Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Punishing Thieves

Re: Punishing Thieves

I REALLY like that spellseeker can find pfire and other cool one ofs, but I don't like that it's a three drop, because we already play a ton of threes.

Yeah i assumed as much. Also the fact that its a 1/1 and thus doesnt really clock makes it too janky imo. If it was a 2/1 or 2/2 things would be a little different i think.

Have you thought stryfo about bedlam reveler in this deck?
    Also many of our loses are against wasteland deck do we need to test life from the loam on the board? Okey at first sight isnt good enought for us because of the lack of utility lands but loam plays very well with dack too.

I have thought about reveler, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I think that could be a very strong card for us. I don’t know what wasteland deck is a bad matchup for us, certainly we lose to wasteland now and again, but that’s legacy. I consider lands, delver, Maverick, and dnt to all be favorable (some more than others) matchups. I can’t think of a wasteland deck that’s bad for us, maybe eldrazi stompy? But the reason that matchup isn’t great is NOT because of wasteland.

I dont mean that decks with wasteland are bad for us i just want to say if loam does some work for us onto these situations and its provide another loop for dack.
    Eitherway, u have played enough games without liliana and i've noticed thoughtseize appears more often than before that gives us more flexibility, is that so?

Hi again,

I know i am asking a lot of question, but i was wondering about something peculiar. My local metagame has no combo decks outside of dredge and maybe 1 reanimator deck. How would you change the deck in a meta that 90% fair decks?

@ventouza: I see what you mean now, I'm not sure loam is worth a spot with no utility lands, HOWEVER, if you want to make the mana a bit shaky, or cut some sideboard cards or mainboard spells for wastelands, playing a value loam with one or two wastelands could be very powerful (especially with some intuitions for insane value piles), it's just not a path I'm personally interested in at the moment.

@quadich: That's an interesting question. The deck is already pretty geared to fight fair decks, but one could make a few changes to make the deck even better against fair decks. Really my only suggestion would be to switch a thoughtseize for whatever seems to be good against the most of those fair decks, potentially either three drop liliana or another baleful strix. You could also swap the forces in the main for some sideboard cards so that you are just insane on gas. Maybe move two forces to the board and bring in the second decay and the to the slaughter from the board? I don't like removing all of the forces, even in a fair meta because in game ones you are easily able to generate a massive advantage with punishing fire, and having a few vetos to your opponent's cards that don't care about pfire is pretty useful.

Alpine moon just released a very cheep hate for our tought mu like 12post or lands. Any thoughts?

I think damping sphere is probably a better sideboard card if you are worried about post because it also splashes against storm. Further, our lands matchup isn't really that bad, so I'm not looking to find additional cards for it. That said, this card is really cool.

Regarding the earlier question about Bedlam Reveler. I just finished my first league with it, and went 5-0. I drew the card maybe 4 times, and once it was better than chandra, once it was worse, and twice they were comparable. I'm not sure which is better based on this small sample size, but for those of you who really wanted to play it and were waiting on a better opinion from me, the card is definitely playable in the deck. It was really sweet with Kommand and rise//fall.

Stryfo u just removed the chandra for one reveler? do we have some video record for this 5-0?
    Last edited by ventouza6969; 06-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.

According to your 6 or 7 last strems Stryfo i made this sideboard table to simplify our life and our point of view!
    If you like feel free to change anything you want to your list hehe!
    here is the link:http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by ventouza6969 View Post
    According to your 6 or 7 last strems Stryfo i made this sideboard table to simplify our life and our point of view!
    If you like feel free to change anything you want to your list hehe!
    here is the link:http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...it?usp=sharing
    Thanks for this, very interesting! Considering Sylvan Library comes in in all but one matchup so far, perhaps it's correct to move it to the main board? Going by straight numbers in order of the matches they're cut, Strix (10), Fatal Push (9), Thoughseize (7) seems like the best options to cut to make room.

But it looks like you missed Miracles?

@ventouza6969 That's a cool project you have! I fixed a few of the plans there but haven't finished yet, I'll get back to it later. Thank you for your effort! Also, as far as the reveler league, yes the swap was just Chandra for reveler, unfortunately I wasn't streaming the league, just playing games here and there.

@Atreju While it is true that Sylvan comes in for a ton of matchups, that doesn't mean it should go to the mainboard, the reason is because it is always coming in over different things depending on the matchup. Even though you frequently want the card, it's because there are a variety of awkward cards in the maindeck that have to be there for specific matchups. Cutting those awkward cards (like thoughtseize) make some of your matchups significantly worse (like combo).

@Atreju I just added miracles in our sideplan based on Stryfo's stream.

@stryfo I really enjoy watching your unique playstyle into this deck, so this project is about to capture these choices. Many times i caught myself not to choose the same sideboard plan as you. The deck has so many 1offs which is difficult to understand why this card and why not this card. I think this datasheet gives us a clean view and a common path to follow.
    -As far as the reveler i played a few matches, i have some thoughts. reveler dodge pierce and when its ready to resolve, it dodges daze too, it dodges deacy bolt and fatal push, its not very easy to cast it allthough and sometimes i had goodcards in my hand that i didnt want to cast it. In one game it happened to resolve rise on the reveler and a snapcaster from the grave, the game was out of control for my opponent that moment. But i think reveler it's not better than chandra because of rest in peace and leyline of the void which reveler is unable to be casted under these cards.

I'm currently trying to think of a build that allows me to play both Chandra and Reveler, at least for testing, because I love playing with Chandra and want to learn more about reveler.

When it will be the next stream with chandra and reveler?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    I'm currently trying to think of a build that allows me to play both Chandra and Reveler, at least for testing, because I love playing with Chandra and want to learn more about reveler.

I can't stream today, might be able to squeeze one in tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfo View Post
    @Atreju While it is true that Sylvan comes in for a ton of matchups, that doesn't mean it should go to the mainboard, the reason is because it is always coming in over different things depending on the matchup. Even though you frequently want the card, it's because there are a variety of awkward cards in the maindeck that have to be there for specific matchups. Cutting those awkward cards (like thoughtseize) make some of your matchups significantly worse (like combo).
    I get that utility cards such as fatal push or thoughtseize might change the dynamic of the deck as much. But the #1 card that is cut is baleful strix which is more of a filler/value card, not unlike sylvan.

If you start to keep track of how many times you face each of these decks while (maybe somebody else?) keep track track of your sideboard choices, it will be possible to determine what number of each card that is cut or brought in belongs in which pile :-P After all it doesn't make sense to compare the number of times a card is cut or brought in when manaless dredge and grixis delver each count as equal variables.

Regarding your first point, strix is crucial against delver, which you’ll note is one of the few matchups we don’t want sylvan. Strix is also very important in the lands and depths matchups, to give extra draws towards Lage removal.

Thread Information