Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [RIX] Rivals of Ixalan

If I remember correctly, the Rules adviser in the building told them they had to do it exactly how it was done for some reason. He also told them "Don't do this, it's going to end poorly." Maro has I think said he wished they had listened.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Let's discuss some newly spoiled cards:

Similiar to Pridemage, although more defensive than it. Doesn't require white, but the extra mana and double green are pretty step, especially as a GSZ target when Reclamation Sage exists. Might be more Standard fodder and more padding for EDH, but I could be wrong.

Bad color combination, 5 mana is too expensive to be Legacy-good.

Edit: Despite being UG, this seems pretty good:

Last edited by Barook; 01-01-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Immunity to Lightning Bolt is nice on Kumena, but none of his other abilities are particularly relevant. If you're playing a bunch of Merfolk, you're playing a bunch of Merfolk lords, so tapping your 4/4s or whatever to draw a card seems pretty loose. I think he's Standard fodder because there just aren't enough lords there to tilt the math in favor of attacking versus durdling.

The other two are very meh. The comparison between Rec Sage and the dinosaur is actually slightly narrower than it might seem at first blush because Sage's body is pretty irrelevant whereas the dinosaur is actually okay, but most people are only running those cards for the Disenchant anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

I could see the Dinosaur being a good run for your maindeck over something like Rec Sage if you're not sure if you'll need the artifact/enchant hate but want it "just in case" because the body far, far more relevant than something like Rec Sage or Qasali.

Qasali being two mana is huge. The fact that it can also pump other things without having to get into combat itself is also good.

I'd say the dinosaur is only better than Qasali if you're not interested in splashing white but don't care about double green, which is a pretty rare spot.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I don't really pay attention to formats other than Legacy, but am I missing something, or is Elenda, the Dusk Rose (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/ri...-the-dusk-rose) (at least a close contender for) the Worst Mythic Rare Ever?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

No, that is a very good ability in EDH. The idea that she will die but leave shit around for others to deal with anyway.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007

Might be too cute for Legacy, but is interesting nonetheless, as it has a built-in Ascend enabler:

Tilonalli's Summoner
    Creature - Human Shaman
    Ascend
    Every time ~ attacks, you may pay X. If you do, create X 1/1 Elemental creature tokens tapped and attacking. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step, unless you have the City's blessing.
    1/1

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Might be too cute for Legacy, but is interesting nonetheless, as it has a built-in Ascend enabler:

Tilonalli's Summoner
    Creature - Human Shaman
    Ascend
    Every time ~ attacks, you may pay X. If you do, create X 1/1 Elemental creature tokens tapped and attacking. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step, unless you have the City's blessing.
    1/1
    It's not even cute, it's just putrid. It needs to be a 2/1 at the very least or have some sort of evasion and even then it would be a mile away from legacy playable.

That UG merfolk lord sucks too. Why are you tapping three merfolk to draw a card when you should be tapping them to kill your opponent?
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

I wonder if Enter the Unkown is an effect that bogles decks want.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I wonder if Enter the Unkown is an effect that bogles decks want.
    How so? It just seems like a much worse Explore.

More Merfolk stuff:

How so? It just seems like a much worse Explore.

More Merfolk stuff:
    Yay, because what Legacy needed was for Merfolk to be even MORE like pure Slivers.

Dunno if it's worth a Green splash though.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

More Merfolk stuff
    At what point does Merfolk shrug about another 2-drop lord? Does the lack of islandwalk and extra color knock this card out of consideration?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    At what point does Merfolk shrug about another 2-drop lord? Does the lack of islandwalk and extra color knock this card out of consideration?
    Between Cavern, Unclaimed Territory and Aether Vial, is being off-color really being that much of an issue anymore, aside from being slightly more susceptible to non-basic hate?

Edit: There's also a cheap Vampire lord now:

Also, the new PW seems extremely lame:

So are these the duel deck promo planeswalkers? Because they seem like hot garbage
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Between Cavern, Unclaimed Territory and Aether Vial, is being off-color really being that much of an issue anymore, aside from being slightly more susceptible to non-basic hate?
    You're right, but I'm still not confident Legacy Merfolk wants this...
    Modern Merfolk will love it though.

Also, the new PW seems extremely lame
    Yeah, boring planeswalker needs creatures but is still boring with them.
    I will point out how quickly she can ultimate though... Her +1 adds a loyalty counter, then adds counters equal to creatures you control.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

The GW walker seemed like it could have worked in Elves as another glimpse or to psuedo Hoof, if it was something like CITP with loyalty equal to the number of creatures and not the turn after. Plus splashing white while not impossible doesn't help it any.

With Induced Amnesia are there any cheap enchantment sacrifice effects? Play this target yourself, sacrifice the thing on the opponent's turn, get your old cards back, start your turn with 10~12 cards in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    The GW walker seemed like it could have worked in Elves as another glimpse or to psuedo Hoof, if it was something like CITP with loyalty equal to the number of creatures and not the turn after. Plus splashing white while not impossible doesn't help it any.

With Induced Amnesia are there any cheap enchantment sacrifice effects? Play this target yourself, sacrifice the thing on the opponent's turn, get your old cards back, start your turn with 10~12 cards in hand.
    Seems interesting as Mind Twist kind of effect with Leovold, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Chains, etc., e.g.

T2 Chains
    T3 This, goodbye, hand!

I was considering that she could be used in Maverick, since they can flood out creatures, and she could ramp up pretty quickly there. However, you're still paying 4 mana, +1, next turn +1 (unless you had 4 creatures out), then ultimate...or you can play something like Elemental Bond - which I'm sure there's something better but I can't think of it. So 4 mana and 2-3 turns of doing nothing.

Past that she can boost Birds of Paradise.

Maybe some kind of Elves that is bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

Not really. This comes up with Hatching Plans too.

Is there any reason that Induced Amnesia is not "aura, enchant player."? (I guess that means you don't have to pick the target until it's actually in play... though maybe they could just get rid of auras entirely if they want that.)

If it gets flickered, bounced or exiled, the exiled cards stay away indefinitely too.

Thread Information