Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: The Witch House (Nearly Mono-green Enchantress)(also Budget, it turns out)

Hey sorry for lack of activity, I just started a new job and I've had no time for testing or even my local tourney in the past month.

I've been leaning toward Pridemage because of reactive things like Food Chain combo. But I dunno, a 1-1 split feels like it's probably the most flexible, because getting the extra body out of Sage comes up in plenty of matches, like DnT and Eldrazi Stompy.

I do think that at least one Confinement main is the right call. I'm just running the one rn but I also have a Grove to grab it if necessary. Grove giving protection to Doomwake is also pretty solid but it does make the mana base more strained.

TBH in a combo heavy meta-game I don't think I'd run any version of Enchantress, although I suspect Living Wish gives this version a better chance than most others (except maybe a version of Eternal Win that fit in FoW).

If you test Magus of the Moon in the board let me know how it goes, he seems very promising.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

This build looks quite like your build (more so than like regular Enchantress...so I guess it belongs in this thread)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...gue-2018-03-10
    Last edited by Fjaulnir; 03-11-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    This build looks quite like your build (more so than like regular Enchantress...so I guess it belongs in this thread)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...gue-2018-03-10
    Thanks for finding this. Taking the liberty of copying the list here, credited to MODO user synapsetwitch.

3 Argothian Enchantress
    2 Doomwake Giant
    2 Elephant Grass
    3 Abundant Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    1 Sterling Grove
    2 Gaea's Touch
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Solitary Confinement
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Ixalan's Binding
    1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Living Wish
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Bayou
    1 Savanna
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath
    10 Forest

Sideboard is pretty sweet
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Leafcrown Dryad
    1 Minister of Pain
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ravenous Chupacabra
    1 Doomwake Giant
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Choke
    1 Karakas

Thoughts: The Helm kill makes sense. The deck is powerful but when it comes to actually ending the game we are S L O W. It's proven time and again to be strong in the deck, I see no reason not to jam it.
    Sigil continues to be a stable, fire-and-forget way to just kill people.
    2 Sanctums total in the 75. I'm assuming it's to minimize dead cards in the opening hand. No wishboard copy either.
    1 and 1 Karakas. Not needing a second Wish makes going infinite easier.
    I didn't even know Minister of Pain existed. Sweet choice.
    Gaea's Touch seems playable with 10 Forests. I can't imagine planning around dropping more than 2 lands with it anyway.
    Confused about Ravenous Chupacabra. I'm sure it's useful but it seems rough. Unless the plan is just to punish Show and Tell, but he already has Karakas and Emrakul for that. Any ideas on what he's for?
    I guess I need to give Leafcrown Dryad an honest shot now.
    Last edited by Watersaw; 03-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

So, in order to prepare for Eternal Weekend in May I joined MTGO again to grind a bunch with all kinds of Enchantress variants - I had noticed that as I hadn't played the deck a lot for 4-5 months my play had become slower and less steady, + I want to find out which one performs best in todays meta.

After starting with another list that disappointed, the Witch House variant is what I've started playing the last few days. I took the list that 5-0ed the online league 2 weeks ago because I like the maindeck RIP-Helm as an easy win button. That's also been the wincon like 80+% of the games I won with this deck.

Overall I'm impressed! I have only played 7 rounds yet, finished the first league 3-2 after a great 3-0 start vs Grixis Delver, BUG Delver and 4c Pile; then I got paired vs BR Reanimator two times in a row and lost to turn 1-2 Griselbrand drawing 14 every single game (it's Karakasable, but they often followed it up with either 1-2 Chancellors or a Tidespout).

Currently 1-1 in my next league, lost vs Death and Taxes and won vs Grixis Delver.

A thing that feels less good is the skewed matchups that seems worse than with other Enchantress variants I have played. I used to run a bunch of Leyline of the Voids in the sb (Or Faeries/Surgicals/Crypts) that didn't leave you dead to BR Reanimator. The current Witch House builds seem to just consider BR Reanimator, Storm and Burn a lost cause. (Storm I agree on, that's just too bad to fix. But I was 3-5 vs BR Reani with UG Enchantress and Opal-Wave so that matchup seems salvageable. And giving up on both Reani and Burn seems like it would give a lot of trouble in a 9-round tournament.
    Some of the Wishboard targets like Revoker that have less useful applications against most of the field seem like something that could be cut for cards that improve some of the more popular matchups.

The loss vs Death and Taxes was due to Rishadan Port cutting me off black for Doomwake for like 4-5 turns in a row while this guy had 4 maindeck Spirit of the Labyrinths that he dropped turn 2 each single game - Wish for Minister of Pain wouldn't have saved me vs Port either, I could Rec Sage 1 Spirit game 2 but he dropped another one turn 3, that's just too much hate to beat...

Anyway, I read up on the whole thread now and had a bunch of questions going forward before I'm buying into the missing cards in paper.

@Spatula, in which ways would you think your deck would be improved from your Brussels top 8?
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17966&d=311464&f=LE
    Like not cards that you'd randomly want to test but cards that have proven to be better/to be worth their slot more than ones in that list?

A card I haven't gotten around to needing yet (because too slow vs Delver, DnT and Reanimator which have been my only opponents) has been Peregrine Drake, is that really useful?
    If you want to use it to ramp into Emrakul, you'd need a 2+5+2 = 9 mana investment (2 Wishes into Drake and Emrakul) so that seems to be nearly only worth it if split over 2 turns; and with only 2 Sanctums in the deck it seems like it won't happen enough that Wish into Drake nets enough mana to be worth it anyway?

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Played my last 3 rounds vs Storm, Reanimator and Reanimator so I think the MTGO meta might just be too hostile for a build without turn 1 graveyard hate right now

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

A thing that feels less good is the skewed matchups that seems worse than with other Enchantress variants I have played. I used to run a bunch of Leyline of the Voids in the sb (Or Faeries/Surgicals/Crypts) that didn't leave you dead to BR Reanimator. The current Witch House builds seem to just consider BR Reanimator, Storm and Burn a lost cause. (Storm I agree on, that's just too bad to fix. But I was 3-5 vs BR Reani with UG Enchantress and Opal-Wave so that matchup seems salvageable. And giving up on both Reani and Burn seems like it would give a lot of trouble in a 9-round tournament.
    Some of the Wishboard targets like Revoker that have less useful applications against most of the field seem like something that could be cut for cards that improve some of the more popular matchups.
    Can agree on this, Storm feels even worse than before somehow.

As for now I'm going down to 3 Living Wish in favor of maxing out GSZ. My sideboard plan for Burn is actually dropping Wish entirely along with Doomwake Giant and going to 3 Solitary Confinement with 4 Argothian, and Emrakul in the main as well. Living Wish is actively terrible in the matchup but pre-board G/W Solitaire is more than capable of just crushing them, so it might work if we just shift gears to that.

Peregrine Drake probably isn't worth it. I never managed to get it off.

Played my last 3 rounds vs Storm, Reanimator and Reanimator so I think the MTGO meta might just be too hostile for a build without turn 1 graveyard hate right now
    merde. Time to make space then.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Anyone else been playing this in the past couple of weeks? Building towards Enchantress at the moment (have yet to play any actual games though!) and can't decide if my first attempt at playing it should be with UG, classic Solitaire style, or something more like this. Really like the look of that modo league list, but only having 2 Grass kinda scares me!

Also generally curious about people's take on Binding vs Banishing/Ring vs Cast Out. I've not really got any frame of reference so would welcome any insights (though I have seen a few posts on the subject in the Solitaire thread).

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Hey guys,

Hoping to get back into the swing of it the coming weeks, will be back in playtesting tomorrow so hopefully have some results worth sharing.

-Peregrine Drake/Serra's Sanctum - These are the same slot - I'm running Drake because I can't afford a 3rd Sanctum right now. I really don't like running more than 2 Sanctums MD because of how bad it is in most opening hands (even more so if you're not running Exploration), and at the same time, it can be key to either winning right then or to wish for in a mana light hand or against mana disruption. While this is a situational Wish target, it's also something that can come up against pretty much any deck, so I still feel it's worth it.
    -Oblivion Ring-effect of choice - I still learn towards Binding because I think it's better against some of our more important match-ups (Czech Pile, Delver). Cast Out has value against ShowAndTell and I suppose Elves as well so maybe it's just a meta call.
    -Solitary Confinement - I'm still running one MD and 2 in the board. I agree that in some matchups(Burn, Eldrazi), converting into Solitaire is the best bet.
    -Phyrexian Revoker - I wanted this guy to be an answer to Planeswalkers but he's just too fragile.
    -Gaddock Teeg - If I was to give up completely on Storm I'd cut him. His other applications are not as useful in my experience, but maybe other people have had more results from him.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

I ordered all the cards I was missing for this type of deck today (plus some other spicy bits for experimenting with)! Hopefully I can actually contribute some useful experiences to the thread.

I'll be running the third sanctum in the board. Trying to figure out what other useful wish targets I can play too, but the last time I played a deck with Living Wish was the Extended format where Tempest was still legal...

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Played my first games today! My first time playing Enchantress so had a really fun time. You get to draw so many cards! I played the 5-0 modo list from higher up on this page. I have a collection of random thoughts that I'll post here in case any veterans have any ideas. Also I'm not sure if I should crosspost in the main Enchantress thread - I don't want to bore people considering a lot of the same people are in both!

1. Every time I drew or played Binding, I tried to think to myself "would I rather this was Banishing Light or Cast Out?" and sometimes the answer was yes. I think I'll have to experiment once I've played some more different matchups.
    2. RIP seems really good right now. I would be interested to try one of the builds which is more invested in the combo (4 RIPs and 3 Helms). I wonder if I could play one copy of Enlightened Tutor to grab the Helm for those games where it'll just let me untap and win.
    3. Sigil and Gaea's Touch both felt like they could have been other things. I'm not sure if Sigil is necessary with Wishes, as it seems pretty easy to "just win" once the engine is going. Gaea's Touch wasn't a bad card, but it didn't really blow any games wide open either. I'm going to keep playing and see what cards I would consider playing instead, because the list seems fairly tight.
    4. Doomwake is a beating, but I actually found myself wishing that I had Words of War a couple of times. It just seems like a really easy way to win whilst also offering incidental answers to annoying creatures (Canonist, Leovold, Thalia, etc).
    5. I kinda want to be able to figure out how I feel about GSZ/Argothian/Arbor split. Only having 3 Argothians main reduces the number of crazy openers where you t1 growth into t2 argothian growth. Likewise, hands with Presence and GSZ but no growths would be playable with an Arbor but seem like bad keeps without it.
    6. SolCon is still so satisfying to jam. I won a preboard game where my opponent had superlethal and I only had 2 enchantress effects and 2 cards in hand, and just managed to always hit at least one enchantment every turn for long enough to get there.
    7. I wish there was a "default value" pick to get with Wish when you don't need anything in particular but have drawn a couple of them. Like in Cunning Wish decks I used to like to play something like a Fact or Fiction (this was some time ago!) so that if you don't need any bullets but want to be mana efficient you can still play it to get a universally powerful spell. I guess Argothian kinda fills that role, but it feels bad stacking them in postboard games when cards like Casualties/Electrickery/Deluge etc exist.

Anyway, there are my ramblings. If the denizens of this thread think it makes sense for me to post in the main thread too I'll do so - otherwise I look forward to hearing any recommendations for a newcomer to Enchantress!

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Played Friday at local FNM(10 people, 3 rounds), and Sunday at a Belgian Legacy Cup Trial in Ghent (~40 people, 6 rounds).

13x Forest
    2x Serra's Sanctum
    2x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    1x Savannah
    1x Bayou

4x Enchantress's Presence
    3x Argothian Enchantress
    3x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Living Wish
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms
    1x Sterling Grove
    1x Doomwake Giant

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    2x Exploration
    2x Gaea's Touch

4x Abundant Growth
    2x Ground Seal
    4x Elephant Grass
    1x Solitary Confinement

SB:

1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1x Karakas
    1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Doomwake Giant
    2x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Solitary Confinement
    2x Choke
    2x Ixalan's Binding
    1x Solemnity (Friday)
    1x Faerie Macabre (Sunday)

Friday:

Playtesting against Taro (Belcher): G1 I actually almost won because he played a 14-goblin EtW on the draw, and I was able to Sterling Grove for E Grass. But in the following four turns he topdecked exactly one belcher, one LED, one Tinder Wall and one Rite of Flame.
    G2 Things went the way you'd expect, T2 Belcher.

At the end of this I'll be making some general observations about combo match-ups that will include Belcher.

Round 1: Alexandre with Food Chain

G1: He has some disruption followed by the turn 3 combo, nothing I can really do here.
    in 1x Qasali Pridemage, 2xChoke, 2x Ixalan's Binding, 1x Solemnity out - 3x E Grass, 2x Gaea's Touch, 1x Exploration
    G2: I play an Argothian, he Golgari Charms it, I Wish for a Reclamation Sage to kill his Baleful Strix so he can't start his combo, he plays DRS, I play Ground Seal, we fight for a while and I get an Enchantress online finally and draw a bunch of cards - and then even though I haven't even been in for two months, he EoT Back to Natures. He doesn't have the combo ready, we fight some more and I stabilize again and get Pridemage on the board. I would've had this but in an effort to end the game quickly and get to G3 I tap out, like an idiot, and he casts a second Back to Nature, and my Pridemage sits there uselessly while he combos off.

Round 2: U/W Show and Tell Omniscience

G1: I don't really know how I won this but I guess he didn't have a Show and Tell early enough and I manage to go off relatively quickly.
    in 2x Ixalan's Binding, 1x Gaddock Teeg, 1x Qasali Pridemage, 2x Choke out - 1x Doomwake, 4x Grass, 1x Confinement
    G2: His first SnT reveals Omniscience and Ixalan's Binding. He doesn't have the instant speed answer ready so I'm safe. I play Gaddock and he manages to actually do some work, negating FoW and Engineered Explosives, and I'm able to start setting up. His second SnT puts out an Emrakul, and I Living Wish for Karakas. Pretty shortly I land a Choke and it's over.

Round 3: Elves

G1: Ground Seal slows his DRS opener, but he Glimpses into a sizable board. Elephant Grass and Confinements buy a couple turns until I set up Doomwake Giant.
    in 2x Ixalan's Binding, 1x Solitary Confinement out - 2x Gaea's Touch, 1x Exploration
    G2: Runs pretty much the same as G1 but his hand doesn't seem as good. Doomwake, protected by Sterling Grove this time, clears his board.

Sunday:

Rd 1: Stijn with Death and Taxes

G1: I keep a hand that might've been mulligan material had I known the matchup, on the play with Forest, Wild Growth, Serra's Sanctum as my mana sources. I get a turn 2 Argothian into Abundant Growth that finds me another land to replace the Sanctum that immediately meets a Wasteland, and his Wasteland T2 means he didn't get to drop his Thalia before I play a bunch of spells T3. A couple turns later Doomwake meets his board.
    in - 2x Ixalan's Binding, 1x Karakas, 1x Leafcrown Dryad, 1x Pridemage out - 2x Ground Seal, 1x Abundant Growth, 1x Living Wish, 1x Wild Growth
    G2: He has a Vial + double port opening but I have double fetches. I kept a relatively slow hand because it had Doomwake, but he gets an Ethersworn Canonist and Spirit of the Labyrinth online, and he Vials in a Flickerwisp to be able to Rishadan Port my Bayou during my upkeep, preventing me from casting Doomwake in time to stop his now sizable army.
    G3: He has to mulligan to 5 and drops a Port + Vial. I have Pridemage in hand and am able to immediately blow it up. Sure enough he doesn't hit another land drop for four or so turns, plenty of time to run away with it.

Rd2: Cristoph with R/B Reanimator.

This is the guy I dodged in the Top 4 of the last Belgian Legacy Cup Trial, and am not looking forward to this. At least I know what he's running going into it.
    G1: I keep a hand with Living Wish on the play, figuring as long as he doesn't go t1, I can Wish for Faerie Macabre and buy a lot of time. Sure enough he goes T1 Lotus Petal Entomb Grislebrand Reanimate. I Wish for Karakas but he runs away with it.
    in - 2x Ixalan's Binding, 1x Qasali Pridgemage, 1x Solitary Confinement out - 1x Doomwake Giant, 2x Gaea's Touch, 1x Exploration.
    G2: I struggle with a hand that is very gassy but has no Binding or Living Wish. I ultimately keep it because of Sterling Grove, but sure enough if he doesn't repeat his turn 1 play from last game. Elephant Grass buys a couple turns but he brings out Tidespout Tyrant and it's over.

Rd 3: Tom with Grixis Delver
    G1: I have to mulligan to four, keeping a land, Utopia Sprawl, Argothian, Wish, with a second land on top. I resolve Argothian, and next turn my Wished Leafcrown Dryad gets Dazed. He applies some Delver pressure and I actually start to stabilize but can't stop drawing lands, eventually he gets me.
    in - 2x Ixalan's Binding, 2x Choke, 1x Leafcrown Dryad out - 2x Exploration, 1x Gaea's Touch, 1x Sterling Grove, 1x Abundant Growth
    G2: I play turn 2 Dryad that eats an Edict, clearing the way for an Argothian. I draw both Bindings, that eat his Delvers and his Anglers (I asked afterwards, and he had an extra copy of Delver, but it ended up feeding a FoW, so might only have been a minor inconvenience). With no pressure, I stabilize.
    G3: He keeps a threat light hand with control, but his turn 3 TNN is met with a Doomwake Giant. With time to develop mana and play threats this one goes down pretty quickly.

Rd 4: Tijl with The Epic Storm
    G1: I start to suspect he's playing Storm T2 and am already dreading this, but his Ad Nauseum reveals nothing but lands, discard spells, and tutors, no mana at all. I play an aggressive Solitary the following turn and am able to stabilize with double Enchantresses, he scoops.
    in - 2x Choke, 1x Solitary Confinement out - 1x Doomwake Giant, 2x Ground Seal
    G2: He has to mulligan and has a relatively card light hand, I try to play an aggressive Confinement again but he has a much better Ad Nauseum that includes an Echoing Truth
    G3: He [cards]Duress[cards]es away my Confinement, I Living Wish for Gaddock and stick him. He plays an LED pre-emptively and passes, which I'm able to kill with Reclamation Sage. Sage and Gaddock put some pressure on him, and we end up going to time. I make a mistake by saying that I'm casting a Leafcrown Dryad as a creature rather than Bestowing her to get the extra damage in, and it makes it a draw rather than a win. I do play Choke just to make sure he can't combo off on his last turn, but this really should have been a win if not for my misplay.

Rd 5: Sam with Miracles
    G1: He actually blind topdecks a Terminus to answer my first Argothian, and I haven't played this match much so I stupidly double up on my next set, letting him get a 2-for-1 off his next Terminus. I Reclamation Sage his Search for Azcanta but now we're both in topdeck mode. He gets a Sage, which I attack but can't kill so he gets card advantage off it, and I land Eidolon. Both my Eidolon and Sage attack his now 3 Loyalty Jace next turn, and a Snapcaster brings back StP, killing both creatures. He starts racking up card advantage and plays a Monastery Mentor.
    in - 2x Choke, 2x Ixalan's Binding, 1x Qasali Pridemage, 1x Gaddock Teeg out - 4x Elephant Grass, 1 Solitary Confinement, 1x Gaea's Touch
    G2: I slow roll the threats this time, not walking into anymore double Terminuses. This works but has the downside of making the win really slow.
    G3: We're actually both playing pretty quick but of course this goes to time. He ends up having more answers than I have threats in the race, and lands a Mentor that would have killed me within a couple turns, so in this case the clock helped.

Rd6: Opponent no-showed.

Conclusions and Analysis:

Probably the most noticeable thing is that I brought in Ixalan's Binding in almost every match-up, the only exception being Storm. The trouble is that what it replaced was not consistent, and this decklist is almost entirely Engine Cards. Still, probably worth finding a slot for one in the main. Versus Cast Out, I think I continue to see Binding as more powerful.

Sterling Grove really pulled its weight, but I'm not sure that a second would be the right call, or what it would replace.

Sideboard: I do think we have to pick our poison with combo match-ups. There are tools to make any of them, even Storm decks, pretty winnable, but there's not enough space to deal with all of them. I'm going to make a follow up post in a little while doing some more involved anti-combo theorizing.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

My current proposed list is this:

3x Argothian Enchantress
    3x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Living Wish
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms
    1x Sterling Grove
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Mirri's Guile

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    2x Exploration
    1x Gaea's Touch

4x Elephant Grass
    1x Solitary Confinement
    2x Ground Seal
    3x Abundant Growth
    1x Banishing Light

2x Serra's Sanctum
    1x Bayou
    1x Savannah
    1x Karakas
    4x (green fetch)
    11x Forest

SB:

1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Karakas
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Reclamation Sage
    2x Leafcrown Dryad
    2x Gaddock Teeg

2x Choke
    1x Solitary Confinement
    1x Ixalan's Binding
    1x Seal of Primordium

I think this might give the best SBing options versus the field. MDing a 3cc removal spell gives another out versus SnT and Leovold, while giving some flexibility post-board in situations where you have to Grove for an answer, and 3cc might be viable where 4cc is not, while still giving you the un-Decayable option. I'm loathe to cut an Abundant Growth, but I think 1x Mirri's Guile will give you more adaptability versus grindy decks and get an extra boost into finding hate versus combo when you need it. Adding Guile and cutting a Touch makes fetches better, so I'm upping that to 4.

SBing strategies:

Versus Sneak and Show
    +1 Ixalan's Binding, +1 Seal of Primordium, +1 Gaddock Teeg, +2 Choke, +1 Reclamation Sage, -2 Ground Seal, -1 Gaea's Touch, -1 Abundant Growth, -2 Exploration

GSZ becomes pretty important post-board, being able to grab Teeg and enchantment removal. I think it's the right call here to bring in Sage, because your first GSZ target should be Gaddock Teeg, and if he's in play you won't be able to GSZ again, so you'll want to be able to Living Wish for Pridemage and sit on it.

Versus Grixis Delver
    +2 Choke, +1 Ixalan's Binding, +1 Leafcrown Dryad, -2 Exploration, -1 Sterling Grove, -1 Abundant Growth

Gaea's Touch is better than Exploration here because it lets you bank mana versus their mostly situational counter-suite, so I leave it in. Dryad as another option to slow down their early game via GSZ helps get you to where you want to be, preferably with them tapped out for E Grass and you having Choke.

Versus Czech Pile
    +2 Choke, +1 Ixalan's Binding, +1 Gaddock Teeg, +1 Leafcrown Dryad, -2 Exploration, -1 Gaea's Touch, -2 Elephant Grass

Here Gaddock shuts off FoW, Jace, and EE in the board, and with the increased creature count with Dryad, their Edict effects become less powerful, and you can expect them to have boarded out almost all targeted removal. Of course you still want to avoid running into Deluge.

Versus Omni-Tell
    +2 Choke, +1 Ixalan's Binding, +1 Gaddock Teeg, +1 Qasali Pridemage, +1 Seal of Primordium, +1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, -4 Elephant Grass, -1 Solitary Confinement, -1 Doomwake Giant, -1 Gaea's Touch

This one is pretty easy as you have a bunch of dead cards here. Unlike against Sneak Attack, Elephant Grass has no effective uses here. Unlike SnS, your first GSZ target is Pridemage, not Gaddock, so Reclamation Sage stays in the board. Bring in Emrakul for a chance to counter the odd Release the Ants win via Omniscience/Cunning Wish route.

Versus Reanimator
    +1 Ixalan's Binding, +1 Reclamation Sage, +1 Seal of Primordium, +1 Solitary Confinement, -1 Doomwake Giant, -1 Gaea's Touch, -1 Enchantress's Presence, -1 Eidolon of Blossoms

This is the matchup the suggested build is practically throwing. There's very little we can do here without dedicating a lot of SB slot to turn 0 GY hate like Surgical Extraction or Leyline of the Void. That said, our game plan has to come second to stopping theirs. You need all the acceleration you can get, some of the slower engine pieces can go in favor of potential removal.

Versus Lands
    +1 Seal of Primordium, +1 Qasali Pridemage, +1 Solitary Confinement, -1 Doomwake Giant, -1 Banishing Light, -1 Wild Growth
    Their main route to victory is Ghost Quarters, so reducing their average value off of those in exchange for some removal versus their SB cards like CotV and Sphere of Resistance.

I'll be updating this post in a little while, need to get ready for work.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    Played my first games today! My first time playing Enchantress so had a really fun time. You get to draw so many cards!
    Welcome to the deck!

I played the 5-0 modo list from higher up on this page. I have a collection of random thoughts that I'll post here in case any veterans have any ideas. Also I'm not sure if I should crosspost in the main Enchantress thread - I don't want to bore people considering a lot of the same people are in both!

1. Every time I drew or played Binding, I tried to think to myself "would I rather this was Banishing Light or Cast Out?" and sometimes the answer was yes. I think I'll have to experiment once I've played some more different matchups.
    Yeah, please do report your findings here, it's still unclear to me which is better.

2. RIP seems really good right now. I would be interested to try one of the builds which is more invested in the combo (4 RIPs and 3 Helms). I wonder if I could play one copy of Enlightened Tutor to grab the Helm for those games where it'll just let me untap and win.
    By all means you should try it, but maintaining a certain enchantment count is pretty important.

3. Sigil and Gaea's Touch both felt like they could have been other things. I'm not sure if Sigil is necessary with Wishes, as it seems pretty easy to "just win" once the engine is going. Gaea's Touch wasn't a bad card, but it didn't really blow any games wide open either. I'm going to keep playing and see what cards I would consider playing instead, because the list seems fairly tight.
    4. Doomwake is a beating, but I actually found myself wishing that I had Words of War a couple of times. It just seems like a really easy way to win whilst also offering incidental answers to annoying creatures (Canonist, Leovold, Thalia, etc).
    Sigil seems really excessive in that list, being the 4th win condition. And at five mana. Gaea's Touch is a gas card, like Exploration and Wild Growth. It's not especially impressive by itself, but without a certain amount of gas you're going to have difficulty going off reliably. On kill conditions, that brings up WoWar - while it would be nice to have a faster win con sometimes, WoWar by itself rarely does much, unless you're also playing Sylvan Library.

5. I kinda want to be able to figure out how I feel about GSZ/Argothian/Arbor split. Only having 3 Argothians main reduces the number of crazy openers where you t1 growth into t2 argothian growth. Likewise, hands with Presence and GSZ but no growths would be playable with an Arbor but seem like bad keeps without it.
    We talked about Dryad Arbor earlier, but ultimately it seems like she hurts you more than helps you. The thing is that she's basically a dead card if you draw her and don't have Exploration, since you can't afford to wait a turn on mana.

7. I wish there was a "default value" pick to get with Wish when you don't need anything in particular but have drawn a couple of them. Like in Cunning Wish decks I used to like to play something like a Fact or Fiction (this was some time ago!) so that if you don't need any bullets but want to be mana efficient you can still play it to get a universally powerful spell. I guess Argothian kinda fills that role, but it feels bad stacking them in postboard games when cards like Casualties/Electrickery/Deluge etc exist.
    I'd say that's more like Doomwake Giant's role. He's not just good against Elves and DnT, Czech Pile has very few answers to him and he can kill planeswalkers and go to the dome. Still, others are worth testing. Fate Unraveler seems fun, and maybe Courser of Kruphix could fill the spot you're talking about. For standalone threats, Lifeblood Hydra and [/cards]Kamahl, Fist of Krosa[/cards] seem solid. I guess it depends on what combination of threat/resilience/card advantage you want out of this spot.

Very interested in the last list of SpatulaOfTheAges
    I'm considering some personal changes (I would prefer one extra Sanctum in the SB for wishes and I have only one Karakas) but essentially my list will be very similar.

I have some questions:

-I think we will see a lot of the new DOMINARIA's Damping Sphere in the SBs This artifact can beat the Sanctum engine. We can wish in the Reclamation Sage to answer, but what do you think of to change one basic Forest for a second Bayou MB and include Abrupt Decay in the SB, perhaps in the Choke slots?

-Any experience playing this deck (or the Solitary Conf. version) against High Tides/ Spiral Tides?

Thank you.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by malekith View Post
    Very interested in the last list of SpatulaOfTheAges
    I'm considering some personal changes (I would prefer one extra Sanctum in the SB for wishes and I have only one Karakas) but essentially my list will be very similar.

I have some questions:

-I think we will see a lot of the new DOMINARIA's Damping Sphere in the SBs This artifact can beat the Sanctum engine. We can wish in the Reclamation Sage to answer, but what do you think of to change one basic Forest for a second Bayou MB and include Abrupt Decay in the SB, perhaps in the Choke slots?
    Man I wouldn't drop Choke if you paid me, that card has so much mileage. I'm honestly not very scared of Damping Sphere, there was a discussion on it in the main Enchantress thread http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...tress)/page267 - basically, I'm not sure many decks actually want it, and it only hurts us a little bit.

-Any experience playing this deck (or the Solitary Conf. version) against High Tides/ Spiral Tides?

Thank you.
    Not since the days of Solidarity. I imagine Gaddock Teeg gives you a shot, and the random Choke, but it seems pretty bad. Is that what you've found?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I've been playing on MTGO, where the deck is quite cheap, a little over 100 tickets (maybe less after I cut Emrakul(see below)). Mixed results, just went 3-2 with this list:

3x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Living Wish

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    1x Exploration

4x Abundant Growth
    2x Ground Seal
    4x Elephant Grass
    1x Sterling Grove
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Solitary Confinement

1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

2x Serra's Sanctum
    1x Bayou
    1x Savannah
    1x Karakas
    3x Windswept Heath
    12x Forest

sb:

1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Karakas
    1x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Mistcutter Hydra
    1x Spore Frog
    1x Peacekeepr
    1x Shriekmaw
    1x Dryad Militant
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Qasali Pridemage

1x Solitary Confinement
    2x Choke
    1x Ixalan's Binding

Some reasoning: I've been testing Kamahl as a way to turn GSZ into a threat with Leovold on the board. He's resistant to many forms of removal - if they edict, you can turn one of your lands into a creature. If they do a board sweeper, you can turn their lands into creatures. He is weak to Jace if he's online, and he dies to Lightning Bolt and StP, but not to Fatal Push. He's also a one-creature army that can end the game in many situations if you untap with him. The other real candidate would be Sigarda, Host of Herons, who can also randomly luck you out versus an Emrukal, but is countered as a threat by Baleful Strix, and this slot is primarily for the control match-up so I'm leaning towards Kamahl.

Maindeck Gaddock: To give you a shot versus combo decks game 1 (excluding Omnitell and Reanimator). Maindeck it's not as good against Miracles, as they'll just StP him, so I try to avoid revealing him, but my thoughts were that we need him somewhere in the 75, and game 1 he's much stronger versus most combo, since post-board they'll bring in bounce, and he's not really in your way too much. There's also been a couple games where I was able to misdirect the opponent into thinking I'm on Maverick by opening with him turn 2.

Emrakul out, Mistcutter Hydra in: I've been wanting a Wish slot for a while now that will kill Planeswalkers. I did a little testing with Timbermare, but I like Hydra better since they'll usually try to counter your Wish target rather than the Wish itself. In situations where you would cast Emrakul, you can just get an enormous Hydra instead - more often though, I've been just Overruning with Kamahl. But the point is that it does what she did, but it can also kill Planeswalkers to even the playing field when we're both in top-deck mode.

Other Living Wish targets: I've found Shriekmaw to be pretty weak, I'm going to cut it. I was hoping Dryad Militant would be a turn 2 Wish-able target versus Storm and still have some other applications, but against every other deck she's pretty useless unless she comes down turn 1 or 2, and it's almost always better to get something else with your GSZ or Wish. Peacekeeper is there for SnT, Elves, and Infect and has been pretty good in other situations as well. Spore Frog has also been pretty solid, giving you a cheap turn when you desperately need to stabilize.

O-Ring effects: the more I played with these, the more I ran into the same problem I had when Oblivion Ring first came out: they're entirely too fair. I want to create an unfair board state where my opponent can't accomplish their gameplan. Spot removal is a game they play much better than Enchantress does, and so it's almost always been lost tempo and easily countered when it matters most. It also doesn't hit Nimble Mongoose, True-Name Nemesis, or Mother of Runes. The only games I really want it are against Leovold, Planeswalkers, and Show and Tell, so I'm just relegating them to the board. If I was going to MD one at this point, it would definitely be Cast Out just for the cycling.

Going to update Matchup analysis on page 1 in a bit.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Been out of it for a while, hoping to get some games in soon because I have a few bad ideas I want to try.

Maindeck Gaddock makes sense to me. Gonna jam in 3ish pieces of discard to fight bit more.
    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa as the GSZ target seems sick. I'm gonna give Chameleon Colossus a spin until I'm able to find one. Oversoul of Dusk could even work as a more grindy option.
    With a tutor in deck having at least one exile effect main seems correct, so I'm going with Cast Out as card 61.
    Speaking of, Enlightened Tutor opens up Tormod's Crypt as a sideboard option. Will try 1-of.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Went 9-4 today with the following list:

3x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms
    3x Green Sun's Zenith

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    1x Exploration
    1x Gaea's Touch

4x Living Wish
    4x Elephant Grass
    4x Abundant Growth
    2x Ground Seal
    2x Solitary Confinement
    1x Cast Out
    1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Sterling Grove

2x Serra's Sanctum
    3x Windswepth Heath
    1x Bayou
    1x Savannah
    1x Karakas
    12x Forest

sb:

1x Doomwake Giant
    1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Karakas
    1x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Spore Frog
    1x Peacekeeper
    1x Dryad Militant
    1x Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
    1x Phyrexian Revoker

1x Banishing Light
    1x Choke

Steel Stompy 0-2
    Elves 2-1
    Eldrazi Stompy 0-2
    Death and Taxes 2-1
    8-Moon 2-0
    U/R Landstill 2-1
    B/R Reanimator 0-2
    Lands 2-0
    Mono-Red Sneak Attack 2-1
    Eldrazi Stompy 1-2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ)
    Czech Pile 2-1
    Czech Pile 2-0
    Turbo Depths 2-1

Kamahl was on point several times, however, there were definitely games where I would have preferred him as Mistcutter Hydra - against one Eldrazi player it would have won the game, since their Ancient Tombs had brought them so low. Oversoul of Dusk seems probably not as good as Sigarda, Host of Herons for grindy options in this slot, but Chameleon Colossus seems more solid as a GSZ target games 2 and 3, coming out earlier and getting more use out of Sanctum than Kamahl does. Let me know how testing with it goes.

Spore Frog is amazing, and won me at least two matches - against Turbo Depths and against Elves.

I'm still on the fence about Dryad Militant. She has been really solid against Tendrils of Agony decks when she's come up, but that match-up and Dredge are probably the only ones where she really shines, and it may not be worth the slot, if that could instead be another creature removal enchantment to help bolster the X Stompy match-ups.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is back in, largely because just relying on Kamahl required a lot more time, both because it's slower inherently and also because there's more room for mistakes and I'm still not great with the MTGO platform.
    Last edited by SpatulaOfTheAges; 05-28-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Went 5-0 with the following changes:

-1 Exploration
    +1 Gaea's Touch

-1 Abundant Growth
    -1 Solitary Confinement
    -1 Sterling Grove

+1 Ixalan's Binding
    +1 Banishing Light
    +1 Replenish

Sideboard:

1 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Karakas
    1 Doomwake Giant
    1 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
    1 Wickerbough Elder
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Spore Frog
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Solitary Confinement
    2 Choke

Went 2-0 against Azban Maverick and U/W Landstill, 2-1 against Steel Stompy, U/R Delver and 4c(Witchmaw) Stoneblade.

Having Replenish is amazing. I wish there were more non-enchantment spots open for a second. It just flat out wins games you shouldn't win.

Having more targeted removal helps in the blue-based match-ups, but I took out Cast Out versus Delver.

In this version I'm just preferring Gaea's Touch to Exploration. Banking mana and dodging Chalice at 1 has been nice.

I actually was really liking Devoted Druid + Vizier of Remedies, with the former MD and the latter as a Wish target, but the spots are so tight.

Congrats !

I am surprised : how can you reliably cast your white spells with just 1 Savannah and 3 fetches to get it ?

I was very interested by Gaea's touch, but I clearly don't play enough basic forests (5).
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Thread Information