Thread: MUD Piloted, 22nd at Eternal Weekend, main Event. Report.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

MUD Piloted, 22nd at Eternal Weekend, main Event. Report.

If anyone has any questions,I would be happy to explain my experiences in more detail. I am new to the site, as I recently joined at the urging of a friend. My deck is listed on the Established Decks master thread under MUD. Yes, I like MUD. Lol.

Here is the report.

Event was Pittsburg, PA Eternal Weekend
    Overall Record was 9-2

Rd 1: Twin and Tell 1-2 Loss

So, I opened my day with a t1 petal, city, show and tell. It started quick and dirty. I had a fair hand. I looked at my opponent, not yet knowing what deck he was on, other than I was about to have to poop something outta my hand and hpe for the best. Assuming that the poop from the other side of teh table was omniscience, prison was the best policy. Assuming it was grissledaddy, I also had a blightsteel collossus. I chose the safe play and pooped out a trinishpere. It was the wrong artifact, because suddenly demon.

The g1 was fast. He hit for seven, drew seven, discarded lands, and passed.

T2 endstep, he plays a pestermite tapping down my t2 monolith. Untap, land three splintertwin. Say whaaaaaaaa?

Game two was equally lopsided in the other direction. Mine. I cut out all of my trinishperes. They seemed bad. The only spells that mattered in his deck were cmc 3 or more. I sided in a sphere, and kept the thorns. I played a t1 thorn, a t2 grieves, a t3 worker, equipped grieves, showed staff, ballista, and three other artifacts, and we went to g3.

G3 I kept a hand that should have gotten me there. I was stupid. Here's the sitcon. I mulled to six. MUD mulligans often, and ....sometimes even to five or four to win. I kept a city of traitors, a cloudpost, a glimmmerpost, a monolith, a worker and a orbs of warding. I SHOULD have played differently than I did. When I scried I saw a staff on top of my library, which I left there to t3 him again. I played cloudpost and instantly regretted it. I SHOULD have played city, monolith, t1, passed and force checked him by floating, playing cloudpost, tapping monolith and playing orbs t2. It turns off his twincon, pardon the pun. His pestermite, which was a 1/4 officially beat in for 0, if so. Instead I got t3ed by pesermites. Lots. I died with an all is dust in hand and the distinct need ot kick myself.

1-2 loss to twin and tell

RD 2: All iN Belcher 2-0 Win

Oh. My. God. I rolled low, again. WTF? Oh yeah, totally my M.O. I keep forgetting.

So, My opponent mulls to six and I keep seven G1. He opens with a git probe, and I instantly get a sinking feeling when his face drops seeing two thorns, two sol lands, a lodestone, a cloudpost and a glimmerpost. Long story short, he draws a card, and does the following. Poops out six cards. LED, Chrome mox, imprinting a simian spirit guide, a petal and a ... blank crome mox, holdinng one card? Odd. So, I draw, play a tomb, play a thorn and pass back. He draws, sighs and pass back. I say to him. Oh. OH.You're on belcher. I am...really, really sorry. Play sol land, play lodestone. Pass. He draws, and reveals his ahnd. It's a ritual, a tinder wall and a belcher, which he can't cast. Yep. G2

G2, I keep seven, he again mulls to six. I fullly expect a t1 kill. It goes instead more or less the same way, except he dumps his entire hand without a belcher. I draw, play a sol land and play a sphere of resistence. He sighs, and draws. He has six 'mana.' Passes to me. I play a lan, and a thorn. Things go darker. He draws, and passes. I play a land and a metalworker. He asks, 'do you have it next turn?' I draw, show a staff and four artifact. He asks, 'how would you like this to end?" I say, '11 infect?'

2-0 win vs belcher.

Rd 3: Wingding White Eldrazi Stompy 2-0 Win

G1, I am AGAIN on the draw. My life. F. My. Life. I am feeling a little annoyed by it, but I can't change this. I gotta make my own luck. So, my opponent looks at me. And looks. He asks, 'didn't I sit next to you yesterday?' I had played the trials to get byes, but I had been playing BUG control at the time, which was a mistake. Anyway, I didn't particularly remember. He descides to mull, and I keep seven. He scries at six and I say go ahead. He opens with a tomb and a chalice on one, and smiles. I look him and say, 'resoolves I guess.' I draw. I then proceed to do dumb things. I play a cty of traitors into a monolith into a metalworker, and pass. He looks at my Japanese foil metalworker, and calls a judge for what it actually does. They step away, they stap back. He draws, and plays a wasteland and wastes my city and passes back. Sure. I play a cloupost, and pass, showing nothing, fearing mightly the coming of a thought knot seer, because I have a a really, really stupid hand. He draws, and plays an urborg and a rehaper. Ok, fine. I draw, and play a glimmerpost. I activate metalworker, and float mana off of six artifacts. 12 Mana with three on the field. I play grieves with 10 floating, tap cloupost for 2, play a blightsteel and equip the grieves. He looks at his hand, looks at the blightsteel, reads it and we go to g2. I didn't even take a damage.

So, I will establish that at this point in the tournament, I have a flawless record vs eldrazi decks. I hadn't even ever lost a single comp game to an eldrazui player. I kinda wanted to continue that streak.

G2 goes kinda worse than g1 for my opponent, it just takes longer. I get a t2 worker, which he warping wails. I thought it was odd that he even either kept it in or sided it in, but I guess i can see it. I thought maybe it'd get revoked or something, but I am still in good shape until his t3. He plays lands on curve. But t3 he topdecks an urborg. His t2 play was mimmic, mimmic off an eye. With urborg, eye and a soul land he plays a...ugh. Reality smasher. I go to five. I draw. I play a glimerpost and have seven mana. I play a wurmcoil engine, aaaaaaaand, my opponent stalls our. He plays a thought knot seer , triggers the mimics, and swings. He has 13 damage, but I also gain six life and nom his smasher. I am unclear on why he swung that turn or what he was haunting for, but the thought knot took my staff. My next two turn are crucial. I need disruption to stop and to start turning the corner. And for his smashers to stop coming. I draw...a bottled cloister. I play cloister, and play inventor's fair. I pass, unable to swing with wurmcoil, yet for fear of a lethal crackback. He draws, and plays another thought knot...forgetting that I technically have no hand as of his upkeep. He can swing 12, but I will wind up losing only two life in the exchange and drawing a card, leaving me at 6 life. I draw from cloister, and draw for turn. Thjis is where we turn the corner. I gain a life from fair and go to seven. I play a glimmerpost and go to 11. I play a ghirrapur orrery. Orrery plus cloister trigger very oddly. On upkeep if yo stack the triggers properly with both in play you draw five cards each turn. You still need to discard to hand size at end of turn, but then your hand disappears on your opponent's upkeep. Rince, and repeat. So, i sit behind my wurmcoil for one. more. turn. I draw five cards. I play another glimmerpost and go to 16. Then all hell breaks loose in the mana dept. I look at my hand. I look at him. I play a greaves, resolves. I play a worker. Resolves. I equip worker, resolves. I look at him, and I think he realizes the game is over. Float six. I have staff in hand. However, without thre artifacts in hand AND staff worker and a creature on field I can't combo. Oh yeah, inventor's fair. Pop fair. Get Ballista. GG.

2-0 win vs eldrazi stompy

Rd 4: Vial Merfolk. The oddest of scoops. 2-0 win

I'll skip the details and leave it at this. We had competitive games that should probably have resulted in a different outcome. He scooped to me on the stack of the last game because of exhausion and migraine. Nice guy.

Unwarrented 2-0 win vs fish

Rd 5: Esper Meentor Deathblade. 1-2 loss, with caveats.

I refuse to go too deep into this without ranting. So, here's the deal. The dude top 8ed, but he was not a totally clean player. After the match, I ran into two former opponents who approached me to speak to me about his deck, and play style. Without prompting, we had common experiences, and realized he had marked cards, kept extra cards from brainstorms (according to them. I did not see him do it vs me), played incredibly slowly when he won g1, if he did, had a really odd attitude, and shuffled at waist height almost under the table. We all spoke with the judges. I will never know what came of any of that, as it is not my place to know. I do know that he got his ass handed to him on stream in the t8, which means two things., He wasn't kicked out of the tournament and walked off with more money than he deserved. I would be happy to discus with any judges who wish to speak with me, ever about the joker. Jackalope.

1-2 loss to a dirty esper player. Sorry, not sorry if you are him reading this. They also called you out on camera.

Rd Six: Storm 2-0 Win

At this point, I was really, really pissed off. I needed a game to get my groove back. I roll the die, and for the first time all day win the die roll. I look at the records, and although I am coming off a loss and an opponent who dropped I was paied up to an x1-1. Ok, wtv.

I keep at seven on the blind, fuming. I play a tomb and a thorn, which all day was pretty much my t1. My opponent sinks into his seat. I pass. He plays a poluted delta, cracks for a basic swamp, and play s a chrome mox, imprinting a brainstorm. He pays two life, and taps mox to probe. I am pretty sure I am looking at a TES player who thought he was going to t1 some fool. I lay out my hand. He scoops up his cards. Yup. Storm.

G2, he is on the play and mulls to six. I keep at seven, again. I had way too many keeps at seven that day. Felt weird. He plays fetch, grabs island and ponders. He keeps on top and draws. He then plays petal, petal LED...and passes. I am really, really confused why I have a t1. I draw my card and play cty, chalice on one. On the stack he cracks petal and brainstorms. I pass back. He untapps and draws. He shuffled his hand, and shuffles his hand, and suffles his hand. and. I. get a concession. He signs the slips, and drops. And walks out shaking his head.

2-0 win vs storm

Rd Seven: Helmpost Stax

I lost the die roll. Ok, so back to the same old. I keep at six after seeing no lands. The keep is a little loose. Cloudpost, Tomb, Chalice, Lodestone, Forgemaster and Staff. First time all day I have seen a forgemaster. He opens with a chalice on one. Jeez. I must look like a delver player or something. I keep getting chaliced. Ok, I guess. I draw a glimerpost. Sure. I play a tomb, which I thoughroughly expect to get wasted. It gets wasted and he plays a ... helm of obedience? off of two monoliths? OH. oh. uh. Ok? So, what ensues is the grindiest of grindfests. I never do combo g1. He kinda just gets out valued. I draw a cloudpost. I play CP into CP into glimmerpost. He plays a Ovinomaster? Something with dealthouchie snakes, and begins milling me looking for creatures. I keep worrying that he might hit my emperion. Not sure I have a hell of a lot of ways of dealing witht the thing g1 other than a spine. So, we grind. I play lands, and he literally grinds me until the board state on his side is a snake, a master, MY lodestone golem, which Id like back, that chalice and a trading post. Stax doing staxie thing. Then we start big brothering. I draw a wurmcoil, which I play. And then I draw a Golem. Not a lodestone. Np. A Sundering Titan. He had played an urborg. Oops, I mean that tomb you've ben shocking yoruself with is a swamp right? Well, that was g1. He pretty much killed himself with his own ancient tomb hunting for one of my win cons to kill me.

I actually had to side out both the emperion and the blightsteel. Felt so unbelievably odd. I put in the Karn, kept the ugin, and swapped the other two for bridges and swapped three lodestones for a orbs of warding, crucble of worlds and another all is dust fearing rip, leyline and or tezzeret, although I had seen none of those g1.

G2 Goes much quicker than G1. I crash down a t2 orbs off a city monolith t1 and a city, and mana t2. Play crucible. He descided to play a bridge for me t3. I play ugin t4. Get scoop t5. I don't think anyone did any real damage to anyone other than getting a rediculous board state. He had no significant interaction, and conceeded to the inevitable. He actually also t32ed, from what I heard.

2-0 win vs Stax

Rd Eight: UW Stoneblade and Taxes 2-1 Win

I mean this in the best possible way. The dude is a kookie guy. I mean so am I, so I should only mean it nicely. I am sure he'd feel the same. G1 wasn't much of a game. I never got my feet under me. All my important early interaction met with counters, he hits a t2 stoneforge mystic intoa t3 swords my lodestone into just stonebladey control things. Ok, it happens.

G2 is the most rediculous game I have ever played vs a UW deck. I am pretty sure he was tasting victory for the majority of the game. The game ends lke this. I was at 3 life, mainly fraon repeatedly gaining life from swords to plowshares, glimmerposts, and grit. I have been drawign way too many cards off of a coercive portal, a staff and a cloister. I have not been able to stick a worker for the life of me. So, I played intermittant cloudposts and glimmerposts and vesuvas to stay alive and occasionally get stuff countered. I had been sandbagging two lands for the wordl's longest time. One way a inventors fair, which I play, the other is a cavern of souls. My opponent was at 19 life from a fetch and had a hand of seven cards. I pop fair on his end step and grab a balista. I start counting mana. I have two monoliths untapped, and alot of clouposts. I play a cavern while counting. I play a balista on 21. Yes. 21. Yes that is offcially a rediculously tall order, but IDGAF. Ping him from 19 to zero. Oops.

G3 is more back and forth. The game ends with this sequence. My board is a portal, a staff, and a set of boots and a forgemaster. I have a very, very small amount of time to make something happen before being overwhelmed by an angry mystic with a jitte, a batterskull germ and a snap. He casts countil's judgement and I see him look at my portal. Most control decks do not like opponents drawing more cards than them. I really need him to let me keep drawing cards, so on the stack, before we vote, I tap down his germ, untap my staff and draw a card off of staff. He votes for staff. I have a hand that consists of staff, worker, orrery, and a glimmerpost. He had to force or snap swords so many things that this judgement leaves him hellbent. I am pretty sure he's never played this game before this match so I kinda have to roll the dice that I draw one more artifact that isn't a blightsteel the next turn. He votes for the existing staff. I guess I do too. Weep, weep. He swings with the mystic, pumps twice, and the snap. I choose to block the snap. He removes the two new counters and one old one to kill the forgemaster, which was actually summoning sick. He bit. He bit sooooooo hard. I untap. I draw on upkeep. Vesuve. F me. Draw for turn really slowly. My buddies are behind me bc they were all done. It was like three minutes out from turns. I am pretty sure that they have no idea that this window exists because he is tapped out, I fed him a line and he took it. I peek at my card for turn. "Hellbent?" I ask. Yea. I had tapped down his germ with the staff. I rub my hands together and flip. a. hellkite. Ohhhhhhh yea. Sequencing. I play the worker. I equip the boots. I float all the mana in my lands and the mana in my hand. It was exactly enough to play the hellkite AND go infinite. I grab a blightsteel on an empty board. 11 infect is lethal I hear.

2-1 Win vs a game UW stoneblade player

Round Nine: 2-1 Win vs...holy shizzzzznit. A mirror. 12 Post Drazi

Another lost die roll. Another t1 chalice on 1.

Ok, so, Drazi again? I am thinking. I draw. I go t1 Monolith off a tomb. I have a fairly slow hand. Pass. He untapps. He smiles. He says, "I think we're in a mirror." He plays a cloudpost and a monolith.

Long story short on g1, I learned some new things. I learned that cloudpost counts ALL posts on the field, not just mine. I was issued a game state violation for not announcing the dissolution of floting mana by a judge. It isn't because he was a bastard. No. He was a provocoteur. He wanted to see idiocy, like a Cezar at a gladiatory competition. I mean, he and antoher judge parked themselves behind me to watch the single. biggest. dumbest game of magic. The place had massively thinned out by rd 9. There were only about 100 people left in the place, and a lot of judges were beginning to chill a bit unless called. Most of the remaining players were skilled and knowledgeable. He casts an ulamog AND a kozilek the following turn. ok, cool. I got big brothered. Jeez. when does that happen. Well, it did.\\\

g2 is three fast turns that invovled a t3 arbitrtarilly large ballista that went unchecked

g3 was boss. Cloudposts were played. He plays a t4 oblivion sower and steal a tomb and a vesuva, and uses the tomb and a floating mana to play a monolith into a thran dynamo. Him copying a cloudpost with a vesuva lost him the game. I get first crack at a stupid amount of mana, as I had played three straight cloudposts, and a monolith of my own already. I untap for t4. I play a glimmerpost. There are, at this point, five posts on the field, my three cloudposts, my/his vesuva and my glimmerpost. I float 15 mana from the coudposts, and play my Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger from the board. I exile his/my vesuva and his dynamo. I use the other floating mana to cast a metalworker, and a grieves. I leave him with a tapped monolith, two tombs, and 22 cards in exile after swinging with senoir hasty eldrazi. He takes the 10 like a man and drops to 6. Untap and Draw. He drops his hand on the table. I was so screwed if I had let him untap after me. He had newlamog too.

2-1 win vs Big Brother Eldrazi Post

Rd Ten: Storm 2-0 Win

I don't actually remember much of rd 10, hillariously. I was beginning to fatigue a bit after the last rd. That game was more draining than I thought it would be considering that it all went down in 22 minutes. My opponent looks both familiar and already shaken when we sit down. We shake, and he introduces himself as though I might already know him. I win the die roll and he looks at his deck a little annoyed. Oh dear.

I have my notes and pad. Both games I didn't really deal real damage, only emoitional damage. I was literally the only one who took damage g2, all from my tomb, as I played thorn, thorn, lodestone, and he scooped. That opponent also t32ed. Mustve won the last rd. Sad for him, because in rd 10, he was x1-1. Not anymore.

2-0 Win vs storm

Now it's round 11. 2-1 Win vs RG Lands

Oh. My. God. I am running so hot. I won 7 striaght at this point. I kinda tasted some cash. Maybe it was just the promise of dinner. Or perhaps the soul of one more victim. My opponent had lost his first game all day the previous round to literally the guy who would go one to win in the t8 the next day. Little did we know. The anouncer calls us up to be the reserve match for camera. It's a win and in for me, at 8-2, and my opponent at 7-1-1. Here it is. He wins the die roll, and we exchange some pleasantries. The games are quick, brutal and skillful. Although he and I had been around each other all day, neither of us knew what the other was one. I had played lands in the past, and he played vintage so he knew the MUD ramp strategy. After g1 turn one, there was no mystery. He comboed on t2.5 g1. Sure. We hit the sideboards for literally 8 minutes trying to figure out the best plan of action. I am on the play g2. I play a really tight line. I get behind a pair of ensnaring bridges and a metalworker with boots and a forgemaster for way too many turns. Finally, when I have the set up, I pop an inventors fair for either staff or ballista, I forget which. G2 ends.

G3, my reader if you got this far, was a thing of we encased beauty. I mull to five to get the perfect moustrap. After six, I wasn't sure what exactly I was looking for, but I deifinitely found it. I do run 12 posts, but the last four arent four vesuvas. They're three vesuvas and...a thespian's stage.

My five cards were a tomb, a thorn, a stage, a cloudpost, and a staff, with a worker on top of my library. I wish my opponent luck and act nervous. He does more or less exactly what I need him to for me to win the game. He has an explosive start. T1 on the play for my opponent was Mox Diamond, Mox Diamond, Pitch Depths and fetch, play Grove, and burning wish for a life from the loam, pass. HOOOLLLLY, is this going to happen?? I draw, and play tomb, thorn, making some kind of comment about 18 being the same as 20, anyway. My opponent smiles and draws. He casts a three mana life from the loam, and plays his depths. And passes. I smile, as he does and take a deep breath. I laugh. He looks at me really confused. I hold up my finger. I draw. "I know you've played this before, but I also know you didn't see this game one or two." I put a thespian's stage on the table next to my Ancient Tomb. The both shine together. "Copy Dark Depths?"

2-1 Win vs RG lands

All in all it was a great weekend. I played a lot of super skilled, and very nice players over all. And I learned a lot about the game, and myself as I always do. I have played MTG since 1993, and although I have stopped twice, every single event is a learning experience and I continue to grow through them. I hope that this was a good report for whoever chose to read the whole way through. I finished 22nd, prized, and got a couple of drinks and some meaty goodness before passing out with a smile on my face in a food coma. Such guilt, much food, happily meat drunk. The End.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

Re: MUD Piloted, 22nd at Eternal Weekend, main Event. Report.

I'm your round 4 opponent. I was deck-checked later in the event, and the judges had me resleeve because my sleeves were a bit worn, but I did not receive any sort of penalty for marked cards. All of my sleeves were evenly worn.

Also, I never kept extra cards from Brainstorms. That's complete bullshit. If my opponent's suspected me of cheating, why didn't they immediately call over a judge? Sounds to me like they were upset that they lost, which is understandable.

I did not shuffle under the table. I'm short, at 5'4, so shuffling completely above the play area is difficult for me while sitting down. Plenty of judges watched me shuffling throughout the swiss and Top 8, and they never told me that I was shuffling improperly.

If you thought that my personality was odd, that's fine, but I was polite all weekend, so I don’t understand the butthurt or the insults.

If my pace of play felt slow to you, I apologize. After watching my camera match against Maverick in round 11, where my opponent repeatedly asked me to play faster, my opponent was actually playing slower than I was, so whatever. My deck plays multiple spells per turn, has a large number of lines/decisions available to it most turns, and I wasn't well experienced with the deck, so I can understand the frustration. For what it's worth, I had a lot of judges watch me play, and none of them told me to pick up my pace or to advance the gamestate for tanking for too long.

I did get my ass handed to me in the semifinals. I went on tilt after a sideboarding mistake going into game 2 where I thought I lost a card, and punted the game away. My nerves were shot by that point, and I definitely deserved the loss.

I thought our games were enjoyable, and you seemed like a polite person when we played, so I'm not sure why you are so angry as to want to speak to any judge who will speak to you about me, a full week after the event, but that's your perogative.

At any rate, congrats on your finish.
    Sligh
    Echo Stompy
    /r Miracle Intuition
    Yorion's Intuition
    5c Hollow Vine

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

Mar 2014
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    I'm short, at 5'4, so shuffling completely above the play area is difficult for me while sitting
    So, you’re a manlet and a cheat

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Bygones. Look it's water under the bridge. I wasn't pissed until after I spoke with other former opponents. Apparently one was watching the end of out last game from distance, and brought me to two others a round or so later. Watch your Ps and Qs in the future if you actually aren't dirty. I have nothing left at this point, as I cannot prove intent. No one can.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by GrimDog View Post
    No need to be insulting. If there is any dishonor in his play style, it is his to own. Otherwise, may he learn to play a cleaner game and not bring questions to himself. I really don't want to continually address this issue. If I need to write out any further information regarding this for a judge, fine. For anyone who is just curious, this is a dead issue at this point, as results cannot be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimDog View Post
    That's uncalled for.

Regarding Hanni, I watched his round vs your Lands opponent and decided to stick around when I noticed the condition of his cards.
    For context, I was a judge on staff for this event.
    However, I noticed that the condition of his cards were fairly uniform and the whole deck had the same curl to it.
    This appeared to be the result of how he would pick up individual cards to tap or cast them, which he tended to do in a kind of damaging manner to the cards.

Generally speaking, if anyone has any issues with anyone's play style, it should be brought to the attention of a judge immediately.
    If they were, then I'm certain that appropriate actions were taken to address those issues, even if those actions were nothing.
    Something like drawing extra cards off of a brainstorm is easy to determine if a judge is called at the time of it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13
    He wasn't kicked out of the tournament and walked off with more money than he deserved.
    Presuming guilt on anecdotes is ill-advised and tends to reflect poorly on one's self.
    If you'd like to talk about this more, feel free to PM me.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Point taken, and I will take you up on the offer. For the record, i dont insult or slander any opponents, i just offer my opinions from my own pov. I will shoot you over a message tomorrow.

Entertaining report, thanks for the write up.

R1 deck Twin and Tell seems perfect for the player who wants as little interaction as possible in a game of Magic. Guess the blue version of Reanimator Depths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Thread Information