Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way make Foil or Thwart playable?

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Is there a way make Foil or Thwart playable?

I was just thinking about underplayed cards and want to try to brew these into a deck. I think there are merits to each but the card disadvantage is quite great so it'd have to be in the perfect shell.

The best think I can think of with Foil is pitching an island and a reanimator target or an island and a Life from the Loam.

Thwart feels quite a bit tougher to justify but perhaps in some mana bond or exploration deck it could work but that may just be too forced.

Have any other of the great minds here at the Source thought more about this?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Re: Is there a way make Foil or Thwart playable?

I use foil in my (crappy) mono-blue stasis deck. Since im skipping turns and/or drawing extras with a howler, it isn't TOO bad... but its still pretty situational. I guess by that same logic thwart might work too, as i can keep getting untapped lands. So, I guess thanks for reminding me of that card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    The best think I can think of with Foil is pitching an island and a reanimator target or an island and a Life from the Loam.
    The problem is, Foil pretty much requires a mono-Blue build because it requires you to have an Island in your hand. Sure, you can discard dual lands that are Islands to it also, but if you're going into multiple colors you always end up with the dual+fetch manabase, and fetchlands can't be discarded to Foil. This makes it significantly less reliable, and thus only really works if you're in mono-Blue.

Best I can come up with for Foil is to use it in a UGW Slide deck with the UW cycling dual that has the "Island" subtype and recur it with Loam and Witness.

And I'm still not sure that's really better than just recurring Chant or Abeyance every turn.

Apr 2017
    New England Seacoast

I saw Foil in a UB Reanimator shell. It was running x4 Water Grave x4 Underground Sea for a critical mass of Islands to pitch to Foil. I think Andrea Megucci played it a while back. It didn't seem great.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clabian View Post
    I saw Foil in a UB Reanimator shell. It was running x4 Water Grave x4 Underground Sea for a critical mass of Islands to pitch to Foil. I think Andrea Megucci played it a while back. It didn't seem great. ...
    Yeah, I wondered about Foil in some kind of dredge deck for a while.

There are cycling islands now, so, I suppose, it could also be something to attempt with fluctuator.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

I think Thwart has seen play in the orginal Turbo Land deck (in Extended back then).

Both cards are probably best in some deck with Exploration, Crucible of Worlds, Life from the Loam and similar effects.
    Landfall theme also fits nicely then, making the disadvantage to an advantage.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Clabian View Post
    I saw Foil in a UB Reanimator shell. It was running x4 Water Grave x4 Underground Sea for a critical mass of Islands to pitch to Foil. I think Andrea Megucci played it a while back. It didn't seem great.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
    It's not that bad. Daze also returns an Island to hand enabling Foil. Pitch counters and reanimation.dec at least has a pretty strong 2-card combo and the most disruption any combo-deck can reasonably expect to run. That certainly feels like the only real shell you can run it in though; though I suppose you could run Dredge in a similar shell (but needing Islands sucks there).

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

The cycling idea above is certainly interesting. I figured you'd need mono islands so that does muddle a manabase slightly.

What about some janky hightide build that let you replay a bunch of lands somehow?

Once you go Legacy...

Jul 2013
    Texas

There was a uw deck that had thwart and steppe lynx a while back:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...ur-44564#paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the last deck i recall playing both foil and thwart was rising waters!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...sts-2000-01-01
    -rob

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

There is some appeal to pitching an extra land rather than a valuable spell. Nobody expects to see it either, and I would be willing to say 4 mana instead of 5 makes it easier to hardcast. Still not as good turn zero however, especially if a one lander is kept and you needed that land.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I think it may be possible with Life From the Loam. Keep pitching the same three cards over and over giving you a 1G counterspell that feeds the graveyard.
    EDIT: I didn't mean to imply you get Foil back somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

There's Land Tax, but that sounds like we are using bad cards to enable other bad cards.

Ok, my best take on a Slide list to abuse Foil:

Enchantments (6)
    3x Astral Slide
    3x Cast Out

Instants (12)
    4x Foil
    3x Censor
    1x Miscalculation
    2x Daze
    2x Spell Pierce

Sorceries (5)
    2x Supreme Verdict
    3x Life from the Loam

Creatures (7)
    3x Eternal Witness
    4x Tarmogoyf

Artifacts (4)
    4x Mox Diamond

Lands (26)
    4x Irrigated Farmland
    3x Tropical Island
    3x Tundra
    2x Island
    3x Flooded Strand
    3x Misty Rainforest
    4x Lonely Sandbar
    2x Secluded Steppe
    2x Wasteland

Maybe the creatures should be changed up for Curator of Mysteries or you probably want a Jace or Teferi or something in there. Maybe the 3/1 bird wizard that cycle Stifles. Basic plan is to counter everything while you set up your combo and keep the board clear with Verdict and Cast Out for problem cards. Mabye you want an Intuition or something in here? I dunno. Your 'Goyfs will be big at least. And this is one of the few decks that probably would seriously think about Force of Will in the sideboard. So there's that.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I made up a few crappy lists after spending way too much time trying to make a deck with Entombs, Thirst for Knowledge, Foils, Intuition, Snapcasters, and Torrential Gearhulks work. I was intrigued by the possibility of playing some random, high-impact instants along with a 5/6 at the opponent's EOT. However, in trying to make it actually decent (at least to my eyes), I had to cut a lot of the fun for actual good cards. Still, I think Foil can fit the deck well, although I only put one in. The Gearhulks are probably shit in the deck, and they looked a lot better with the black splash, but whatever, I just want to try to make them work.

Urg Intuition Gearhulk
    Mana Sources - 27
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    8 Island
    1 Irrigated Farmland
    2 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Mox Diamond

Win - 9
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Torrential Gearhulk
    2 Jace, the Mindsculptor

Engine - 7
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    3 Intuition
    1 Life from the Loam

Control - 16
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Vedalken Shackles
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Force of Will
    1 Foil
    2 Counterspell
    1 Forbid

Is there a way make Foil or Thwart playable?

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    I made up a few crappy lists after spending way too much time trying to make a deck with Entombs, Thirst for Knowledge, Foils, Intuition, Snapcasters, and Torrential Gearhulks work. I was intrigued by the possibility of playing some random, high-impact instants along with a 5/6 at the opponent's EOT. However, in trying to make it actually decent (at least to my eyes), I had to cut a lot of the fun for actual good cards. Still, I think Foil can fit the deck well, although I only put one in. The Gearhulks are probably shit in the deck, and they looked a lot better with the black splash, but whatever, I just want to try to make them work.

Urg Intuition Gearhulk
    Mana Sources - 27
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    8 Island
    1 Irrigated Farmland
    2 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Mox Diamond

Win - 9
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Torrential Gearhulk
    2 Jace, the Mindsculptor

Engine - 7
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    3 Intuition
    1 Life from the Loam

Control - 16
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Vedalken Shackles
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Force of Will
    1 Foil
    2 Counterspell
    1 Forbid
    Really like this list
    EDIT: not foil in particular though

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Really like this list
    EDIT: not foil in particular though
    Yeah the deck pays the cost of it pretty well, but you're still losing three cards. Even though it can cancel out the loss of cards throughout the game, the one time disadvantage probably isn't worth it. I like the look of it too, so I am going to throw it together and see how it runs.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

I've been thinking upon this concept more and more. I feel like Manabond would be pretty cool or even World Shaper or Gitrog in a Nic Fit shell

Once you go Legacy...

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    I feel like Manabond would be pretty cool
    I think once you start talking about Manabond you're probably not going to want counterspells in your deck.

Thread Information