Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Why pay four mana for a Tolarian Maybe-cademy when you can S&T into Grozzledumb and skillfully draw 14 cards like your favorite SCG Pro?
    All of this while skillfully setting up the combo and shuffling back redundant cards with the most skillfull card of all magic!

Let's skillfully avoid circlejerking about Brainstorm and instead keep the discussion focused on the new cards.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Let's skillfully avoid circlejerking about Brainstorm and instead keep the discussion focused on the new cards.
    So uh...how about that Tetzimoc eh?!?!

I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

The planeswalker deck cards have been revealed. Angrath, a r/b minotaur pirate walker is one, and mono black Vraska is the other.

What was really interesting to me was this:

Vraska's Conquistador
    1B
    Uncommon
    If you control a Vraska planeswalker when ~ attacks or blocks, target opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life
    2/1

Like, what the hell, that's playable. Very playable. A 2/1 for 2 that his for 4 on the attack and damages and lifegains on the defense? That's nuts. Guess it just depends if we get a Vraska worth playing in the main set to go along with Relic Seeker.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The planeswalker deck cards have been revealed. Angrath, a r/b minotaur pirate walker is one, and mono black Vraska is the other.

What was really interesting to me was this:

Vraska's Conquistador
    1B
    Uncommon
    If you control a Vraska planeswalker when ~ attacks or blocks, target opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life
    2/1

Like, what the hell, that's playable. Very playable. A 2/1 for 2 that his for 4 on the attack and damages and lifegains on the defense? That's nuts. Guess it just depends if we get a Vraska worth playing in the main set to go along with Relic Seeker.
    How often have we got 2 cards for the same planeswalker in 1 block? Is Khans Sarkhan the only example?
    I guess 'Have we ever got a PW deck when another version of the PW wasn't in the same set' is also a relevant question
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 12-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Most of the time I can understand what WotC was getting at when I see a card. This is one of the times I can't.

Brass’s Bounty 6R

Sorcery (R)

For each land you control, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with “T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.”
    Seven mana rituals are silly, and it doesn't even seem that great with Revel in Riches either.

Most of the time I can understand what WotC was getting at when I see a card. This is one of the times I can't.

Seven mana rituals are silly, and it doesn't even seem that great with Revel in Riches either.
    Anointed Procession storm incoming tier 0

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Well, but it's not that much different than Skittering Invasion though and I imagine you know how you'd use that? [Note: it's better in every single way, minus crusade effects or blockers.]

This card is there so you can play a 14-15 mana spell the next turn. It can allow any two color R deck to hardcast progenitus. It can also allow a mono-R deck to convert it's mana to hardcast Nicol Bolas. You can save that mana next turn and make a BIGGER Comet Storm/Fireball/Blazing-whatever/etc..

Just imagine something that's big, then say "What if I could do it.. biglier?"

EDIT: Also, seven artifacts EtB? Glaze Fiend wouldn't mind that. Disciple of the Vault could get some use as could Moriok Rigger. Yes, it is casual garbage, but you can definitely find combo uses for it outside of just casting bigger spells next turn.

Also, I feel like you've never seen cards like Grinning Ignus, which as a casual card has major use. I cast T3 Inferno Titans with that bad boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Brass's Bounty is a 2 card win con with that one black guy from Kaladesh. Guess it works with Revel in Riches too. Standard only though.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Brass's Bounty is a 2 card win con with that one black guy from Kaladesh. Guess it works with Revel in Riches too. Standard only though.
    You mean Marionette Master?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

It still feels like a high tide for 7 mana...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Okay... so this is something that triggers from casting that card and then for every card afterwards, or is it a universal status like threshold that you get even if you don't have any cards with the mechanic?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Okay... so this is something that triggers from casting that card and then for every card afterwards, or is it a universal status like threshold that you get even if you don't have any cards with the mechanic?
    Pretty sure it's the first, not the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    It's a two step process :

1) Card with ascend : when you cast it, if you ≥ 10 permanents at the time, you get a city's blessing "emblem" (you have it now and for the rest of the game even if you go under 10 permanents)

2) Cards that care that you have the city's blessing "emblem".

Right now, the only card they spoiled use the two mechanics, but nothing in the "rules" (at least nothing in the reminder text) prevent the existence of cards with only one part of the mechanic.

My understanding:

Its not a cast trigger. Not a trigger at all. Its just a thing that happens when the spell resolves. In this case you ascend, get your blessing, then your opponent has to sac 1/2
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's a replacement effect.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2015
    PDX

Note the "If" in the text box. You have to resolve that spell to gain the blessing - while that spell sits on the stack doing nothing, you're free to remove permanents from the field to deny....let's call it "battlefield spell mastery." There is no trigger to Stifle.

This "City" mechanic is another parasitic one. It's Energy, but with a Boolean instead of an Integer. Lame.

That said, the cards can still be playable if they're good on their own. It is most similar to the mechanic we've seen on
    Accumulated Knowledge and Take Inventory; namely, the cards get better when you play multiples. It doesn't scale quite as well, but it could still be playable.

The big questions are: what will the trigger conditions be, and will the cards be playable without them? b Will ALL cards have their own trigger condition? Will some only trigger the City, and others only get a benefit but not trigger it on their own?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    This "City" mechanic is another parasitic one. It's Energy, but with a Boolean instead of an Integer. Lame.
    Yeah...

Ascend feels like they are trying to make a story component into an integral part of playing the game. At first glance it feels very forced.

Thread Information