Thread: PImpin on the Street: 5th Place 10/1 Legacy Challenge

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

PImpin on the Street: 5th Place 10/1 Legacy Challenge

They said he was done...

They said he was washed up.

They said his reign of non-blue tier 2 terror was over now that Wizards killed off Shortcake...

ALLOW ME TO REINTRODUCE MYSELF

No one actually said any of those things but for you young bloods who don't know me I used to exclusively play Painter in decent sized tournaments. It has been a pretty long time since I played in any kind of larger event but that's what happens when the only deck you've ever truly loved was murdered in cold blood.

Additionally and more importantly, it has been even longer since I graced you guys with one of my epic tournament reports.
    (Let's throw it back to more than a year with some baller self-promotion and pour one out for our fallen homies)

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...hallenge-Top-8

Strap in for another instant classic boys

The loss of top was much bigger than it originally seemed. When you were already playing a TON of really bad cards you needed primo card selection to even have a chance against other legacy decks. I am still holding out hope that someday someone who actually knows Legacy will be in charge of managing the banned and restricted list and that all the incompetent miracles pilots will learn how to resolve a top activation before the next solar eclipse happens. Personally I feel like banning Terminus would have opened up a pretty interesting dynamic where aggro might have been able to resurface and would require Miracles to play a tap out 4 drop sweeper. That could be completely wrong and I'm biased obviously for Shortcake but that's neither here nor there now.

What could be done was to revisit some of my old pals. In this case Dredge. See while I was always playing Painter, I still enjoyed messing around with unfair decks during the now old-school scheduled Legacy Daily events and Legacy Queues. Yes Shortcake can be categorized as unfair based on some of its draws, but I'm talking about the decks that are so powerful that they require the opponent to be playing crippling hate in order to be stopped.

Furthermore, I love playing unfair decks because they reveal who the standard and modern players are. These are the players who bitch about you playing solitaire and winning on turn one and that what you are doing isn't playing Magic. I would much rather play against the Vintage player who accepts the variance and enjoys turn 1 decision trees. 'Be the one asking the questions, not the one trying to have the answers' type of thing. Plus I love old cards and Odyssey Block has always been my favorite, so naturally Dredge is the choice.

Here is what I played:

4 Mana Confluence
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Cephalid Coliseum

4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Putrid Imp
    4 Cabal Therapy

4 Street Wraith
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Breakthrough

4 Ichorid
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Bridge From Below

4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug

Sideboard:

2 Dread Return
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Ashen Rider
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Memory's Journey
    4 Firestorm
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Nature's Claim
    2 Wear/Tear

I won't pretend to be a Dredge expert, I won't even pretend to be a super experienced pilot either. I play this list because it's how I like to play dredge. I want to PImp slap and utterly ruin every single Deathrite getting sleeved up. I want to be able to dredge on turn 1 and want to bring back every Ichorid every turn as early as possible. Street Wraith accomplishes both and PImp makes up for the lack of Wraith discard. It also gives you a better turn 1 nut compared to careful study. I'm also a huge fan of Firestorm, so being able to cast it and PImp consistently is a big deal for me, hence the ten gold lands and only two coliseum. I also like the 1-of Memory's Journey to recur shit. That's all I've got to say on the deck construction.

I ran this through some leagues for practice and got a decent number of 4-1's, but I always seemed to lose the first game of the set before running off the rest. Clearly I just lacked skill and would never be (imperial) recruited to the infamous lollipop guild where they teach you the dark secrets of the legendary 4-0 Popeye scoop.

For the actual event, the journey started the day before, when I ran my Welder-Academy deck through the Vintage Challenge going 0-3 to 3-3. It's actually a lot like dredge in the sense that game 1 you can usually just rip through your deck wheeling nonstop before facing every piece of artifact hate imaginable for games 2 and 3. I got By Forced for 7, energy fluxed, null rodded, ancient grudged, you get the idea. I decided to avenge my poor Vintage showing with a Deathrite domination in the Legacy event the next day.

Round 1 vs GutoCmtt on non-Deathrite Grixis Shit

Game 1: I mull and keep a hand of troll, looting, 2x coliseum, 2x gold land and scry a Breakthrough on top. He plays swamp go. On my turn I loot and get a Wraith and a Stinkweed and pitch both dredgers and then immediately wraith. I hit an Icho and a Bridge with more than enough black creatures matter in the yard. He taps out for a Pyromancer, and I dredge Stinky on my turn but don't hit any other dredgers. I coliseum to dodge daze and prep to drop bombs on turn 3. He ponders, blind therapies my breakthrough, and flashes back naming Abandoned Sarcophagus to snipe two bridges. I dredge troll, and with no bridges in my yard I swing with my Icho and 2 zombos, and then coliseum for infinite, hitting 2 narcs, 2 bridges, and 3 therapies. Scoop 'em.

Side: I assume he is probably on deathrite/surgical so I board in 4 firestorm/1 Journey taking out breakthroughs and a Thug and prep for the grind (stone)

Game 2: I keep City, PImp, LED, 2x Stink, Thug, Narc. He ponders and probes me and I draw Coliseum on my turn and drop down my LED and PImp. His turn 2 is nothing more than another Ponder and a brainstorm. I think for a bit and then decide to drop a Thug and an Imp on my upkeep because I don't really care about Surgical if he does have it and if he doesn't then I want the extra card from Stinkweed. He still decides to surgical my Imps. I dredge thug and PImp it back to the yard. Between the dredge, discarding, and sacced LED i have enough to go for a Coliseum activation, which gets two narcs. I misplay a bit and decide not to therapy for FOW since I only have 1 bridge and was feeling greedy. The looting does in fact get Forced, but he's so low on resources that I was able to comfortably win a few turns later.

1-0

Round 2 vs capsula1 on Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V Delver

Game 1: I keep 2x LED, Wraith, Mine, Breakthrough, Bridge, Coliseum. He goes Delta pass, I draw PImp and play it, drawing out a Force. He brainstorms on his turn, fetches and plays a Deathrite. I draw and play looting, but still can't find a dredger, and ditch my two bridges. My hand is still masked from how explosive it is luckily. During his main phase he eats my looting and plays a 2nd deathrite, leaving himself with 1 card in hand. On my turn I draw Big Daddy Grave Troll and phone little rocket man asking if the launch codes are ready. I get the go ahead. Drop double LED put Breakthrough for 0 on the stack hold priority Wraith hold priority sac LED for Red, Wraith dredge the troll, sac LED for blue, resolve breakthrough, activate coliseum, and flashback looting. He scoops.

Side: like above

Game 2: I keep PImp, Bridge, Ichorid, Troll, City, Mine, Thug. He drops Deathrite t1. I draw narc, play PImp and it gets dazed. He replays his land and passes, I draw firestorm, lay my other gold land and pass. He eats daze eot and then drops a Pyroman 1st main and swings with deathrite. I go for the blowout punish and firestorm for 3 but he has a force. I can't really get anything going after that.

Side: When I'm back on the play I'll usually bring breakthroughs back in and shave some stuff just so I can power through deathrite hoes.

Game 3: I keep 2x Gold, Troll, Firestorm, Looting, Icho, Breakthrough. T1 looting gets forced, leading into a wasteland on my Mana Confluence. I draw a 2nd troll, drop the other mana con and pass. He ponders on his turn and end step I say fuck this noise I firestorm dome us both for two ditching the trolls. I dredge troll, and then breakthrough with absolutely no respect for any counters and it resolves. I hit enough gas that the game ends.

2-0

Round 3 vs qbturtle15 on RUG Delver minus the G

Game 1: Lose the roll and keep Mine, Breakthrough, 2x Icho, Narc, Troll, Stink. I keep because I lost the roll and was planning on slow dredging t1 and then once my yard was established going Mine into Breakthrough gg. He goes volc Delver but then I draw a PImp and contemplate what Luda would do in that spot

PImp resolves and on his turn he lays a wasteland and I'm like oh shit, but he taps out for a Pyroman and probes. I PImp the Icho's, the Stinkweed Imp and the Troll into my yard, bring an Ich back eating the Imp, dredge troll, PImp it back, and then Breakthrough for a million.

Sideboard: Pretty sure i boarded the 'storms and journey

Game 2: Keep PImp, 2x Gold, Stink, Thug, Looting, Bridge. He lays Volcanic and passes. I draw Firestorm on my turn and say if you want to grind then lets dance bitch. Discard Thug eot. His turn 2 consists of a Volc and a Pyroman. I dredge Thug, getting Ichorid-Stinky-PImp-Narc. Play land PImp gets dazed. Hmm okay. Replay a volc, ponder, and then surgical my stinkweed imp, nailing the other in my hand as well. Not looking as spicy as it once did now, especially when my draw step yields another Narcomoeba. I decide to firestorm his Pyromancer and dome for 2 right now, and then swing in with what I have dropping him to 10 and leaving him with 3 leftover tokens while leaving me at a still somewhat comfortable 16. However, my 2nd main phase looting gets flusterstormed and with no bridges in the yard, only 1 thug, and dwindling food for my only ichorid it's not looking good. Even more bad news was the delver he played on his turn. Like a true champion destined for top 8 greatness I forego dredging my thug and topdeck an LED. I drop it and flashback looting and hit enough to ensure I win the race.

3-0

Round 4 vs Butakov on 4c Loam

Game 1: I lose the roll and keep 2x Gold, 2x Looting, Breakthrough, Troll, Street Wraith. Verdant Catacombs, go. I draw another breakthrough for my turn and cast a looting, pitching my troll and a drawn stinkweed imp and cycle my wraith. His turn two consists of dropping a Gaddock Teeg, nullifying both of my Breakthroughs. I dredge Imp during my draw step and loot main phase, but my dredges are pretty poor so far, as I only get 1 Narcomoeba, 1 Ichorid, and still no bridges. Despite this, I therapy away my narc and assume he's on a junk/rock deck and name Knight of the Reliquary since any Green Sun's would have already been played but are also turned off by Teeg. I nab one and see a pfire among other stuff so I know its 4c loam. During my next turn he ends up Pfiring his teeg to get rid of some of my bridges, but that frees up my breakthrough which is good enough to end the game.

Sideboard: I expect a lot of random permanent-style hate like Deathrites, scooze, Chalice, Leyline, C-Priest, Knight-fetch-bog etc. so I bring in a grudge, claim, wear/tears, firestorms, dread return package for ashen rider cutting the PImps and shaving a lot of other stuff down.

Game 2: I keep Mine, LED, Narc, Ichorid, Therapy, Troll, and Thug while my opponent mulls to 6. He lays down a Savannah and passes. Alarms start going off in my head like wtf did he keep. I draw a Stinkweed Imp and decide to therapy my opponent, thinking that my LED negates chalice on 1 as well as Wasteland, a leyline would have already been played same as deathrite, knights kinda slow, maybe Green Sun but I figure I can power through that with a good drawstep, the only thing I can't beat at all is RIP but 4c loam wouldn't play that so I name Containment Priest and bingo I nail one of those ugly ass invocation versions and think to myself that thing deserves to get blind therapy sniped. All that's left is a loam, wasteland, bayou, and swords to plowshares so I'm feeling pretty solid as long as my draw is good. He plays wasteland but lets me keep my Gemstone Mine. Draw step is Cephalid Coliseum whadddupppp. No chance for Wasteland interruptions as I sac LED for red leaving exactly 7 cards in the yard. I go to town with the coliseum and follow it up with a looting to end it.

4-0

Round 5 vs Janchu88 on Stuffy Doll Combo ha yea right it was another Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V Delver

Game 1: I lose the roll and keep a nice little hand of PImp, Breakthrough, Bridge, Stink, 3x Gold. Delta go from my opponent, and I draw an Ichorid for my turn. I lay down a gold land and play my Putrid Imp. He floats a black mana and it gets dazed. Nice job telling me that you play fatal push bro. My mana confluence gets taken out by a wasteland on his turn. I proceed to draw another PImp and play it off Gold Land #2, setting up a supreme blowout when he tries to fatal push my creature. As expected, he does just that, so I discard my Ichorid, Stinkweed Imp and Bridge. I'm so set with double putrid imp for my Ichorid with a zombie already in play. I dredge during my draw step hitting a narcomoeba, swing with my squad and put him to 14. I don't have any other dredgers so I just play another gold land and breakthrough for 0 to fill my yard and play around daze. I end up dropping the stinkweed imp I had from before, a therapy, a wraith, and two more ichorids. With the bridge already going to town and the threat of three more ichorids on my next turn he concedes.

Sideboard: 'storms for the journey

Game 2: I keep Gold Land, LED, Firestorm, Street Wraith, Troll, Stinkweed, and Therapy. Catacombs-Sea-Deathrite for my dude. I draw another Gold Land and with the pseudo-wasteland protection I'm now afforded I decide to therapy him for force of will while also praying he walks into a game ending firestorm by dropping another creature. I miss and see another deathrite, tarmogoyf, polluted delta, and flusterstorm. Tricky. I play out my LED afterwards so as not to build up storm count during the detonation that will certainly take place. His next turn he plays the delta, fetches for a bayou immediately and drops the other deathrite off the sea. I draw a faithless looting and hatch my master plan. 2nd Gold Land comes down and I loot off the first one. He lets it resolve, no fluster. I pitch another land i drew and a stinkweed imp. I cycle the street wraith and he's clearly thinking for a bit. Oh Dear Lord he chooses to eat the Stinkweed Imp. Homie had no idea what he was in for.

FUCKING FIRESTORM EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

5-0

I had been watching the standings each round and saw that Bryant was also rolling off the W's so I figured there was a good chance we would finally get paired

Round 6 vs Brian on Goblins

Game 1: I lose the roll and keep a hand that will go off turn 2. He speculates on what I could be on, deciding to guess painter and goes for it turn 1. I get rolled by a brainstorm into triple dark ritual ad nauseum. I scoop to conceal my deck as I could still potentially be on some ghetto painter list ha.

Sideboard: Dread Returns + Iona, chop PImps maybe?

Game 2: I mull down to five and keep Looting, Gold Land, Troll, Thug, Bridge and scry and see an LED on top, nice. I don't hit any narcs with my dredges but two ichorids will be ready next turn. I survive the night and don't get turn 1'd. Petal-Brainstorm-lay a fetch for Bryant. My turn I bring back the Ichs and get a Narc, but only one therapy. I channel my inner Mark Wahlberg and snipe an Infernal Tutor. I see a Burning Wish, Chrome Mox, Petal, Swamp, and a Duress left behind. Land go, I swing for lethal and an echoing truth kills a bunch of zombies and stalls for a turn. A last ditch brainstorm doesn't get there.

Game 3: I keep 2x Gold, 2x Troll, Breakthrough, LED, Ichorid. Turn 1 Duress takes my Breakthrough and he plays out an LED. I draw a 3rd Gold Land and play an LED of my own. Mine was the Mirage version vs his ugly new border one so I was already destined to win. I had to decide if it was worth it to just use the LED as a discard outlet to get the trolls going but figured I would never be able to race that way so I held off on saccing. Land-probe go from Bryant. I drew a trusty PImp on my turn and passed, I just had to dodge one more turn and hope to get a looting in those 6 cards. He plays a fetch and passes. The dredge gets there and I get two lootings. PImp back both trolls, lay the 3rd land and sac the led to loot. No Narcs yet. Tap all three lands flashback another looting. On the 5th grave-troll dredge of the turn I finally get there, getting triple Narcomoeba.

I still only hit one therapy, but did get a dread return+iona. I see his hand is only rite of flame, duress, and swamp so it was some pretty bad draws. I bring back Iona and name black since I figure the only way I lose is topdeck infernal into ad nauseum into boarded in tendrils. Another last ditch brainstorm on his turn doesn't get there.

6-0

Round 7 vs Dneeley on Unknown

I'm the only 6-0 at this point and he asks me to scoop him in because Wizards doesn't know how to implement intentional draws online. I'll still be #1 seed even though it doesn't mean shit since Wizards also doesn't know how to program in the play/draw rule. I scoop so I can enjoy my free hour not worrying about winning the last round.

6-0-1

Top 8 vs Gsy on Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V Delver

Game 1: I luckily survive the die roll and my opponent mulls. I keep City, 2x Looting, Troll, Stinkweed, Thug, Wraith. Looting gets forced pitch brainstorm. His turn involves Probe-Misty-Tropical-Deathrite. I draw Therapy on my turn and my 2nd looting resolves, I draw a bridge and another city and ditch two dredgers and cycle wraith, hitting a narc, ich, and a yard-therapy. I misplayed this one. I should have pitched my bridge. I hand-therapy my opponent naming ponder and hit and leave him with a brainstorm and sea. I was thinking I would be fine through the deathrite but i should have realized I needed zombies right away and with the right dredge (which I got) I could cast up to three therapies for turn if need be. I ended up letting him keep the brainstorm because I felt like I had to keep the Narc in play for potential bridge zombies. I end up having to sac my ichorid the next turn to therapy myself to get the bridge down and then hardcast a Thug to yard-therapy for two zombies and still even manage to hit another deathrite that the brainstorm had left in his hand. But he then plops down a True-Ape Nemesis I'm guessing he left on top and my army lacking two extra zombies isn't able to win the race.

Sideboard: 'storms and journeys as always. I know these decks play grafdiggers cage. I just choose to ignore it and if they get it down well hopefully I have some creatures in play and can still get some bridge triggers to finish it off.

Game 2: I keep LED, Firestorm, Gemstone Mine, Stinkweed Imp, 2x Ichorid, and Therapy. I name Force and hit and see Delver, Stifle, Pyromancer, Ponder, Brainstorm, and Sea left behind. Sea-Delver-Go. I draw and play a Coliseum to play around top decked daze, and then firestorm for 2 discarding Imp and Ichorid to kill the Delver and shock him. I play out my LED as well and am 1 card short of activating Coliseum so pass. He brainstorms on his turn. Wastelands my Coliseum and surgicals my Stinkweed Imp. Well that's that. The game carries on for a while as I can't really do anything. He's stuck on 1 land for basically the whole game but manages to play a Gurmag Angler, Delver, another Ponder, a Grafdigger's Cage, and some Deathrite's for good measure. I just take it like a bitch and die.

6-1-1

So that concluded my nice little Dredge run. Probably could have won game 1 there if I thought through it more and pitched that bridge. Probably would have gone to the finals as well and beat Bryant again but alas, it'll have to wait til next time.

-Stay PImpin

#FreeNedleeds
    Last edited by Kap'n Cook; 10-23-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Re: PImpin on the Street: 5th Place 10/1 Legacy Challenge

Good shit, congrats!

I miss Shortcake. Mtg has not been the same for me since. Fuckers.

Have you tried Painter #invintage?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

well this is fantastic. i hope do well again so i can see more of these.
    -rob

Bryant Cook

"Brian"

You might've won the battle, but I won the war ;)

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

@Soldier

Never tried Painter in Vintage, although I do know that there is the 'two-card monte' deck. I like to think that Vault-Key is similar and doesn't have to worry about creature removal plus I just think Wheels.dec is probably way more fun even if it is probably 'bad'

@Bryant

Nice win, although I do think I am now leading the head-to-head :) Don't worry, I'll probably just win the next Challenge
    Strawberry Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Great read!

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

When you read another masterpiece Kitchen report and it ends with #freenedleeds

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Awesome report!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Stoked for another report.

Congrats on winning the Classic!

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Fortune View Post
    Stoked for another report.

Congrats on winning the Classic!

Thanks yo. Aiming for tomorrow my dude :)
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Thread Information