Thread: Sneak&Show player, just can't beat delver decks and 4c leovold. Any tips?

Sneak&Show player, just can't beat delver decks and 4c leovold. Any tips?

Hello all,

I've been getting good results against all decks (even D&T and Eldrazi) except for these 2. I only beat them like 10% of the times. Specially with delver decks.

I usually win the first game, but the real problem are the post board games, when they board 500 cheap counterspells (flusterstorm, blasts, etc) and surgicals.

My list is equal to this one: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17492&d=308329&f=LE
    Except for the 2 omnisciences: instead I run an extra flusterstorm and a main board pyroclasm.

Is there any silver bullet against these decks? Because I'd gladly put 4 of those in my sideboard. It's that frustrating.

(I've been experimenting with chalice of the void against delver (desperate I know), and it kinda works sometimes, though not always).

Or any other tips would also appreciate.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Sneak&Show player, just can't beat delver decks and 4c leovold. Any tips?

You'll want to ask here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Sneak-and-Show

The thread was hidden on the second page of the Established Decks section.
    You'll get advice from people that actually play the deck and who may not pay attention to the more 'general' sections of the message board.

Ok, thanks!

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Ive been having success with a #freenedleeds inspired transformational sideboard of 4x Kird Ape and 3x Hooting Mandrills. Takes a little finagling of the manabase but it's worth it.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Ive been having success with a #freenedleeds inspired transformational sideboard of 4x Kird Ape and 3x Hooting Mandrills. Takes a little finagling of the manabase but it's worth it.
    Interesting. I had thought of creatures too. What would be the rest of the sideboard? Would you use those creatures against any other decks?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Kap'n Cook is making a joke. Your question is better posed in the thread that Ace/Homebrew linked above. Just to set expectations, keep in mind that every deck in Legacy has bad matchups, and you shouldn't expect to regularly beat your deck's natural predator(s). Discard plus countermagic plus a fast clock is pretty much the recipe to defeat spell-based combo decks. Pyroclasm and Defense Grid are commonly boarded against Delver decks, and Through the Breach is commonly sideboarded as a way to sidestep Surgical Extraction. I've also seen people run Misdirection to some success.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Kap'n Cook is making a joke. Your question is better posed in the thread that Ace/Homebrew linked above. Just to set expectations, keep in mind that every deck in Legacy has bad matchups, and you shouldn't expect to regularly beat your deck's natural predator(s). Discard plus countermagic plus a fast clock is pretty much the recipe to defeat spell-based combo decks. Pyroclasm and Defense Grid are commonly boarded against Delver decks, and Through the Breach is commonly sideboarded as a way to sidestep Surgical Extraction. I've also seen people run Misdirection to some success.
    One thing is a bad matchup, other is a 10% win rate. I have like 60-70% win rate against many other decks, so a bad matchup would be a 30-40% win rate, not 10%.

Anyway, I'm honestly seeking some undiscovered advice, and if your answer will be snobbing your ass out with some "oh look this noob" joke (not referring to you) then all I can say is congratulations on being so superior and knowing everything about Magic.

(And I don't think it's that immature to ask for "silver bullets", as many decks have them, be them fair or unfair. Grafdigger's cage for reanimator, blood moon for eldrazi etc etc.")

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

If you're having a difficult time with those just play Blood Moon and/or Defense Grid. All of their soft counters aren't worth shit if they can't cast them. They play 0-1 basic lands, and Defense Grid invalidates basically their entire counter package.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    If you're having a difficult time with those just play Blood Moon and/or Defense Grid. All of their soft counters aren't worth shit if they can't cast them. They play 0-1 basic lands, and Defense Grid invalidates basically their entire counter package.
    Thanks. I do have 3 defense grid and 2 blood moon in my sideboard, I always board the 3 grids but I haven't been boarding any moons, because sometimes they are too slow. But maybe, combined with the 3 defense grids, might actually be an extra nuisance for the delver/leovold player, and the moons even if played late in game can at least avoid those pesky flusterstorms and pyroblasts. This is an exemple of how maybe it's more of a different combination of the basic tools than some new "eccentric" ones. I'm just here to learn.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Definitely a mistake you've been making: You *absolutely* board in Blood Moon against Delver and ANY Leo deck (except maybe Elves.) Leo decks have terrible mana and it's a one-hit KO unless they have several basics (which they usually don't even have in their deck.)

Grixis Delver is a different question; you may bring in moon though they'll probably have Tempo on board already, can still cast REBs, and they may be fine due to DRS. This is a question for more experienced SneakShow players, but my guess is leave it out. That said, if it lands on T1/T2 you may have them locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information