Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Depths

Re: Bob Depths

Can you name 10 cards or so that you don't like seeing your opponent playing?

Weigh both how often you face them and how badly it affects you.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011
    Sheffield

Petal seams ill suited, it would require a further cut but +2 lands and 3 Mox Diamond gives you additional utility lands and reusable ramp. Add a Loam and those additional lands start to really work for you.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would love to add Mox Diamonds, but I don't have access to them. I really like that plan though. If I can trade/buy into them I definitely will move in that direction.

Petal would actually go really well with Wasteland, but I don't think the tempo can be maintained. I just figured petal gets me faster lilianas, and I'm headed for an empty hand anyways. Petal lets me use Traverse the Ulvenwald, which fetches combo pieces nicely.

I think I'll cut to 3 wastelands, make some adjustments and work 2-3 petals in. Will update after testing.

Another option is to just play more mana dorks, like birds. Not the worst idea, but it has the same problem as petal, it's really only good early.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

After playing with this deck for a while, I've decided Wasteland just doesn't belong in the deck. I could still play a 1-of to get with Crop Rotation, but that seems bad when I get to my second point: Pithing Needle needs to go in. I know that I'm trying to make a lean Turbo Depths deck that can go long, but Pithing Needle seems just really good. It keeps my curve low and lets me play my utility lands (urborg, stage, karakas, maze) without fear of losing tempo to the delver decks. Tarmogoyf sideboard looks a little silly if they bring in grave hate for PFire. I might need to play something different like Bloodbraid Elf or Scavenging Ooze to attack from a different angle when transforming off the Depths combo post-board

Now for the craziness: I've been testing a red splash for Grove/Fires, and it seems really good. It shores up the fair matchups really well in the maindeck by having recurring removal while allowing for some great sideboard cards like Pyroblast. This is what I'm tasting ATM:

4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Dark Confidant

3x Thoughtseize
    3x Cabal Therapy
    3x Punishing Fire
    4x Crop Rotation
    2x Sylvan Library
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Abrupt Decay
    1x Life from the Loam
    2x Kolaghan's Command
    2x Fatal Push

4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Wooded Foothills
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Bayou
    1x Blooming Marsh
    1x Blood Crypt
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    2x Swamp
    1x Forest
    1x Ghost Quarter
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Thespian's Stage

Sideboard
    4x Tarmogoyf
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Karakas
    1x Bojuak Bog
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Choke
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Golgari Charm
    1x Toxic Deluge

Mana-base is ok, not spectacular. I'm trying to splash red only for a few cards, not trying to cram in the color like Jund. This is kind of like Jund meshed with a stripped down RG lands deck. Testing has been good, it can definitely grind out games. I've tested against D&T and Grixis Delver so far. I may want Hymn to Tourach instead of Liliana, honestly. It lowers my curve slightly.

The other option I have (untested) is a white splash. I have the lands (Savannah, Scrubland), the spells that I would want would be Swords to Plowshares, Lingering Souls, Vindicate, Gaddock Teeg, Knight of the Reliquary (but that gets me too close to Maverick/agro loam without the Chalice or GSZ, which seems bad.) I like the red splash better, just for PFire and KCommand. They both provide card advantage and reach.

Hoping to get some feedback!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I played the straight Bg version with Witness/Unearth, and I went 2-1-1. Beat new miracles and burn. Drew against Grixis Delver, then lost to Grixis Delver. I think PFire and Kcommand would have done a lot of work in the delver matchups, but I'm also convinced that Wasteland isn't useless. I will likely still keep 2 in the deck, just making sure I keep the mana stable.
    Brainstorm Realist

A similar version made Top 8 of MKM Europe, but no Bobs.

http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/cov...t-2018-legacy/
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Cool list. I'm scratching my head at Cabal Coffers and Emrakul in the board. Does he really get that much mana? I see he's trying to have a long game plan. He's also doing Green Sun's Zenith and Excavator. Not bad tech, I just really like the confidant plan.

I'm not sold on PFire just yet, but still testing. I did find the Witness/Unearth combo very good, but weak to deathrite. So is Pfire, but my primary target for PFire is Drs anyways.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Cool list. I'm scratching my head at Cabal Coffers and Emrakul in the board. Does he really get that much mana?
    This is sideboard tech that I think DNSolver (?) explored during the heyday of Miracles as an uncounterable, difficult to interact wincon in drawn out games. Combine with Eye of Ugin, Emrakul can easily be searched out and "only" costs 13. If you have an Urborg out the Eye adds another mana and Cabal Coffers adds quite a bit, especially if you Stage the Coffers. This means you could cast Emrakul for as little as Eye of Ugin (3 mana) + Urborg (1 mana) + 3x other lands (3 mana) + 2x Cabal Coffers (10 mana net), giving you 17 mana with 7 lands... assuming I did the math right.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

When you add punishing fires to the deck you are then just playing a worse version of combo lands. I have a midrange version of this deck in my sig. it is posted in the primer. My list doesnt have bob but you could easily cut a few cards for him.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I hear you there, I can see that argument for a worse version of combo lands. I am however having a fun time playing this deck. Maybe its garbage, but I've really liked the KCommand and Pfires, and I've added lightning bolt to the main over Fatal Push, which has provided reach.

This is the list I've been testing. I gave up on Tarmogoyf when I added PFires, because grave hate will likely come in to deal with PFire...so where does that leave Goyf? Sad, that's where. If I go back to straight Bg, then I'll likely go with Tarmogoyf in the sideboard and the red slots turn into some mix of Hymn to Tourach/Maelstrom Pulse/Abrupt Decay/Fatal Push/Go for the Throat.

4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Dark Confidant

3x Thoughtseize
    3x Cabal Therapy
    4x Crop Rotation
    2x Lightning Bolt
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Abrupt Decay
    3x Punishing Fire
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Terminate
    2x Kolaghan's Command
    2x Liliana of the Veil

4x Urborg
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Wooded Foothills
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Bayou
    1x Blood Crypt
    2x Blooming Marsh
    1x Forest
    1x Swamp
    1x Mountain

sideboard
    2x Surgical Extraction
    3x Pyroblast
    1x Duress
    1x Golgari Charm
    1x Toxic Deluge
    1x Maelstrom Pulse
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Karakas
    1x Diabolic Edict
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Life from the Loam
    1x Ghost Quarter
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    When you add punishing fires to the deck you are then just playing a worse version of combo lands. I have a midrange version of this deck in my sig. it is posted in the primer. My list doesnt have bob but you could easily cut a few cards for him.
    I couldn't find the list. The link just takes me to the Turbo Depths thread.

Edit: is it your list in the primer? If so, I could sub in bobs for the chalices.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Still working on this, but I think I've found a list that works. The hardest part has been the mana base, I've been slowly massaging it to make it work.

4x DRS
    4x Bob
    4x Hexmage
    3x Thoughtseize
    3x Therapy
    2x Bolt
    4x Crop Rotation
    2x Abrupt Decay
    3x Punishing Fire
    1x Terminate
    2x Sylvan Library
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    2x Kolaghan's Command
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Wooded Foothills
    1x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Bayou
    1x Blooming Marsh
    1x Blood Crypt
    3x Urborg
    2x Swamp
    1x Forest
    1x Mountain
    2x Wasteland
    1x Depths
    1x Stage

Sideboard
    2x Pyroblast
    1x Maelstrom Pulse
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Life from the Loam
    1x Diabolic Edict
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Karakas
    2x Bloodbraid Elf
    2x Toxic Deluge
    2x Hymn to Tourach
    Brainstorm Realist

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I couldn't find the list. The link just takes me to the Turbo Depths thread.

Edit: is it your list in the primer? If so, I could sub in bobs for the chalices.
    Yes it is my list in the primer.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Thanks.

I played the red-splashed list last Friday, went 2-2 (one was a bye, lol.) I beat Chalice/Bomberman brew w/Dark Confidant and Monestery Mentor, lost to Enchantress (I know right?), lost to Sneak and Show. Sneak and Show seems particularly hard to beat without full sets of Depths/Stage. I really liked Bloodbraid Elf out of the board, going to maindeck it and move more towards a traditional Punishing Jund build with Crop Rotation/Hexmage instead of Tarmogoyf/other utility slots. Like any other BGx midrange deck I felt I had a good chance against most decks, but some never a great matchup. Good stuff has always had this problem. *shrug* Deck is a blast to play, for sure. I like that it provides a way for Jund to have a chance against combo (historically bad matchup, they board heavily for it.)
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm going to go back to the GitProbe/Therapy plan, straight B/G, and just maximize hand disruption and cheap removal. I had better performance that way with Depths as an actual plan. The jund route is better done as...just jund, lol. Punishing Fire isn't really necessary as long as I have at least 3x Abrupt Decay in the main. The mana was better, it was more streamlined, and I'll pursue it from there.
    Brainstorm Realist

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I'm going to go back to the GitProbe/Therapy plan, straight B/G, and just maximize hand disruption and cheap removal. I had better performance that way with Depths as an actual plan. The jund route is better done as...just jund, lol. Punishing Fire isn't really necessary as long as I have at least 3x Abrupt Decay in the main. The mana was better, it was more streamlined, and I'll pursue it from there.
    Before Eli won with turbo depths, he had several versions that crushed our local meta. Two of them had confidants in the 75. IIRC, none of them had 4 in the maindeck.

If I were to play bob-depths, I would build around 3 creatures: just DRS, Bob, and Hex. DRS and Confidant are “slower” than the turbo variant but give you consistency in exchange. Cards like Liliana, K command, pfires, and goyf are all fun but not ideal. If there is another shell to play with (ie; not BG), it’s in Junk colors for KotR (the Junk-depths deck of yesteryear). Green gives you land tutoring while black is for discard and the creature base. To round out the deck you need some proactive protection in the form of Waste, Ghost Q, Decay, and Needle. Steppe, Living Wish, or Bojuka Bog are also important. Ramunap/Loam/Safekeeper probably go in the 75 in some capacity. I like the list on the first page however, I’d try to push Gitaxian Probe + Therapy + Needle for synergy.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Good thoughts. I was getting distracted, lol. I definitely want to test this out more.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

This is where I'm starting from now that I can dedicate some time to it.

4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Cabal Therapy
    3x Pithing Needle
    3x Thoughtseize
    4x Crop Rotation
    3x Abrupt Decay
    1x Sylvan Library
    2x Hymn to Tourach
    1x Maelstrom Pulse

4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Windswept Heath
    1x Marsh Flats
    1x Bayou
    2x Blooming Marsh
    3x Swamp
    2x Forest
    3x Urborg
    1x Depths
    1x Stage
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Maze of Ith

Sideboard
    1x Karakas
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Life from the Loam
    1x Sylvan Library
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    1x Go for the Throat
    2x Diabolic Edict
    2x Toxic Deluge
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Choke

Sideboard is in flux, I don't think I want Tarmogoyf anymore, but I do want Liliana OTV in the board for grindier matchups. Go for the Throat is for stuff like Gurmag Angler and anything out of Decay range. Maindeck Maze/Pulse might be enough for single threats like that but I don't know for sure until I test.
    Brainstorm Realist

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Cool thread, love bob. I've been playing depths since early 2014, I started down this path in the beginning phases based off dark times in vintage. Here's a list of mine from 2015, this deck was a tank. Obviously I would update in a lot of ways but foundation is there. I've been thinking of going back to something like this. Got 25th at legacy champs at ew in November with updated turbo list so may stick with that, but this has a strong grind if tweaked right. I would def be playing collective brutality in an updated list.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=87633
    Tusk Up

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I have been doing well in test games, the flex spots being hymn and pulse. Not sure if there are better options. I definitely want a 2nd Depths, but other than that the deck is tight (in a good way.) Mana is perfect, I give up speed without petal/guide but I gain a lot more resiliency with drs/bob.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information