Thread: Small local event - Enchantress Build

Small local event - Enchantress Build

I posted this to Enchantress thread. I don't know if I can post here, as it's just a tournament in a small LGS, not a proper tournament.
    Mods, feel free to remove if so.

For those who are interested, I just played a 3-rounder with Enchantress, and went 3-0 in matches (6-1 in games).

First off - decklist:

// Lands
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Plains
    8 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept heath
    3 Wooded foothills

// Creatures
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Argothian Enchantress

// Spells
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Solitary Confinement
    1 Suppression Field
    1 Sphere of Safety
    2 Journey to Nowhere
    3 Elephant Grass
    1 Exploration
    3 Mirri's Guile

// Sideboard
    1 Solemnity
    2 choke
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1 Aura of Silence

Some clear choices, some less clear.
    I wanted RiP + Helm combo main, but I prefer having fewer dead cards (RiP is a little useless against a lot of decks, and Helm is obviously a terrible topdeck if no RiP).

I've gone from 3, then to 2, reduced to 1 and then finally 0 Sterling Grove. I've found it to be slow, never really threatening to them and given how little enchantment destruction (really only abrupt decay) is played, I always wished it was something else. So I replaced the 2 with Journey to nowhere and honestly never looked back.

Brief report. Apologies, I didn't take notes, but will do my best to recall relevant points.

Match 1 - Stoneblade variant I think
    Game 1 - He started, tropical island - go.
    I started with a Mirri's Guile, and pretended to be delighted he didn't counter it and about how it's the best card in the deck, etc. I really enjoy playing mind games with people, and getting people to counter or not counter spells incorrectly.
    I played standard game after that (ramping up) and then going for enchantress. I had 2x Green Suns and Enchantress Presence. For my 4th turn, I used Mirri's guile to put Argothian Enchantress on the top, draw it and claimed false glee about it finally being the card I needed.
    I had a solitary Confinement in my hand that I didn't want him to counter, and he'd not done much this game. He'd cast a Noble Hierarch and Deathrite Shaman (I'd oblivion ringd the DRS) and otherwise he'd just used a load of cantrips. He had no mana issues, so I had to presume a lot of counterspell action in his hand.
    I cast my Argothian, pretended to be dejected when he played FoW (exiling daze). He played a True-name, then passed the turn with more mana open. I cast my Green Sun x=2, with 4 mana open. Again, 'delighted' that I 'finally' got what I needed. He FoW again without question, exiling another daze.
    The remaining mana I cast my Presence. It wasn't countered. He's basically out of cards now, with 2 creatures in play and me on a healthy ~20 life.
    All over for him now, I could feel it.

He cast stoneforge in his turn, attacked me down to 14 or something non-scary.
    I cast an argothian, my confinement (card draw engine running smoothly) followed by a bunch of other stuff. He scooped.

Sideboard: I didn't make any changes.

Game 2:
    He's now convinced my game is entirely dependent on Mirri's Guile. Luckily, it's in my opening hand.
    He plays land (non-blue), DRS.
    My turn, I have usual ramp, wild growth I think, argothian, presence, 2 fetch + Sanctum, journey to nowhere. .. .. and Mirri's Guile.
    If I get argothian + presence out, with journey backup against DRS, I'm fairly confident this game is in the bag.

So... I played fetch to forest, and knowing he can't daze with his land and only FoW, I was eagerly slamming down the Mirri's Guile. He immediately whipped out the FoW and discarded Leovold, emissary of trest (!!!). He could have hard casted it next turn, and would have slowed me down (and possibly even won if he used that counter on my journey to nowhere).
    He was delighted with his move.
    So was I.

His turn, he played stoneforge for batterskull and attacked with DRS.
    Next couple of turns went along fine, me getting board presence, him attacking with batterskull et al.
    I landed Elephant grass, which slowed him pretty hard. Followed fairly swiftly by oblivion ring and then hard casted Emrakul.

That was all she wrote.

Match 2 - 4 colour control deck

Game 1: Nothing too eventful. He played well but couldn't kill me before I landed solitary confinement. I actually had 3 in my hand at one point, and used 1 to bait a counter, and the second as a holy day to buy me the turn I needed. I managed to hard cast a big old flying monster and won me the game.
    Note, during this game I was again delighted by my Mirri's guile. FYI, I know they are good (hence why I play them) but if someone is going to be determined to counter something, I want it to be that

Sideboard: I saw he had snapcasters, gurmag, DRS, lingering souls so I brought in Leyline Package.
    In: Leyline of the Void x4, Helm of Obedience x1, RiPx1
    Out: Seal of Primodium x1, Sigil x1, Oblivion ring x1, Solitary Confinement x1, Exploration x1, Sphere of Safety x1

Game 2: My opening turns are ramp + enchantress presence, with a starting Leyline of the Void. He casts meddling mage... naming Mirri's Guile. (honestly... people need to play against this deck more).
    I pretend to be disappointed. I did eventually draw a couple of them, but they ended up being fodder to my solitary confinement while I built up my board and hand.
    I draw Helm, he doesn't have any counters left and it's gg.

Match 3 - Infect
    Game 1: I'm on the play, got going nicely as he gets out a medium speed start. He's got a Pendlehaven, noble heirarch, and casts a blighted agent which I send on a journey.
    Another mind-game I played in this game, was to clear the way for my beautiful Serra's Sanctum that was nestled in my hand. I know generally infect runs ~1 wasteland and I didn't want it pointed at the Sanctum. So while fetching I asked him if Infect plays wasteland. He said he wouldn't say (of course) so I joked that it means he doesn't have any. While searching, I made it clear that this was a crucial land (it wasn't) and I'd have gone basic plains if he had played wasteland etc. etc.
    Anyway, his next turn he played the wasteland he'd been saving, and destroyed my savannah. Nice turn of events, I found out later from him that the mana he could have left open, instead of playing & saccing the wasteland, would have used it for spell pierce for next turn's Seal of Primordium.

I landed the Serra's Sanctum next turn, and over the following 4 turns I won the game entirely due to that land and it's ridiculous mana and my Seal of Primordium.
    One fun play during this game was he had 1 inkmoth nexus staring down a Seal of Primordium. He had to wait until he drew a crop rotation into nexus.
    Which he did.
    So he attacked with both. I think he thought I'd forgotten about my Seal when I agreed to take the damage. He triumphantly played his become immense after which I broke the seal and killed the big nexus.
    Maybe because it had been a long night, but he'd totally missed that line of play and seemed shocked.

Anyway, a couple of turns later my Emrakul made short work of him and it was onto game 2.

Sideboard: -1 Exploration, +1 Solemnity

Game 2: a.k.a. the only game I lost that night.

He started. Inkmoth nexus.
    I played land, green sun into dryad arbor.

Turn 2. attack with Inkmoth. invigorate + invigorate, straight to the face.
    My journey to nowhere sitting useless in my hand. Where's a vedalken orrery when you need one?

Game 3
    This was a close game, and he managed to deal 7 infect to me.
    But in one turn, (maybe turn 5?) I cast Sigil, solemnity, solitary confinement and elephant grass (plus other enchantments)

He had one abrupt decay. I had about 5 angels, and he had to concede.

-----

All in all, a great evening.
    Some thoughts:
    I always felt choke would be too slow and never wanted to sideboard in. I'll probably replace 1-2 with carpet of flowers and see if that helps.
    I didn't play any very unfair decks (even infect relies on attacking, albeit with amazing effectiveness), so some cards didn't see action - sigarda, sanctity.
    I wanted another suppression field. Solid performer everytime I drew it. Just happened I didn't have one, and couldn't find one to buy.

Any input would be great!
    and sorry for scattered report, it's hard from memory.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Re: Small local event - Enchantress Build

Hello, thanks for taking the time to put up a report.

[Sterling Grove]

I am really a big fan of Sterling Grove, I can't really see myself dropping to less than 3, specially as Abrupt Decay is pretty common.
    It's a main decked removal that hits our engine, our protection, and possibly our O-ring effect as well.
    I would say give them another go, in this deck think of them as a tutor that replaces itself.

[Enchantress Engine]

I would like to recommend going upto 12 enchantress effect in total. There's just so many countermagic, discard, decay around that takes care of our engine.
    If we can establish our engine and get it to stick, then we're in a pretty good position, without it not really.
    Even some random things like Liliana can take out the Argothian, DnT has Counsil's Judgement too.

[Exile Effects]

With Leovold, being pretty popular, and abrupt decay as well, some went for the 4CC route.
    Cast Out is a pretty good card that gives so much value to the deck if you have replenish.
    You can cycle it out early when its useless, and work on establishing your board, then replenish them back when you need it.
    I am a big fan of the new 4cc card though Ixalan's Binding as when you exile something, its gone for good.
    It also blanks a lot of the opponents draws as they will be drawing cards that they cannot cast, giving us free turns.

Other than that, good job, and keep up the fight.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Re: Small local event - Enchantress Build

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    Hello, thanks for taking the time to put up a report.

[Sterling Grove]

I am really a big fan of Sterling Grove, I can't really see myself dropping to less than 3, specially as Abrupt Decay is pretty common.
    It's a main decked removal that hits our engine, our protection, and possibly our O-ring effect as well.
    I would say give them another go, in this deck think of them as a tutor that replaces itself.

[Enchantress Engine]

I would like to recommend going upto 12 enchantress effect in total. There's just so many countermagic, discard, decay around that takes care of our engine.
    If we can establish our engine and get it to stick, then we're in a pretty good position, without it not really.
    Even some random things like Liliana can take out the Argothian, DnT has Counsil's Judgement too.

[Exile Effects]

With Leovold, being pretty popular, and abrupt decay as well, some went for the 4CC route.
    Cast Out is a pretty good card that gives so much value to the deck if you have replenish.
    You can cycle it out early when its useless, and work on establishing your board, then replenish them back when you need it.
    I am a big fan of the new 4cc card though Ixalan's Binding as when you exile something, its gone for good.
    It also blanks a lot of the opponents draws as they will be drawing cards that they cannot cast, giving us free turns.

Other than that, good job, and keep up the fight.
    Thanks for the response and all the advice. I'll feedback some comments:

Sterling Grove:
    I have tried the Grove's but I have found them underwhelming. They lose you card advantage, do little to advance your board state, but as you mentioned, they do protect my enchantments.
    Honestly, do you find them to be better than simply another version of what you're protecting? And if you use them to search for a 'silver bullet' you lose the protection you had in the first place.
    What 3 cards would you remove from my MD list to add them? I guess whenever I drew them, I always wished they were the card I ended up searching for with it anyway (solitary confinement mostly). So I removed 3, added 2 solitary + 1 Seal of Primordium and never looked back.

The Enchantress Engine - I tend to fluctuate between 3 and 4 Zenith's. I might go back to 4, but again, not sure what I want to take out. I like them as a 4-of because I sometimes use as ramp to fetch dryad if desperate.

Exile effects, agreed. I think I'll add some Ixalan's Binding and see how they fare. I'm still not sure about the extra mana, but happy to test.
    I'm planning on taking the list this week for another evening at my LGS, so I can write another report if that would be of interest.

Thread Information