Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humans (SCG Modern Open Winner, undefeated)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Humans (SCG Modern Open Winner, undefeated)

Quote Originally Posted by Icapica View Post
    There's also Dark Confidant, though you'd be taking close to two damage per turn on average.

Edit -https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185778032?t=04h33m55s Human deck against Grixis Delver on SCG. There's Confidants in the deck. The player seems to be the same guy who won the modern tournament.
    Said player went 5-4, so there's definitely room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Said player went 5-4, so there's definitely room for improvement.
    Does said player have a list we can start with?

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    Does said player have a list we can start with?
    Although I'm not the said player, my list is a legacy one and has been properly tested for several months...

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1027666

Mar 2007
    RI

There seems like there are a few different directions you can take this archetype - the core seems best as WB with Mother, Thalia, Confidant, Freebooter - as value plays and Champion and Lieutenant as agro.

From there White offers depth in Recruiter, Palace Jailer effects, Canonist and Containment Priest sb. Black facilitates Orzov Pontiff.

Blue can provide Meddling Mage and Reflector Mage - though I can’t tell it’s better than the White exile creatures.

Green can offer Noble Hierarch, Mayor, Sylvan Safekeeper.

Red provides Magus of the Moon, pingers and ‘Shatter’ effects.

I think 4-5 color builds have merit though I’m not sure if having better mana in 3 colors isn’t superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TPDMC

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    There seems like there are a few different directions you can take this archetype - the core seems best as WB with Mother, Thalia, Confidant, Freebooter - as value plays and Champion and Lieutenant as agro.

From there White offers depth in Recruiter, Palace Jailer effects, Canonist and Containment Priest sb. Black facilitates Orzov Pontiff.

Blue can provide Meddling Mage and Reflector Mage - though I can’t tell it’s better than the White exile creatures.

Green can offer Noble Hierarch, Mayor, Sylvan Safekeeper.

Red provides Magus of the Moon, pingers and ‘Shatter’ effects.

I think 4-5 color builds have merit though I’m not sure if having better mana in 3 colors isn’t superior.

Red doesn't offer much, as Magus of the Moon nukes your own manabase.

Noble Hierarch seems to play a major role to stabilize the manabase and make it more resilient against mana denial, alongside Vial.

Pikula seems like a great denial tool. Reflector Mage gets its job done even if it's killed, and in combination with Pikula it can stop certain creatures permanently. Probably a combination of Reflector Mage and Palace Jailer might be best.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

There was an old deck called Baseruption which played Shadowmage Infiltrator (alongside Dark Confidant), which happens to be a Human, too.
    Maybe it's worth consideration, if this deck needs a draw engine and Confidant doesn't fit or isn't enough.

Red offers Harsh Mentor, which I recall was considered Legacy playable when spoiled. And Grim Lavamancer, but it needs fetchlands.

Mar 2007
    RI

Humans (SCG Modern Open Winner, undefeated)

Nothing substantial but I sleeved up a variant for a weekly 12 man and piloted it to 3-1 tonight.

I ran

4 Aether Vial

4 Wasteland
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    1 Plateau
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Arid Mesa

4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia Guardian is Thraben
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Kitesail Freebooter
    4 Thalia’s Lieutenant
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Orhzov Pontiff
    1 Banisher Priest
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    1 Palace Jailer

3 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Manic Vandal

I faced

BW Deathrite Ale Rd1 2-1 and Wasteland took him off White 2 games.

Infect Rd2 1-2 I was able to take the middle game with Cavern fueled Freebooter and Meddling Mages shutting down business and his counters being dead in hand. The other 2 games a threat landed and lethaled

Elves Rd3 2-0 I got some early Champion pressure and Mom with Swiftboots taking a Glimpse. Moms proGreened to push Lethal G2 I had Champion into Freebooter into Orzhov Pontiff into Mom + Banisher Priest into Canonist + Cage.

Czech Pile Rd4 2-0 Game 1 I ground out and was able to close before he established control. Game 2 I had fetch Plains Mom into 2 drop into Magus of the Moon to his board of Strix and duals. I was able to follow up with a few more guys castable off Plains and eventually Aether Vial.

Again just early testing of this configuration. Figured I’d share.

TPDMC

Mar 2007

One thing I found yesterday was Wizard Mentor - it's quite expensive without Vials to do full laps since it bounces itself, too. On the flipside, it's fetchable with Recruiter and could do some serious grinding. It also synergizes with stuff like Pontiff, Palace Jailer and Thalia’s Lieutenant.

@from Cairo: How much mana do you have lying around normally? I'm still interested into the Mirror Entity tech.

Mar 2007
    RI

Most of the games ended with 3-5 land. Mirror Entity might be fine.

TPDMC

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    One thing I found yesterday was Wizard Mentor - it's quite expensive without Vials to do full laps since it bounces itself, too. On the flipside, it's fetchable with Recruiter and could do some serious grinding. It also synergizes with stuff like Pontiff, Palace Jailer and Thalia’s Lieutenant.

@from Cairo: How much mana do you have lying around normally? I'm still interested into the Mirror Entity tech.
    I think it fills a similar role to Reflector mage, which I feel is better.

Wizard Mentor bounces your own creatures so it's very different from Reflector Mage.

It's cute, but probably far too weak most of the time.

Mar 2007

Has anybody tested Gitaxian Probe in this deck yet? It would seem like a major boon for early sequencing, especially with Meddling Mage. Freebooter would probably benefit as well, knowing when to take a card.

Legacy Humans
    This is a Human-based aggro / prison deck playing enough hatebears and disruptive creatures that plays a small number of spells. This deck is based strongly on the builds by Sam Castrucci and Jogee (mtgo) seen in the vintage meta game. If it is powerful enough to see play in vintage it could have a chance in legacy. However, color fixing and acceleration must be taken into account as there are no moxen when adapting the legacy version. Also, the hatebears need to be wider as there are more than the only four prevalent decks in legacy than vintage. Artifact hate slots were thinned out since MUD is not a strong concern in Legacy, while storm and dredge hate slots were kept the same. Nevertheless, the deck is still in progress, but here is a current list.

4 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Brass
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Harsh Mentor
    2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    1 Kitesail Freebooter
    4 Mana Confluence
    2 Manic Vandal
    2 Mayor of Avabruck
    1 Meddling Mage
    4 Æther Vial
    3 Noble Hierarch
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Reflector Mage
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Thalia's Lieutenant
    1 Grand Abolisher
    4 Unclaimed Territory
    4 Wasteland

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Aegis of the Gods
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 4 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Orzhov Pontiff
    SB: 2 Izzet Staticaster

This particular list is built so that Unclaimed Territory can cast any creature in the entire deck alongside Cavern of Souls. The only non-human here is Phyrexian Revoker, but is only uses the colorless mana.
    Mana Confluence is...mana confluence, a rainbow land in a five color deck. It is technically better than City of Brass, but I've yet to see Tangle Wire-like effects become mainstream in legacy.
    Both Thalias' roles are similar to their role in most decks they are played in such as Death and Taxes. A resistor effect combined with Wastelands and disruption to slow down combo while being a threat at the same time.
    Harsh Mentor, Meddling Made, and Kitesail Freebooter are disruption creatures that are also threats.
    Kambal and Scab-Clan Berserker give this deck protection against the broken combo decks by making most "one big turn" type strategies impossible to utilize. The brainstorm, ponder, preordain builds that many Legacy decks use also become a liability when facing down Kambal, Consul of Allocation or Scab-Clan Berserker.
    Manic Vandal isn't incredibly impressive, but it's a Human that can take out an artifact. Not sure if it needs to stay in the Legacy version, as it was main deck include for vintage due to the widespread use of Moxen and MUD archetype cards.
    Aether Vial is pseudo-acceleration to replace the Moxen and allows creatures to be put into play at instant speed. As a result, Null Rod is removed from the main deck. Also, Null Rod is not as strong in Legacy as it is in Vintage. Once again, because there are no Moxen in legacy and MUD is not the strongest deck in Legacy.
    Reflector Mage is one of the only ways this deck has to deal with an opponent's creature. This is an important ability that could save your life when you're fighting against a Griselbrand or a Spaghetti Monster.
    Mayor of Avabruck and Thalia's Lieutenant act as anthem effects.
    Noble Hierarch is great mana fixing and acceleration.
    Dark Confidant is the only source of card draw advantage; the mana curve of the deck is low enough to use Dark Confidant.
    The sideboard is mostly made up of additional hatebears.
    Containment Priest and Grafdigger's Cage are good against any cheat creature into play decks such as Natural Order, Show and Tell, and Reanimator builds. (Grafdigger's cage doesn't work against Show and Tell).
    Aegis can also do some work against combo decks that win with Tendrils of Agony, but good protection against any discard based deck that may also use cards like Liliana of the Veil and Diabolic Edict. It is a Leyline of Sanctity on a creature.
    The Pontiff's ability to shrivel the opponent's creature's power and toughness is good against decks like Elves, Death and Taxes, and Merfolk that can wipe the board without wiping our side of the field.
    Melira, Sylvok Outcast is kind of narrow and only good against infect. It can probably be removed since Infect is on a downtick in popularity lately. But it is good to know there is a human that exists for infect if it it rises in popularity again.
    Grand Abolisher plays a bit like a Defense Grid. Good against blue decks with a lot of counterspell effects. Sometimes, Cavern of Souls in not enough, or cannot be found naturally.

Link: http://deck.tk/9YpF2GBd
    Legacy
    &
    Vintage

Thread Information