Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Quote Originally Posted by aromaticity View Post
    I've been iffy about having Thorns in the mainboard, but after the bannings I have a feeling it'll be a lot easier to justify.
    Agreed. I think the card I'll probably be flexing on is Revoker. DRS was my #1 revoker target on a lot of occasions.
    #FreeNedLeeds

Professional Pain-in-Lincoln's-Ass, Team Topdecked

Decks:

Modern: Affinity
    Legacy: Steel Stompy/"Dos Equis", SnS, Mono-R Sneak, Dragon Stompy, Infect, Eldrazi Aggro
    Vintage: Shops, JacoDrazi
    93/94: mono-b, BRUD

Jul 2018
    Chicago, IL

FNM Report

Greetings,

So a quick background, I played Legacy affinity for years but recently took about 5 years off from Legacy due to legacy community where I was playing and amount of time I could play magic. But a month ago I got really excited about getting back into Legacy here in Chicago. So I built up an affinity list and wasnt happy with it. I've always wanted to play STAX in vintage and once I saw Steel Stompy I really wanted to play that too. So given that, I have not acquired all the cards yet but here's my list to date:

4x Ravager
    3x Etched Champion
    3x Lodestone Golem
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Steel Overseer
    4x Vault Skirge
    3x Walking Balista

4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Cranial Plating
    3x Lotus Petal
    4x Mox Opal
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

3x Ancient Tomb
    4x Darksteel Citadel
    4x Mishra's Factory
    4x Seat of the Synod
    1x Vault of Whispers
    3x Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2x Phyrexian Metamorph
    2x Spellskite
    4x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Ensaring Bridge
    3x Winter Orb
    2x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Round 1: RUG 2-0
    My opening 7 was pretty week to a lot of decks, not lock pieces, just creatures and mana. I ended up double wastelanding him and equipinging a Jitte onto a Champ. He never got to 2 mana and struggled to keep up with me.
    Game 2 i sol land into Chalice, he FOWs. I got Thorn on turn 2 and then play 2 skirge's. They beat down for a while until he flips a delver. I drop ravager and sac a few lands to make one of them a 4/4. I ride that to victory.

Round 2: RUG 1-2
    He opens with Delver into Delver and then turn 4 mongoose. Oh, also had daze and FOW to stop anything relevant I tried to do...
    Game 2 I stick 2 golems off some fast mana and he has 2 delvers again. I slam a spellskite and than eats up a few bolts. Then I finally find a champ and ride that in for the win. I debated a ton during this game of trading my 5/3 for a 3/2 flier. Eventually I just slammed in because it would've been lethal if he didnt block. But I feel the tax of golem on him was pretty harsh.Thoughts here?
    Game 3 I had no chance, I mulled to 5 and turn 2 ancient grudge on my vault of whispers didnt help at all. So I got run over by a flipped delver and tarmo.

Round 3: Miracles 2-0
    My opponent is pretty solid player and incredibly nice guy. He was the first person to greet me into the Legacy community via FB when I was digging around for places to play. We've played over 20 games together over past few weeks so he thinks he can crush me. But I read @Johanovich posts and learned how to play the deck better vs Miracles. =)
    Anyways, game 1 he terminus on turn 3 getting rid of my 2 skirge's and an overseer. My hand was stacked so I slammed champ and a plating to ride that to victory.
    Game 2 was a ton of life loss to Ancient Tomb but after 2 terminus I find a plating on a skirge and ride that to victory. Jamming 2 threats and waiting for them to deal with them seems like the best line of play. But definitely a high skill match.

Round 4: Burn 2-1
    Playing for prizes here. We only pay out for X-1
    Game one I go waste, petal, petal, chalice of the void. She stares at me and says, "What deck are you on... oh and I can't beat that." Scoops
    Game 2, I'm pretty sure I misplayed here. I raced an Eidolon and a Goblin Guide with 2 skirge, a champ and a Sofi. He had a timely Smash to Smithereens on my Sofi too. I never killed the Eidolon because I felt she had to keep taking life from it to. Fireblast to the face ended the game.
    Game 3 was insane. I literally ended the game on turn 20 with a chalice on 1, 2 and 3. I had 2 golems, spellskite, 2 champs, 4 overseers and 3 skirge's in my hand. She had her 3 bridge down and a seal of fire. I finally rip a balista and ride that to victory over the next 2 turns with 8 overseer activations and a ton of mana. Well fought battle for 5th place.

I ended up picking of 20 packs in store credit for my efforts.

Cards I acquired / changed.
    I took out Tezz for 2 ratchet bomb
    I have 4 leyline of the void in the mail
    I will pickup the 4th wasteland and thorn some time this week in Chicago. The store's I've been to didnt have the tempest ones in stock.
    I added in 2 rachet bombs as well. They seem soooooo good in a meta full of RUG.
    Picking up City of Traitors will have to wait a few months, hopefully build up enough store credit to get one or two and then snag the last 2 on a splurge.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDoom View Post
    This deck work with mox diamond?

I dont have mox opal
    It's definitely playable with mox diamond. I have been running diamond over opal for the last month or so because opal felt very lack luster (no T1 mana, very fragile to disruption, redundant copies are almost as bad as diamond), and I've also found it to be a less fragile source of mana (removal turns off metalcraft quite easily in this deck since there aren't enough 0-drops like modern affinity). The correct configuration is likely some sort of split of mox diamond/opal/petal but I haven't tested that out just yet.

I'm testing out a rather spicy list atm that includes 3 karn, 2 traxos, 2 jitte, 2 smugglers copters, 3 mox diamonds, and 3 thorn and man it's a hoot. Smuggler's copter is actually quite good in this deck, and I think it really should be tested more as a filter option (cycles extra opals/diamonds and is an aggressive flyer)

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    less K Command is a big Win

More Miracles is a bit of a loss

We Need Sideboard changes, because this deck was Build (at least by me) to beat drs
    What changes are you thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Spoonerman View Post
    Agreed. I think the card I'll probably be flexing on is Revoker. DRS was my #1 revoker target on a lot of occasions.
    I don't think you want to remove too many revokers. If stoneblade and goblins are gonna make a comeback then you want to be able to revoke vial, jitte, stoneforge, jace, trashmaster and some other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mambosong View Post
    It's definitely playable with mox diamond. I have been running diamond over opal for the last month or so because opal felt very lack luster (no T1 mana, very fragile to disruption, redundant copies are almost as bad as diamond), and I've also found it to be a less fragile source of mana (removal turns off metalcraft quite easily in this deck since there aren't enough 0-drops like modern affinity). The correct configuration is likely some sort of split of mox diamond/opal/petal but I haven't tested that out just yet.

I'm testing out a rather spicy list atm that includes 3 karn, 2 traxos, 2 jitte, 2 smugglers copters, 3 mox diamonds, and 3 thorn and man it's a hoot. Smuggler's copter is actually quite good in this deck, and I think it really should be tested more as a filter option (cycles extra opals/diamonds and is an aggressive flyer)
    Personally I don't like the looter scooter. I've tried it for a while before switching to champion. I thought the idea of shutting something down with revoker and then using that revoker to crew was great, but I ended up not really liking the card because it costs more with thorns and often got stuck in my hand because everything else just felt better to cast. I'm ok with paying extra for a jitte because that card is just bonkers as soon as it gets active, but the same cannot be said for copter in my opinion.

What are people's thoughts on some combination of Tangle Wire, Winter Orb and/or Sphere of Resistance in the 75 for Men of Steel, post-ban?

Quote Originally Posted by imaginaryunit View Post
    What are people's thoughts on some combination of Tangle Wire, Winter Orb and/or Sphere of Resistance in the 75 for Men of Steel, post-ban?
    Tangle Wire has been unplayable in Legacy outside of decks like Stax that use the ~2 turns it buys you to set up a hardlock for years. Nothing has changed there.

Sphere of Resistance is a significantly worse as two mana disruption than Chalice and Thorn. Only a consideration if the post-ban format turns out to be sooooo heavy in fast combo decks that you absolutely want more then 8 of these effects. And even in that case I'd probably play some other form of combo hate as relying only on artifact hate leaves you open to counter-hate like Hurkyl's Recall.

Winter Orb is the most likely of the three to play a role, depending on the number and form of the control decks we will see. But if you want to use Winter Orb in those match-ups, you will probably have to think about changing the mana base as Winter Orb and manlands do not mix.

All three also suffer from being non-creature spells. The deck relies on the synergies between its creatures. During deck construction as well as during boarding, you can't just cut creatures for spells. No matter how many Winter Orbs, Chalice of the Voids and Thorn of Amethyst you have, if your only clock is one Vault Skirge or one Arcbound Ravager, the opponent will draw his answers before you kill him.

Jul 2018
    Chicago, IL

So this coming weekend I'm attending a team event with 2 buddies. It's a mix of standard, modern and legacy and I'm piloting Steel Stompy.

Here's my current list:

4x Ravager
    2x Etched Champion
    2x Lodestone Golem
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Steel Overseer
    4x Vault Skirge
    3x Walking Balista

4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Cranial Plating
    3x Lotus Petal
    3x Mox Opal
    1x SoFI
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

4x Ancient Tomb
    3x Darksteel Citadel
    2x Inventor's Fair
    4x Mishra's Factory
    4x Seat of the Synod
    4x Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2x Spellskite
    4x Leyline of the Void
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    2x Karn, Scion of Urza

Since I don't have a karakas or City of Traiitors, I've decided on this mana compilation.

My question is, would wastes, crystal vein, seat of synod or an additional citadel be best to replace them (for the time being).

Also, any input on the list is welcome as well.

I think I'd play Blinkmoth Nexus or Crystal Vein before Seat of the Synod, or maybe even the 4th Petal. T1 chalice is a lot better than t2. Tho if you want artifact lands, Vault of Whispers would make more sense as we have black cards but not blue.
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

This deck isn't quite like Bomberman or Eldrazi stompy, where you're planning on consistently casting 3+ CMC cards. Because of that and because of how many two drops we run, I think City of Traitors 'fits' better in this deck than in other stompy shells. I can have a hand of 2x City of Traitors as my only land, and although not ideal, it's perfectly serviceable and will lead to a very explosive opener.

Given that, I think Crystal Vein seems like a pretty serviceable budget replacement. I also like the suggestion of maxing out on Lotus Petal.

I'm currently running Johanovich's GP list with Hangarback Walkers over the Champions and Metamorph and +1 land -1 petal (though I think I'm going switch back to 3 petal) and it's absolutely stellar. I definitely liked the Champions and Metamorph as options, especially since Metamorph has a lot of unexpected utility as a tutor target, but I'm going for a more consistent/focused MB I guess. Walker serves a similar purpose to Champion in that it's an amazing card vs fair decks, but it also provides a bit of extra utility here and there - resistance to board wipes, combo potential with Ravager, extra fliers vs stuff like Marit Lage. I also think being a potential two drop is a pretty big bonus given what I mentioned above about City of Traitors.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

I've read a big part of the thread, but i couldn't find anything about Gaea's Cradle, Master of Etherium and the new card Sai, Master Thopterist.

What's your opinion on these cards? On first sight they look strong... Guys, your advice is much appreciated!

Jul 2018
    Chicago, IL

Thanks @aslidsiksoraksi and @aromaticity. Both comments make total sense to me. I was able to find 4 Crystal Veins in town so I'll run those this weekend. I'm super pumped and excited to see how our team, and specifically I, fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Headshot View Post
    I've read a big part of the thread, but i couldn't find anything about Gaea's Cradle, Master of Etherium and the new card Sai, Master Thopterist.

What's your opinion on these cards? On first sight they look strong... Guys, your advice is much appreciated!
    Gaea's Cradle does not help to cast T1 Chalice, Thorn or even a two drop creature. This deck is not elves. You don't have any one mana creatures to flood the board with.

Master of Etherium and Sai, Master Thopterist both require a blue splash. Yes the deck can support splash colors, but they come at the cost of consistency. Master of Etherium can be good, but only in match-ups where you don't have to worry about sweepers from the opponent. This deck does not play like Affinity. You are not a rush-em-Aggro-style of deck. The list does not have as many random free artifacts (Artifact Lands, Springleaf Drum etc.) as Affinity so your Masters will never be as big or as good as in Affinity, unless you have already popped a Hangarback Walker for 5+ but in that case you have 5+ Thopters, just kill your opponent.

Sai has only been released today, so probably very little testing has been done with him so far. I think he will be stronger in a Tezzerator style deck then in here. First there's the splash/consistency issue again. Than he does not play well with the way the deck wants to curve out. You want to play T1 disruption, T2 Overseer, T3 2 artifact creatures in the best case scenario. In order to do so, you will need to often play you're artifact acceleration early before you have the time to play Sai. He doesn' fit well into the curve outlined. If you play him on T2, your Overseer won't be active till T4. If you play him on T3 after Overseer or Hangarback, you further reduce the pay off you gain from the ability. Also Sai himself is not an artifact creature, so it has negative synergy with Overseer and Ravager. There is a reason why the deck plays zero non-artifact spells.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

All valid points!

Didn't realize this was already a thread.

Vintage Ravager Shops is dominating whereas in legacy, the deck completely failed to launch.

I think the deck should stick as close to Vintage Ravager Shops (and Dragon Stompy) as possible, stay low casting cost and play tons of disruption, if it wants to make a mark on the format...

Here is what I would go with...

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Lotus Petal

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Foundry Inspector
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Metalworker
    2 Walking Ballista

Other cards to consider...
    Chief of the Foundry
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Umejawa's Jitte
    Tangle Wire
    Fleetwheel Cruiser
    Karn, Scion of Urza

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Didn't realize this was already a thread.

Vintage Ravager Shops is dominating whereas in legacy, the deck completely failed to launch.

I think the deck should stick as close to Vintage Ravager Shops (and Dragon Stompy) as possible, stay low casting cost and play tons of disruption, if it wants to make a mark on the format...

Here is what I would go with...

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Lotus Petal

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Foundry Inspector
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Metalworker
    2 Walking Ballista

Other cards to consider...
    Chief of the Foundry
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Umejawa's Jitte
    Tangle Wire
    Fleetwheel Cruiser
    Karn, Scion of Urza
    What do you mean by "completely failed to launch"? It's already a good legacy deck and it's been putting up decent results both pre- and post-ban:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Probe-Banning

Quote Originally Posted by Johanovich View Post
    What do you mean by "completely failed to launch"? It's already a good legacy deck and it's been putting up decent results both pre- and post-ban:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Probe-Banning
    Just ignore him.... He also claims that the way to go is to stay with low casting costs while at the same time posting a list that has 8 3drops and 12 4drops resulting in an average converted mana cost of 1,93 while dropping down to 16 land + 6 mana artifacts...

Just for comparisons sake to show how absurd his post is: the more standard lists run 0-2 3drops (Etched Champion) and 4-6 4drops (Lodestone Golem and sometims Karn, Scion of Urza) resulting in an average converted mana cost of about 1,2 and still playing 21 lands + 6mana artifacts... He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Hey Everyone,

Went 3-1 last night with a fairly unorthodox list as I wanted to test some cards that I haven't seen listed by anyone and so far they have felt amazing.

Here are the match-ups
    2-0/2-1 (I can't remember): Black Eldrazi
    2-0: Rug Delver
    2-0: Lands
    1-2: S&S

Here's the list

4x Steel overseer
    4x Ravager
    4x walking ballista
    2x Revoker
    1x Vault Skirge
    2x Traxos
    2x hangarback walker
    2x Smuggler's Copter

3x Karn Scion of Urza

4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Jitte
    3x Mox Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Wasteland
    4x Mishra's Factory
    1x Inventor's Fair
    3x Darksteel citadel

Karn is the real deal as many of us have concluded to, I think it is essential to play darksteel citadel especially with more goyfs running around as it grows our token by 1 (which has a large significance)

I have stated my opinion here before, but I played with mox diamonds instead of opals because opals have consistently under-performed for me in the past. Mox diamond helps us a lot to bust out T1 Chalices and T2 Karns very consistently.

Smuggler's copter was an MVP that night, the extra card filtering is very relevant in a deck that otherwise has no card selection. To be able to turn lands into threats and vice-versa when needed gives some resilience against hate.

Jitte was very great against the RUG delver and eldrazi match ups

Traxos has been win more so far, usually by the time i resolve him I have already won the game. I want to test more with him, as I did get a concessional win from just resolving him when hell bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanovich View Post

Personally I don't like the looter scooter. I've tried it for a while before switching to champion. I thought the idea of shutting something down with revoker and then using that revoker to crew was great, but I ended up not really liking the card because it costs more with thorns and often got stuck in my hand because everything else just felt better to cast. I'm ok with paying extra for a jitte because that card is just bonkers as soon as it gets active, but the same cannot be said for copter in my opinion.
    That's a fair opinion, I've been actually playing it turn 1 more often than I'd expected, only to follow it up with revoker-swing-loot, and then another 2 drop. I only play 2 which I think is the perfect number. The flying is super nice since it can carry a jitte over goyfs while getting some real damage in to race. But honestly, the card selection helps with the mid game grind a ton.

Jul 2018
    Chicago, IL

What's the plan if white decks start packing Stony Silence. It seems like DnT and Maverick may be on the rise. Obv they need to play around their vials and equipment. But miracles could also jam Stony. Do we just ignore it and beat with construct tokens from karn and golems?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Lamp View Post
    What's the plan if white decks start packing Stony Silence. It seems like DnT and Maverick may be on the rise. Obv they need to play around their vials and equipment. But miracles could also jam Stony. Do we just ignore it and beat with construct tokens from karn and golems?
    Aside from the fact that anyone can play Null Rod; you do what any good aggro deck does and beat them to death. Also DnT isn't likely to play Null Rod, far more likely to come out of a Delver deck or even miracles than DnT/Maverick.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Thread Information