Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

1-2 today. Lost a close one to deaths shadow. I should've brought in more than 1 bridge. He found a ratchet bomb to kill chalice and I died to angler. Lost to miracles. I drew the right lock pieces, but couldn't follow up with any real pressure. He eventually found lands and judgment to blow past thorns and hit my chalice while I drew basically no creatures. Karn would've been a really nice one to draw. Beat goblins because turn 2 lodestone game 1 against his one Land vial hand, and turn 1 and 2 Etched Champions followed by 2 overseer on turn 3. Deck felt alright just mediocre draws and bad boarding. I can't remember resolving a single Ravager which doesn't bode well
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoclasm View Post
    @Johanovich
    If I add second Karn instead of Chief, what would you add to the sideboard?
    I personally think that playing less than 2 Karn in main is a mistake. =)

Also, what do you think about TKS in Main and Choke in side in this list?

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21030&d=339608&f=LE
    Not a fan of TKS or that list in particular. I do like the idea of choke, but I feel it might be hard to cast it consistently with the limited amount of green sources.
    I currently like spellskite a bit more again. Delver decks are on the rise and misdirecting bolts and other removal seems decent to protect your more valuable pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Albarkhane View Post
    @Johanovich

I tested the deck today against a stoneblade (my 75 are similar to yours but with 3 etched champion and no chief). Each games were quite close and balanced but in the end i loose ... I am quite new to the deck so i most probably played it bad. However i find it difficult to deal at the same time jace, tnn and battleskull/jitte. I tried several side in/out but i am not really sure about them. What would you suggest for boarding and do you have any hint about that matchup ?
    If you're willing to try it I would recommend a singleton metamorph maindeck. If there is one matchup where it truly shines it's against blade decks.

My SB-plan against blade looks more or less like this, but might change slightly depending on the configuration of the blade deck:

-2 hangarback
    -1 revoker
    -4 thorn

+3 karn
    +2 ratchet bomb
    +2 spyglass

Quote Originally Posted by Wordslinger View Post
    How is the grixis control matchup normally handled? Ive tried seemingly everything, from winter orb/port to even just splashing thalia, i cant make heads or tails of that matchup. I just get grinded out by snapcasters and kholigans commands.
    Your main threaths against grixis specifically are thorn, karn, hangarback and etched champion. Offcourse chalice, ravager, steel overseer and ballista are also good cards, but they are more general threats. The aforementioned cards work especially well against grixis because they greatly hamper their game plan of mana efficiency and grinding out with efficient removal and 2-for-1s.

Out of all these karn is priority nr 1, if you resolve him early in the game you should nearly always win. Don't bother making constructs early on, the carddraw is most important as it will supply a stream of new threaths and the +1 will keep him safe from bolts and surprise snapcasters. Only make tokens when you want to pressure out a win in the next few turns.

Nov 2017
    France

@Johanovich
    Thank you, i will try that. I like the metamorth idea.

@all
    I was at a 69 people tournament this week-and finished at 4-3 with the deck. Not an amazing result but it was my first tournament with it. I met (in no special order) :
    - casual vampire : lots of fly/lifelink/deathtouch creatures but we are solid enough.
    - mono B dark depth reanimator : a bit tricky but i never really felt in danger.
    - instant reanimator : favorable matchup but we need to have a really strong lock to prevent them to come back for the win.
    - burn : chalice shines there.
    - antiquities war : i lost 1st game to surprise (i did not know the deck) and mull to 4 the 2nd game, so i can't say much about the matchup, looks a difficult one.
    - grixis control : grindy matchup, lost to a timely pithing needle on karn.
    - sneak & show : quite favorable matchup.

More generally :
    - usually, i am not very fond of city of traitors but in this particular deck it is really good. At the end of the day, i rather have city than ancient tomb. Playing one on turn 1 for chalice or whatever is really not a problem.
    - metalcraft can be tricky to get sometimes. In some games there is one moment when we are in a very fragile situation and good players will try to make us loose it then.
    - i did mulligan agressively a few times and i was not disapointed. However, i had to mulligan quite a lot for mana. I did not play enough games yet to have statistically relevant results there.
    - i have been playing shop in vintage for years so i am quite used to those maths, however sometimes it can get tricky and you better double check the battlefield and all interactions so not to miss the kill.

It is a fun deck to play and i think i will give it more tries. :)

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Do you think the new proliferate land could be interesting for this deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Do you think the new proliferate land could be interesting for this deck?
    I Think it is. But for testing, i will change the decklist a bit. I think when the new set becomes legal, grixis control will get better (Liliana`s Triumph and angrath`s rampage) and miracles will decrease in popularity. So my plan is to play hangarback walker once again because it is very good against grixis and has great synergy with Karn`s Bastion

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

I took the above list to MCM Ghent, ended 4-3 and then dropped. It was nice to play the deck, made some mistakes during my games but so did my opponents. I was surprised many opponents need to read cards like Arcbound Ravager or Karn, Scion of Urza

I won against Death & Taxes (2-0), Lands (2-0), Eldrazi aggro (2-0) and Jund (2-0), lost to Eldrazi & Taxes (1-2), Elves (1-2) and Tezzeret (0-2). Tezzeret was really difficult to play against since they play Ensnaring Bridge. The other games were very close, die roll is very important here, especially against Elves.

Glad to see someone took the robots to top 8!

Quote Originally Posted by Johanovich View Post
    My SB-plan against blade looks more or less like this, but might change slightly depending on the configuration of the blade deck:

-2 hangarback
    -1 revoker
    -4 thorn

+3 karn
    +2 ratchet bomb
    +2 spyglass
    What's your sideboard plan against Miracles? I'm not sure if it's good to side out Thorn of Amethyst against them.

This is the decklist that made top 8 at MKM Ghent. I want to try a little different one:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    2 Lodestone Golem
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Mox Opal
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Throne of the High City
    2 Forest
    2 Etched Champion

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Spellskite
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Faerie Macabre
    3 Choke

These are the motivations behind my choices:
    - I prefer Krosan Grip because it can destroy Counterbalance more easily than Seal of Primordium and you don't fear a counter if you want to get rid of Back to Basics;
    - I choose Faerie Macabre over Leyline of the Void because I need space, so I cut the graveyard hate from 4 to 3;
    - I want to play 3 Choke because this deck must push the possibilty to play it on turn 1 or 2 and it desperately needs to improve the Miracles match-up.
    As for now, I side out Thorn of Amethyst against Miracles, because the cards I have in the sideboard are better, but I'm not sure of this choice. I'm here for your comments too.
    Last edited by Alex_UNLIMITED; 04-15-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post
    What's your sideboard plan against Miracles? I'm not sure if it's good to side out Thorn of Amethyst against them.

This is the decklist that made top 8 at MKM Ghent. I want to try a little different one:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    2 Lodestone Golem
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Mox Opal
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Forest
    2 Etched Champion

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Spellskite
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Faerie Macabre
    3 Choke

- I prefer Krosan Grip because it can destroy Counterbalance more easily than Seal of Primordium and you don't fear a counter if you want to get rid of Back to Basics;
    - I choose Faerie Macabre over Leyline of the Void because I need space, so I cut the graveyard hate from 4 to 3;
    - I want to play 3 Choke because this deck must push the possibilty to play it on turn 1 or 2 and it desperately needs to improve the Miracles match-up.
    As for now, I side out Thorn of Amethyst against Miracles, because the cards I have in the sideboard are better, but I'm not sure of this choice. I'm here for your comments too.
    Why 2 Forest ? I'd understand the first, because of trophy/ghost quarter, but the second should be Tree of Tales if you'd ask me. The added bonus of an extra artifact is useful so many times if you compare it to the possibility that Back to Basics plays a role in this choice. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Why 2 Forest ? I'd understand the first, because of trophy/ghost quarter, but the second should be Tree of Tales if you'd ask me. The added bonus of an extra artifact is useful so many times if you compare it to the possibility that Back to Basics plays a role in this choice. Anyway just my 2 cents.
    I thought to play two basic lands because I saw the decklist that made top 16 at Grand Prix Shizuoka, that played 2 Wastes. Tree of Tales doesn't help against Null Rod or Back to Basics and suffers Wasteland too. I can play a Ghost Quarter instead of a Forest, like the last MKM decklist, but it's still nonbasic and I must lose another land to get a Forest.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    2 Lodestone Golem
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Mox Opal
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Forest
    2 Etched Champion

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Spellskite
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Faerie Macabre
    3 Choke

It's quite difficult to compare sideboarding strategies when the lists are so different. Without the splash for green the configuration and choices change a lot.

I generally leave thorns in as they really hamper their development, but with choke and grip from the sideboard they become a bigger burden for yourself as well (same goes for lodestone). Judging from your sideboard you're bringing in 6 to 8 cards (depending on whether you bring in spellskite or not). I also really think more karns is a must in this matchup as he is by far the most difficult thing for them to deal with and the pressure and card advantage he provides is key.

Here's the decklist that hit the 9th place at GP Niagara falls.
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Tree of Tales
    4 Wasteland
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    2 Etched Champion
    1 Hangarback Walker
    2 Lodestone Golem
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Choke
    1 Hangarback Walker
    1 Karakas
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Lodestone Golem
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Seal of Primordium
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

I want to contact Jamie Archdekin, who made this results, to ask him his sideboarding. I think that Krosan Grip is better that Seal of Primordium, even to fight Counterbalance, but maybe playing an anti-hate card with lesser mana is a choice to not side out Thorn of Amethyst.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Seems sweet. Also you can plop it down against Miracles early and just play your game normally without worrying about holding up Mana for B2B
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Seems sweet. Also you can plop it down against Miracles early and just play your game normally without worrying about holding up Mana for B2B
    That's true, but Miracles can destroy it before playing Back to Basics or Counterbalance. I know that's better to keep a Disenchant for Chalice of the Void or Thorn of Amethyst, but Back to Basics is gg.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

That's true, but Miracles can destroy it before playing Back to Basics or Counterbalance. I know that's better to keep a Disenchant for Chalice of the Void or Thorn of Amethyst, but Back to Basics is gg.
    I mean yeah they can disenchant it, but like whatever. I think it's worth getting to just play your game plan. Also it gets to come down before a CB and dare them to play it. And it doesn't cost 4 or 5 with Thorns and such out since you get to play it theoretically before the thorns.

Here is my current List (its significantly different from the lists here but here it is):

Legacy Affinity:

4 Ornithopter
    4 Memnite
    2 Hope of Giraphar
    4 Lodestone Golem

4 Arcbound Ravanger
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Cranial Plating

4 Steel Overseer
    4 Master of Etherium

4 Springleaf Drum
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Seat of Synod
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    2 Great Furance

Sideboard
    3 Tormad's Crypt
    1 Repeal

1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Giraphur Aether Grid
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Dismember

1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm

1 WhipFlare
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Pyroblast

Summary:

I'm on a much more aggressive version compared to the lists here. I mostly used the modern affinity list as a template and made tweeks.

- I generally mulligan any hand that doesn't have one of my 12 sources of fast mana. (Some rare hands on the play are keepable if they have a decent curve)
    - The deck is designed to kill on turn 3 or put a lock creature in the form of revoker/ Lodestone to buy 1-2 turns for a kill on second turn
    - Redundant threat density with revokers/ Lodestone so fair decks are forced to use their removal on non-optimal creatures.
    - Sideboard is close to modern affinity template. (Sword of Feast and Famine is for back to basic/ combo decks. Its really not that good but its a card I like)
    - Deck has 10 sources of red mana. Its not as reliable. If I'm board in red sideboard cards, its generally when I'm on the draw or if they're really good
    - Repeal is for chalice of the void on 0, bounce it, draw a card. Then play 0 mana creatures. If they don't have, point it at your own 0 mana thing to cycle.

I really think I should be playing Etched Champions or Inkmoth nexus but I just haven't made the swap yet and I'm not sure what to cut.

I shyed a bit away from Etched Champion as I would like a reliant threat thats good agains't miracle. I don't know

Interesting note is this list actually has an okay show and tell matchup. Mostly because of all aggressive the deck is and how the creatures can frequently alpha strike past what they show and tell, revoker their sneak attack or lodestone in against omissions.

Suggestions or comments? (i have played this list for a while now so its been tested and its been performing decently)
    Last edited by AlanYuan; 05-02-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Gonna keep my two posts separate:

Has anyone tested Ankh of Mishra or the more known Winter Orb in their sideboards before?

Even though I play drum and opal, I still shyed away from Winter orb as it can still hurt my worst draws. I haven't tested it much.

I thought alot about Ankh of Mishra, especially against Grixis, Lands or Miracles (with their back to basics build) and it can deal 4 damage per fetch land and can be devastating.

@alanyuan: Your deck belongs in another Thread, because Steel Stompy is designed to abuse sol lands in combination with CotV and walking ballista and your deck has none of these cards.

Your deck is an Aggro deck and men of steel, as i call my deck, is a prison deck with a fast clock

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    @alanyuan: Your deck belongs in another Thread, because Steel Stompy is designed to abuse sol lands in combination with CotV and walking ballista and your deck has none of these cards.

Your deck is an Aggro deck and men of steel, as i call my deck, is a prison deck with a fast clock
    Yah no Ballista or CoTV. It does share everything else.

If I could ask, how are people finding Etched Champion in this deck main/board?

Which matchups have you liked champion?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i think ballista and/or hangarback are warranted with master of etherium. you can drop them for 0 mana and then go crazy with overseer + ravager.
    -rob

Thread Information