Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Hybrid View

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Intro/Explanation

Steel Stompy was a deck built by a friend (Metalwalker) a long time ago. This one is a bit of a callback in some ways, although it owes a lot to Vintage in cards and concept. Anyways, I'd been pondering whether it was possible to port the Vintage Workshop deck to Legacy for quite a while. The manabase is far worse as everyone knows, but we get to play all the non-mana toys without being burdened by the restricted list, which counts for something. I had a discussion with a buddy who doesn't post on here, where I played the part of the skeptic due to the aforementioned issues with the manabase. He thought the issue had merit but I kind of shelved it for a while due to not believing in the heart of the cards. Recently, I came around to trying it out when I considered the synergy between Arcbound Ravager and Walking Ballista/Hangarback Walker. I like all of these cards but hadn't played them in Legacy outside of Ballista in Bomberman, a very different deck with different reasons for playing the card. The +1/+1 counter theme, and remembering Metalwalker's old stompy deck, pointed me to Steel Overseer which is fantastic with these kind of things. Manlands, as in Modern Affinity, go great with Ravager + Overseer. My favorite card - Chalice - is not restricted in this format, and the one drops the Modern deck plays are far too underpowered to be an alternative. For once I find myself actually playing Thorn of Amethyst, since pretty much the whole deck costs 2, Trinisphere actually messes with the curve a lot. Lodestone Golem stacks well with Thorn and can be protected from removal by Chalice, Ravager, and Overseer. After that all came together, I filled in the other nonland slots with Moxen and a couple of flex slots. With the creative process out of the way, the first list:

4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Lodestone Golem

3 Mox Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Crucible of Worlds

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Powder Keg
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Etched Champion
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Spine of Ish Sah

The sideboard is a bit of a mess but the main felt very solid at the first local event. As expected from a Chalice deck, any game where you are on the play feels extremely strong, but the presence of Thorn and potential turn 2 Golems makes this even more noticeable than normal. Turn one Deathrite when you're on the draw of course feels bad, but can be played around. I will likely make the following changes the next time I play the deck (which won't be for a while as our local event is Monday which falls on Christmas/New Year's).

-3 Mox Opal
    -2 Cavern of Souls

+1 Mox Diamond
    +4 Mishra's Factory

Mox Opal was underwhelming because it's next to impossible to activate it turn one unless your hand is already bonkers. More lands is likely better. Cavern is a mixed bag because of the variety of creature types in the 75, and I found myself wishing it was just another manland. More manlands makes Ravager and Overseer even better and ensures you just don't run out of dudes. Also, despite the relatively low curve you really don't want to miss land drops, and the 8 dudes with "XX" in their cost really soften the impact of any potential mana flood. I almost want to play a couple copies of Wastes because of the multiple Veteran Explorer decks in my meta right now, but that might be a little much. Side note: this deck is deceptively strong against the Rector/Enchantments VE deck due to the combination of taxing effects and +1/+1 counters. My first event went like this:

Round 1: WGB Rector/Veteran Explorer

Game one I win the roll and have turn 1 Thorn, turn 2 Golem, turn 3 Golem. Not much to say about this one as he really didn't cast anything at all. Game 2 is more of the same but slower, which allowed him to GSZ for Explorer to slow the offense. Two Golems, Ravager, and I think a Hangarback Walker made appearances. 2-0

Round 2: Casual Mono-Red Goblins

Pretty sure this was basically a starter deck, but he won round one so who am I to judge. Game one I'm on the play with Chalice and Lodestone Golem, which slows him down enough for me to get there. Game two I die to a bunch of hasty Goblins as my draw is insufficiently explosive. Game three I have Chalice and we trade removal on things (Bomb and Keg for me, various burn spells for him). Eventually a decently sized Ravager gets there. 2-1

Round 3: Grixis Delver

I once again win the die roll (I usually lose them all when playing Chalice so this is awesome). I open with turn one Walking Ballista off of land, Mox Diamond. He plays Delver which dies to Ballista, and then I have double Wasteland. I draw Crucible while he durdles and he scoops to impending Wastelock. Game two I awkwardly play Mox Diamond into Daze and then get my Wasteland both Wastelanded and Surgically Extracted. I'm stuck on two lands and my first couple things get countered or killed by Ancient Grudge, but he lacks pressure with just a Deathrite. Eventually I started sticking dudes with "x" in their cost and I think a Ravager, while he floods out. 2-0

Not a bad showing for a first test run, although winning all the die rolls definitely made things easier than they probably should have been. Anyways, pick up the deck, play it, tell me I'm terrible at magic, whatever. It's fun to play and might have potential.
    Last edited by Admiral_Arzar; 12-19-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

When you say more manlands, what exactly were you thinking? In terms of guys that become artifact creatures (aside from what u r playing already) all i could find are Dread Sanctuary and Stalking Stones. I guess you could run mutavault but that doesn't interact with Ravager or Overseer.

I'd probably just run a Ghost Quarter or 2 to go along with your Crucible of Worlds. Most decks don't play many basics anyway. Or maybe Inventor's Fair and/or Buried Ruin.

Seems janky, but what about Tezzeret's Gambit? Card draw that proliferates your army.

Why Spine of Ish Sah over All Is Dust? You have no metalworker or workshop that profits it being an artifact. I guess there's the ravager-synergy, but this seems kind of slow. Against decks that swarm the board with TNN or Mentor I'm pretty sure you want the Eldrazi spell over the artifact, even if that's a flavor-fail

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa91 View Post
    Why Spine of Ish Sah over All Is Dust? You have no metalworker or workshop that profits it being an artifact. I guess there's the ravager-synergy, but this seems kind of slow. Against decks that swarm the board with TNN or Mentor I'm pretty sure you want the Eldrazi spell over the artifact, even if that's a flavor-fail
    I'm guessing Spine is for Show and Tell strategies and Ratchet Bomb/Powder Keg is for swarm decks.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    I'm guessing Spine is for Show and Tell strategies and Ratchet Bomb/Powder Keg is for swarm decks.
    That is correct. Show and Tell is a fixture in my meta, and All is Dust is difficult to cast without Eldrazi lands or mana rocks like Monolith/Dynamo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    When you say more manlands, what exactly were you thinking? In terms of guys that become artifact creatures (aside from what u r playing already) all i could find are Dread Sanctuary and Stalking Stones. I guess you could run mutavault but that doesn't interact with Ravager or Overseer.

I'd probably just run a Ghost Quarter or 2 to go along with your Crucible of Worlds. Most decks don't play many basics anyway. Or maybe Inventor's Fair and/or Buried Ruin.

Seems janky, but what about Tezzeret's Gambit? Card draw that proliferates your army.
    Mishra's Factory was what I meant by extra manlands. It wasn't in the first draft although I did think about including it. All the other lands are definitely possible, not sure if any of them is better than keeping on a couple of Caverns though. I'm not sure there's room for proliferate shenanigans in here, I have another deck idea for that ;).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    That is correct. Show and Tell is a fixture in my meta, and All is Dust is difficult to cast without Eldrazi lands or mana rocks like Monolith/Dynamo.

Mishra's Factory was what I meant by extra manlands. It wasn't in the first draft although I did think about including it. All the other lands are definitely possible, not sure if any of them is better than keeping on a couple of Caverns though. I'm not sure there's room for proliferate shenanigans in here, I have another deck idea for that ;).
    Oh wow Factory. Completely forgot that one.

Hmm.....yeah Inventor's Fair is great for me when I've played MUD but your deck has a ton of redundant pieces so I'm not sure it's as good in your deck. However, with Crucible of Worlds it's pretty much Demonic Tutor every turn....

Dec 2014
    Philly area

How are none of these lists running The Abyss? Card is nuts in Affinity shells.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    How are none of these lists running The Abyss? Card is nuts in Affinity shells.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Paging Vintage Greg! He did fairly well at EW playing Affinity with a full set of The Abyss.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...run-men-steel/

MAIN DECK:
    4 Walking Ballista
    2 Lodestone Golem
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Vault Skirge
    2 Hangarback Walker
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Inventor's Fair
    4 Wasteland

SIDEBOARD:
    2 Spellskite
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Ensaring Bridge
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Sorceress Spyglasses
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    I like the idea of moving Revoker to the side for Hangerback and Golem.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Aug 2014
    New Jersey

I like the idea of moving Revoker to the side for Hangerback and Golem.
    I played a few hours with the new MKM list. Revokers were nuts. Can't imagine cutting them.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by itrytostorm View Post
    I played a few hours with the new MKM list. Revokers were nuts. Can't imagine cutting them.
    This is my experience playing various Stompy-decks too. Revokers usually do some very good stuff, pulling you out of matches you weren't winning otherwise and interacting with many difficult-to-interact-with things (DRS, LED, Heritage Druid, Sneak Attack, Jace, Vial, Grim Monolith, etc.) and in the worst case, they're still 2/1 artifact creatures in a deck with Ravager, Steel Overseer and some equipment. They particularly help with many of the more difficult/coinflippy G1s, which is really nice. Sadly they aren't amazing vs. Lands or Eldrazi, but you can still nail the occasional artifact from Lands and there are various uses that range from extremely important to niche vs. Eldrazi. Maindecking them is probably a metagame call but with how prevalent DRS is, I don't think it's a bad call at all.

Mar 2007
    RI

I’m pretty new to trying out this archetype and was curious about some of the differences I’ve seen in configurations.

The flex land slots seem split between people using Cavern of Souls, Inventor’s Fair, and additional man lands. My initial thinking is manlands strike me as having broader strengths across matches. Their floor is less impacted by what’s in play/hand and I feel like their ceiling can also be quite high depending on game state.

There was some talk of Foundry Inspector in Vault Skirge’s place at some point. Did that configuration put up results anywhere?

I’ve been a bit surprised to see lists with less than 4 Thorn of Amethyst and less than 3 Lodestone Golem, sol land powering out disruption seems like where this deck wants to be starting games.

Anyone know another discussion location for Steel Stompy / Ravager Shops that’s more active than here? Just trying to gather up more perspectives on this deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TPDMC

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

With a bit of poking, you can get everyone talking in the Stax part of the Lands Discord. It's basically turned into a Prison Discord.

https://discord.gg/rxb7rUr
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Was testing a different Blinkmoth Nexus in lieu of Mishra's Factory and accidentally 5-0'd another league. Here's the list:

Being that the current online metagame is light Miracles and heavy in creature based decks, Blinkmoth seemed (and was) a better choice. Many were the times in which my opponent had creatures on board and we were both stalled except for the Nexuses, which cumulatively dealt the winning damage.

In most games, I use Factories to mainly produce mana, and not as a creature, neither attacking or defending. This is why I thought it might be worthwhile switching to Nexus.

You'll also note that I have dropped all the equipment from the deck: this comes from the realization that many times I'd have an equipment in hand, but my mana was more efficiently used either casting other spells, or pumping ballistas/hangarbacks. Or I would have equipment, but a small flow of creatures which were trading with opponent's removal.

Faced:

Elves
    Death and Taxes
    ANT
    TES
    Eldrazi

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

Time to rename the thread? /s

BTW, there's now an Affinity/Robots Discord at https://discord.gg/yr62bbe, with a Legacy section we can post in.

Thread Information