Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to Eldrazi Stompy?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Re: What happened to Eldrazi Stompy?

The hype and interest in this deck has really died down, at least on The Source. The last post in the Eldrazi Stompy thread is from 11/6, despite this deck recently being moved to DTB.

My personal guess as to why people aren't hyping it is that the deck is just too consistently linear. AKA its boring. Cast one creature per turn and turn em sideways.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It's also unlikely to get new toys until Eldrazi are revisited.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Why would you write that? The decks to beat section does not determine which decks are popular. It is a reflection of them. The topic predates the update in DTB by like a day. So any changes in it has been present in the meta for weeks already. And you already know that.
    I, like many, don't follow much other sources. Apparently same with the starter of this thread. What's so difficult about this? I also think that the question was a bit controversial but I understand why someone would ask it.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Is it a DTB based on like SCG and online results I guess? My recent seventy person quarterly in Atlanta I think I saw one person playing eldrazi and it was the grim monolith post variation
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    My recent seventy person quarterly in Atlanta I think I saw one person playing eldrazi and it was the grim monolith post variation
    Same tournament where I heard Pox made top 8 and goblins, merfolk and painter made appears. So there is that.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Thresh84 View Post
    Same tournament where I heard Pox made top 8
    So, like 1998 or something?
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Is it a DTB based on like SCG and online results I guess? My recent seventy person quarterly in Atlanta I think I saw one person playing eldrazi and it was the grim monolith post variation
    It’s based on the councils data which tracks information globally, so it may not necessarily be reflective of regional meta games (US vs EU for example)
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    The transition from bulk to DTB happened after this topic was opened.
    Over the Fall I have occasionally taken a peak at MTG top8 to check the last 2 months of live tournament data. Eldrazi has consistently been in 2nd or 3rd place for overall representation every time I have looked.

Yet there are always people happy to explain that the deck is not actually good because it is too inconsistent and/or the format has "adapted". Threads like this are common on Reddit. I think there those who want very much to believe Eldrazi cannot compete with the more interactive decks in the format; but the facts seem to have different ideas.
    Last edited by Crimhead; 12-04-2017 at 04:32 AM.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The deck was never Bulk. It can run 13 to 16 Sol Lands, build dependent, Spirit Guides, Chalice, Thorn and a clock that disrupts or has protection. The deck is solid. The deck is also EXTREMELY boring.

As a prison lover I would rather play Lands, Stax or Metalworker than Eldrazi because each one of those decks is fun for me to play. Eldrazi is not a simple deck (Though some argue it is) but it's a repetitive one. You have exactly one game plan and you can't do much other that turn beefsticks sideways. That means that while strong it's not for everyone. It's sure as hell not for me and you would think looking at it I would be it's target audience.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I think Dice has it. I didn't see it much a couple months back when I was at my local a lot, and one of the people who had run it had gotten tired of it. He likes slamming T1 blood moons with Big Red, Goblin-Fetcher-Dude Stompy, runs Belcher, and other obnoxious decks; but I think he probably hates that Eldrazi usually can't interact on the stack and plays the same a lot. There's a lot less tinkering you can do to the deck too, because it's card interactions are insular; which is to say that you don't get a lot of choices to play with due to Eldrazi lands and being colorless. I think his deal (Blood Moon guy) is that it's not a real lock. I can attest that Prison players like to run you out of mana and watch your face cringe at your hand [I've fancied some various Loam, Pox, and KotR piles in my day], and nothing feels better than swinging for X while your opponent has no lands.

It's obviously successful, but I assume it's harder to continue playing a deck that doesn't offer High-Skill-Cap Credit-Bux because it doesn't play into the ego. On the stack you can say "Oh, well I wouldn't have lost if I had just BRainstormsd THAT card away instead; obviously my genius would've won the day THEN"

There's your "I just woke up" Psyche 101 for the day from someone in an engineering field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

When it was fresh, Jund DTB was similar. It basically...was. Made DTB extremely fast when it hopped over from Modern and the thread was only like 3 pages long. The decklist was largely set in stone, with 1-2 flex spots (Maelstrom Pulse, 3 or 4 BBE's) and variations being the ratio of AD to Punishing Fire. The deck shuffled up and ran itself, and you won or lost based on the order of what you drew or cascaded into and how your Hymn die rolls landed.

Eldrazi Stompy is a pretty stable deck that doesn't afford a lot of tinkering or have a very complex strategy. Find the latest MTGtop8 result, copy the list, and run it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Thread Information