Thread: MUD in modern

MUD in modern

MUD is a deck i like so much in legacy, but it isnt in my reach. Then i start to think some way to play same line in modern and surprise the opponent. We still have access at good pieces play both Legacy and Modern. We dont have acess to the Sol Lands, then the fast way to make mana in modern is transform it in Urza land'sand, we cant use Wastelands, then we can use the Tectonic Edge Encroaching Wastes and Ghost Quarter's package.

Artifact (20)

1x Batterskull
    4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    2x Everflowing Chalice
    4x Expedition Map
    1x Lightning Greaves
    4x Mind Stone
    1x Spine of Ish Sah
    2x Trading Post

Planeswalker (2)

2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Creature (16)

1x Blightsteel Colossus
    4x Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4x Lodestone Golem
    1x Myr Battlesphere
    2x Sundering Titan
    2x Walking Ballista
    2x Wurmcoil Engine

Land (23)

1x Buried Ruin
    4x Encroaching Wastes
    2x Ghost Quarter
    4x Tectonic Edge
    4x Urza's Mine
    4x Urza's Power Plant
    4x Urza's Tower

Sideboard (15)

3x Dismember
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Silent Arbiter
    1x Sorcerous Spyglass
    2x Spellskite
    1x Witchbane Orb

GAME PLAN

Here we have some angle of attack/interactions in deck:

Kuldotha Forgemaster + Lightning Greaves combo can win on T3 if we assemble tron and have some 0 CMC artifact to cast it in this turn to serve as food to forgemaster: cast Kuldotha, Greaves + some 0 artifact, sacrifice all minus Greaves get Blightsteel Colossus from deck equip and beat. (depends on the match, Chalice of the void as 1 is very importante to not got a Path of exile on Colossus.

Trading Post + Spine of ish Sah can start devastate Lands or Creatures of a slow decks. Spine give us some advance in mirror against tron, especially if we get tron on T3 and cast Spine.

Attack the manabase. ALL MANA. This give us more effective use of the ramp pieces (Mind Stone + Everflowing Chalice) and consequently make Lodestone Golem more powerful.

CARD CHOISES

X drop

Chalice of the Void: Not much to say. Chalice can protect us from many forms. Many decks on modern tend to play in one same curve. Chalice can "kill" half of some deck, giving us time. [3~4]
    Walking Ballista: Can grow every turn, can enter big, can kill small creatures and we can make much mana. Dont have why to no put ballista in list. [1~2]

1 drop

Expedition Map: The must for all Tron bases. Can get too our Land Destruction lands. [4]

2 drop

Lightning Greaves: Enables win in a turn with Blightsteel Colossus. Protect our creatures and give haste, so powerful. [1~2]
    Mind Stone: Our ramp redundance for not depend 100% on tron on-line to make plays. [4]

Alternative

Ichor Wellspring: Its just a draw and food for Kuldotha Forgemaster and sinergie well with Trading Post. [3~4]

3 drop

Crucible of Worlds: Important part in the LD package and against LD. [1]

Alternative

Filigree Familiar: Life and card advantage. its a good creature to give us time. [3~4]

4 drop

Lodestone Golem: Tax and beater piece. Each attack hurts. [4]
    Trading Post: Our Swiss Army Knife. Can gain life, trade 1 life for an chumpblock, recovery our creatures (can make infinites Wurmcoil Engine sacing one then an token. Best sinergie with Spine of Ish Sah. [1~2]

5 drop

Batterskull: Good against remove, nightmare of aggros/burn. [1]
    Kuldotha Forgemaster: The card give a name to deck in legacy. Have a good power in modern too, with Lightning Greaves can active in same turn she enter, it can do some tricks seeking some response at instant speed. Double draw with Ichor Wellspring, return Spine of Ish Sah to hand, and a good body. [4]

6 drop

Wurmcoil Engine: We all know the power of the machine. Give all the time we need for the bigger or can win alone sometimes. [3]

Alternative

Scuttling Doom Engine: A good beater, cant be chumpblocked and have a good sinergie with Trading Post, can do damage outside combat ou double damage (attack and sac) [1~2]
    Steel Hellkite: Flier beater with an EE on body, seens good. [1]

7 drop

Spine of Ish Sah: The "resolve anything" piece. Rly shine on mirror, can destroy Planeswalker we can beat, can destroy lands and slow opponent, its rly good. [1]
    All is dust: Sometime we just need to reset the table. [1~2]

Alternative

Platinum Angel: An not answered angel with Lightning Greaves can just autowin the game. [1]

8 drop

Sundering Titan: Terror colored decks. Can support one strategy of the deck (LD). [1~2]
    Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Ugin can swipe the table, can control small creatures, can win the game. [2~3]

12 drop

Blightsteel Colossus: Sometimes 1 attack is all we need. [1]

Dec 2004
    Middletown Ct

Re: MUD in modern

Eldrazi Tron is a tier 1 modern deck. What advantage does this deck offer?
    EX: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...n-26966#online
    High score..what does that mean? Did I break the game?

Quote Originally Posted by No_Life_No_Future View Post
    Eldrazi Tron is a tier 1 modern deck. What advantage does this deck offer?
    EX: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...n-26966#online
    I play against it sometimes (my friend have an Eldratron), against others trons, we have the land destruction package ( 4x Encroaching Wastes, 2x Ghost Quarter, 4x Tectonic Edge, 1x Spine of ish Sah - and repeatable with Trading Post) + Lodestone Golem to slowdown their tron mana and get time, with the ramps ( Mind Stone, Everflowing Chalice ) the 1 less land used to destoy their tron mana doesnt affect our game. We have big bombs to deal with many Eldrazis too.

This is my first view on this match.

Kuldotha Forgemaster can get any piece we need ate the time we need, give us more responsive plays around it.

We can work with grave too with Trading Post (for ex.: Infinity Wurmcoil, sac a wurm, create tokens, sac a token get a new Wurmcoil and a token, escape from exiles target too) and Buried Ruin (Mindslaver option to combo out). Recicle pieces and get it back later.

We have many interactions between almost all pieces.

-- EDIT: BLOOD MOON HURT LESS --

I have good matchs against many moderns tiers like RG Tron, affinity is not bad at all, Humans, jeskai control, skred, Burn
    Last edited by smtkiller; 12-14-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I too have tried on many occasions to port MUD into Modern. The issue I always found was that the deck existed in this sort of limbo between Tron and Affinity. If you keep the deck colorless, it lends itself toward becoming a Tron variant. But if that's what you're doing, I think that Eldrazi Temple, as Modern's only Sol Land, is just too powerful to omit. So, I would essentially end up on Eldrazi Tron, which didn't leave room for Forgemaster and the fun pieces that we think of as being part of MUD. I had also tried versions that were Blue or Blue/Black to incorporate Grand Architect and/or Heartless Summoning into the mix, but those builds always ended up being too slow or too high variance, particularly because I was trying too hard to leverage Lodestone Golem, which really restricts your card choices.

With all that, I just don't think the pieces are there currently for an optimal build of Modern MUD, but I can almost guarantee that it'll get there eventually. Specifically, I think the deck needs one or two meaningful turn one plays, which is hard if you're trying to incorporate Chalice of the Void. With that, if the meta shifts toward being very heavily skewed toward Storm, a deck packing Lodestone Golem, Phyrexian Metamorph, and possibly Thorn of Amethyst could really do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    I too have tried on many occasions to port MUD into Modern. The issue I always found was that the deck existed in this sort of limbo between Tron and Affinity. If you keep the deck colorless, it lends itself toward becoming a Tron variant. But if that's what you're doing, I think that Eldrazi Temple, as Modern's only Sol Land, is just too powerful to omit. So, I would essentially end up on Eldrazi Tron, which didn't leave room for Forgemaster and the fun pieces that we think of as being part of MUD. I had also tried versions that were Blue or Blue/Black to incorporate Grand Architect and/or Heartless Summoning into the mix, but those builds always ended up being too slow or too high variance, particularly because I was trying too hard to leverage Lodestone Golem, which really restricts your card choices.

With all that, I just don't think the pieces are there currently for an optimal build of Modern MUD, but I can almost guarantee that it'll get there eventually. Specifically, I think the deck needs one or two meaningful turn one plays, which is hard if you're trying to incorporate Chalice of the Void. With that, if the meta shifts toward being very heavily skewed toward Storm, a deck packing Lodestone Golem, Phyrexian Metamorph, and possibly Thorn of Amethyst could really do some damage.
    I understand Eldratron has been a top tier and i cant say my list is best of best the Eldrazis, and it is for this reason i share this to get some tips. I choose this for the reason: I just dont like eldrazis so much have all this cards and wanted to risk this. Use the surprise factor.

And an variant not necessary a bad deck. I've been having good matchs against most the tiers deck, especially against Valakut, a dominate of the local meta. We have good attacks plan, the LD package make a good job, the tax of Lodestone Golem, we just have an diferente game plan. With a good hand, Blightsteel Colossus is hitting on T3, wich is very good. We have a way to save time

Know issues: I have some difficult against fast aggro decks and need to find some way to spot remove. Spatial Contortion maybe ?!

PS: Fun you have cited Heartless Summoning, its my other deck, and make and 3-1 last FNM, it is in a good way.

Thread Information