Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Re: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Seems interesting as Mind Twist kind of effect with Leovold, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Chains, etc., e.g.

T2 Chains
    T3 This, goodbye, hand!
    Winds of Change is probably better if you want that kind of silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How so? It just seems like a much worse Explore.
    There's a pretty big difference between 1 and 2 cc. That said the 'target creature' bit is clearly a huge downside.

Timestream Navigator seems abuseable. Combine with some clone effect (Kiki, Splinter Twin) and take infinite turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Timestream Navigator seems abuseable. Combine with some clone effect (Kiki, Splinter Twin) and take infinite turns.
    Maybe with Grenzo, Dungeon Warden?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There's a pretty big difference between 1 and 2 cc. That said the 'target creature' bit is clearly a huge downside.
    Problem with the CMC 1 argument is that it can't be played without a creature, so either you're playing with CMC 0 creatures or you're casting it on turn 2, so the cost isn't a fair representation.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

With Induced Amnesia are there any cheap enchantment sacrifice effects? Play this target yourself, sacrifice the thing on the opponent's turn, get your old cards back, start your turn with 10~12 cards in hand.
    Abjure.
    Last edited by Jander78; 01-02-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added card tags

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post
    Abjure.
    Perilous Research

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

The CMC makes him unplayable in Legacy... but the text on the card is reeeally interesting.

Maybe they're tanking Rivals to make Dominaria look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Maybe they're tanking Rivals to make Dominaria look better.
    It looks pretty terrible for Legacy, I agree.

But I'd say there's a lot of interesting stuff for Modern, Commander and standard going on.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This is so terrible on so many levels, I don't even know where to start.

They're not tanking the power level of Rivals to make RtD better, the power level is like this because this is how they build sets now. Especially after the general Standard clusterfuckery of both BfZ and Kaladesh, they're trying to play it safe and are hoping to use easy pop culture tropes to mask the underlying design flaws. Amonkhet had a lot of the same problems.

As for these cards, they're fine. Elendra is nowhere close to being the worst mythic ever. The second incarnation of Huatli is about as exciting as her first incarnation, so at least she's consistent. Cards like Dead Man's Chest are clearly aimed at casuals and are supposed to be evocative, so I'm not worried about them.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Silent Gravestone (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/ri...ent-gravestone) is a very interesting card. Hoses Deathrite Shaman and Snapcaster Mage, while not interacting with Delve spells or Goyf. Oddly enough, this seems like graveyard hate that Dredge players could or would want to have themselves?!

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Silent Gravestone (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/ri...ent-gravestone) is a very interesting card. Hoses Deathrite Shaman and Snapcaster Mage, while not interacting with Delve spells or Goyf. Oddly enough, this seems like graveyard hate that Dredge players could or would want to have themselves?!
    Storm players are going to love this!

A lot of Storm variants are using Ground Seal nowadays to get around Deathrite Shaman, Surgical Extraction, etc. from decks like Czech Pile.
    This seems like an upgrade.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's a house against Lands... Sadly.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    It also turns off targeted reanimation spells (this includes Dread Return, as far as Dredge is concerned) and Loam. Looks like a excellent card in decks that can utilize it properly.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

The CMC makes him unplayable in Legacy... but the text on the card is reeeally interesting.
    #PlayableInNicFit (with Recurring Nightmare maybe?)

On the upside, DRS decks won't likely run it, nor will Reanimator. D&T probably still prefers RIP. So we are looking at:
    • S&T
    • Burn
    • Prowess
    • Thresh
    • Eldrazi
    • Elves
    All these matches might get a little tougher. On the other hand, a lot of these decks might still prefer Extraction. And if they don't, is this new hoser really that much worse for us than losing Loam, Depths, Wasteland, or whatever, for the remainder of the game?

I find things like this look terrifying at first but end up being not a big deal when all is said and done.

On the upside, World Shaper is a bit too cost intensive to be an effective counter to LD. @Whippoorwill, NicFit-playable is an interesting expression...
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

May 2015
    PDX

Well they do have to make Marit Lage die, and throw that on at sorcery speed...So you're talking about 4 mana to enchant, then Edict. Not exactly healthy card design to reward removal-based strategies and simultaneously undercost Villainous Wealth.

World Shaper seems like he should be called Magus of the Loam.

Edit: ah we're talking about Silent Gravestone, not Dead Man's Chest; nvm.

I think Dice and I were talking about Silent Gravestone.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Thread Information