Thread: Validating Triggers

Hybrid View

Validating Triggers

Hello,
    I just want to make sure my understanding of triggers is correct in this scenario:
    I'm playing tribal pirates with Captain Lannery Storm and Fathom Fleet Captain in play with one land untapped. I declare attackers with both. Since i control the creatures and their respective triggers, I can put the Fathom Fleet's pay 2 ability on the stack first, then the Lannery treasure generating one on top of that. Assuming no responses/stifles the top (Lannery) resolves, giving me the treasure, which I can then use with my untapped land to generate a pirate token.

Is this action correct?

Re: Validating Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Hello,
    I just want to make sure my understanding of triggers is correct in this scenario:
    I'm playing tribal pirates with Captain Lannery Storm and Fathom Fleet Captain in play with one land untapped. I declare attackers with both. Since i control the creatures and their respective triggers, I can put the Fathom Fleet's pay 2 ability on the stack first, then the Lannery treasure generating one on top of that. Assuming no responses/stifles the top (Lannery) resolves, giving me the treasure, which I can then use with my untapped land to generate a pirate token.

Is this action correct?
    Yes, this works the way you want.
    When you have a 'may' trigger (like the Fathom Fleet Captain) you decide whether to do the action when the trigger resolves (including paying the mana in this case).

603.5. Some triggered abilities’ effects are optional (they contain “may,” as in “At the beginning of your upkeep, you may draw a card”). These abilities go on the stack when they trigger, regardless of whether their controller intends to exercise the ability’s option or not. The choice is made when the ability resolves. Likewise, triggered abilities that have an effect “unless” something is true or a player chooses to do something will go on the stack normally; the “unless” part of the ability is dealt with when the ability resolves.

Thread Information