Thread: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

This pirate looks quite juicy:

Warsail Marauder
    Creature - Human Pirate
    Flying
    Whenever Warsail Marauder attacks, target creature defending player controls loses all abilities and has a base power and toughness of 0/1 until end of turn.
    2/1

All it needs is some way to ping something (Jitte is probably the best contender with its evasion, although stuff like Grim Lavamancer is also fair game) and it's going to be a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Warsail Marauder
    Creature - Human Pirate
    Flying
    Whenever Warsail Marauder attacks, target creature defending player controls loses all abilities and has a base power and toughness of 0/1 until end of turn.
    2/1

All it needs is some way to ping something (Jitte is probably the best contender with its evasion, although stuff like Grim Lavamancer is also fair game) and it's going to be a wrecking ball.
    Popeye Stompy 2018

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

The CMC makes him unplayable in Legacy... but the text on the card is reeeally interesting.
    While this card is sure fun with Harrow or Scapeshift shenanigans, I am annoyed that its a mono-green meerfolk
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007

Most likely too expensive to be a control finisher in Legacy, but that card still looks strong:

I wouldn't be suprised if it was one of the cards that completely defines Standard.

Edit:

From what I've just read, Azor was the founder of the Azorius Guild who also travelled the multiverse to spread his "no-fun-allowed" policy. That's kinda nifty.

Midrange: the Gathering
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

From what I've just read, Azor was the founder of the Azorius Guild who also travelled the multiverse to spread his "no-fun-allowed" policy. That's kinda nifty.
    And how the hell would a non-walked do that O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    And how the hell would a non-walked do that O_o
    He was a walker who put his spark in the immortal sun or some such nonsense apparently.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Cheaper Phyrexian Rager, or black Elvish Visionary. Not sure what would want this but it's a cool thing to have exist.

Why does a Peter Pan looking 2/1 pirate twink turn dinosaurs into 0/1 vanilla creatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Why does a Peter Pan looking 2/1 pirate twink turn dinosaurs into 0/1 vanilla creatures?
    Maaaaaaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiic!

I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

you have to use two cards to kill this, comes back with haste, really good

Many of these cards are pretty "meh."

At what point does Merfolk shrug about another 2-drop lord? Does the lack of islandwalk and extra color knock this card out of consideration?
    Today! This lord is inferior in every way to the 8 existing 2-drop lords you can run, unless you're playing UG already for some other reason. There's not another reason. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Silent Gravestone (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/ri...ent-gravestone) is a very interesting card. Hoses Deathrite Shaman and Snapcaster Mage, while not interacting with Delve spells or Goyf. Oddly enough, this seems like graveyard hate that Dredge players could or would want to have themselves?!
    Doesn't do nearly enough to stop Dredge, and while it does stop Reanimate, doesn't touch most other reanimation spells we see in Legacy. Can't you find better, cross-archetype hate to use against Lands? MEH.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post

you have to use two cards to kill this, comes back with haste, really good
    Four mana to make a 4/3? I mean, even if it's unkillable over the long term, that's just not even a good enough rate for Dragon Stompy. When you consider that Swords / Path just bork this bird anyway... MMMEEEEHHH.

But I don't think ALL the cards are meh.

Warsail Marauder
    Creature - Human Pirate
    Flying
    2/1

Well, this Pirate is at least not super terrible. It's going to basically be unblockable most of the time, because even decks that run flying creatures usually don't have too many. And yeah, the interaction with Swords / Jitte is cute. I don't think it's going in any decks in Legacy, but it seems like a fine and dandy casual card.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post

Cheaper Phyrexian Rager, or black Elvish Visionary. Not sure what would want this but it's a cool thing to have exist.
    Black Elvish Visionary indeed! This is a good card to exist, I completely agree. Not totally sure where I want it, though, Elves have a reason for being on the battlefield other than being 1/1s... Vampires...? I guess it really helps fuel the Vampire-centric removal spells from Innistrad.

This duder... is a Johnny's wet dream. If you have a sacrifice outlet for enchantments, it's essentially pay 3 to draw however many cards. That's very, very good. I will be sticking this sucker into my Auratog deck, right alongside Parallax Wave!

Mar 2007

He was a walker who put his spark in the immortal sun or some such nonsense apparently.
    This. He put his spark into the Immortal Sun to prevent Walkers from leaving the plane.

Note that Azor is the same guy who put Supreme Verdict nuke spells for everybody into the Dragon Maze, giving the guilds two options for peace:

1) Reenact the Guildpact or
    2) get peace by giving everybody nukes - so they kill each other until nobody is left alive.

Azor is kind of a dick.

Why no love for the child of Raging Goblin + Mogg Fanatic? I like him.

Jul 2010

Or just an abjectly shitty Baleful Strix in a dominantly blue format.
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

I'm actually pretty excited about Zealot in Pauper. MBC would much rather have its Phyrexian Ragers cost two instead of three because of the way that deck curves out (Zealot into Chittering Rats into Thorn of the Black Rose is a hell of a lot of card advantage), and there's not a lot of difference for that deck between a 1/1 and a 2/2 later in the game.

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I'm actually pretty excited about Zealot in Pauper. MBC would much rather have its Phyrexian Ragers cost two instead of three because of the way that deck curves out (Zealot into Chittering Rats into Thorn of the Black Rose is a hell of a lot of card advantage), and there's not a lot of difference for that deck between a 1/1 and a 2/2 later in the game.
    Totally forgot Pauper. I guess that's the extent MBC isn't on my radar anymore. WB Monarch could also like it: You get a Vial that beats.
    (On Innistrad)

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    This duder... is a Johnny's wet dream. If you have a sacrifice outlet for enchantments, it's essentially pay 3 to draw however many cards. That's very, very good. I will be sticking this sucker into my Auratog deck, right alongside Parallax Wave!
    I'm missing something - why is a sacrifice outlet necessary? Can't I just use Nature's Claim or Wear//Tear?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by BooleanLobster View Post
    I'm missing something - why is a sacrifice outlet necessary? Can't I just use Nature's Claim or Wear//Tear?
    Probably to get something beneficial out of it. Of course it works with GSZ + Reclamation Sage/Pridemage or Abrupt Decay and the likes.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by BooleanLobster View Post
    There's a slight problem with exiling your existing hand and having to draw into the removal spell. Now exiling the hand is a trigger, but now you've gone down 1 card for the enchantment itself and -1 additional card if your existing hand has the kill spell...at which point you were probably better off setting up cantrip -> Predict or even just suspending Ancestral Visions.

The offensive use of this enchantment accomplishes little regardless of whether or not you respond to the trigger; at best you applied a Bedlam Reveler trigger to your opponent without getting ahead on board. If you were planning on a combo with Leovold, why aren't you hiding the effect in the manabase (Cephalid Colosseum)?

The key to a card like this is having a permanent-based gameplan that can profitably sacrifice it (Stax). Hand-based strategies like Abjure or Crack the Earth are entirely unreliable, but something like Ideas Unbound would work in theory though it'd be entirely janky and overcosted and still needs permanent-centric sacrifice strategies. Other Stax analogs could include Arenson's Aura/Teferi's Care, Aura Flux (one of the best arts in magic), Faith Healer, Deed/Nev Disk/EE type effects, or Tranquil Grove. I'm sure other cards exist at maybe legacy-playable costs, but it is quite hard to find permanents that stay on board doing something proactive to avoid the problem of the sacrifice-enabling card having to be in hand (much more freedom to operate with a card like Hatching Plans).

Thread Information