Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

I'm intrigued by Chief of the foundry. Trying it out this week at my LGS.

@Man of Steel: I watched back the video/interview about your sideboarding plan to refresh my memory about some of the matchups. Have you updated your sideboard plan with your new list? If so, mind about sharing it?

I am sorry, that walking trough all the sideboard plans is to complicated to write, but there will be another video in the near future

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Caleb Durward's playing Steel Stompy right now in the Legacy Premier League against Jody Keith on U/W Landstill.

First timer here.

Played a 4x Karn MD version (no golem) of this to a 3-1 finish at my lgs this week. The loss (albeit a close one) , was vs a control deck, sweepers plus standstill and counterspells.. Reactive control seems to be one of the hardest mu:s for us, based on what I've seen and from my very limited experience. They seem to be the ones packing Null Rod/BtB on occasion aswell.

(Wins vs Steel Stompy, DelverNought and Infect)

Anyone tried playing with 8 lords and 8 manlands? Maybe even Cavern of Souls? I'd think changes like that could swing the control MU:s into our favor. Less need to overextend, while keeping up the clock.

Are we willing to pay the price of playing less acceleration for more lands?

I've been experimenting with this deck for about a week.

It seems to have a very bad matchup against Death & Taxes. Anyone beating Death & Taxes consistently with this deck? Love to know how.

Ballista is good and active jitte is good. but they have tools to stop these from performing.

Quote Originally Posted by ravager View Post
    I've been experimenting with this deck for about a week.

It seems to have a very bad matchup against Death & Taxes. Anyone beating Death & Taxes consistently with this deck? Love to know how.

Ballista is good and active jitte is good. but they have tools to stop these from performing.

3 Etched Champion maindeck and 3 spyglasses Sideboard and the matchup is very good

and dont Play Golem!

Is this deck viable in the current meta? The last list to make it into mtgtop8 was an older list without much of the newer tech talked about.

No hangars, no champions, no jitte.

20 LANDS
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Inventors' Fair
    2 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

24 CREATURES
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista

16 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

This very seems very front loaded to me. Like if they put up a good fight in the beginning are we going to fight it out with this list?

Quote Originally Posted by ravager View Post
    Is this deck viable in the current meta? The last list to make it into mtgtop8 was an older list without much of the newer tech talked about.

No hangars, no champions, no jitte.

20 LANDS
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Inventors' Fair
    2 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

24 CREATURES
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista

16 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

This very seems very front loaded to me. Like if they put up a good fight in the beginning are we going to fight it out with this list?

If I would play the deck at the moment, which i will not do, because i think its poorly positioned, i would play the list above - 1 sofi - Golem + 2 Welding Jar

I think 4 golems is too much presure aon the mana base, but the plan of locking out the opponent is the only viable plan with this deck in the current meta

Jul 2018
    Chicago, IL

So I took down a team trio's event in Chicago (Pasttimes) this past weekend where I played Steel Stompy.

Here's my list:

1 Hangarback Walker
    3 Vault Skirge
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

2 Mox Opal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Crystal Vein
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Spellskite
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Warping Wail
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Karakas

Since I haven't purchased Cities yet, I had to use Poor Man Cities and they sucked... so many games City would've been insane. I test a ton so I knew proper plays (more or less) but sacing the land or not having 2 mana turn 1 was rough.

I went 4-2-1 against
    Food Chain (2-1)
    Death Shadow (2-1)
    Grixis Control (2-1)
    Miracles (2-1)
    I-D vs Stoneblade
    Grixis Control (same opponent 1-2)
    Stoneblade (1-2)

My standard teammate went 6-0-1 and modern teammate went 5-1-1. So we took it down!

Thoughts:

I hate lodestone golem. It's so hard on the mana base and doesn't do enough.

I don' think I'll play less than 4 Ensnaring Bridges ever. It was so good in a ton of matchups. In the grixis and stone blade matchup I was able to get under the bridge or just shoot them to death.

I love Karn. I'm gonna try to jam the 2nd one into the deck.

I think the deck is very playable and correct mulliganing is huge!

I'm going to try a more equipment based deck with champions tomorrow at FNM because not having traitors seems to really slow the deck down and I feel it needs to be grindier and win through a clogged board state.

Hey there

I play Chalice Stompy Decks in Legacy for about 3 years now. I started with MUD (Metalworker/Forgemaster), then Big Eldrazi / Legend MUD and finally Dragon Stompy, Eldrazi Aggro and this:

No Shops!

Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traktors
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Inventors' Fair
    2 Darksteel Citadel

Mana
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

Staxx
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethyst

Beaters
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Etched Champion
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Lodestone Golem
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

Sideboard
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Etched Champion
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Leyline of the Void

About the choices:
    I have no Karakas, so the Citadels are there for Moxes and Ravagers. Thorns are main for fighting Miracles and Combo, because both are quite common where I usually get my Legacy Joy. The Champions as a playset amongst the 75, with additional Equipment and 2 Karns are for the grindy games with UW and those "Tempo" and Aggro Decks (except against Delver, then those Karns usually move to the Sideboard).
    - a small exaggeration: those Tempo Delver Decks seem to become bad Control Decks in our favor. We clopper'em good if they got the wrong opener, just like any others -
    The 3-ofs in my Sideboard are no playsets due to a calculation. For getting one in your opener (including Mulligans), a 3-of should be enough (going up to 4 is just marginally increasing the probability).

Now the small Tournament today!
    There was a small Sideevent announced next to today's Prerelease of Guilds of Ravnica. Only 4 players, so we chose to each play one another.
    -Men of Steel
    -Lands
    -Grixis Delver
    -TES
    I won it all 3-0, loosing a single game to Lands post board.

This Deck is hilarious!
    Either a fast (often really fast) opener, or locking the opponent out is always an option (while a fast clock is sort of a lock-piece), and the lategame usually becomes a combination of "both".

Have Fun
    Greetings

Played in small tournament last week. Decided to go with steel stompy instead of stoneblade.

Played this list:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Inventor's Fair
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    1 Karakas

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Etched Champion
    2 Lodestone Golem
    1 Hangarback Walker

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

3 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

R1 Win vs UB delver (teammate)
    G1 T1 chalice and efficient creatures get there.
    G2 Killed three delver with bomb which heavily swings the second game in my favor.

R2 Win vs BUG reanimator
    G1 I have T1 thorn, T2 thorn, T3 thorn + wasteland which gives more than enough time to get there.
    G2 I have leyline. He thoughtseizes and reanimates lodestone, but the taxing effect slows him down and he can't attack profitably. My onslaught of threats closes the game quickly.

R3 Loss vs grixis control
    G1 He hymns my lodestone and etched champion which would have won me the game.
    G2 I have an explosive start with lots of creatures. Hangarback with overseer provides a massive clock and he dies quickly
    G3 I have a decent start but don't see any of the gamechanging cards for this matchup (champion and karn) and can't close the game quickly enough before he outvalues me

R5 win vs elves
    G1 I have a T1 chalice but he has the reclamation sage for it. Ballista and pressure get there before he gets to do much more
    G2 He starts with zenith into arbor followed by T2 cradle, symbiote and manadork, I have the option of nuking his creatures with ravager + ballista + wasteland but that would also leave me without pressure on the board. I decide to waste his cradle and setup for a next turn blowout with pressure backup. Turns out he has natural order, double cradle and hoof in hand. He plays cradle and orders for elderscale wurm, which is a problem I can handle given a few turns. The next turn he plays his other cradle to get to 8 mana and plays hoof, which kills me.
    G3 I have a overseer, 2 factories and jitte. I attack with 2/2 overseer equipped with jitte and he opts to kill it with heritage druid + pendelhaven. This allows my jitte to kill wirewood and druid. He plays another wirewood but I just keep animating my factories, equiping and swinging so none of his creatures survive.

R5 ID vs rug delver (I am 4th in standings), this guy ended up winning the tournament.

QF vs my round 1 opponent with UB delver.
    G1 my T1 chalice gets forced and I get stuck on one land for a number of turns. He has bitterblossom as a clock and follows up with angler. He hymns away my etched champion and karn after I eventually find my lands but I still get him down to 2 life. Unfortunately he gets to kill me the turn before he would die to his own bitterblossom.
    G2 I rip a lot of lands and liliana plus pressure gets him there

All in all a fun experience with the deck again. Etched champion is really good right now because of all the control matchups, as is karn (vs grixis control he just wins on the spot because of the cardadvantage). I've now cut both lodestone golems for the 4th thorn and 2nd hangarback.

Interesting choice to cut all Lodestone Golems. In my experience, opening with T1 Thorn and T2 Golem is close to a hard-lock, even more with Wasteland follow up. Can you give me some more reasons for that?
    And Hangarback Walker seems really beautiful combined with Ravager and Overseer. I will test that.

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Hinterweltler View Post
    Interesting choice to cut all Lodestone Golems. In my experience, opening with T1 Thorn and T2 Golem is close to a hard-lock, even more with Wasteland follow up. Can you give me some more reasons for that?
    And Hangarback Walker seems really beautiful combined with Ravager and Overseer. I will test that.

Greetings
    Mostly because of the prevalence of grixis control decks now. Grixis plays a playset of baleful strix which gets around both thorn and golem and effectively prevents your golem from doing anything. Besides, T1 thorn, T2 thorn is pretty much almost the same kind of lock for most decks. 4 Mana is also a bit clunky, which can also be said for Karn, but he just outright wins the game vs most control decks.

I never really liked hangarback tbh, but that is because there have always been a lot of miracles, death and taxes and other stp decks in my meta. Getting a hangarback online just to have it go farming just feels bad. However now with grixis control being the most played control deck the card is just so much better because it always leaves behind more threats.

hi guys,

i just wanted to share my list which is something different as a reaction to the control heavy meta:

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Mind Stone
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Etched Champion
    1 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Karn, Scion of Urza

Sideboard
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Welding Jar
    4 Leyline of the Void

the idea with the creature base is to have cards that are high impact by themselves. drawing a vault skirge vs grixis control/miracles never wins the game. a karn on the other hand is a real threat.

I also decided to run rishadan port in order to attack mana/colours more efficiently. Mostly because the tutor effect from fair rarely comes up and while the lifegain is nice, i doubt it is more relevant than the ability to tap opposing lands. Truely this strategy would be better if lodestone golem was involved, but due to being an overall abyssmal card vs grixis control they were cut in favor of karn. These might turn out to not be good enough with the more grindy threatbase i run and i might cut them once more for darksteel citadel.

missing out on karakas sucks, however i dont really face a lot of sneakshow/reanimator + them getting griselbrand usually still wins through karakas anyways.

I cut mox opal in favor of mind stone. Mox opal is rarely online on turn 1 anyways and more often than not having metalcraft is not a given with this deck. Mind stone on the other hand provides a solid mana rock that can be run out turn 1. this stabilises the mana base, which is one of the decks weak spots. The fact that it can be cycled when we end up flooded on mana, makes it all the more appealing.

the sideboard is still somewhat stock and the result of me not getting to test this configuration too much.

what do you guys think about this approach?

Hi
    Mind Stone seems really slow to me, not a worthy replacement for the Mox. Though the card draw can come in handy, the speed of a T1 Mox that gets active is far superior I think.
    Replacing the Inventors' Fair with Rishadan Port seems okay, but now there is just a single source of lifegain left in your SB. I'd recommend to play at least some Umezawa's Jitte main, because those few lifepoints regained after excessive use of Ancient Tomb can make all the difference. Also moving above 20 can be a gamechanger versus Marit Lage, when your opponent can't just 20-you into next game. Vault Skirge really comes in handy from time to time.

Just my first thoughts, I can't play that much Legacy right now.
    And the lack of Karakas is also a problem here.

Greetings

i agree with the lifegain and karakas part. then again having solid mana rocks means i have to tap tomb less often. i will need to put in more testing.
    as far as being slow is concerned: mind stones are slow. especially because you sometimes have to take a turn off to deploy them, but in a meta where the opponent slams baleful strix going fast is not an option.
    a mox opal that is online turn 1 and matters on that turn is very rare in my experience. you would need something like vault skirge(or sol land + 2 drop) + petal + opal for opal to do anything except just sit there. getting our other artifacts removed also means that opal is turned off again which can be a huge blowout.

There are several occasions for Mox Opal to get active on T1 (and provide an aggressive start):
    -Sol Land, 2 Drop, Mox, Petal, 2 Drop
    -Citadel, Mox, Petal, 3 Drop (or 1 and 2)
    Furthermore, the Mox also smoothes your Mana when you want to avoid using Ancient Tomb. At least, it feasts Arcbound Ravager for 0 Mana.

true but as i said aggressive starts still do not work vs. grixis control. and may or may not br good vs. miracles (which are the two actual tier1 decks in the format right now).

mox opal is de facto a lot weaker in the mid/late game than mind stone since it cannot be used to draw a card.

personally i think mox opal is okay in a meta where being aggressive is key or when you are splashing a colour in some way.

again i think the de facto weakness is that mox opal is not always online and is usually turned off when we dont control creatures.

This may depend a lot on personal playstyle/preference. I actually had overall more efforts with aggressive openers supported by a Mox than going into the long game with Karn and stuff. That is why I play just one main and a second in my SB, not the full playset as you do. And a hand with multiple lock pieces and few threats, like Chalice, Thorn, Golem, Sol Land is surely supported far better by a Mox than a Mindstone, I'd say. And it probably wins on the play against control when my opponent has no Force of Will, which does happen.

Greetings

Decided to hang up Lands and go back to Stompy for Eternal Weekend. There seems to be a lot of divergence as of late, a couple discussion points:

* What utility land package are you guys using now? I've seen the original Karakas + Fair, Blinkmoth Nexi, Darksteel Citadel, even Rishadan Port. I would certainly keep at least 1 Karakas, and am leaning towards 2. Do you prefer 20 land/4 petal/3 mox or 21/4/2?

* Fewer Revokers. With DRS banned it's more difficult to blind hit, but having 4 MD Revokers won me a lot of matches - I'm reluctant to trim.

* Golem/Karn/Etched Champion. What split are you guys on? I've had a lot of trouble with DnT, so I definitely want at least a couple Champions.

* Equipment in the main - I'm leaning towards 1 Jitte if anything, but unsure.

* Hangarback - I had cut them initially, but they are nice against Grixis/edicts in general. Thoughts?

* Welding Jar/Spellskite in the main - I think I'd generally prefer to run Hangarback in this slot, but Jar does help with Opal.

* Vault Skirge - I am hesitant to cut the lifegain package, but have seen many lists doing so.

Here is a tentative list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    1 Inventor's Fair
    1 Blinkmoth Nexus

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal