Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

I think the meta has shifted to a Point, where the man of steel Need to pack a lot of etched Champions

I think 3 can be the right number

Good against sfm and rug delver and it also Forces Terminus out of miracles

Jul 2018
    Chicago, IL

@barachai - thanks for that feedback. I took a 5 year hiatus from legacy and had a brain fart on one of the staple cards of the format.

@Man of Steel - I've been running 2 champs for the last few weeks. I rode them to victor in a few games 2 weekends ago at a team event. One time I even came from behind by making my metamorph a copy of batterskull and then equipping to champ to survive an onslaught of white creatures. I'm unsure if 2 or 3 is the right number because you could have draws with champ, champ, skirge, chalice, land, land, sol land. If chalice is forced or dazed, the hand doesn't do much in terms of slowing down opponents. Sadly, will probably be run over / be a turn or 2 too slow compared to other decks. But I do really like champ in the grindier matchups.

What list would you play with 3 champs?

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Picked the deck up online w/ some extra tix. Just went 4-1 losing to moon stompy which feels like a positive matchup - however I punted a game and got locked under a bridge.

Should I be bringing in my bridges for RUG Delver?

[IMG][/IMG]

If you're looking into some ideas for a variation of the deck for this weekend, this is what I'm piloting in the last few days, with great success including a few 4-1s and one 5-0:

Will probably post another 5-0 next week with the same list.

I'm no longer carrying Karn since the format is way faster: Show and Tell, RUG Delver, Storm, Elves.... sheez. I had a rough time adjusting after the bans, but I think the online metagame has stabilized and this version of the deck is what seems most suitable for it.

It's pretty obvious that my main concern is curving the Show and Tell matchup, with 11 sideboard cards.

I ditched Leyline for Faerie Macabre because the Fae also helps on the RUG matchup by making the goyfs/mongeese smaller, or by purging an ancient grudge

i think the last two lists posted pay not enough respect to red sneak attack, sneak & Show or storm.
    in my opinion, this deck Needs thorn in the main and i think that etched Champion is better aginst tarmogoyf and sfm than the walker

i have one question, how good was chief of the foundry? I think about a couple of platings

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    i think the last two lists posted pay not enough respect to red sneak attack, sneak & Show or storm.
    in my opinion, this deck Needs thorn in the main and i think that etched Champion is better aginst tarmogoyf and sfm than the walker
    Are you still playing your MKM list in the new format? I'm gonna start a league with that 75 and I'll post back.

Funny enough I just grabbed that previous list from Qernavak and played it to a 4-1 finish without ever touching the deck before. It seemed good but I drew pretty hot.

• I'll confess Red Sneak Attack is almost nonexistent in the mtgo metagame, so I didn't tune the above list with that specific deck in mind.
    • There's a lot of respect for Sneak & Show: MD - 3x Revokers, 1x Karakas; Post sideboard: +11 cards: +1 Karakas, +1 Revoker, +3 Spyglass, +2 Thorns, +4 Meteor Golem. This strategy has won me almost every post sideboard game vs. Sneak and Show
    • I agree, I have disrespected storm by not having main thorns and only 2 thorns in the sideboard, and no ratchet bomb at all. But I had to optimize for the narrow presence of Storm in the mtgo metagame. On the other hand, the 4 chalices, and 3 revokers in the main ensure that this matchup is still favored towards Steel Stompy.

• There is way too many creature decks around nowadays, which is way I decided to cut Thorns. Delver with Daze backup and wasteland follow up seems to be the play du jour. If the metagame shifts towards more sneak and show, miracles, storm, then I would definitely bring Thorns back, and perhaps into the main.
    • I agree that Etched Champion is better vs. Goyf and SFM. On the other hand, I have been favorable in the Goyf matchups. I do have trouble with SFM, and usually rely on the combination of Walker/Ravager to solve me that problem. I have tried Etched Champion and I do like it a lot; my one big gripe is that it would require Equipment cards to make maximum use of it, and I haven't had much success lately with that strategy.

i have one question, how good was chief of the foundry? I think about a couple of platings
    • Chief of the Foundry has been... just good enough. Think about activating Overseer just once... that's how it feels. It is specially good after dropping a Skirge on turn 1 and follow it up with a Chief. It also makes your Ballistas survive after dealing with pesky threat, and the ability to recharge. My favorite thing about it is that it tilts the miracles matchup towards your favor: in this matchup you are require to not overextend your board, and doing so with any of your 1/1s is so slow and usually would mean eventual defeat. But Chief itself has more power, plus I can sometimes overextend because I know that I would get my value worth since all other creatures get the instant boost. Not to mention that with 8 creature lands, the miracles player need to deal with Chief as soon as possible.
    • Are you thinking about Cranial Plating?

I'm not sure that I like Meteor Golem over Ensnaring Bridge as a whole. Golem is almost only relevant vs the card Show and Tell, whereas Bridge can come down preemptively to answer Sneak Attack. Bridge also gives you game against Marit Lage, and can be boarded in against decks who just have big dudes if wanted. I don't think being better against specifically S&T into Omniscience is worth the loss in versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by aromaticity View Post
    I'm not sure that I like Meteor Golem over Ensnaring Bridge as a whole. Golem is almost only relevant vs the card Show and Tell, whereas Bridge can come down preemptively to answer Sneak Attack. Bridge also gives you game against Marit Lage, and can be boarded in against decks who just have big dudes if wanted. I don't think being better against specifically S&T into Omniscience is worth the loss in versatility.
    I very much agree with you. To your last statement, there's a big asterisk, and that's "unless" S&T is a big percent of your meta. In my case, it is.

The problem I had with Ensnaring Bridge vs. Sneak and Show was that it didn't do enough. Yes, if they go SnT>Emrakul it was good, but in reality, they went SnT> Griselbrand, draw 7 then Abrade the bridge>win. Not to mention that either playing the Bridge or playing around the bridge meant that sometimes I had to curve the growth of my own creatures to stay below the bridge level, or the tempo lost by casting the bridge. So now I rely entirely on Golem to be "the" answer vs. SnT. Not to mention I have 9 post sideboard options to deal with Sneak Attack, in 4 revokers, 3 splyglass and 2 Karakas.

I completely agree that this "adjustment" comes with a great sacrifice of not having Bridge on other good matchups, like the ones you have just mentioned. But on the other hand, in the last 80 or so matches played, I have faced about 15-18% consistent Sneak and Show, while maybe 1 or 2 instances of TurboDepths and 1 or 2 of Lands.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07...?cb=1532716129

Here's the list I'm thinking of playing going forward. Changes from what I was playing before are -1 HBW, -1 Thorn, -1 Mox for +1 land, +2 Etched Champion. Sideboard I have +1 Karakas +1 Warping Wail -2 Spellskite, which I'm kind of unsure of.

I like 3x Petal to increase our chance of playing a two drop on turn one. Opal can't really do this unless you already have a petal - it acts more like a land than petal does. So -1 mox +1 land is me hedging a bit more for post-board games against fair decks where I'd rather have more actual lands than opal effects I think, without sacrificing the T1 chalice factor of petal.

Trimming a Thorn is kind of the same idea - just sets us up for slightly better G1s against fair decks. I liked Champion and HBW in the deck as cards which really shine against fair decks. Overall I think I prefer HBW for various reasons - I'd rather have a two drop than a three drop, it's better vs fliers, it's better vs unfair decks and gives us sick combo potential with ravager. However, Etched can hold back cards like Goyf and KotR forever and is also really solid against opposing equipment. So for now I'll try 2x each.

It's definitely possible I'll miss having Spellskite, though I haven't really gotten much use out of the card so far. I have wanted just a removal spell, so maybe Dismember is a consideration.

@ quernavak:

My local metagame consists mostly of Miracles, Reanimator, Red snaek, Sfm UW, Red prison, burn, rug delver , storm and goblins

So i think thorn is very good

Tomorrow i will Play 4 thorn and one Golem maindeck. I will also split the chief and the plating. I will Adept my Sideboard in putting in another spyglas up to three, but i think leylines are still better than macabre. I mean only marginal better

Hangarback walker has underperformed for me because of Stp

But in the end i am happy that the core of my deck can produce so maNy great decks,

I am very unhappy with my ratchet boms in the sb.

What do you guys Play to get pithing needle, spyglasses and Bridge of the table??

Agreed, Ratched Bomb feels awful. A lot of the things we want to remove are CMC 2, meaning in order to remove an opposing Spyglass we have to usually wipe our own board.

I don't really think there's a better option, though. Mostly I just accept that opposing Revokers/Spyglasses are really good against me. A lot of Bridge decks I've been facing have been exceptionally durdley so I've had time to tick up or find a combo kill with Ballista.

I am very unhappy with my ratchet boms in the sb.

What do you guys Play to get pithing needle, spyglasses and Bridge of the table??
    Quote Originally Posted by aromaticity View Post
    Agreed, Ratched Bomb feels awful. A lot of the things we want to remove are CMC 2, meaning in order to remove an opposing Spyglass we have to usually wipe our own board.

I don't really think there's a better option, though. Mostly I just accept that opposing Revokers/Spyglasses are really good against me. A lot of Bridge decks I've been facing have been exceptionally durdley so I've had time to tick up or find a combo kill with Ballista.
    I've never played the deck so this is just from an outsider's perspective, but is it not feasible to play Disenchant effects from the SB, given the Mox Opals, Lotus Petals, and Karakas? Or is it that you want a sweeper more than you want spot removal for those problematic permanents?

Quote Originally Posted by LOLWut View Post
    I've never played the deck so this is just from an outsider's perspective, but is it not feasible to play Disenchant effects from the SB, given the Mox Opals, Lotus Petals, and Karakas? Or is it that you want a sweeper more than you want spot removal for those problematic permanents?
    To reliably cast a colored spell, you would need at least 13 mana sources. If you have:

4 Ancient Den
    4 Mox Opal/Lotus Petal/Mox Diamond

The above fit in the available flex slots.

Then we still need 5 sources of colored mana. Those sources would push out fixed slots, such as wasteland/factory. <-- to me this is when the conflict begins when looking into colored spells. Because now I have to figure out whether adding the color would make the deck stronger, when compared to the slots I'm removing. It because a juggle between powerful cards that I can cast vs. powerful cards that *sometimes* I can cast. Therefore the colored cards need to be >>> than the colorless. And the power is not necessarily a "strictly better" sort of thing, it is as you suggests "metagame based". If I really need to maindeck disenchant, then this particular card may be much more powerful than other cards in the deck, therefore making the switch worthwhile. But the problem is that there is no such situation, and you are almost always better off not including colored spells. Or in other words, sometimes the math says that one needs to concede a certain matchup in order to have an overall win% higher than if one tuned the deck to be able to beat that one matchup.

Makes sense. I wasn't sure how big of an emergency the Bridge/Needle/Spyglass problem was.

@Qervanak:

Totally agree with your comments about colored sources. I`ve tinkered with a blue splash, but making the mana worked weakend the decks overall performence to much.

Here is my current list:
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Vault Skirge
    3 Etched Champion 22
    1 Chief of the Foundry 23

2 Mox Opal
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Welding Jar
    4 Thorn of Amythist
    1 Cranial Plating
    4 Chalice of the Void 17

Lands (20):

2 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Inventor`s Fair
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:

3 Sorceress Spyglasses
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Ratchet Bomb

At the moment i would definetly stay away from playing Lodestone Golem. It messes up the mana (far less messing up, than a colorsplash) and the real decks, whre the golem is needed are gone (Food chain, every 4 color pile, grixis delver)

Hello guys. I Try this list

Creatures [25]

3 Lodestone Golem
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Vault Skirge
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista

Artifacts [13]

2 Mox Diamond (don't have opal)
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void

Lands [22]

2 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard [15]

1 Dismember
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Thorn of Amethyst

Any ideas ?

Picking back the deck for GP Richmond. I think it's the best Chalice/Wasteland option available. I'll try to rent some cards to play it online a bit.

@Man of Steel - any feedbacks from Cranial plating? Is it better than SoFi or Jitte? Do you miss Spellskite in the SB?

I dont miss spellskite, because i have 2 Welding jar, which are better positioned at the Moment in my opinion

Plating is ok and definetly better than sofi and jitte, but i am thinking about playing 2 chief of the foundries instead. In my current list 10 Cards to Support Champions, skirges and the rest of the Crew felt very good to me

Thread Information