Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unstable

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Re: Unstable

I just noticed the cards from Unstable are more like ordinary magic cards compared to the cards from Unglued and Unhinged. I mean there are a lot of cards in previous two un-series break the card frame norm, I really don't know why they abandon this kind of designation.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talentrs, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talentrs, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

I can only wonder what card you are referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Brainstorm is restricted so you can fetch it.

I wonder who could be behind this post....

Aug 2015
    Chilltown

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    I wonder who could be behind this post....
    RUBINSKYYYYYYYY!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    If you diversified your cantrips, a chalice wouldn't be a liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    You want interesting, nonbinary games? Don't make your deck so reliant on cantrips, like pretty much every above deck.
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Almost everyone plays decks that are strictly worse 75s than the top decks - which most people could sleeve up if they wanted to, they just elected not to.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Once upon the time Kird Ape was banned though, y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Once upon the time Kird Ape was banned though, y'know.
    No no its Dingus Egg! Banned for a season about 50 years ago...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    No no its Dingus Egg! Banned for a season about 50 years ago...
    Don't forget Orcish Oriflamme.
    One upon a time a resident of the vintage restricted list!

How does the host ability interact with copy effects like Duplication Device? In particular, if a creature becomes a copy of a host, can that creature be augmented, and, if so, what happens when the Duplication Device effect wears off?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Just ordered the tokens I wanted.

Curious to hear from others what they plan to get from this set and why.

Some of these cards I wouldn't have a problem with in EDH.

I imagine people will go for the basics and that's it though. Or they'll get foil Spikes to serve as Batterskull tokens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    One woman shows up on a card named "Spike" and suddenly the thread turns into a discussion that's actually about ethics in journalism. You guyYyYyyyyYyYYys

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Just ordered the tokens I wanted.

Curious to hear from others what they plan to get from this set and why.
    Oh man, I love this set so much. It's like a decade of pent up cool rules interactions that just wouldn't be allowed in regular sets. If you set aside the artwork and focus on the mechanics, this set is much more like Future Sight than it is like the prior Unsets. Since I play almost exclusively cube and casual 60 nowadays (where did my Vintage group go!) I evaluate these as regular ol' cards. Here's what I like the most and am buying into:

1. All of the Augment/Host cards. These things are fun as heck and cheap, great for kids to play with.
    2. Summon the Pack. This is cube gold right here and goes in right behind Booster Touter.
    3. Animate Library. A 30+/30+ for six? In Blue?
    4. As Luck Would Have It. I have a Chance Encounter / Frenetic Efreet deck, and one day I will have an infinite combo based on rolling dice, too!
    5. Masterful Ninja. Black weenie rejoice! Now you have your very own Memnite.
    6. More or Less. Goes infinite with anything that has an activation cost of {1} that has a cumulatively increasing effect. Here's a list!

Adarkar Sentinel
    Carrion Ants
    Dronepack Kindred
    Snow Fortress
    Soldevi Simulacrum
    Wall of Opposition

It also plays well with stuff that has a single-use cost that is only {1}, like Circles of Protection and so on, but those are less interesting than winning with a 1,000,000 / 1,000,000 Carrion Ants. By the way, I learned here that Ice Age and Legends seem to be the only sets where creatures could get bigger based on paying 1 colorless mana. Except for Dronepack Kindred. There's some Magic Trivia for ya!
    7. The Grand Calculatron. This seems like a control deck's worst nightmare. Bury the removal or countermagic in akward places and profit!
    8. Split Screen. Card is busted nuts. Going to make a whole new deck with this bad boy including such notables as:

Yet Another Aether Vortex
    Mise
    Reason // Believe
    Conch Horn

And a bunch of fatties!
    9. Rules Lawyer. I have not even figured out all the ways to break this thing, but holy cow must there be.
    10. Over My Dead Bodies. A dredge win condition like never before!

In response, tell me the best way to break Rules Lawyer! :D

EDIT: Also I just read up on exactly what is meant by "Beginning Phase" in modern magic, with respect to Clocknapper. https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...tbt-2017-11-22

So, lemme get this straight. Whenever I trigger Clocknapper's ETB trigger, I can choose "beginning phase" to deny my opponent's untap, upkeep, and DRAW steps? And, if I really need to, I can also decide instead to steal the combat step as as last resort? Uh..

11. Clocknapper - Might be the most busted card in the set. Mistbind Clique never looked so good. Blink effects make this totally insane, and I'm gonna be cramming this monster into my Eldrazi Displacer / Surprise Deployment deck!
    Last edited by MaximumC; 11-27-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Oh man, I love this set so much. It's like a decade of pent up cool rules interactions that just wouldn't be allowed in regular sets. If you set aside the artwork and focus on the mechanics, this set is much more like Future Sight than it is like the prior Unsets.
    This is true, but it kills me that the (no schtick) most mechanically complex and creative set released in almost a decade isn't legal in any format. Kind of a slap in the face especially after the unmitigated, dumbed-down shit that was Ixalan.

"BBbbdffvbdfgdfgdfut deeenothaurz!!!!!!!" gurgle the WotC Defense Force as they chug a gallon of Mountain Dew.

This is true, but it kills me that the (no schtick) most mechanically complex and creative set released in almost a decade isn't legal in any format. Kind of a slap in the face especially after the unmitigated, dumbed-down shit that was Ixalan.

"BBbbdffvbdfgdfgdfut deeenothaurz!!!!!!!" gurgle the WotC Defense Force as they chug a gallon of Mountain Dew.
    I heard they wanted to try out new complex mechanics and test it with this. So its not a slap in tha face, more like a teaser!?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I thought the dinosaurs were kinda cool...

Are you a little un-curious? Do you want to experiment with your buddy's carnivorous parrot? Well, you're in luck, because for a limited time only silver-boarded cards are legal in EDH.

http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

I think this is really cool, and it's nice to see them putting fans of the un-cards on the inside instead of the outside for once. Magic is diverse, though, so there are tons of voices complaining about this decision because they don't like it. Given how local-rules oriented EDH is anyway, the vitrol seems overblown, but to each their own.

In terms of Legacy, this is a fantastic example of something I'd love to see them doing more often: experimenting with temporarily allowing banned cards to cycle into sanctioned play. At least it's a data point on how that works out. And -- I know we're a long, long, long, way from this, and I know the EDH rules committee is not WOTC- maybe this experiment will convince more people that other official, sleeve-playable, but currently illegal printings (World Champ cards, CE, IE) might not be so bad to allow into organized play. At least it's a data point.

In any event, I'm looking forward to slamming Clocknapper down in Roon :d

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Hah! They did ban a few of the silver-bordered cards. Maybe they didn't realize that only makes them fetchable by Spike, Tournament Grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Hah! They did ban a few of the silver-bordered cards. Maybe they didn't realize that only makes them fetchable by Spike, Tournament Grinder.
    Does it though?

I think the way Spike works is that she gets you a card banned SOMEWHERE... but it still has to be legal in the format you're pulling it into. Right?

Aug 2015
    Chilltown

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Are you a little un-curious? Do you want to experiment with your buddy's carnivorous parrot? Well, you're in luck, because for a limited time only silver-boarded cards are legal in EDH.

http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

I think this is really cool, and it's nice to see them putting fans of the un-cards on the inside instead of the outside for once. Magic is diverse, though, so there are tons of voices complaining about this decision because they don't like it. Given how local-rules oriented EDH is anyway, the vitrol seems overblown, but to each their own.

In terms of Legacy, this is a fantastic example of something I'd love to see them doing more often: experimenting with temporarily allowing banned cards to cycle into sanctioned play. At least it's a data point on how that works out. And -- I know we're a long, long, long, way from this, and I know the EDH rules committee is not WOTC- maybe this experiment will convince more people that other official, sleeve-playable, but currently illegal printings (World Champ cards, CE, IE) might not be so bad to allow into organized play. At least it's a data point.

In any event, I'm looking forward to slamming Clocknapper down in Roon :d
    Time to pick up 99 Cheatyfaces before they spike to a billion dollars a pop.

And here's hoping there's a thaw in the attitude toward gold-bordered cards. Would love to get some play out of my seven golden Rishadan Ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    If you diversified your cantrips, a chalice wouldn't be a liability.
    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    You want interesting, nonbinary games? Don't make your deck so reliant on cantrips, like pretty much every above deck.
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Almost everyone plays decks that are strictly worse 75s than the top decks - which most people could sleeve up if they wanted to, they just elected not to.

Thread Information