Thread: Aethermage's Touch and OmniTell

Oct 2017
    Northern Virginia

Aethermage's Touch and OmniTell

I was introduced to this card a while back and honestly I think it seems quite interesting: Aethermage's Touch. I'm considering it in a homebrew OmniTell I've been working on for a while now because:

• You get essentially a surprise blocker (when cast on opponent's turn) and then a free swing with something like Emrakul
    • It doesn't seem too CMC-expensive at 2UW
    • you get the creature back into your hand at the end of your turn, allowing you to then cast it with Omnscience at some point
    • you potentially can remove cards you don't want/need to the bottom of the deck

However, looking at other commentary on this card, the community seems kinda split on it. Gatherer's comments seem to show that people don't realize it's an instant (most of the issues seem to be focused on summoning sickness which isn't a problem if it's played on a turn other your own), but why doesn't this card see more play otherwise?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Aethermage's Touch and OmniTell

Is the idea that you put the creature on top with Brainstorm first?

Why be cute when you could just win? Like, in what situation does OmniTell need a surprise blocker to warrant taking up a card slot?

Oct 2017
    Northern Virginia

Not trying to be cute, just trying to be creative. Brainstorm would really only allow you to put a creature from your hand back into the top 2 cards of your deck (Aethermage's Touch looks at the top 4 so I don't see how Brainstorm would make a difference given it re-shapes your hand using the top 3), so I suppose Brainstorm would help you guarantee you have something to put out there if you already have something in your hand. I would think being able to look 4 cards deep (1/15 of the deck) would help you find your attackers more quickly if you didn't have them in your hand already.

What I'm trying to gauge is how useful Aethermage's Touch is as a sort of backup/complement to Show and Tell. I've played games in tournament settings where opponents have targeted and removed all 4 copies of Show and Tell. Aethermage's Touch is in my deck's colors (White/Blue), and I would think that (as an example) swinging with Emrakul for CMC 4 (which is the same CMC as Sneak Attack) and then potentially getting her (or some other powerful card from the top 4 cards of my deck) into my hand afterwards is a pretty nice effect I would think. Am I wrong in thinking that though?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

A couple things, and please realize my tone is intended as or

This question is best suited for the OmniTell thread in Established Decks. It was a few pages deep so no harm, no foul!

It might help if you post a decklist. For example, OmniTell is typically mono-U, or splashes black or red. From your original post, it is unclear if the intention is to use it in a list splashing white, only play it after Omniscience hits the table (for free), or as a wish target in the sideboard (again presuming Omniscience is already on the board). Some OmniTell decks play 3 creatures (1 Griselbrand, 2 Emrakul), but most run 6 (3 Griselbrand, 3 Emrakul). So unless you've Brainstormed a creature to the top, your chances of whiffing off Touch is reeeeeeeeally high.

Would you play Show and Tell without a monster or Omniscience in hand to show?
    Why would you pay an extra mana to have a small chance to maybe get a creature until your next end step?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by MtGStudyGroup View Post
    Not trying to be cute, just trying to be creative.
    The danger of 'creative' things. ;)

I would certainly float this in the Omni thread, but I really don't see the value of adding an extra step to 'just win the game already' if you have a live Omni.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

In the mirror, perhaps.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2015
    PDX

I still think you just win more games with Cunning Wish and -1 SB slot as Eladamri's Call, given all the other utility that Wish provides (also you don't run the risk of drawing Call).

Thread Information