Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Deathtouch Deck

  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Philadelphia
    Posts

    11

    Deathtouch Deck

    I reworked my black deck into a deathtouch based deck. Was hoping to get some feedback from some more experienced deck builders.

    Creature (22)
    2x Desecration Demon
    4x Gifted Aetherborn
    1x Grave Titan
    2x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
    4x Phyrexian Obliterator
    4x Ruthless Ripper
    1x Soulflayer
    4x Vampire Nighthawk

    Artifact (5)
    4x Viridian Longbow
    1x Whip of Erebos

    Instant (4)
    4x Go for the Throat

    Sorcery (2)
    2x Mutilate

    Enchantment (4)
    4x Eternal Thirst

    Land (23)
    23x Swamp

    Sideboard (15)
    4x Deathmark
    4x Duress
    4x Marsh Casualties
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    Last edited by Bkotz; 11-28-2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Updated Decklist

  2. #2

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Any chance you'd be interested in splashing another color (red or green) to take advantage of fire whip or pounce type cards? that would effectively turn all your creatures into assassins!

    Other things I think the deck might want:
    disruption (discard) - you have nothing against non creature threats right now that i could see at a quick glance. splashing red or green will help answer threats from enchantments or artifacts as well.
    Mana ramps (dark rits, mana rocks).

    Note sure if it fits budget, but a way to get additional cards as well to keep up with tempo decks. Or even a board wipe or something of that nature. Pyroclasm, nev's disk, mutilate etc. I am just taking a quick look but it seems like this deck has a very high manacurve, thus necessitating the mana ramps above.

  3. #3
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,425
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Philadelphia
    Posts

    11

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    I am deffinitly going to look into getting

    Viridian Longbow
    Dark Ritual
    Jet Medallion

    Thanks

  5. #5

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Mer-Ek Nightblade might have some potential if you wanted to have fun with +1/+1 counters (may require a green splash for best effect, but then you have lure to play with as well)

  6. #6

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Posting about Lure just totally gave me flashbacks of that with The Wretched. Nostalgia!

  7. #7

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Mer-Ek Nightblade might have some potential if you wanted to have fun with +1/+1 counters (may require a green splash for best effect, but then you have lure to play with as well)
    Modular artifact creatures could keep you from going into another color too.

  8. #8
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,062

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    I would think any deathtouch themed deck would start with:

    4x Gifted Aetherborn
    4x Vampire Nighthawk

    That would also strengthen the option to add some number of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx to help power out the cards you have with a high casting cost.

    Baleful Strix also deserves a mention, but keeping the deck mono-black drastically reduces the cost.


    Some cards that are worth a look:

    Bone Picker
    Gonti, Lord of Luxury
    Liliana's Reaver
    Gray Merchant of Asphodel

  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Philadelphia
    Posts

    11

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    So i have updated this deck and forgot to update the thread. So ill fix that. But this is what im working with now:

    Creature (22)
    2x Desecration Demon
    4x Gifted Aetherborn
    1x Grave Titan
    2x Gray Merchant of Asphodel
    4x Phyrexian Obliterator
    4x Ruthless Ripper
    1x Soulflayer
    4x Vampire Nighthawk

    Artifact (5)
    4x Viridian Longbow
    1x Whip of Erebos

    Instant (4)
    4x Go for the Throat

    Sorcery (2)
    2x Mutilate

    Enchantment (4)
    4x Eternal Thirst

    Land (23)
    23x Swamp

    Sideboard (15)
    4x Deathmark
    4x Duress
    4x Marsh Casualties
    3x Tormod's Crypt

    Looking to get 4 Fatal Push and throw them in there somewhere, but havnt bought them yet.

  10. #10
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,062

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    You picked up Obliterators! Sweet dude.
    What are your thoughts/experiences with the changes?

    Since you've smoothed out your creature curve, it may be worth considering Aether Vial. Dropping in a deathtouch creature at instant speed isn't bad, but sneaking in an Obliterator after they've attacked is brutal. And your opponent will forever respect Vial on 4.

  11. #11
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Philadelphia
    Posts

    11

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    You picked up Obliterators! Sweet dude.
    What are your thoughts/experiences with the changes?

    Since you've smoothed out your creature curve, it may be worth considering Aether Vial. Dropping in a deathtouch creature at instant speed isn't bad, but sneaking in an Obliterator after they've attacked is brutal. And your opponent will forever respect Vial on 4.
    It plays really smooth, and I pretty much dominate all the decks in my circle of friends . I like that idea off adding Aether Vail. I was also thinking off adding some hand hate because against spell based decks i struggle. Im not fast enough to kill them before they get the cards they need to put in the hurt. I played a FNM near me and got my ass handed too me by two different non-creature based decks.

  12. #12
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,062

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Bkotz View Post
    I was also thinking off adding some hand hate because against spell based decks i struggle. Im not fast enough to kill them before they get the cards they need to put in the hurt. I played a FNM near me and got my ass handed too me by two different non-creature based decks.
    Looks like you are Modern legal! Was it a Modern FNM?
    Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek are the best hand hate for your mana/life investment.

    And I'll mention it just in case you haven't seen it, but Faerie Macabre is pretty good graveyard hate, and you actually have the possibility to cast it as a creature if that is the stronger option at the time. Tormod's Crypt is also a fantastic card, so I'm not saying you made the wrong call! Just pointing out a card that you might have missed and can also attack your opponent's life total.

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2017
    Location

    Philadelphia
    Posts

    11

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Looks like you are Modern legal! Was it a Modern FNM?
    Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek are the best hand hate for your mana/life investment.

    And I'll mention it just in case you haven't seen it, but Faerie Macabre is pretty good graveyard hate, and you actually have the possibility to cast it as a creature if that is the stronger option at the time. Tormod's Crypt is also a fantastic card, so I'm not saying you made the wrong call! Just pointing out a card that you might have missed and can also attack your opponent's life total.
    Yeah modern FNM. I lost to a guy with one of those infinite combos that just boosted his hexproof fliers. And then i lost to a guy with a bunch of exile and that plainswalker that turns into an indestructible 5/5.

  14. #14

    Re: Deathtouch Deck

    If you find yourself running into creature problems, Mutilate, Massacre, and Toxic Deluge and others of the like could be of use. They will wipe your own board so be careful with card advantage there. But helps against those hexproof critters.

    Edit - nevermind, missed that you had mutilate already, but ill leave the post anyway.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)