Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeves

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Re: Sleeves

I totally forgot to post my findings on the SCG Matte Sleeves.

I ran them at a GP with no issue. They are very uniform and pretty durable, I haven’t split any yet. They are slightly wider than the Dragon Shield Mattes so they are easier to double sleeve.
    The uniformity is just in the one pack though, I haven’t bought multiple packs yet to see if they vary from pack to pack size wise.

They do dull your foils a lot because of the matte finish on the front. But that doesn’t bother me much, and I mostly run foils, but that might be an issue for some.

I’d say they are slightly lower quality from the DS Matte ones, however the cost difference is insane, especially if you can get them on sale. They are way way cheaper, and the quality is fairly close.

I ordered some Red ones and Blue ones. The Red ones are semi transparent on the back which I don’t like (similar to the lighter color Ultra Pros and DS Mattes’s). which is an issue for my super beat up duals and such.
    The Blue ones don’t have this problem though, they are completely opaque.

I’ll give these a few more weeks of testing but I’m pretty sure I’m going to resleeve my cube in these, even though all the foils will look a little diminished, the cost difference will save me hundreds of dollars, compared to DS or KMC.

I’m pleasantly surprised.

I am using Ultra Pro Matte black, even though I hate the hologram and the inconsistency. Over the years, I had some that split very often and some that began to bend or crease and about 5 different sizes - minor differences but annoying. Then again, some were and still are really good. I just started double sleeving and wanted to get rid of all the ultra pro's once and for all and checked the videos from the professor, read reviews and so on. It seems that most people prefer:
    - KMC hyper mats (some say they recently got worse)
    - Dragon shields matte
    - Ultra Pro Eclipse

However, I am using the Ultimate Guard XenoSkin Twin Flip N Tray Deckboxes for my commander decks and their side winder for other decks and I totally love them. Unfortunately, double sleeved decks sleeved in some of the ones above are said to not fit these boxes. I haven't tried it myself but people stated it would be impossible to squeeze the decks in the trays. My decks fit exactly with no space left when using the Ultra Pro Matted so I decided to stick to them for now and took some painful hours to sort them by size. I just need my decks to fit. So if size is a factor for you, keep in mind that some sleeves are incredibly thick.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by nupert View Post
    I am using Ultra Pro Matte black, even though I hate the hologram and the inconsistency. Over the years, I had some that split very often and some that began to bend or crease and about 5 different sizes - minor differences but annoying. Then again, some were and still are really good. I just started double sleeving and wanted to get rid of all the ultra pro's once and for all and checked the videos from the professor, read reviews and so on. It seems that most people prefer:
    - KMC hyper mats (some say they recently got worse)
    - Dragon shields matte
    - Ultra Pro Eclipse

However, I am using the Ultimate Guard XenoSkin Twin Flip N Tray Deckboxes for my commander decks and their side winder for other decks and I totally love them. Unfortunately, double sleeved decks sleeved in some of the ones above are said to not fit these boxes. I haven't tried it myself but people stated it would be impossible to squeeze the decks in the trays. My decks fit exactly with no space left when using the Ultra Pro Matted so I decided to stick to them for now and took some painful hours to sort them by size. I just need my decks to fit. So if size is a factor for you, keep in mind that some sleeves are incredibly thick.
    I use Dragon Shield Mattes with KMC perfects and all my decks fit in Ultimate Guard Sidewinders (both the 75+ and 100+).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I use Dragon Shield Mattes with KMC perfects and all my decks fit in Ultimate Guard Sidewinders (both the 75+ and 100+).
    Thanks for the info! So I might try the dragon shields. Do you know if they also fit the ones with trays like the Flip N Tray 200+? My decks sit really tight in those. The 75+ sidewinders are actually 80+ so there is some room left. Or has anybody tried the Eclipses in those trays?

Quote Originally Posted by nupert View Post
    Thanks for the info! So I might try the dragon shields. Do you know if they also fit the ones with trays like the Flip N Tray 200+? My decks sit really tight in those. The 75+ sidewinders are actually 80+ so there is some room left. Or has anybody tried the Eclipses in those trays?
    I got a deck double sleeved in a 75+ sidewinder with no problem. I got a 100+ for my 75 plus 20 double sleeved tokens and still got some space left.

Thread Information