Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Unless you want to draw multiple Revokers in each game, you can trim one for an additional Champion or Walker. For the utility lands, 2 Karakas and 20 Lands would be my choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by baboontilt View Post
    Decided to hang up Lands and go back to Stompy for Eternal Weekend. There seems to be a lot of divergence as of late, a couple discussion points:

* What utility land package are you guys using now? I've seen the original Karakas + Fair, Blinkmoth Nexi, Darksteel Citadel, even Rishadan Port. I would certainly keep at least 1 Karakas, and am leaning towards 2. Do you prefer 20 land/4 petal/3 mox or 21/4/2?

* Fewer Revokers. With DRS banned it's more difficult to blind hit, but having 4 MD Revokers won me a lot of matches - I'm reluctant to trim.

* Golem/Karn/Etched Champion. What split are you guys on? I've had a lot of trouble with DnT, so I definitely want at least a couple Champions.

* Equipment in the main - I'm leaning towards 1 Jitte if anything, but unsure.

* Hangarback - I had cut them initially, but they are nice against Grixis/edicts in general. Thoughts?

* Welding Jar/Spellskite in the main - I think I'd generally prefer to run Hangarback in this slot, but Jar does help with Opal.

* Vault Skirge - I am hesitant to cut the lifegain package, but have seen many lists doing so.

Here is a tentative list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    1 Inventor's Fair
    1 Blinkmoth Nexus

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Jitte

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Vault Skirge
    2 Etched Champion
    1 Hangarback Walker

SB
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    I'm currently on this list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Inventor's Fair
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    1 Karakas

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Etched Champion
    2 Hangarback Walker

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

3 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

So far been happy with this list.

I've found d&t to be a very doable matchup, which is mainly thanks to chalice (blanking stp and vial on the play is major in this matchup), champion and ballista. Most d&t lists play fewer revokers of their own which means that ballista is just that much more of a beating.

No equipment in the main anymore because spending mana to equip just to get it removed sucks.

I've never been big on hangarback, but I think you really need it now more than ever vs grixis control. I would much rather have hangarback over welding jar because jar is another potential dead card later in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by quadich View Post
    true but as i said aggressive starts still do not work vs. grixis control. and may or may not br good vs. miracles (which are the two actual tier1 decks in the format right now).

mox opal is de facto a lot weaker in the mid/late game than mind stone since it cannot be used to draw a card.

personally i think mox opal is okay in a meta where being aggressive is key or when you are splashing a colour in some way.

again i think the de facto weakness is that mox opal is not always online and is usually turned off when we dont control creatures.
    I actually disagree with your statement that aggressive starts do not work against grixis control. In my experience if you get to go wide early you can often push through enough damage before they can stabilize properly. Ravager, hangarback and champion are pivotal in doing this with champion or ballista very often providing the reach for closing the game out. The other option is to try and grind them out with lockpieces, hangarback and especially karn. If you manage to resolve karn without them having a significant boardpresence you pretty much just outgrind them. Thorn has been stellar in the matchup as well, sometimes being better than chalice by making them choose what to do with their earlier turns as they can't function very efficiently when nearly everything costs more.

I agree that mox opal is weak in mid/late game, but I also think it's a lot better when played together with darksteel citadel for enabling metalcraft early. When you have a citadel in play, metalcraft is so much easier to maintain which is also very important for champion. The option to pay for skirge without paying 2 life has also been relevant sometimes.

Ended up going an unexciting 7-4, went with this list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    1 Inventor's Fair
    1 Blinkmoth Nexus

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Jitte

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Vault Skirge
    2 Etched Champion
    2 Hangarback Walker

SB
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza

Matchups were:

r1: W vs. 4-color Delver blade w/ TNN and Leovold
    r2: W vs. UW Stoneblade
    r3: W vs. Death & Taxes
    r4: W vs. Maverick
    r5: L vs. Rb Goblins
    r6: L vs. UW blade w/ AK & Lots of Jaces/TNN
    r7: L vs. Eldrazi Post (Candelabra build)
    r8: W vs. Storm
    r9: W vs. Turbodepths
    r10: L vs. Grixis Control
    r11: W vs. UR Delver

Wanted Darksteel Citadel a few times, but Karakas, Blinkmoth, and Fair each won me several games. Could see going -1 Petal -1 Karakas + 2 Citadel.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Hey, man. I honestly think you would have beaten me if I wasnt acutely aware of what you were trying to do. I was your rd 6 opponent. I swear, only 2 jaces. I will have my tourney report up soon. You will see what i was thinking in the match. Dont be too down! I always root for my colorblind bretheren!
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Made another top 8, same list as last time.
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20540&d=335068&f=LE
    Won vs eldrazi, grixis control and food chain. ID for last two rounds to get in the top 8 in the 3rd seat, won in the QF from RUG delver and lost in the semi's to infect.

R1 vs eldrazi stompy (2-1)
    G1 mull to 5, decent hand but he has 3 removal spells for my creatures so I get smashed to death.
    In: 3 bridge, 1 jitte, 2 sorcerous spyglass, 2 ratchet bomb
    Out: 4 chalice, 4 thorn

G2 keep solid 7, waste his temple and land a skirge. He plays eye of ugin but the mana setback is enough to allow me to equip a jitte and connect. Next turn I play bridge and he scoops.
    G3 I have a quick karn to get some extra cards. He lands reshaper and thought-knot (taking ballista) for some early damage and disruption. I have ravager, factory and spyglass. I know he has only 2 smasher in hand but is short on mana. When he attacks with thought-knot and reshaper I block thought-knot with factory and reshaper with ravager. Sac the spyglass to ravager and then ravager to himself to put the counters on factory to make it a 5/5 when blocking to kill thought-knot (in the process preventing potential extra mana by not killing reshaper). I follow up in my turn with bridge and he scoops soon after when more creatures land on my side.

R2 vs grixis control (2-0)
    G1 I get some early disruption in the form of chalice. Ravager meets a force of will but ballista plus skirge provide some steady damage as I get to pump ballista to kill strix and swing in each turn. After a while I finish it off with a second ballista to attack and subsequently shoot for lethal.
    In: 2 karn, 3 spyglass, 2 bomb
    Out: 3 revoker, 4 skirge

G2 I get a thorn in play early which greatly hampers his development. After I get a hangarback to stick for a few turns he has to deluge to get rid of my board but I get three thopters to keep swinging. Shortly after I stick champion and ravager to keep pressuring him. He gets two strix and a Liliana on the board but ravager provides the necessary shenanigans to get around his blockers and Liliana activations. I end up with 2 thopters, a 6/6 champion, opal and thorn in play and he has to have exactly kholaghan’s command plus 1 mana removal to stop me from killing him (he’s at 1 and has 5 mana available). He brainstorms so I know I’ve won.

R3 vs food chain (2-1)
    G1 I get a T1 chalice going but he forces my T2 thorn. I get an overseer going with ravager, skirge and factory in play and he can't keep up.
    In: 2 ratchet bomb, 2 spyglass, 1 jitte
    Out: 2 hangarback walker, 1 karn, 1 etched champion, 1 vault skirge

G2 he plays engineered plague and I respond by saccing my opal to ravager to make it a 2/2 but he names construct. This turned out to be a mistake on my part as he manages to get food chain in play and make 40 million mana to cast two ballistas (each 10 million/10 million). I have spyglass on ballista but by saccing the opal earlier I'm 1 mana short for searching bomb and playing it in the same turn to blow both of his ballista up. He topdecks trinket mage to get explosives so he can get rid of my spyglass.
    G3 he mulls to 4, I have chalice and later thorn to prevent him from doing much during the early turns. He gets 2 lands in play but because of the combination of thorn and chalice he can't cast explosives in a meaningful way (cast for 0 means it gets 1 counter, casting it for 1 would get 2 counters but runs it into chalice). My clock is rather slow but it gets there.

R4 ID against enchantress
    We play some games for fun and it’s very clear that this matchup comes 100% down to: do I have the thorn and chalice in the first few turns or not.
    R5 ID against RUG delver
    We also play a game for fun which I convincingly win even without chalice or thorn.

QF against RUG delver (team mate) (2-1)
    G1 I mulligan to 5 and get manascrewed by wasteland. By the time I find my mana he has true-name and goyf and I’m at 7.
    In: 1 jitte, 3 bridge, 2 ratchet bomb
    Out: 2 hangarback, 1 karn, 3 revoker

G2 he mulligans to 6, I get T1 chalice, he manages to stall me with double wasteland but eventually I find more mana en nearly everything I play represents a problem for him. I keep up bridge in case he manages to stabilize but this turns out to be unnecessary.
    G3 he mulligans to 5, I mulligan to 6. I stick chalice and thorn but he has double wasteland to keep me from doing anything for a number of turns while he draws mana. Chalice is removed and the game ends up going long but I am gaining a lot of life with skirge and fair. Eventually I make a 3/3 skirge with ravager which gets the final points of damage through. In retrospect I probably should have made it a 4/4 because of bolt but luckily I didn’t get punished for this.

SF against infect (team mate who ended up winning the tournament) (1-2)
    G1 I have a superfast clock and manage to kill him before taking a lot of poison.
    In: 1 jitte, 2 ratchet bomb, 3 sorcerous spyglass
    Out: 2 hangarback, 1 karn, 1 champion, 1 vault skirge, 1 revoker

G2 he starts with trop into noble, I resolve thorn and it turns out he does not have a follow-up but I am also a bit stuck on mana because of city + multiple wasteland. We enter a weird game where I repeatedly try to stop his mana with wasteland or revoker only to get the land crop rotated or my revoker dazed. He eventually gets double blighted agent in play and manages to kill me the turn before I swing back for lethal.
    G3 I have a hand of double chalice, double thorn, ravager and the possibility to play one of them on turn 1 so I keep. I resolve chalice and thorn but he has blighted agent again and pumps it to a 9/9. I do not find ballista so I die to the unblockable poison. Turns out ballista was my next topdeck so it was right on his part to go for it there.

Still happy with most of the deck, however I feel the third spyglass in the sideboard might be a bit too much. I might end up switching this back to a spellskite or something else like warping wail or dismember.

Took the below list to my LGS for a small 20-ish people tournament, 4 rounds and a 3-0-1 finish.

The maindeck is geared for the grindy matchups, which have a big metagame presence in my area. Combo-hate for specifics in SB.

Steel Stompy

Creatures:20
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer

Spells:19
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza

Lands:22
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Confusion in the Ranks

Round 1 vs Steel Stompy (mirror but with colors)

Lost the die roll and got stomped by an Overseer and two Skirges, on to next game.

Games 2 & 3 were both won by a turn 2 Karn with Ballista and Copter backup. He tried to fight back with a couple of Daretti Ingenious Iconoclast and some support creatures, which got shot down handily. A miser chalice @2 sealed game 3.

(1-0)

Round 2 vs Infect

Lost the die roll again. Game 1 was a fairly easy win due to a chalice@1 on turn 1 after his T1 cantrip. Some beaters from my side went to town.

Game 2 I couldn't answer his Blighted agent, which got pumped to oblivion.

Game 3 I once again chaliced @ 1, he deployed an Inkmoth Nexus and a Blighted Agent, but the rest of his hand was cmc 1... so my army of Copters and Constructs took him out quickly.

(2-0)

Round 3 vs Antiquities War (Blue stompy shell)

Lost the die roll again, come on! Game 1... I went Turn 1 Copter. He played a turn 2 chalice @2, it didn't matter much as he couldn't handle the assault from a duo of pumped Hangarbacks and a Copter ditching cmc2-spells. In fear of Ensnaring Bridge I kept my team at 3 power while watching his hand size.

Game 2 i got locked out by a turn 1 Sphere of Resistance followed by Crucible/Waste. No spells for me except a couple of taxed moxen.

Game 3 I started with Turn 1 Tomb -> Copter, Mox D, Mox O, Overseer... Turn 2 Mishra -> Crew Copter, activate Overseer. Turn 3 Karn. Enough said.

(3-0)

Round 4 vs Aggro Loam

Knowing my opponent and what he was playing made me feel uneasy, as this can be a rough ride for us.

Lost the die roll, obviously, I suck at this. Got a good start with Tomb into Copter and started grinding at his life total, Revoked a Liliana and kept up the beats. Some trades were made and in the end we were both hellbent. He drew a Knight, then a Maze of Ith. Knight into Cabal Pit at Revoker and Asassins Trophy on an Overseer ended me.

Game 2 I had a good 7 with multiple Karns and many Sol Lands. A single Wasteland did nothing vs me and I made some stupid decisions that didn't matter at all. Easy win.

Game 3 was a difficult one. He attacked my manabase with Waste and Quarter while deploying Knights... meanwhile I resolved Hangarback and Overseer. Got a few tokens from a killed Hangarback, which I had to use as blockers to his duo of 10/10 knights. At one point I had the opportunity to deal 16 damage when I landed a Ravager, unfortunately he was at 18 (so close). Had to play defense on low mana as he landed a Tabernacle. It ended in time over and a draw.

(3-0-1)

Split for 1st and some store credit. Fun games this time around! I wasn't too impressed with Karakas or Blinkmoth and I'm pondering on replacing some of these with lands that generate more card draw... Throne of the High City comes to mind.

Regarding my choice of running Mox Diamond over Lotus Petal. A hand of land + petal is a mulligan, the same as land + Mox D. I prefer the continous mana over the temporary, also leaves something for Ravager to eat. Smuggler's Copter felt really good overall and I was always happy to see one.
    Last edited by Tucane; 11-23-2018 at 04:52 PM.

@Johanovich

I am surprised you were lucky to avoid Miracles matchups. In my tests this is almost unwinnable matchup. Back to Basics just owns us, Terminus closes the game. With a lot of cantrips moved from 1cc to 2cc our CoTV do not hinder them a lot.
    I wish I could ignore it but unfrotunately Miracles is T1 deck and quite popular. Also decks with Price of Progress are quite troublesome.

What is your experience against Miracles? Did you happen to find any reliable strategy or sideboard card? May be Winter Orb can help us?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoclasm View Post
    @Johanovich

I am surprised you were lucky to avoid Miracles matchups. In my tests this is almost unwinnable matchup. Back to Basics just owns us, Terminus closes the game. With a lot of cantrips moved from 1cc to 2cc our CoTV do not hinder them a lot.
    I wish I could ignore it but unfrotunately Miracles is T1 deck and quite popular. Also decks with Price of Progress are quite troublesome.

What is your experience against Miracles? Did you happen to find any reliable strategy or sideboard card? May be Winter Orb can help us?
    Miracles is a pretty horrendous matchup if they are on the straight UW back to basics plan. This is (in my opinion) a matchup that became worse by cutting lodestone golem as it provided both a fast clock and disruption.

The main thing to have a chance is to have thorn in play, a T1 thorn can really slow them down a lot and if you manage to stick a chalice or a second thorn in the next few turns you have a really good chance of killing them before they can stabilize. CoTV still hits at least 12 cards in ponder, brainstorm and STP, so it's definitely not bad as it prevents them from developing in the early turns, stops them from putting terminus back with BS while also preventing spot removal.
    Karn is also an important card in this matchup as he provides continuous card advantage and pressure. Similarly manlands and champion are good because they're relatively hard to deal with.

Winter orb is an interesting idea, I think I'll give it a spin in the next testing sessions.

If you want to go really hardcore on them you could try jamming a few chokes (with a forest in the manabase to have a basic as well for back to basics). I'd love to see people's faces when an artifact deck casually drops choke and proceeds to beat face from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanovich View Post
    The main thing to have a chance is to have thorn in play, a T1 thorn can really slow them down a lot and if you manage to stick a chalice or a second thorn in the next few turns you have a really good chance of killing them before they can stabilize.
    Do you think that Thorn of Amethyst is good even in g2 against Miracles? I know that is a side out against them.

-

About the latest lists of Steel Stompy, Gen Shinohara hits the 12th place at GP Shizuoka.

1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Lodestone Golem
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Mox Opal
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Throne of the High City
    4 Wasteland
    2 Wastes

Sideboard:
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Spellskite
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Leyline of the Void

Why two Wastes instead of Darksteel Citadel? I know that Back to Basics is good against us, but are two copies of Wastes good enough to cast the last cards to win before Miracles goes in total control?

In the list below I would side like that:
    - 4 Petals
    - 2 Mox (the game is long usually and quick start doesnt matter)

+1 Karn
    +2 Bombs
    +2 Sorcerous spyglass
    +1 Jitte

As for GP Shizuoka list in general:
    Personally I don't like 4 petals and only 2 moxen, from my perspective 3-3 is much better: you want to hit at least 1 mox in the beginning and 1shot mana is only needed for metalcraft and swarming the board on the second turn.

As much as I like neat solutions like Throne, it doesn't belong to that list. 2 Darksteel citadel are much more important to enable metalcraft, to provide counters for Ravager and serve as wasteproof source at the same time.
    Wastes singleton can be used though, I think.

I'm pretty certain the 2 Wastes are meant for Assasins Trophy, Ghost Quarter and to some extent Veteran Explorer. Sure they help vs B2B aswell, but drawing enough of them in time vs miracles requires too much luck to be consistent.

Throne of the High City might seem clunky, but it does a pretty good job in the lategame where we sometimes run out of cards vs grindy decks.

As a sidenote, Smuggler's Copter deserves more love, looting attached to a flyer fits nicely into this deck... it has served me well in drawing the right cards in time while keeping up pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post
    Why two Wastes instead of Darksteel Citadel? I know that Back to Basics is good against us, but are two copies of Wastes good enough to cast the last cards to win before Miracles goes in total control?
    To be honest if you're going to play basics, just pick regular basics. The deck does not need actual colorless mana and using either swamps (for skirge) or other basics like plains at least provide some extra angle for sideboard cards. Like for example this list that recently made top 8 in Belgium: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20675&d=336231&f=LE

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    3 Plains
    4 Wasteland

4 Arcbound Ravager
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Hangarback Walker
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Walking Ballista

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Cranial Plating
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

SIDEBOARD

2 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Spellskite
    2 Winter Orb

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Johanovich View Post
    I'm currently on this list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mishra's factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Inventor's Fair
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    1 Karakas

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Etched Champion
    2 Hangarback Walker

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

3 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    Played this list today except Jitte over Karn and SB was a bit different. I had Tormod's Crypt because mine look nice and they go well with Opals and Ravagers and such. Went 3-1-1 (ID) to top 8. We split T8 to eat. Beat Dnt, Lost to Dnt, Beat GB Depths, Beat Imperial Painter, Drew with Elves.

DnT
    G1 I got a Revoker on his vial and he cast Thalia and that was it and he got run over by Vault Skirges and an Etched Champion.
    G2 he plains pass. I Tomb into Overseer. He plays SFM for Jitte and passes. I go Opal, Skirge, Skirge, Overseer activate my first one. I completely run him over before Jitte matter at all. Even had a Warping Wail just in case.

DnT
    G1 He stabilizes after I draw somewhat poorly and can't pressure him enough. He gets revoker on my Ravager and his flickerwisp hits my 3 counter Hangarback and I get fukt
    G2 More of the same. I misplay with my warping wail and get revokered again and can't mount a proper offense before he gets Jitte going

Depths
    G1 I get Ravager and 2 Ballista. I ravager to make Ballista a 5/5 and survive combat. I keep wasteland up while I'm attacking but he finds decay for my 5/5 and I just have my 1/1 left. Fortunately He's low on life and a Skirge off the top with the ballista get there.
    G2 He makes a Bob and I ballista it. He makes a second bob then a third bob. The game draws long. I have Spyglass on Stage, chalice on 1, revoker on Hexmage with 2 Ensnaring Brdge in hand. Luckily his bobs only flip 2 drops and my etched champion and vault skirge have been doing work on his life total and he dies.

Painter
    G1 He gets a Sin Prodder on T1 but I waste him on his turn 2 and he never draws a second land and I get him.
    G2 I get a chalice hand and have some pressure with a Ravager and Hangarback. He Abrades my Overseer but when he's tapped down after attacking with Smuggler's Copter I get him for exactly 10 with my 1 of Blinkmoth and all of my artifacts from Ravager.

Deck was pretty sick. First time I've ever played an Opal Ravager deck. I liked the power. Main board Thorn was pretty bad all day, but I get why it exists. All the combo players in the room got knocked out fairly quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sorry for double post, but has anyone ever thought about or tried a version that's kind of like affinity with some of the 0 drop dudes and maybe cradle for even more fast Mana? I just want to play Verderous Gearhulk with Walking Ballista mostly
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Sorry for double post, but has anyone ever thought about or tried a version that's kind of like affinity with some of the 0 drop dudes and maybe cradle for even more fast Mana? I just want to play Verderous Gearhulk with Walking Ballista mostly
    Green is actually my current go-to splash color for Steel Stompy, mostly due to SB Choke and Seal of Primordium. Haven't tried Cradle+Gearhulk yet, but I imagine we would need close to full sets of Ornithopter/Memnite to consistently enable it in the first 2 turns, also we would most likely need some additional CA to not end up hellbent and be dead to an early sweeper and/or some filtering to improve lategame with that many 0-drops.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    Green is actually my current go-to splash color for Steel Stompy, mostly due to SB Choke and Seal of Primordium. Haven't tried Cradle+Gearhulk yet, but I imagine we would need close to full sets of Ornithopter/Memnite to consistently enable it in the first 2 turns, also we would most likely need some additional CA to not end up hellbent and be dead to an early sweeper and/or some filtering to improve lategame with that many 0-drops.
    My initial list:

Green Affinity:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Hangarback Walker
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    2 Etched Champion
    2 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
    3 Verdurous Gearhulk
    2 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    1 Welding Jar
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Tree of Tales

It's rough. Maybe with the 0's glimpse is worth it? Harmonize?

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    My initial list:

Green Affinity:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Hangarback Walker
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    2 Etched Champion
    2 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
    3 Verdurous Gearhulk
    2 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    1 Welding Jar
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Tree of Tales

It's rough. Maybe with the 0's glimpse is worth it? Harmonize?
    Glimpse might be worth it since there is no Chalice, potentially nuts. Sylvan Library could work, but we lack shuffle effects... so we are dependant on Skirge if we want to use it aggressively.

Harmonize is 5 mana under a Thorn so it's likely too slow.

Btw, Cranial Plating seems nice with 10 evasive beaters. Might be worth it.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i tried this a while back (almost 2 years ago) but never really got any feedback on the thread:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1001586
    -rob

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i tried this a while back (almost 2 years ago) but never really got any feedback on the thread:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1001586
    Ha I'm the one who responded back then. I guess there's a virus on my head that wants to play this. Deck seems powerful in gold fishing, but I'm not sure how actually good it is in practice.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Ran this deck for the first time at a local weekly event. I'm a stompy player, but hadn't sleeved up Steel Stompy before. Deck seems very explosive and I wanted to give it a try. Ended up splitting 1st place.

Round 1 vs Infect:

Game 1 Chalice on 1 basically seals the deal. Game 2 an early Ratchet Bomb kills his sole threat and a Ballista on 2 ends the match.

1-0, 2-0

Round 2 vs MUD:

I got steamrolled game 1 by Metalworker and friends. Lots of dead cards on both sides of this matchup. Game 2 I had a Warping Wail to take care of his early Metalworker, which caused him to stumble just enough to close it out with my Golems. Game 3 was a grindy affair, but he mistakenly used Wasteland on my Mishra's Factory instead of a City of Traitors, which allowed me to Thought-Knot the following turn. Closed it out shortly thereafter.

2-0, 2-1

Round 3 vs Aluren:

This wasn't all that close. Lodestone and Thorn were huge here, making all of his shenanigans cost more. Creature beatdown took over from there.

3-0, 2-0

Round 4 vs Lands:

Intentionally draw to split prize for first.

Thread Information