Thread: Black Tron

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

Black Tron

Hi guys, I'm a Legacy player who dabbles in Modern, but I've been enjoying this archetype, and I'd love to work on it a little. I like that it can play as a midrange deck with discard, removal, sweepers, etc, but then other games it goes turn 3 Karn, GG.
    Here's my current list:

8 Swamp
    4 Urza's Mine
    4 Urza's Power Plant
    4 Urza's Tower
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Urza's Factory

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Expedition Map
    4 Talisman of Indulgence
    2 Beseech The Queen
    3 Read the Bones
    3 Dismember
    4 Solemn Simulacrum
    2 Damnation
    3 Diabolic Revelation
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Karn Liberated
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    1 Sundering Titan

3 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Lost Legacy
    2 Sadistic Sacrament
    2 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Damnation
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
    1 Profane Command

I played in my local Modern event last week and ended up 3-1. I beat Mardu Tokens, Enter the Dragon (Enduring Ideal), and u/w Control. I lost to u/w Control. The list felt solid and I'm going to keep going with it. The only changes I'm currently considering are swapping one or both Thoughtseize for Duress or Blackmail. Burn is a matchup I don't mind having more 1 for 1 discard, but Thoughtseize can be painful. Nihil Spell bomb could easily be Relic, Surgical, or Leyline of the Void. I just had Spellbombs in a binder, while the other options are in other decks so I went with it. The Platinum angel could be something else, though I like the flying. Steel Hellkite, Rune Scarred Demon, or Grave Titan are the front runners.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this deck/archetype? What do you think its bad match-ups are? I don't have enough games under my belt with it to know.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Black Tron

I'm pretty sure you're going to want some number of Ratchet Bomb in your 75, it's a way to deal with things you otherwise couldn't. You probably already know this, but more copies of Karn would go a long ways towards making the deck more powerful.

Nice take on it, looks fun. Not sure what the Profane Command is for, and Diabolic Revelation seems to be incredibly inefficient. I get that it can be a tutor for 2+ cards, but I can't imagine it does that fast enough to matter in a format as unforgiving as modern. I could see 1-2, but 3? Pretty ballsy.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information