Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Re: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Can Arch of Orazca see play in Lands? Or is 5 mana for a card too much? Very strong card for slow control, but I don't think that exists even in Modern at this point. Also seems kinda worse than just playing Azcanta.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    This sums up exactly how I feel about the card too but I think it's playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

I'm having trouble figuring out what deck would want it. A 2+ color deck that doesn't use fetches, but still wants to hate greedy fetchland based mana bases?

Biggest benefit is hurting Depths Combo and Tax/Waste effects. Maybe a Red Eldrazi that wants to pump out big Cloudpost mana but not have to deal wtih Wasteland and for some reason doesn't play pithing needle/Spyglass.

Maze'sEnd.dec? Edit: that wouldn't work

I guess Delver can fetch 3 duals and play Blood Sun to turn off Depths and just have no more fetches the rest of the game.

It will probably break that Karoo deck in Modern again somehow. Bounce lands will ETB untapped with no juggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Can Arch of Orazca see play in Lands? ... Also seems kinda worse than just playing Azcanta.
    Arch is a land that taps for mana. Flipped search is obviously better, but Arch is usefully different than unflipped search.

Lands already has better options like Horizon Canopy.

I don't think any of the 'city's blessing' cards are going to see Modern or Legacy play -- 10 or more permanents is a huge hurdle, and the spoiled cards would be marginal - at best - even if it were free.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Disperse in the Wind 2U
    Instant (Rare)
    Exile target nonland permanent. For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying its mana cost.
    This card is... interesting? No broken interactions come to mind, but it might be useful in High Tide, where you can replay Snapcaster/Candelabra, or bounce any hate permanent for one turn. Worse than Snap or even Ghostly Flicker for the former, though maybe more flexible for the latter. The deferred recasting of Snapcaster is also pretty cool.

Edit: Also interacts with Cascade cards, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggl3s
    Ya, your such an amazing player iOwn (should be changed to iPwn FTW) you surpass me with your amazing chalice 1 skillzorz

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'm having trouble figuring out what deck would want it. A 2+ color deck that doesn't use fetches, but still wants to hate greedy fetchland based mana bases?
    It could work as a sideboard card against lands.

"Loses all abilities" stops replacement and trigger abilities... So Glacial Chasm loses the cumulative upkeep cost (but also doesn't prevent any damage), and "enters the battlefield tapped" doesn't happen, right?

Blood Sun works very well with Lotus Vale, Teferi's Isle and Scorched Ruins. Maybe we get a Sun Stompy out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
    Blood Sun works very well with Lotus Vale, Teferi's Isle and Scorched Ruins. Maybe we get a Sun Stompy out of it?
    City of Traitors as well... you can bet I'm intrigued and will be brewing up some awful lists.

It could replace Blood Moon in Show and Tell, since it lets you keep the mana from the sol lands as well as blue from any Volcanics that were searched up. I don't play the deck though.

More and more seems like a solid and aggravating card with the right set up. Completely wrecks fetchland based decks and Lands.

Moon Stompy surely would play it.
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Moon Stompy surely would play it.
    No it won't. Every deck has far too many outs for it to be worth the risk of dedicating 3-4 cards to play it on the first turn. And drawing a random card off the top doesn't mitigate that investment enough.

Also, I don't think Lotus Vale and Scorched Ruins are broken by Blood Sun. My understanding is that the sacrifice wording is a replacement effect which still needs to be satisfied...

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Also, I don't think Lotus Vale and Scorched Ruins are broken by Blood Sun. My understanding is that the sacrifice wording is a replacement effect which still needs to be satisfied...
    Not with the Ixalan rulings changes. 614.12, 614.16d: Now, to determine what replacement effects will apply to a permanent entering the battlefield, you look at continuous effects that modify that permanent's characteristics coming from the permanent itself along with those that already exist and will affect that permanent. Dimir Aqueduct enters the battlefield untapped under Blood Moon. Humility causes creatures with modular to enter without their +1/+1 counters.

Things that lose abilities in play have lost those abilities when they come into play.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

I can't check TCG, but eBay is currently being wiped out of Lotus Vales at the current price of ~$12 and already being relisted at $30.

Pump and dump in effect.

I imagine the other cards are being bought out as well.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I guess Delver can fetch 3 duals and play Blood Sun to turn off Depths and just have no more fetches the rest of the game.
    Lands is such a bad matchup for Delver I don't see why this card wouldn't be tried for just that purpose. You have no problem establishing pressure, especially with red Delver decks that can bolt you out, that not letting them set up their house of horrors for 0 card investment is probably fine.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Not with the Ixalan rulings changes. 614.12, 614.16d: Now, to determine what replacement effects will apply to a permanent entering the battlefield, you look at continuous effects that modify that permanent's characteristics coming from the permanent itself along with those that already exist and will affect that permanent. Dimir Aqueduct enters the battlefield untapped under Blood Moon. Humility causes creatures with modular to enter without their +1/+1 counters.

Things that lose abilities in play have lost those abilities when they come into play.
    Wouldn't that make it another combo partner with Dark Depths? Once it's removed, DD going off immediately since it never had counters?

As for Lotus Vale and company, I just don't see it. You would have to run a bunch of shitty lands to get an effect out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Wouldn't that make it another combo partner with Dark Depths? Once it's removed, DD going off immediately since it never had counters?
    Red Sun -> Dark Depths -> sac outlet is '3 card combo' territory.

Can use Blood Sun or Blood Moon though.

By the way, fucking terrible lazy name. Get it together Wizards.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Red Sun

Bonus points for Marit Lage actually being "fucking invincible".

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

I honestly never thought they would ever print a Wish again. It's been since Future Sight that they have done so.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    [From Aggro_Zombies]

Blood Moon. It depicts a sun. Not a moon. But it's called Blood Moon.

Perfect.
    I'm bleeding from the ears and eyes.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Thread Information