Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i think ballista and/or hangarback are warranted with master of etherium. you can drop them for 0 mana and then go crazy with overseer + ravager.
    I love to have hangarback in my list, but there just isn't room for them. If supreme verdict was played as much as terminus, I could definitely see myself playing hangarback walkers.

I have Jitte, Whipflare and Giraphr Aether grid instead. I don';t think I need ballista.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanYuan View Post
    If I could ask, how are people finding Etched Champion in this deck main/board?

Which matchups have you liked champion?
    I'm not a big fan of rumning multiples of him as I'm not playing more than 1 equipment, currently at 0-1 copies. He's good vs StP/Path, meaning vs Miracles, DnT and some fringe ones like that play/board into said removal. I'd rather have Hangarback Vs Grixis and pretty much rest of the field, due to going wide with Ravager/Overseer.

In your case with quad platings though, I'd opt for maybe 3-of Champion and no Hangarback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    I'm not a big fan of rumning multiples of him as I'm not playing more than 1 equipment, currently at 0-1 copies. He's good vs StP/Path, meaning vs Miracles, DnT and some fringe ones like that play/board into said removal. I'd rather have Hangarback Vs Grixis and pretty much rest of the field, due to going wide with Ravager/Overseer.

In your case with quad platings though, I'd opt for maybe 3-of Champion and no Hangarback.
    Whats funny is I never understood how to play Ravanger and I never ran him for a while (I know, let that stupidty sink in).

Idk about the precise role for Champion in legacy. I find a 3 mana for 2/2 just isn't that great in a format where everyone is doing hyper powerful things.
    Last edited by AlanYuan; 05-08-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by AlanYuan View Post
    Whats funny is I never understood how to play Ravanger and I never ran him for a while (I know, let that stupidty sink in).

Idk about the precious role for Champion in legacy. I find a 3 mana for 2/2 just isn't that great in a format where everyone is doing hyper powerful things.
    Champion is outstanding in fair matchups and if you have ways to make him big (Overseer, Ravager, Plating) then he's really awesome. Defensively he's great to block infinitely and offensively he can hit hard through ground stalls. But yeah in combo matches he is pretty slow, and miracles with sweepers he can sometimes be less than ideal
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Champion is outstanding in fair matchups and if you have ways to make him big (Overseer, Ravager, Plating) then he's really awesome. Defensively he's great to block infinitely and offensively he can hit hard through ground stalls. But yeah in combo matches he is pretty slow, and miracles with sweepers he can sometimes be less than ideal
    I play 3 The Antiquities wars in my sideboard over the traditional Champions. I prob should swap them back to Champions. (I heavily oppose Champions in the main as the floor for the card is way too blow, i.e. vs combo/ eldrazi)

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

It's been a long while since I've posted. Went 4-1-2 at a 29 person event today in NJ, good enough for top 4 split

List:
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    4 mishra's factory
    4 Wasteland
    3 Tree of tales
    1 Karakas
    1 Inventor's fair

4 Vault skirge
    4 Steel overseer
    4 Archbound ravenger
    4 Walking ballista
    2 Lodestone golem
    2 Hangerback walker
    3 Phyrexian revoker

2 Karn, scion of urza
    2 Lotus petal
    3 Mox opal
    4 Thorn of amethyst
    4 Chalice of the void
    1 Umezawa's jitte

SB:
    1 Karn, scion of urza
    1 Lodestone golem
    1 Umezawa's jitte
    2 Etched champion
    4 Leyline of the void
    2 Choke
    2 Seal of primordium
    1 Karakas

Matchups:
    R1: BR reanimator 2-0
    R2: UW miracles 2-0
    R3: URB Grixis control 2-1
    ID
    ID
    Top 8 RW painter with gorilla shamans, goblin welder, Karn the great creator main 2-1 (Hollywood)
    Top 4 split
    Top 4 Mono-red burn 0-2 (I punted game 1 really hard but felt like I had no chance game 2)

8-4 across games
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    It's been a long while since I've posted. Went 4-1-2 at a 29 person event today in NJ, good enough for top 4 split

List:
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    4 mishra's factory
    4 Wasteland
    3 Tree of tales
    1 Karakas
    1 Inventor's fair

4 Vault skirge
    4 Steel overseer
    4 Archbound ravenger
    4 Walking ballista
    2 Lodestone golem
    2 Hangerback walker
    3 Phyrexian revoker

2 Karn, scion of urza
    2 Lotus petal
    3 Mox opal
    4 Thorn of amethyst
    4 Chalice of the void
    1 Umezawa's jitte

SB:
    1 Karn, scion of urza
    1 Lodestone golem
    1 Umezawa's jitte
    2 Etched champion
    4 Leyline of the void
    2 Choke
    2 Seal of primordium
    1 Karakas

Matchups:
    R1: BR reanimator 2-0
    R2: UW miracles 2-0
    R3: URB Grixis control 2-1
    ID
    ID
    Top 8 RW painter with gorilla shamans, goblin welder, Karn the great creator main 2-1 (Hollywood)
    Top 4 split
    Top 4 Mono-red burn 0-2 (I punted game 1 really hard but felt like I had no chance game 2)

8-4 across games
    glad to see you've finally turned to the chalice dark side. any thoughts on how you might incorporate the new karn? i've been trying to figure out if it actually adds a lot of value to this deck or not. i always want to draw ravager with this deck, and am not sure if it would benefit to have it as a tutorable card, along with overseer, hangarback, and additional hate piece or two etc.

thoughts?
    -rob

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

See, I'm not really sure. The mono-white bomberman lists seem like a better Karn the great creator deck than this one. For me, I always want steel overseer as that card feels way more must answer than anything else in the deck outside of the chalices/thorns as it makes vault skirge, walking ballista, and hangerback actual threats while ravager requires more of a board presence (and a clear path) to work out. The original list I was working with, the 9th place list for GP Niagra, had etched champion main and parts of the deck felt weak. I didn't like equipment as a tempo loss, I didn't like paying 3 for a 2/2 without the equipment.

So instead I kinda try to play this like vintage shops: I want to disrupt the opponent with chalice and resistors while my overseer uses that time to crush them. I might move the jitte to the board for the lodestone that is there and save the etched champion/jitte package for sideboard matchups like death and taxes where they shine. I hate how a lot of the threats in this deck require time or a lot of mana to effectively attack, but hopefully another lodestone clears that?

With that in mind, I don't know if Karn the great creator enacts that game plan well. He will be costly with resistors in play and will generally take the turn off to find a real threat. Meanwhile, Karn, scion of urza makes a threat that turn and the turn after that complements our board of several lock pieces kinda well without taking the turn off, or generates card advantage in the matchups where the X/X isn't as important. I don't expect to use the great creator here and have done little to test with him as I picked up this deck 5 days ago because I thought it looked cool and after some testing played pretty much how I wanted my deck to perform for the local event: favored against blue, not autolose vs combo, a deck I hadn't played before (learning a new deck is incredibly fun for me), something other players might not have extensive experience playing against.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Karn I feel like doesn't do enough here. It's expensive under resistors, his +1 has very little good text here, and his tutor ability is powerful, but kinda slow. And I'd rather actually just have the best cards in my main deck
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

What do you think? Can this card be good against Miracles and Stoneblade decks?

I have seen that few people run Phyrexian metamorph.

I think is excellent against deck as lands and reanimator.

I run 1 copy on my main and usually gives me games, because is quite an unexpected card.
    Last edited by Pelofu; 06-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post

What do you think? Can this card be good against Miracles and Stoneblade decks?
    From my very limited testing, it's really good vs any U/W matchups. In essence it's protection from TNN/Mentor and Swords, also from their planeswalkers (Jace/Teferi). Terminus is still terminus though^^ One connect with this has a potentially huge impact.

I really like the overall synergies it has in this deck. Ramping your team + Karn SoU, while potentially ticking up Chalices or other tools that use charge counters is really nice.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I have been trying a version with

4x Stonecoil Serpent (I think is a must now), it fights great against Delver decks and is a very flexible creature.

Also trying to play with 4x Dark Confidant adding 2 urborg to the mana base, and having a lot of X cost spells.

I think if they unban Lurrus, it will be a great addition, due to it is almost free in the first game. I don´t see this option imposible with the new companion rule.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Ravager Shops

Arcbound Ravager -deck seems to have gotten some strong cards the last few years which have made the deck undeniably stronger imo.

Consider :

Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp
    Modular creatures dying every turn is the name of the game for this deck and Zabaz just makes this strategy better.
    He's also a Legendary who doesn't hurt from his Legendary status but rather benefits drom it.
    Playing a second zabaz simply puts two instead of one counter on the remaining one.
    And there's a nifty trick you can do with him ... mentioned later.
    This makes him an easy 4-off

The Ozolith
    Combine this card with Zabaz and the amount of +1/+1 counters moving around can get out of hand quickly.
    This card has gotten better because it can be tutored up now and put into play uncountered by ...

Urza's Saga
    This card is just a perfect addition to Ravager.
    Mana : check
    Creating growing constructs : check
    tutoring up crucial artifacts : check
    Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp, The Ozolith but also Shadowspear, Animation Module and the usual suspects from the SB.

Arcbound Mouser is a straight up improvement over Arcbound Worker. It costs W instead of colorless but that is hardly a handicap in a white deck.
    The Mouser's Lifelink ( and Shadowspear ) can make a big difference vs aggro decks.

Esper Sentinel
    Another huge card.
    T1 Drop. It's an artifact. Gets more effective with counters on it and now this deck can have card draw to put up even more pressure.
    Easy 4-off.

Halvar, God of Battle // Sword of the Realms
    https://scryfall.com/card/khm/15/hal...he-realms?back
    Too bad you have no way to manipulate this Sword into your hand, but equiped on any of these creatures you can do nifty things.

The trick I mentioned above involves the Sword and two Zabaz.
    Play 2nd Zabaz and send the equiped one to the GY - then return it back to your hand - and put an increasing number of counters on the new one ( and the Ozolith, if in play )
    Of course you can sac any equiped creature back to your hand with Ravager too.
    The sword also neutralizes any non-exile removal the opponent may hold.

It costs 3 mana altogether to replay and equip but often you won't have anything else to do with your mana anyway.

Consider what the Sword can do with a Walking Ballista or Hangarback Walker

One of the biggest threats to this deck with all its 1cc cards is obviously the Chalice.
    But we can have this covered as well now with
    Prismatic Ending
    With Plains, Phyrexian Tower, Glimmervoid and Mox Opal this deck can reliably produce two/three different colors and possibly up to four/five, so Prismatic Ending should be able to eliminate most things thrown your way. Bigger Stuff can be handled by the SB which is still a WIP.

Current build :

//CC0 - 10
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Hangarback Walker

//CC1 - 21
    4 Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp
    4 Prismatic Ending
    4 Esper Sentinel
    4 Arcbound Mouser
    3 The Ozolith
    1 Shadowspear
    1 Animation Module

//CC2 - 10
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    2 Ethersworn Canonist

//CC4 - 1
    1 Halvar, God of Battle // Sword of the Realms

//Lands - 18
    6 Plains
    4 Ancient Den
    3 Urza's Saga
    2 Glimmervoid
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    1 Phyrexian Tower

//Sideboard - 15
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Dispatch
    2 Portable Hole
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage

Meu primeiro friday foi na última sexta-feira, fiquei 2-2 e terminei em 4° lugar entre 9 jogadores.

2x0 BW Control.
    Nesse jogo, venci os dois games de forma rápida. O destaque foi para um Véu do Verão aplicado em resposta a uma Liliana do Véu que evitou o sacrifício da minha única criatura na mesa, no turno seguinte comprei o meu segundo Berserk então dobrei duas vezes o poder da minha criatura e dei fim ao jogo.

0x2 Hollow One
    Aqui o primeiro game foi perdido nos detalhes, o oponente combou rápido mas eu tinha criaturas para bloquear e um Vault Skirge para ganhar vida, porém um Burn Inquiry no meio do game tirou 2 Rancor do meu topo e no turno seguinte tomei uma única porrada e fui a zero pontos de vida. No game 2 fui atropelado e meu side não estava bem preparado para um deck assim.

2x0 Burn
    No game 1 baixo o Tarmagoyf na mesa e meu oponente começa a me queimar, meu Goyf fica 3/4 acho um Rancor e tinha um Berserk na mão.
    No game 2, dois Kavu Predador e um Envigorar resolvem o jogo rápido, meu oponente zicou também, de qualquer forma a mana branca estava sempre de pé para usar uma Espadas em Arados em um dos meus Kavus para não perder na corrida.

0x2 Sneak and Show
    Aqui fui atropelado, não deu para anotar a placa. O oponente no seu primeiro turno fez Pétala de Lótus + Ancient Tomb + Show and Tell + Onisciência e eu juntei as cartas. No game 2, no turno 2 do oponente, o próprio fez Show and Tell + Onisciência e eu novamente recolhi as cartas. Fiz mulligan para 5 mas o side não apareceu.

Dos 4 oponentes que enfrentei, 3 fizeram top 3, o Hollow One fez 4-0 em um field com UR, 4C Zenith e Goblins. Para a próxima vez devo melhorar o meu side para hate de cemitério e combos principalmente. Foi um bom começo, e espero na próxima fazer um resultado melhor.

Segue o link do deck https://www.ligamagic.com.br/?view=dks/deck&id=3026614

Thread Information