Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 139

Thread: Punishing Thieves

  1. #1

    Punishing Thieves

    Hi, I am Stryfo, but my MTGO handle is Clashed and I've been working on this deck since early December of last year (not really new, but potentially new to some of you). Recently, I think I've hit something pretty close to the sweet spot. Without any further nonsense, here is my current list:


    3 Dack Fayden
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Kolaghan's Command
    1 Diabolic Edict
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Fatal Push
    1 To the Slaughter
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Ponder
    1 Gurmag Angler
    2 Counterbalance

    Sideboard

    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Sultai Charm
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Notion Thief
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Nihil Spellbomb




    Since the banning of DRS, the deck has moved closer to a Grixis deck with green sideboard cards. I have decided that the late game inevitability that DRS would help provide in the form of gaining life should be replaced by counterbalance. The idea is that a lot of early losses were coming after stabilization at low life to something like a lightning bolt. We were also missing a mainboard "hatebear" and CB helps with that. I think the build above is pretty decent, I've had plenty of success in MTGO leagues, but have had a really poor run in the challenges, which seems to have been a mixture of bad luck in the matchup lottery and randomly losing favorable matchups.

    Some thoughts I've not had time to explore in the new format:

    A 22nd land. I probably want to try a colorful spell land (maybe creeping tar pit?). I think the main has a spot currently occupied by angler that is really awkward, and it's very possible it should just be another land.

    Hymn in the sideboard for control/combo matchups. As much as I hate Hymn, it is certainly very powerful and can help secure the combo and control matchups (though control is already very good and most combo matchups are close to even).

    Bring Chandra back into the 75. I really miss playing with Chandra, but I think she just makes already good matchups better and doesn't fix any holes. She might still be worth exploring.

    I miss playing with Rise//Fall, but I can't find a way to conveniently get enough creatures into the deck and still have a reasonable combo matchup (I'd like 10 creatures if I'm playing Rise//Fall)


    Some sideboarding advice for common matchups (I'll be updating this slowly as I think of more matchups to add):

    I'll fill this in when I have more time, but if you need an answer for a specific matchup you can drop by my stream and ask or send me a private message. =)



    Death's Shadow: The new hotness I think is actually quite good for this deck. They don't have our worst enemy: Lightning bolt. And baleful strix is amazing here.

    In: Decay, Edict, 2x Pyroblast, Deed, EE, Lili, Sultai Charm

    Out: Thoughtseize x2, Pfire x2, Dack x1, FoW x2, Deluge.

    OTD I also take out one CB and leave in two pfires rather than just one.




    Death and Taxes: This popular deck is a fantastic matchup. We have a lot of removal and between Kommand and Dack, their vials and equipment are under serious pressure.

    In: Decay, Deed, EE, Lili, Sultai Charm, Edict (maybe Notion Thief, it matches up really well against jailer)

    Out: 2x CB, 2x 1 mana discard, not sure which mixture do do yet. 1x Force, 1x Gurmag Angler

    We keep in force for two reasons. Sometimes you just need tempo to make sure you don't fall too far behind. Also, sometimes they play vards like Gideon and Cataclysm, and having access to force of will helps make sure you can beat these cards.




    Miracles: It turns out that basically any deck with white in it is a pretty good matchup, and Miracles is no exception, You care about counterbalance, Back to Basics, and entreat the angels more than just about anything else, don't burn counters if you don't have to.

    In: Decay, Sultai Charm, Deed, Lili, Notion Thief, EE, 2x Pyroblast, 1x Thoughtseize, 1x Spell Pierce

    Out: 1x Usea, 3x Strix, 2x IoK, Push, Edict, Kommand, Angler.



    Grixis Control: This matchup is slightly favorable, they have some draws that feel really strong, and some draws where it just doesn't matter what they do, If you can identify quickly what they are doing, play your groves early to protect them from hymn, Pfire is insane here.

    In: Decay, Spell Pierce, 2x Pyroblast, Sultai Charm, Deed, Lili, Notion Thief, Hydroblast, EE (If there are extra cards you don't like in the main, spellbomb and edict are both passable in the matchup).

    Out: Push, 4x Force, 4x 1 mana Discard, Deluge. (Strix can be additional cuts if you need more room)



    I hope all of you coming to this deck are looking forward to stealing some wins!

    Thanks for reading, I look forward to any thoughts, experiences, and ideas you all might have.
    Last edited by Stryfo; 08-29-2018 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #2
    The green Ancestral
    ESG's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    1,072

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Needs more Liquimetal Coating. ;)

  3. #3
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2012
    Location

    Marseille, France
    Posts

    74

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    I saw you Top8'ed again in the Challenge yesterday, that's very impressive man ! Congratz :)

    The deck looks like a blast to play and is for sure favored against Czech Pile.

    Some random questions :

    Notion Thief seems a bit random, a 2nd Leovold or any other cards (Ponder, Thoughseize etc...) seems better. Are you 100% convinced that it is the best spell here ?
    What about Chandra ? Is she really better than a 2nd Jace ?
    You are really super light against combo main deck and even post board, it doesn't seem enough ... Storm and SnS are still quite played even on MTGO so I would be afraid to try your deck because of that.
    How has been performing Rise/Fall and Search for Azcanta ?

    Can you explain a bit your sideboard ? It looks very versatile but some cards seems better than other like Flusterstorm > Invasive Surgery and Thoughtseize > Duress, Surgical > Nihil Spellbomb

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2014
    Location

    Philly area
    Posts

    96

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    I've been playing this deck a bit myself in various forms and found Leyline of the Void and Rest in Peace to be hugely problematic. Decks like NicFit, Aggro Loam, etc. all run it and without maindeck enchantment removal, it's felt hugely problematic. I used to run a singleton Sultai Charm and Abrupt Decay (which, notably, doesn't hit Leyline), but recently I've been wanting to try Golgari Charm in the sideboard answer. Thoughts?

    Also, why Chandra over the second JTMS? I can see arguments for both but I haven't been enamored with her, especially since she's red and I try not to fetch for red until later in the game.

    P.S. I'm regularmother on twitch and periodically tune in. Love the channel, love the decks. Cheers!

  5. #5

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    I'm surprised Chandra isn't in more of the 4c/pile decks. She comes down with so much loyalty and really demands an answer. Provides card advantage while your opponent is scrambling to do something about her before she ults. I say this though, as someone who doesn't really play those goodstuff decks. I've been killed several times by her, and I've watched Stryfo play a couple leagues with her and she is good every time she comes down. Dodges the expected REB that would hit Jace (I'm not sure how many decks are running BEB/Hydro).

  6. #6
    Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Hanni's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    2,502

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    I'm surprised Chandra isn't in more of the 4c/pile decks. She comes down with so much loyalty and really demands an answer. Provides card advantage while your opponent is scrambling to do something about her before she ults. I say this though, as someone who doesn't really play those goodstuff decks. I've been killed several times by her, and I've watched Stryfo play a couple leagues with her and she is good every time she comes down. Dodges the expected REB that would hit Jace (I'm not sure how many decks are running BEB/Hydro).
    I would say the casting cost is why it doesn't see play. Red is a light splash color in Pile, and Chandra costs RR. Deathrite Shaman may make rainbow mana, but the greedier you build your deck, the more often you're going to lose to yourself, let alone the damage that Wasteland's can cause.
    Sligh
    Mentor Deathblade
    The Mind Harvester
    Wb Tokens
    4c Nobleblade

    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

  7. #7
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2014
    Location

    Philly area
    Posts

    96

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    I would say the casting cost is why it doesn't see play. Red is a light splash color in Pile, and Chandra costs RR. Deathrite Shaman may make rainbow mana, but the greedier you build your deck, the more often you're going to lose to yourself, let alone the damage that Wasteland's can cause.
    At the time I was running the same manabase as above, but maybe cutting 1 Island and adding a Badlands or Volcanic Island might make Chandra easier to run with.

  8. #8
    Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Hanni's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    2,502

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    At the time I was running the same manabase as above, but maybe cutting 1 Island and adding a Badlands or Volcanic Island might make Chandra easier to run with.
    My comment was in reference to Czech Pile, not the list in the OP. The list in the OP is much heavier into red with 3 Grove of the Burnwillows, 2 Volcanic, and 1 Badlands, so Chandra makes more sense in here.
    Sligh
    Mentor Deathblade
    The Mind Harvester
    Wb Tokens
    4c Nobleblade

    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

  9. #9

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    @shaka1333:

    Notion Thief is an insanely powerful spell in the mid-late game and leads to blowouts that no other spell in the deck can provide. In addition it is easy to cast in terms of colors, and is a reasonable beater. In addition to that, it has absurd synergy with Dack Fayden. It may be that something else could be better, but Notion Thief has been very strong for me.

    For a long time I was running two Jaces and the Chandra is a new addition to the deck, but so far I have been very pleased. She clocks better than Jace, she is better removal most of the time, and she is red rather than blue, and her starting loyalty is very high all of these are pretty great qualities. She doesn't dig for answers as well as Jace, but in many matchups, that's not important.

    The maindeck is admittedly light on combo hate, but postboard I do not agree, there are ~12 cards to bring in against storm and ~11 against SnS. I think the storm matchup is unfavorable (I'd guess ~40%), and I believe the SnS is close to even.

    I have been incredibly impressed by Rise//Fall, it is frequently an easier to cast Hymn to Tourach, and in the late game when both people are ground to dust, it frequently becomes something like a draw three by returning a Snapcaster or Strix from your graveyard and the board. As for Search, my current estimation is it's the weakest card in the list, but it's still a very powerful card, I haven't decided what I'd replace it with yet.

    The sideboard is meant to be extremely wide, so that your postboard matchups improve by a significant margin across the board. I'd agree that in many situations flusterstorm is better than invasive surgery, but against decks like lands, being able to counter+exile Loam is extremely powerful. Surgical extraction is better against decks like Reanimator than Nihil Spellbomb, but Spellbomb can be brought in against Snapcaster decks and you don't have to play a card that is largely card disadvantage in a grindy matchup. As for Duress, I like being able to bring in a discard spell specifically against burn, this could mean that Inquisition of Kozilek could be better in that slot, I hadn't thought of that until just now.

    @mgrinshpon:
    I have not had problems with Leyline decks or Rest in Peace decks, Those decks are going down on cards (and in the case of Rest in Peace, tempo) to beat a graveyard centered subtheme of a control deck, The deck functions fine without a graveyard because of the high density of planeswalkers and generally powerful cards, punishing fire being a 1 for 1 post RiP doesn't take into account that they had to spend time and cards to put RiP into play. As for things I've tried to deal with random enchantments: I've tried Abrupt Decay, but I cut that after the banning of top because your mana gets much better when you're not required to have green in the early turns. I've tried Chaos Warp, which was a little bit too cute. Sultai Charm was fine, and it's my favorite of those three.

    As for golgari charm, I really like how versatile it is, and I haven't run it in this deck, but I've run it in similar decks and it was powerful. I might try cutting Search, moving the second Rise//Fall to the main, and putting a Golgari Charm in the board. It's one of those cards you can bring in across the board, Storm, Delver, DnT, potentially SnS if there are enough bad mainboard cards, and even more fringe decks with lots of enchantments.

    Regarding the manabase, I think it is very reasonable to cut the 2nd island for a 9th fetchland, it is my personal preference to have a bit better insurance against Blood Moon, but if you don't care about that, trim basics all you like.

  10. #10
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2014
    Location

    Europe
    Posts

    13

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    @shaka1333:

    Notion Thief is an insanely powerful spell in the mid-late game and leads to blowouts that no other spell in the deck can provide. In addition it is easy to cast in terms of colors, and is a reasonable beater. In addition to that, it has absurd synergy with Dack Fayden. It may be that something else could be better, but Notion Thief has been very strong for me.

    For a long time I was running two Jaces and the Chandra is a new addition to the deck, but so far I have been very pleased. She clocks better than Jace, she is better removal most of the time, and she is red rather than blue, and her starting loyalty is very high all of these are pretty great qualities. She doesn't dig for answers as well as Jace, but in many matchups, that's not important.

    The maindeck is admittedly light on combo hate, but postboard I do not agree, there are ~12 cards to bring in against storm and ~11 against SnS. I think the storm matchup is unfavorable (I'd guess ~40%), and I believe the SnS is close to even.

    I have been incredibly impressed by Rise//Fall, it is frequently an easier to cast Hymn to Tourach, and in the late game when both people are ground to dust, it frequently becomes something like a draw three by returning a Snapcaster or Strix from your graveyard and the board. As for Search, my current estimation is it's the weakest card in the list, but it's still a very powerful card, I haven't decided what I'd replace it with yet.

    The sideboard is meant to be extremely wide, so that your postboard matchups improve by a significant margin across the board. I'd agree that in many situations flusterstorm is better than invasive surgery, but against decks like lands, being able to counter+exile Loam is extremely powerful. Surgical extraction is better against decks like Reanimator than Nihil Spellbomb, but Spellbomb can be brought in against Snapcaster decks and you don't have to play a card that is largely card disadvantage in a grindy matchup. As for Duress, I like being able to bring in a discard spell specifically against burn, this could mean that Inquisition of Kozilek could be better in that slot, I hadn't thought of that until just now.

    @mgrinshpon:
    I have not had problems with Leyline decks or Rest in Peace decks, Those decks are going down on cards (and in the case of Rest in Peace, tempo) to beat a graveyard centered subtheme of a control deck, The deck functions fine without a graveyard because of the high density of planeswalkers and generally powerful cards, punishing fire being a 1 for 1 post RiP doesn't take into account that they had to spend time and cards to put RiP into play. As for things I've tried to deal with random enchantments: I've tried Abrupt Decay, but I cut that after the banning of top because your mana gets much better when you're not required to have green in the early turns. I've tried Chaos Warp, which was a little bit too cute. Sultai Charm was fine, and it's my favorite of those three.

    As for golgari charm, I really like how versatile it is, and I haven't run it in this deck, but I've run it in similar decks and it was powerful. I might try cutting Search, moving the second Rise//Fall to the main, and putting a Golgari Charm in the board. It's one of those cards you can bring in across the board, Storm, Delver, DnT, potentially SnS if there are enough bad mainboard cards, and even more fringe decks with lots of enchantments.

    Regarding the manabase, I think it is very reasonable to cut the 2nd island for a 9th fetchland, it is my personal preference to have a bit better insurance against Blood Moon, but if you don't care about that, trim basics all you like.
    Hi Stryfo/clashed,

    been following your list since months and played with it several times in paper: love its versatility.

    couple of questions:

    - do U see any room for "unearth" and/or "Kess Dissident Mage" in your list?

    - Any ideas on the list of 'Diego Massone' : https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...hly-september/
    He has been getting some good results in last couple of months in london legacy and list is quite similar. Your idea on fire and ice in the list?

    - could U give some advise on how to sideboard against the different matchups, based on the list here provided? In particular: in what matchup is pulse of murasa a good card? See U trimmed it down to 1 (if I'm not mistaken U started with 2 copies in the SB a while ago?)

    - In the meantime I found your stream of 2 days ago on twitch : definitely will have a good look ;)...

  11. #11

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    @megaflippo

    - I think there is room for unearth, it's just not a card I personally like that much. As for Kess, you could put her in, but she's in this awkward spot because she costs four and is blue, I suppose if you wanted to cut notion thief for her you could, but outside that I'm not sure where she fits.

    - As for the list you posted, I think it's very reasonable, with the exception of Dread of Night in the sideboard, the white deck matchups are so good across the board that I don't believe it is necessary to have such a narrow answer. As for Fire//Ice I love it, my original lists had two or three, but I eventually found they tended to just make the good matchups better, and be cycling+ against everything else.

    - There are a lot of matchups to cover, so I can't hit all of them, but I'll try to touch on a few of the more common ones.

    Czech Pile:This matchup is all about the grind, usually you can outgrind them, as long as you don't get stuck under Leo. I like to make it so my cards are good at all stages of the game, and also like to hedge against cards like TNN, because a few lists play it.

    In: 2x Pyroblast 1x Bitterblossom 1x Rise//Fall 1x Nihil Spellbomb 1x Diabolic Edict
    Out: 1x Thoughtseize 1x(0 on the draw) Fatal Push 3x Force of Will 1x(2 on the draw) Baleful Strix

    Delver: Here I am grouping the most popular delver lists together as they largely play out the same way (this assumes they are in red for pyroblast). This matchup is about staying alive, if the game goes long, you will win.

    In: 1x Deed 1x Pulse of Murasa 1x Rise//Fall 1x Diabolic Edict 2x(1 on the draw) Pyroblast
    Out: 1x Jace 1x Notion Thief 1x Thoughtseize 2x (1 on the draw) Force of Will 1x Search for Azcanta

    Storm: This matchup is hard, you need to disrupt and establish a clock, which is why DRS is so powerful here.

    In: Everything except edict, bitterblossom and hydroblast (unless TES, then you bring in the hydroblast too).
    Out: Fatal Pushes, Punishing Fires, The Edict, Liliana the last hope, a grove, Chandra, and the Baleful Strixes.

    I know there are many more matchups to cover, but for now I'll leave this as a start.

    As for the card Pulse of Murasa, it is much more versatile than it seems at first glance. Pulse is great against all of the delver decks and burn and a passable card against storm and graveyard based strategies like reanimator (against storm you can bounce lands from their graveyard to their hand to effectively counter a hellbent infernal tutor).

  12. #12
    Member
    Fjaulnir's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2016
    Location

    Flanders
    Posts

    385

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    I played Stryfo's Challenge list twice yesterday, had a 1-4 and a 5-0 so those are some very varied results

    I lost 70% of my losses due to Wasteland though, it seems. 1 is usually fine, but all them Delver decks were Brainstormikg and Pondering aggressively towards 2-3 Wastelands each game - that was just impossible to recover from usually.


    A card that really overperformed in my 5-0 was Search for Azcanta. Against Moon Stompy it was my only way to victory combined with DRS. Turn 1 fetch Swamp, DRS. Get Mooned on their turn, exile my fetch for blue ald play Azcanta to keep milling lands/instants for DRS. Had to Revoker Chrome Mox to keep them off Chandra/Confluence mana but apart from that I didn't do much

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2014
    Location

    Europe
    Posts

    13

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    @megaflippo

    - I think there is room for unearth, it's just not a card I personally like that much. As for Kess, you could put her in, but she's in this awkward spot because she costs four and is blue, I suppose if you wanted to cut notion thief for her you could, but outside that I'm not sure where she fits.

    - As for the list you posted, I think it's very reasonable, with the exception of Dread of Night in the sideboard, the white deck matchups are so good across the board that I don't believe it is necessary to have such a narrow answer. As for Fire//Ice I love it, my original lists had two or three, but I eventually found they tended to just make the good matchups better, and be cycling+ against everything else.

    - There are a lot of matchups to cover, so I can't hit all of them, but I'll try to touch on a few of the more common ones.

    Czech Pile:This matchup is all about the grind, usually you can outgrind them, as long as you don't get stuck under Leo. I like to make it so my cards are good at all stages of the game, and also like to hedge against cards like TNN, because a few lists play it.

    In: 2x Pyroblast 1x Bitterblossom 1x Rise//Fall 1x Nihil Spellbomb 1x Diabolic Edict
    Out: 1x Thoughtseize 1x(0 on the draw) Fatal Push 3x Force of Will 1x(2 on the draw) Baleful Strix

    Delver: Here I am grouping the most popular delver lists together as they largely play out the same way (this assumes they are in red for pyroblast). This matchup is about staying alive, if the game goes long, you will win.

    In: 1x Deed 1x Pulse of Murasa 1x Rise//Fall 1x Diabolic Edict 2x(1 on the draw) Pyroblast
    Out: 1x Jace 1x Notion Thief 1x Thoughtseize 2x (1 on the draw) Force of Will 1x Search for Azcanta

    Storm: This matchup is hard, you need to disrupt and establish a clock, which is why DRS is so powerful here.

    In: Everything except edict, bitterblossom and hydroblast (unless TES, then you bring in the hydroblast too).
    Out: Fatal Pushes, Punishing Fires, The Edict, Liliana the last hope, a grove, Chandra, and the Baleful Strixes.

    I know there are many more matchups to cover, but for now I'll leave this as a start.

    As for the card Pulse of Murasa, it is much more versatile than it seems at first glance. Pulse is great against all of the delver decks and burn and a passable card against storm and graveyard based strategies like reanimator (against storm you can bounce lands from their graveyard to their hand to effectively counter a hellbent infernal tutor).
    Thanks @Strfyo for the reply and extra info:

    Any suggestions left for the UW control matchup (mostly on mentor or retreat the angels) ? Is that a favorable MU or not..?
    Same question for Eldrazi...they can be very quick with big beats...

  14. #14

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    The UW matchup is actually pretty good, they aren't exactly trying to grind you down like the black decks, and they really only have a handful of important cards, which you accurately identify as mentor and entreat. Because of this I like to bring in deed and keep in deluge. Force of will is also good here because you need to be able to counter key spells.

    The Eldrazi matchup is not very good (largely because Pfire is mediocre), but it's not terrible. Their nut draw will be hard to beat, but having access to sweepers, strixes, and editcs to slow them down, and pulse of murasa, rise//fall, and snapcaster to grind them out means that you can still win it. You can't cut all of the forces here because sometimes you need to counter an early chalice, and equally important, sometimes you need to counter all is dust.

  15. #15
    On my own buddy list
    Maagler's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Bristol RI
    Posts

    376

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    I have been playing aversion of this deck for a while, and I think it is really well positioned now. It can out-grind other versions of Czech pile, but i have been having some issues with combo matchup. I have tuned the sideboard to make storm a better mach.

    the list:

    Main:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Gurmag Angler
    1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2 Notion Thief

    1 Ponder
    1 Thoughtseize

    4 Brainstorm
    1 Kolaghan's Command
    4 Force of Will
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 Chaos Warp
    2 Fatal Push

    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Dack Fayden

    2 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Bloodstained Mire


    Side:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Duress

  16. #16

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Maagler View Post
    I have been playing aversion of this deck for a while, and I think it is really well positioned now. It can out-grind other versions of Czech pile, but i have been having some issues with combo matchup. I have tuned the sideboard to make storm a better mach.

    the list:

    Main:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Gurmag Angler
    1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2 Notion Thief

    1 Ponder
    1 Thoughtseize

    4 Brainstorm
    1 Kolaghan's Command
    4 Force of Will
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 Chaos Warp
    2 Fatal Push

    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Dack Fayden

    2 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Bloodstained Mire


    Side:
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Duress
    Why chaos warp?

  17. #17

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    @Maagler, I like a lot of the stuff going on with your list, but I have a few questions and suggestions.

    First, why ancient grudge? I haven't really had much trouble with artifacts in any of my lists, so I'm curious why you've decided to play two grudges.

    Second, how has Tasigur been? He seems cool, but I have never tried him, instead opting for the zombie fish or Tombstalker.

    Third, If you want some cards that are good against storm but also a fair number of other awkward matchups, try phyrexian revoker, I have been extremely pleased with it in my lists.

  18. #18
    On my own buddy list
    Maagler's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Bristol RI
    Posts

    376

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    @Maagler, I like a lot of the stuff going on with your list, but I have a few questions and suggestions.

    First, why ancient grudge? I haven't really had much trouble with artifacts in any of my lists, so I'm curious why you've decided to play two grudges.

    Second, how has Tasigur been? He seems cool, but I have never tried him, instead opting for the zombie fish or Tombstalker.

    Third, If you want some cards that are good against storm but also a fair number of other awkward matchups, try phyrexian revoker, I have been extremely pleased with it in my lists.
    Ancient grudge is against chalice deck and also comes in in a surprising number of matchups. I like that I can throw it in the grave with Dack Faden and leave it for later. I will side it in against death and taxes, mud, eldrazi, painter and infect. I have a lot of chalice decks in my meta right now and with the grudges and the bebs in the side they are easy matchups.

    Tasigur has been pretty good, but I have been thinking about switching over to tombstalker. The only real issue with Tasigur isthat he is legendary and weak to Karakas, but you are so heavily favored against death and taxes (which is where you see Karakas the most) so I don't think it matters. Activating Tasigur is great in the late game when you are just looking for cards in hand and can singlehandedly push the opponent out of the game. The flying beater may be better though due to it's speed and evasion, not sure if the BB is too hard on the Mana.

    I will try revoker, used to run that in 12post vs storm and liked it.


    As for Chaos Warp: it is a catch all/maindeck answer for Merritt leige and blood moon. Usually whatever comes off the top is less scary than the thing you are warping away.

    Speaking of the lands strategy I just wanted to imput that I think prioritizing getting to dack emblem is the way to go to win that match. By using Deathrite to stall for time and disrupting any fast combo. After you get the emblem, they have a really hard time winning as you will just take their token with a punishing fire. Chaos Warp also really helps here by removing a fast 20/20.

  19. #19
    On my own buddy list
    Maagler's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Bristol RI
    Posts

    376

    Re: Punishing Thieves


  20. #20
    Member
    Doishy's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2014
    Location

    Bristol, UK
    Posts

    93

    Re: Punishing Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Maagler View Post
    G1 versus Eldrazi you play two lands in a turn. Sweet deck though.
    The Doomsday Codex



    We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

    Meow.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)