Thread: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Edit: Better translation:

"Dire Fleet Daredevil"
    Human - Pirate
    First Strike
    When "Dire Fleet Daredevil" ETBs, exile target instant or sorcery from an opponent’s graveyard. You may cast that card this turn and you may spend mana as though as it were mana of any color. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
    2/1

Lack of flash, AWESOME and having to rely on your opponent's spells in a DRS environment is so much worse than Snapcaster Mage. But the question is whether or not it's still worth it, despite all of that?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Lack of flash, AWESOME and having to rely on your opponent's spells in a DRS environment is so much worse than Snapcaster Mage. But the question is whether or not it's still worth it, despite all of that?
    I mean, it maybe punishes playing Hymn and Strix; it's a step in the right direction. Fringe application vs Loam, but it really should be black (flavor is that of Hedonist's Trove) - this would have also broken some of the power of Pyroblast vs UB.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I mean, it maybe punishes playing Hymn and Strix; it's a step in the right direction.
    Hymn would be 4 mana to cast, at which point the impact might be already quite diminished. You're probably better off with casting stuff StP, Bolt, AD, Brainstorm and other cantrip shenanigans (excellent with Gitaxian Probe) from it. Also, it synergizes well with your own Hymn since you can use discarded spells to fuel Daredevil.

Also, how does it punish you for playing Strix? It's a creature.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Also, how does it punish you for playing Strix? It's a creature.
    I guess that was a very complicated way of saying it has first strike.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Calling it now, Stealcaster is the best card of the set (barring another even better card being spoiled) and a future staple for any list playing vials or a red stompy shell. Aggressively costed, decent body, CA source in a color that sorely needs it, potential for huge blowouts with vial shenanigans, disrupts decks that use their graveyards for value (from snap to drs to loam to p.fire or delve creatures), Human subtype, never dead except in a handful of matchups like Eldrazi or Stax - there are going to be many decks who want to play this little guy.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by emmet View Post
    Calling it now, Stealcaster is the best card of the set (barring another even better card being spoiled) and a future staple for any list playing vials or a red stompy shell. Aggressively costed, decent body, CA source in a color that sorely needs it, potential for huge blowouts with vial shenanigans, disrupts decks that use their graveyards for value (from snap to drs to loam to p.fire or delve creatures), Human subtype, never dead except in a handful of matchups like Eldrazi or Stax - there are going to be many decks who want to play this little guy.
    Link please...

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I think the card sucks, let's see if I look silly in a few months.

Good name for it is Backcaster Mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Lack of flash kills it for me... At least it could have been proactive graveyard hate against Snapcaster if they added that keyword.

On the positive side, you can use it to exile cards in the opponent's GY - though that's basically just loam and raven's crime, right? (Without flash it doesn't really mess up storm decks.)

I would expect to see people try it in 5c humans in modern. In legacy the most likely value stuff to hit is ponder and brainstorm.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by emmet View Post
    For what it's worth, it can be fetched with both types of Recruiters.

It's hard to say if it can find a home in Legacy, but it's certainly an interesting card. Who doesn't want to play 4x Brainstorm, 4x Snapcaster and 4x the opponent's Brainstorms?

Rules question: If you use it on a Delve spell, you can remove cards from your GY to pay the colorless, correct? Given how OP the spells in Vintage are, this might be cool.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

It's hard to say if it can find a home in Legacy, but it's certainly an interesting card. Who doesn't want to play 4x Brainstorm, 4x Snapcaster and 4x the opponent's Brainstorms?
    People who don't want to play bad cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

If it had haste instead of first strike I could see an argument in a Burn as sideboard tech against a few cards, but if the choice is between dealing damage and doing something cute, the answer is to always do damage, so this isn't good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Playing Brainstorm in 4c Loam seems pretty good once you put it like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Rules question: If you use it on a Delve spell, you can remove cards from your GY to pay the colorless, correct? Given how OP the spells in Vintage are, this might be cool.
    Yes, you can also pay 2 life to cast gitaxian probe that way. (Technically, it's generic, not colorless that delve pays for.)

Mar 2007

Edit: How does this work with split cards?

Also, did we have colorless card filtering this cheap before? Top aside, but that card was bullshit anyway.

Split cards not on the stack always have the combined CMC as their only CMC now. This was changed when As Foretold got printed.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Split cards not on the stack always have the combined CMC as their only CMC now. This was changed when As Foretold got printed.
    Ah, I forgot about that. Thanks.

That said, I looked it up and it's indeed the cheapest card filtering tool since Top. Darksteel Pendant is the only other card that could compete with it in terms of cost, but Scry 1 can't get rid of dead cards in hand.

Since Gateway asks about CMC, exiling lands counts as , right?

Since Gateway asks about CMC, exiling lands counts as , right?
    Yes, land cards have a CMC of 0.

Seems legit for commander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jan 2011
    https://t.me/pump_upp

Thread Information