Source Secret Santa 2017

How do I enter?
    Budget range information
    Wishlist information
    The Christmas spirit
    Important dates

Participation
    Send me a PM with the following information:
    - Name and full address + alternative contact (mail/phone number/etc)
    - Shipping region (Within USA/CA/EU or overseas)
    - Your (preferred) budget range
    - Wishlist
    - Willing to be a backup Santa?

Budget information

With respect to the budget, I’ve seen very wide ranges over the past years of SSS. Some people have more to spend and/or give than others, but we should all remember that this is not a contest who can give most or who can give the least but get the most. You should participate if you like the idea of the gifting, doing something nice for a fellow sourcer and hopefully getting a nice package yourself that makes you remember this event.
    Ideally, I’m going to pair people that have similar budget ranges, in order to avoid major disappointments. That said, people should always realize that even if budget ranges are the same, that doesn’t mean everybody can buy the same amount or type of cards with it. In particular between the EU and US, there can be some large price differences, so what is expensive in the US may not be expensive in the EU, and vice versa. Some people may buy at local shops (to say support those) where things might be more expensive than some online stores.
    In short: appreciate the gift, not the value. Don’t expect to make money from this event. I will of course try to avoid having someone who spends $100+ on his gift get a gift from someone who has a range of $20-30, but value differences between giving and sending are unavoidable.

Wishlist information
    I will directly forward your wishlist to whomever will be giving you your present. Please make sure that your wishlist consists of at least some cards that are generally accessible by your average legacy player. Not everyone can get their hands on nice cards in Japanese foil. Also, be realistic. Don’t fill up your wishlist with only $40+ cards, even when your own budget is $50-100. If you include some lower value cards, you can often get more from your actual wishlist than if it’s just a bunch of expensive cards.
    If you prefer to participate in this event without a wishlist, you can state that as well. I’ll see how many people are willing to give/receive a totally random package and will inform you during pairings if it was possible to accomplish this. At the moment, this is specifically directed to Mr Miagi, but more may feel that this is more fun or may not have specific wishlists. If there’s several people with preferences for open giving/receiving, I can set up a separate section for those :).

The Christmas spirit
    To spice up your present and give a real Christmas feel, consider also sending something in addition to cards! Things to consider:
    - A personal letter for your ‘victim’
    - Other magic related articles (sleeves, deck boxes, playmats, etc.)
    - Candy, chocolate or other food/drink related goodies
    - Souvenirs typical for your home country

Important dates
    11/11/17 – Registration deadline
    11/13/17 – Sending out pairings
    12/10/17 – Advised shipping date of package

Latest on the 10th of December, I expect a PM from everyone with an update on their package status. Ideally, everyone will send me a confirmation that their package has been sent, but with orders arriving late, alters being delayed, etc. etc., I know that some may experience some delays. I do want a status update though by the 10th of December and hear when you expect to ship.
    When shipping, please send with track and trace and include the tracking number in the PM. It is totally worth the extra shipping cost to ensure that people get their packages and we know what’s going on.

People that are late can be put on a reserve list to be paired later when we there’s a few on this list.

If there’s anything missing or you have other questions, ask either here or through PM! Depending on the amount of participants and how the pairings work out, I might include myself in the pairings, but that is not what I’m aiming for. I might end up shipping some fun alters to a (un)lucky participant though ;).

Participants list:

International
    PirateKing - Received
    jandax - Received
    entity - Received
    Dan Pyre - Received
    Mr Miagi - New package sent
    Krasman - Received

EU
    meffeo - Received
    mistercakes - Received
    Pilhas - Received
    tsabo_tavoc - Received
    Xod - Received
    Ajsmirnov - Received
    BaroqueW - Received

USA/Canada
    taconaut - Received
    Whippoorwill - Received
    EpicLevelCommoner - Received
    compacta_d - Received
    Lord_Mcdonalds - Received
    ph88 - Received
    Rascalyote - Received
    KaiSchafroth - Received
    Moosedog
    haganbmj - Received
    say no to scurvy - Received
    Minniehajj - Received
    Redkid43 - Received

Edit - I messed up some of the dates trying to write them in the US style and not EU style. So registration deadline 11th of November, pairings 13th of November and finally shipping confirmation on the 10th of December.

Edit 2 - I moved everyone that has shown interest but has not yet PM'ed me to the pending list. If your name is on the list for one of the regions that means I got your registration.

Edit 3 - Because we had more people from the US than from the EU that wanted to ship overseas, I've moved some from the US from the international list to the USA/Canada list.
    Last edited by UseLess; 02-04-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [Official] the Source Secret Santa 2017 edition

Interested, within EU
    -rob

I'd be interested but only if there were no wish lists. Wish lists kill the magic in secret santa for me.. I like getting random gifts and seeing the creativity.. not something out of my want lists which I'll buy up anyway eventually.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

I’m interested if this happens. In US.

*waits for thread to turn into a shitshow about wish lists*
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Would be in for this.
    Located in US, will ship anywhere.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I'm interested. We did okay last yet but it was a super late start, so it wasn't ideal. I'd be fine with just participating, but if you need any help, let me know. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    *waits for thread to turn into a shitshow about wish lists*
    If this happens PM me.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Dec 2016
    Seattle

Interested, in the USA. Currently would prefer to ship in the states, but I may change stance once I look at shipping rates.
    I like playing tribal: Elves | Goblins | Enchantments

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

I’m interested. In US, will ship anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

If this happens PM me.
    Now what’s the fun in that :P
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I'm in, located in EU will ship to all the places

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

May 2013
    Des Moines, IA

Interested in participating again. Located in the US and willing to ship wherever. I think I tossed out a budget of $50-100 last year?

Nov 2006
    Lithuania, Vilnius

Always interested!
    Located in the EU, willing to ship anywhere.
    Budget within 50-100 sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Game 3: turn 1: Chalice@1, turn 2: Sea Drake, turn 3: equip Sea Drake with SoFI. Drakes from the sea with flaming swords which are also frozen at the same time cause destruction of Biblical proportions. Just the way God intended.

Interested!

I am in the US (Pennsylvania) and would prefer to ship domestically, but am flexible and will ship international if we need it to make the pairings work.

I like the spirit of Mr. Miagi's philosophy about the wish lists, but I also like that it gives you an idea of something that the person will actually play (like, for instance, Japanese foils are really cool and I would be excited to get them, but I personally would likely play them only in my EDH decks). I try to mitigate this by getting some things on their wish list and some creative things to go with them, but I'm interested to see what people think about it.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

I'm in despite some previous disappointments; within EU but willing to ship overseas.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    I like the spirit of Mr. Miagi's philosophy about the wish lists, but I also like that it gives you an idea of something that the person will actually play (like, for instance, Japanese foils are really cool and I would be excited to get them, but I personally would likely play them only in my EDH decks). I try to mitigate this by getting some things on their wish list and some creative things to go with them, but I'm interested to see what people think about it.
    Last year any wishlists were PM'd to the organizer so only the eventual Secret Santa would see them.
    Sometimes they were specific cards, sometimes it was broad like anything in Russian. But it kept them off the public thread.
    I think it worked well that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

May 2013
    Des Moines, IA

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Last year any wishlists were PM'd to the organizer so only the eventual Secret Santa would see them.
    Sometimes they were specific cards, sometimes it was broad like anything in Russian. But it kept them off the public thread.
    I think it worked well that way.
    Yeah, call it my lacking creativity or just sucking at gift giving but the list was helpful. Gave me a few different things to send to my recipient that I knew they'd use/enjoy.

May 2011
    Canada

I am in.

Canada, but will ship anywhere.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Great to see there's some interest and enthusiasm for this. I'll be updating this thread latest tomorrow evening (EU time) with further info on registration, deadlines and other rules/guidelines. In the meantime, keep signing up people!
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Interested, within EU

Thread Information