4, Argothian Enchantress#3, Abundant Growth #4 . In – Oblivion Ring effects, Choke, Qasali Pridgemage, Doomwake Giant#2. They'll usually bring in Surgical Extraction, so you want to reduce its impact against you as they'll almost certainly hit the Enchantresses first chance they get.

Grixis Delver – 75%. Builds MDing Cabal Therapy are about even. Primary Living Wish targets are Argothian, Leafcrown Dryad, Doomwake. Elephant Grass is critical in this matchup, so be careful not to walk it into a Daze or Spell Pierce unless you have to take that risk. If you can make it to turn 5 you'll probably be alright. It's important to know when to play around Daze and when to take a chance - if they don't have a Delver on board, just slow-roll your threats. Ground Seal is a good lead-in, because it stops DRS but they'll be loathe to counter it. If they dropped a turn 1 Delver though, especially if you're on the draw and it flipped, you need to just take the chance and get your engine online ASAP.

SBing Strategy: Out – Living Wish, Exploration#2, Enchantress's Presence#4, Abundant Growth#4 In – Choke, Leafcrown Dryad, Doomwake Giant, Ixalan's Binding, Solitary Confinement. Living Wish is cumbersome against them, so on the play I take out one copy, and on the draw I take them all out. Bring in major Wish targets and more things that can't be Spell Pierced or Flusterstormed. Having an extra Confinement so you can Fog with it if you need to can be life-saving.

ANT – 45%. Game 1 is a matter of whether you can tell what you’re up against. Duress is usually the biggest give-away. If you can tell, you Living Wish/GSZ for a Gaddock Teeg as fast as you can, or you can go for an aggressive Confinement. G2/G3 you have Choke, but they have bounce. Wish Targets: Gaddock Teeg (g1), Brain Maggot, Dryad Militant, Phyrexian Revoker (LED).

SBing Strategy: Out – Banishing Light, Ground Seal, Doomwake Giant, Enchantress's Presence #4. In – Gaddock, Choke, Qasali Pridemage. Bring in Pridemage for corner cases where they have multiple LEDs, keep a mana open to kill the first one in response to the second. You need to always have two hate cards out to win this, and if you get lucky you can catch them with a Choke.

Death and Taxes – 65%. Game 1 is dicey. If you miss more than two land drops before turn 5 you’re in trouble, and if they’re on the play and get T1 Vial T2 Port, that’s hard to get out of. Other than that their best bet is Spirit of the Labyrinth. If they have a Mom out you can’t spot removal her, and that’ll be rough. The best news for you is that Doomwake Giant is a fuqing beating against them, and isn’t affected by Thalia. Wish Targets - Doomwake, Reclamation Sage, Leafcrown Dryad.

SBing Strategy: Out – Living Wish, Ground Seal, Abundant Growth#3-4, Wild Growth#3-4. In – Leafcrown Dryad, Qasali Pridemage, Reclamation Sage, Phyrexian Revoker, Argothian, Doomwake, Karakas, Ixalan's Bining, Emrakul. Basically transforming into a Maverick-Enchantress Hybrid here. Living Wish is too expensive against their denial package, so the threats need to come in directly. Reducing your reliance on land-enchantments will reduce the amount of pain Port and Flickerwisp cause you, and your increased creature count makes Thalia a little less painful. You still need to out-resource them, so killing Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist is top priority.

Reanimator – 25%. Game 1 you have Ground Seal, but it’s slow compared to how fast they can go off and doesn’t stop Exhume. You can play Faerie Macabre or Bojuka Bog, but even so it’s unreliable. If this was a match-up I was concerned about seeing a lot, I’d go ahead and bring in some Tormod’s Crypt or Swords to Plowshares. Wish Targets: Karakas, Karakas, Karakas. After that, Phyrexian Revoker (Grislebrand), Reclamation Sage if they're relying on Animate Dead.

SBing Strategy: Out – Doomwake, Eidolon of Blossoms, Enchantress's Presence#3-4, Argothian Enchantress#3. In – Qasali Pridgemage, Reclamation Sage, Phyrexian Revoker (Grislebrand), Brain Maggot, Ixalan's Binding, Solitary Confinement. You need to go full control here, combo pieces need to come second to any chance at disrupting them. Game 2 they also bring in Reverent Silence. Honestly, I'd let other decks deal with these guys and just call it a day, this match-up is super one-sided.

Elves - 55%. You can probably imagine how this goes. They need to go off before Doomwake takes hold of the board and be able to get through Elephant Grass. Sometimes they'll just combo on turn 2 and there's nothing you can do about it. If they get Reclamation Sage bounce online it can be a pain, but that combo still trades with Doomwake. Pretty positive match-up G1. G2 Ruric Thar can be a beating you have to watch out for. Wish Targets: Peacekeeper, Doomwake, Spore Frog, Gaddock Teeg, Phyrexian Revoker (Heritage Druid/Wirewood Symbiote).

SBing Strategy: Out - Abundant Growth#3-4, Enchantress's Presence#4, Eidolon. In - Gaddock Teeg, Solitary Confinement, Ixalan's Binding, Brain Maggot. GSZ priority of Gaddock, Living Wish priority of Doomwake if you have the mana, or Revoker if not. Once you're past turn 4 you should be okay.

Team America(BUG Delver) - 45%. The hardest Delver match-up, they maindeck Abrupt Decay and often have Leovold, Emissary of Trest in the board, and they play Hymn to Tourach. This isn't too complicated a match-up though, it comes down to whether you can stick an Enchantress and get your defenses up.

SBing Strategy: Out - Living Wish, Abundant Growths, Exploration on the play. In - O Ring effects, Choke, Confinement, Leafcrown Dryad. You want to go a little more traditional here, lower your curve and keep your threat density as high as possible.

Miracles - 70%. I've mostly lost to them when they had fast starts with Monastery Mentor nonsense and a well placed FoW for my first Enchantress. Elephant Grass stops those situations, and Ground Seal stops their Snapcasters. If they're running Counterbalance, we have a very diverse CC, so it's pretty easy to play around it by just varying the costs of what you're playing, and most of our 1cc spells are fodder for card-draw anyway, which Counterbalance doesn't stop. Don't walk multiple creatures into their Terminus and you should be fine.

SBing strategy - Out - Confinement, 1-3 Grasses, Exploration, Wild Growth#4. In - O Ring effects, Chokes, Gaddock Teeg, Qasali Pridemage. Don't take out all your Grass because you will sometimes need it, but Confinement is almost never necessary here, and then only versus Jace, so [any white removal enchantment] will be better. Gaddock is boss against them, stopping FoW, Terminus, and Jace, plus random stuff like Engineered Explosives from the board. Pridemage will always have something to target, even if it's just Search for Azcanta, and it may remove a critical Ethersworn Canonist if they have it.

Eldrazi Stompy - 30%. The loss of fatty enchantments I think hurts this build(Moat would be great here), as Elephant Grass and Doomwake aren't super against them. Chalice hurts Doomwake by eliminating most of your fodder, and Grass isn't relevant against them most of the time. Wish Targets: Gaddock Teeg if you have control, Peacekeeper or Spore Frog if they don't have Endbringer out.

SBing - Out - Grasses. In - extra O. Ring effects, Qasali Pridemage/Wickerbough Elder

VI. Conclusions

I've been out of the legacy metagame for a number of years, and this deck is a project that's been going on for about a month or so and has involved several hundred games and many 10+ hour days of testing (I'm currently in Brussels awaiting the bureaucratic procedure accompanying my Visa application - I can't work until it's done and so I have a lot of downtime these days). It is by no means conclusive and thus I've put it in the Developmental forum.

That said, I think I'm on to something here. The deck is a lot of fun to play, seems to have important improved match-ups as compared to Solitaire and other versions of Enchantress, and has the virtue of costing less than $400, much less if you already own a single Bayou or most of the Enchantress cards. I'll be continuing to test and will update this post as I get back results.

4/17/18 - Updated with revised deck list. I would no longer classify this as a budget deck, but still relatively inexpensive for Legacy.
    5/16/18 - Updated with some small but dramatic changes. Doing some experimenting on MTGO.
    Last edited by SpatulaOfTheAges; 06-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Hymn-Slinger
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)(also Budget, it turns out)

Your tags need a good bit of work.

Also, you probably should have Thunder Bluff instead, but good luck with the development, as Leovold is a huge pain in the ass for Enchantress.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I'm stumped, there's sections that are tagging as if they're cards without any brackets near them.

Also if I had the Didgeridoos I'd play Thunderbluff in an instant

Hymn-Slinger
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    I'm stumped, there's sections that are tagging as if they're cards without any brackets near them.

Also if I had the Didgeridoos I'd play Thunderbluff in an instant
    You are missing a / to close the CARDS tag around Deathrite Shaman, in the second paragraph.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Maybe include "back to basics"?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I don't have a way to tutor for it and if I include it main-deck I run the risk of stalling my engine with a card I can't play. Obviously it would be a powerful sideboard card, but I feel like I'd rather have Blood Moon, since Dark Depths can still work around Back to Basics.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

if you are looking for green enchantment that takes care of things like planeswalkers, and artifacts and etc, instead of lignify you could consider using Song of the Dryads it hits lands as well.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    if you are looking for green enchantment that takes care of things like planeswalkers, and artifacts and etc, instead of lignify you could consider using Song of the Dryads it hits lands as well.
    I never knew this card existed...

Highly interesting option given it hits lands in addition to other types, can shut down Wasteland/Port/Dark Depths which is enticing, not to mention give a weapon to fight opposing Karakas in my own Dark Depths build. Given most decks operate so low to the ground the drawback of giving them a mana seems minor, so this may be better than Banishing Light in many lists not to mention easier to cast overall.

Hell in a pinch you could cast this on your own permanent to ramp if you're mana light, or can use it on an Elephant Grass that you wouldn't pay the following upkeep for.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It can also be used with Stage to get a copy of a non land. Enchant an Emmy, then copy it with stage. We use it in Lands.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Sick.

Slightly worried about giving them E. Grass mana but cancelling the ability to "freebie" flashback Therapy alone is probably worth it, much less hitting Jace/Depths.

Thanks for the tip, will be testing it out in that slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    It can also be used with Stage to get a copy of a non land. Enchant an Emmy, then copy it with stage. We use it in Lands.
    How are you putting a colored aura on an Emrakul in your RG lands deck?

Two hard-cast Show and Tells in a row, clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Went 2-1 at local FNM with a few changes, mostly budgetary

-1 Green Sun's Zenith
    +1 Choke (didn't play against a blue deck all night though)
    -1 Bayou
    +1 Overgrown Tomb
    1x Lignify
    1x Song of the Dryads

SB:

3x Leafcrown Dryad
    2x Brain Maggot
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Karakas
    1x Peregrine Drake
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Eidolon of Countless Battles
    1x Emrakul, the Eons Torn

Round 1: Death and Taxes

G1: I get the four land Exploration start so am able to avoid much disruption, but lack of Grass or Giants means I get pretty lower in life. Eventually I'm able to go off with a Wished Drake.
    G2: He's on the play and gets basically the perfect hand. Turn 2 Thalia with Vial, a couple of Flickerwisps and Port. Actually a random Thalia, Heretic Cathar seals it, preventing me from dropping a pair of Dryads to buy a couple turns.
    G3: He drops turn 1 Aether Vial for the third game in a row. I have a Pridgemage and spend turn 2 blowing it. He drops port and hits my Utopia Sprawl land. I don't have another land or Wild Growth effect and don't draw one for the next six turns, during which he also drops a Thalia. Still not sure whether I should've just let him have Vial for a turn and play Argothian instead, but probably yes. I did have Elephant Grass in hand to cast in the face of Port.

Round 2: 8 Moon

G1: This game goes super long. He starts with a turn 2 Trinisphere and follows up with a Blood Moon and Chalice at 1. Eventually Blood Moon is joined by Magus. He has a Chandra, Torch of Defiance and is building her up. I have a couple Enchantresses but not much mana. I get a Living Wish and first hit the Chalice, and start sticking Wild Growths and Explorations. Next I Song of the Dryads Blood Moon, while Doomwake eats his Magus. I get to 18 mana and cast Emrakul, using my last artifact removal, Pridemage, to kill his [cardsEnsnaring Bridge[/cards].
    G2: He has an aggressive start with Magus and Koth of the Hammer. I Revoker Koth, and am building my board but I don't know this match up and let his Magus drop me to six, where he casts Fiery Confluence.
    G3: This time I end up going agro with a turn 3 Doomwake, after he mulls to 5 and blows most of his wad on a Trinisphere. Unfortunately he also has Ensnaring Bridge the following turn. I'm able to GSZ for Pridemage, and he buys a few turns by hardcasting a Simian Spirit Guide then a Magus. He draws another Bridge and meanwhile has dropped a Chalice for 2. I make a stupid misplay and cast Living Wish into the Chalice when I meant to play Song first. So I just Song his Bridge and hope he doesn't topdeck another one. He doesn't.

Round 3: Pox

G1: He drops my hand to nothing with 2 Rack effects and a Liliana on the board, but not before I was able to stick a Presence. I topdeck another Presence, and that draws me an Abundant Growth and at this point he's out of cards and I'm not.
    G2: I let myself get pyched out about him having Liliana in hand, so instead of Wishing for Argothian, I Wish for Brain Maggot. It grabs a useless Thoughtseize, and he strips my hand and drops a bunch of Racks.
    G3: He strips my Enchantresses but I drop turn 3 Doomwake, then Wish for another one, and he's just not able to deal with the Giants.

so 2-1 in Matches, 5-4 in games. Some play mistakes to learn from. Still debating switching Lignify to Song#2. These were mostly creatureless matches and I would certainly have preferred Song in both, but I never drew my Lignify against DnT and didn't run into Delver, matches where I think that one mana matters, as does not giving them Elephant Grass mana.

lolspam
    Jan 2006
    Oregon

If you want a Wish-able, Zenith-able Exploration effect you could always try Azusa, Lost but Seeking.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

So I was finally able to put a mostly-complete list together and saddle up for a real tournament.

I ran the following list:

4x Enchantress's Presence
    3x Argothian Enchantress
    3x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms
    4x Living Wish
    2x Doomwake Giant
    1x Sterling Grove

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Abundant Growth
    2x Gaea's Touch
    2x Ground Seal
    1x Exploration

1x Ixalan's Binding
    4x Elephant Grass

2x Serra's Sanctum
    1x Savannah
    1x Overgrown Tomb
    2x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    13x Forest

Sideboard

1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Karakas
    1x Peregrine Drake
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Solitary Confinement
    3x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Choke
    1x Gaddock Teeg

Obviously I would prefer to have Bayou to Overgrown Tomb but my budget atm is limited. I would also like to have 1 md Karakas and a 3rd Serra's Sanctum for the Wishboard in place of Peregrine Drake.

Round 1: U/W Show and Tell

Game 1 he does little besides play cantrips and counter an Enchantress before I go off and win. I have him on Miracles and sideboard accordingly.
    Game 2 he plays a turn 2 Ancient Tomb and I realize I Have Made A Huge Mistake. He Show and Tells an Omniscience into play and that's all she wrote.
    Game 3 I bring in Pridemage as a GSZ target. When he plays Show and Tell I happen to have Ixalan's Binding in hand, and even better, it nails Emrakul. Unfortunately the next turn he plays Nahiri, the Harbinger.

0-1

Round 2: Eldrazi-Lands Hybrid

Game 1 I'm on the play and I get to 3 life before I Doomwake his board and get in there for his Ancient-Tomb-Shriveled life total.
    Game 2 he has a super fast start and a Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage to seal it.
    Game 3 I feel a little bad because part of why he lost is that he didn't fully read the Elephant Grass oracle text and thought he could just pay 2 to attack with Marit Lage. He has a Nature's Claim but that also gives me a turn, which lets me find a replacement grass and drop my SBed in Confinement.

1-1

Round 3: Esper Stoneblade

Game 1 I out-threat his answers and he doesn't have a clock fast enough.
    Game 2 was pretty much the same.

2-1

Round 4: Grixis Delver

Game 1 My Doomwakes eats his board after he burns answers on Enchantresses.
    Game 2 Ixalan's Binding erases his Delvers and buys me time for an enchantress to stick versus disruption.

3-1

Round 5: Czech Pile

Game 1: He can't really deal with a Doomwake Giant if it resolves so that's basically how this went.
    Game 2: He can, however, if he has edict plus Marsh Casualties. Also it helps if he has a turn 3 Leovold.
    Game 3: This is honestly the game where Leafcrown Dryad shone the most, by getting in there for like 8 damage and sucking up edict effects like a champ. Living Wish early grabbing Karakas was also key - keep those goddamn Trestians out of my board.

4-1

Top 8

Miracles

Game 1 This is a really good matchup obviously. He gets a turn 3 Monastery Mentor but two turns later my Doomwake eats them have I mentioned btw how fucking good Doomwake is.
    Game 2 I'm a lucksack so after he plays turn 2 Search for Azcanta on a Tundra and Underground I play Choke and he has no FoW.

Top 4

I'm a lucksack so the guy playing Reanimator has to go see his girlfriend's concert and I blow past my worst match-up.

Top 2

Grixis Delver

I've playtested against this deck a lot so probably shouldnt be making mistakes but I'm rusty to the whole tournament grind.

Game 1 He has a pretty gassy start and counters my first couple threats. Ultimately I have to bank on paying upkeep on Grass and Binding his [Deathrite Shaman], hoping he doesn't have a fourth land for his TNN and Delver but he does so that's it.
    Game 2 I make a mistake where after he counters my first couple Enchantresses I Living Wish for Argothian and have to pass with 1 mana, when I could've just waited a turn. Sure enough he has Cabal Therapy and I don't draw much else before his dudes beat my teeth in.

So 5-2 altogether, not counting my freebie in the top 4.

Doomwake was and continues to be Champion.

Leafcrown Dryad was useful but tbh I should probably get another Choke in the board so she might have to go.

The rando Sterling Grove is actually useful, especially if I'm bringing in Dryads and/or Doomwake #3. I had been running 2x Grove recently but cut it for the 3rd GSZ. Honestly I think picking between the two is tough and mostly depends on my sb.

I really need a Bayou. But I won a Tropical Island so maybe I can trade with someone.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Nice work, might have to find a few more [cards]Living Wish[cards] and give this a spin. Just wondering how has Abundant Growth been? I remember trying it out a few years back but taking it for some reason. I guess in the context of this deck it fixes for Doomwake Giant and helps drive down the curve.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Abundant Growth has been a great addition to the deck.

It serves a number of important roles:

-Alternate turn 1 play if you don't have Wild Growth or Utopia Sprawl.
    -Quick hand filling with a single enchantress-effect in play.
    -Card digging when fighting through disruption to get an enchantress-effect to stick.
    -Deep, cheap card digging with multiple Enchantresses when I desperately need to find another Elephant Grass.
    -This one might not be comfortable for everyone but I'll sometimes keep otherwise gassy hands that don't have an Enchantress but have 2 or more Abundant Growth or Ground Seal. If I can go turn 1 Wild Growth, turn 2 Abundant Growth, draw, then Ground Seal, I have reasonable confidence in setting up a good hand based on the sheer number of threats this version runs.
    -Mana fixing for Doomwake and the white cards, as you mentioned.
    -Along with Utopia Sprawl, allows me to theoretically run anything in my Wish-board. Right now that's just Peregrine Drake, but Magus of the Moon and Meddling Mage are potential candidates as well.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

I guess I should have asked this earlier, but I just noticed the 3 Leafcrown Dryads. Is it worth trying a Courser of Kruphix or is Reach the real reason to play it?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I've been curious about trying him, but those slots are primarily for dealing with Delver and Death and Taxes. The reach matters against both decks, as does being one mana less. I do like his ability a lot, but it would probably also be better with a shift away from Gaea's Touch and towards more Explorations.

Thread Information