Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 372

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

  1. #41
    Faerie Godfather

    Join Date

    Jul 2005
    Location

    Finland
    Posts

    1,693

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    Is there any gameplan against mass artifact hate such as Null Rod and Hurkyl's Recall
    If you see Hurkyl's Recall, you're in a weird meta indeed. Null Rod you can beat if it comes down a bit later and you've had the chance to already get a Ravager or so down and can make something big. This deck doesn't run on artifact mana sources so it's slightly less destroyed by Null Rod but of course, most of your cards are 2/X or 1/X with no abilities with it in play. Hence why a Ravager eating things and going to town (though Chalice might be equally backbreaking to your enemy). Energy Flux is much the same, you need to get one threat out there and ride it to victory. Seeds of Innocence & al. are much like Hurkyl except without the rebuilding opportunity, but with manlands you can generally leave something behind. Serenity is actually pretty slow so you can prepare for it. Ancient Grudge and company are eminently beatable cards you can play through; spot removal is pretty bad against Ravager much of the time and the Tax plan can make particularly the 3-mana hate cards unwieldy.

    But honestly, aside from a random Null Rod I'd expect the worst you have to put up with to be Ancient Grudge, Sorcerous Spyglass and Pithing Needle, which are much more tenable than the heavy duty artifact hate (since the only artifact presences in the meta are like this and MUD-variants, and neither are very popular so why the hell would someone spend SB space on Energy Flux or something...?).

  2. #42
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,822

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    The card I think you might actually see that hurts is Cursed Totem if your meta has a lot of Elves.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  3. #43
    Member
    MD.Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    363

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    I currently jam this version and it works quite well - coming from a lot of other stompy decks i am surprised that the little artifacts do their job and it also very good to grind out battles with all the cheap interaction, it adds up quickly.

    Compared to MKM version i also liked the 3rd Lodestone more than another Thorn, while Thorn is nice as a start it can do nothing in some matchups and simply is a bad topdeck in a lot of situations, Lodestone apply some pressure on its own and can be cast T2 too - in terms of higher cc or topdecks, smugglers copter to a ton of work, not only offers fast airstrikes, it also a nice filter draw engine and can be turned of with 1 mana-manland too!

    I can see what Amadeus meant by Strix/Tnn but Etched Champion (or even Jitte) can also do a lot of damage vs blue control decks. I currently try different one offs since if game enters stall/grind you can also use Inventors' Fair tutor quite often vs Miracle, C.Pile etc.

    // 60 Maindeck

    // 15 Artifact
    2 Mox Opal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Lotus Petal

    // 23 Creature
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    3 Lodestone Golem
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

    // 22 Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    2 Inventors' Fair
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Blinkmoth Nexus
    2 Karakas

    // 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 2 Etched Champion
    SB: 3 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    TEAM MtG Berlin

  4. #44
    In Response - Podcast
    hofzge's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Berne, Switzerland
    Posts

    171

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    How about a step into the other direction? I see you took out a little acceleration and added slower cards. How about adding something even more breakneck:

    3 Mox Opal
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst

    2 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Lupine Prototype
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    2 Inventors' Fair
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Karakas

    // 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    SB: 2 Lodestone Golem
    SB: 1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 4 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    Last edited by hofzge; 01-18-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    Chalice on 1

  5. #45

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    this so funny!!

    I actually tested etched champion and lupine prototype.

    The champion was to slow for because of the cc 3. But i am curious to hear what your impression of the card is and in whitch matchup you want them.

    For the prototype: My problem was that the prototype forces you to overextend into sweepers and also forces you to play lands even if you want to hold them in your hand. The Reason for holding lands can be the fear of price of progress or having a city out and not wanting to sac it

    Please let me know what your expieriences are

  6. #46
    Member
    Whitefaces's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2013
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,369

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    I played vs a friend on this deck at my lgs on Tuesday, looked very impressive. Look forward to giving it a go myself soon too, great job @Man of Steel!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

  7. #47
    Member
    MD.Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    363

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    this so funny!!

    I actually tested etched champion and lupine prototype.

    The champion was to slow for because of the cc 3. But i am curious to hear what your impression of the card is and in whitch matchup you want them.

    For the prototype: My problem was that the prototype forces you to overextend into sweepers and also forces you to play lands even if you want to hold them in your hand. The Reason for holding lands can be the fear of price of progress or having a city out and not wanting to sac it

    Please let me know what your expieriences are
    Etched Champion - it works well vs fair creature Decks with a bunch of smaller creatures (aka Bridge isnt great enough) and with Raver/Overseer/Equipment it can be quickly "GG" and its a good roadblock until you set up. Bonus Points for also dodge spot removal in most cases. I switch it with Lodestone or Revoker depends on what i face, cc3 is okay because you dont need it the early turns and if this deck can support other cc3 stuff (lodestone, swords, bridge) Champion should also be cheap enough.

    For Prototype, yeah not sold on it, more all in card than needed and holding lands can also be good if you run some copters

    @Man of Steel
    Overall impressiv deck and very nice that you runned it successfully at mkm, besides i missed the opportunity to talk with you about it
    TEAM MtG Berlin

  8. #48
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2013
    Location

    NJ
    Posts

    68

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    If you see Hurkyl's Recall, you're in a weird meta indeed. Null Rod you can beat if it comes down a bit later and you've had the chance to already get a Ravager or so down and can make something big. This deck doesn't run on artifact mana sources so it's slightly less destroyed by Null Rod but of course, most of your cards are 2/X or 1/X with no abilities with it in play. Hence why a Ravager eating things and going to town (though Chalice might be equally backbreaking to your enemy). Energy Flux is much the same, you need to get one threat out there and ride it to victory. Seeds of Innocence & al. are much like Hurkyl except without the rebuilding opportunity, but with manlands you can generally leave something behind. Serenity is actually pretty slow so you can prepare for it. Ancient Grudge and company are eminently beatable cards you can play through; spot removal is pretty bad against Ravager much of the time and the Tax plan can make particularly the 3-mana hate cards unwieldy.

    But honestly, aside from a random Null Rod I'd expect the worst you have to put up with to be Ancient Grudge, Sorcerous Spyglass and Pithing Needle, which are much more tenable than the heavy duty artifact hate (since the only artifact presences in the meta are like this and MUD-variants, and neither are very popular so why the hell would someone spend SB space on Energy Flux or something...?).
    The storm players near me like to run Hurkyl's Recall in the sideboard to get around chalice/sphere effects. Miracles might run it too, not sure though.

  9. #49

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    @ hatecards:

    you have to learn how to beat them. For example my brother Plays storm and he always has 3 hurkyl`s recall. The recalls are good, but if you always lose to it, you did something wrong
    Same for null rod. In the testing Process a friend of mine played a maverick deck with 3 stony silence maindeck and i beat him 50% of the time

    The lesson i try to teach you is:Testing has to be harder than the Tournament. Play against the absurd hate and the tournamnet will come easy to you

  10. #50
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2014
    Location

    Decatur, GA
    Posts

    92

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    @ hatecards:

    you have to learn how to beat them. For example my brother Plays storm and he always has 3 hurkyl`s recall. The recalls are good, but if you always lose to it, you did something wrong
    Same for null rod. In the testing Process a friend of mine played a maverick deck with 3 stony silence maindeck and i beat him 50% of the time

    The lesson i try to teach you is:Testing has to be harder than the Tournament. Play against the absurd hate and the tournamnet will come easy to you
    What were the matchups you had at MKMF? Were any particularly tricky or oddly easy? Are 4 Bridge and 2 Karakas enough for S&T with the Revokers?

  11. #51

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    to your third question: Yes, it is enough to make you a favorite, but i would not cut even one of those cards
    in the trial iplayed against Enchantress, 4c Loam, Food Chain and Maverick and in the mainevent food chain, Moon Stompy, BR Reanimator, Grixis Delver, Eldrazi, Sneak & Show, Big Eldrazi, Cech Pile, storm

    Grixis delver and the pile a hard to pilot and to sideboard but the rest was easy at least in my opinion. I tested the deck a lot and even i make many mistakes. Moon stompy is normally a horrible MU, but I might only think that because a friend of mine plays a very goog version of the deck for playing against me

  12. #52
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,946

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    i love that you can go to a major tourney and play vs:
    food chain, Moon Stompy, BR Reanimator, Grixis Delver, Eldrazi, Sneak & Show, Big Eldrazi, Czech Pile, storm all in one tournament!

    legacy really is the best.
    -rob

  13. #53

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Amen to that!

    By the way, the first part of the sideboard guide is now online. You find it here:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...91#post1035191

  14. #54

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Steel Stompy just took 1st at this month's Card Kingdom 1k. 70-ish players. Vod here.

  15. #55

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    Steel Stompy just took 1st at this month's Card Kingdom 1k
    in a very suspicious fashion though there were lots of questionable life choices from the maverick player in the quarters, wasting two copies of Abrupt Decay on silly stuff when he could destroy the ensnaring bridge and make the 20/20 swing to the semis.

  16. #56

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    in a very suspicious fashion though there were lots of questionable life choices from the maverick player in the quarters, wasting two copies of Abrupt Decay on silly stuff when he could destroy the ensnaring bridge and make the 20/20 swing to the semis.
    Right, he could have won if he did not tunnel vision on a DRS kill (which is pretty odd give that you know your opponent doesn't play instant/sorceries and you have a very limited amount of them). I have noticed the same kind of behavior in the past where people "forget" to win because they're so focused on not dying and it hurts my maverick player instinct since it's supposed to be an agressive deck, not a control one!

    On his defense tho, I think the first abrupt decay turned out ok because his opponent could have killed it's own Hangarback and made 5+ flying blockers for Marit Lage. The second one was just painful tho.

  17. #57

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    On the flip side the steel stomp Player was trying to do everything in his control to win the game for the elves player in the finals.

    Glad there was a very broad top 8. Those are always fun to see.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

  18. #58

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    míke played suboptimal and his Version is suboptimal, but the core of my deck is so great, that all those things doesn`t matter

  19. #59

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Hi! Today I played the deck (the exact same version that top8'ed in the big MKM tourney). I went 4-2 and the matches were the following:
    BR reanimator 2-1
    Maverick 1-2
    Storm 2-1
    UR burn 1-2
    Landstill 2-0
    Grixis delver 2-1

    I made some play mistakes overall, and also it was my first time playing the deck (never even playtested it). And the UR burn match was pretty close (he finished at 1 life in the third match). Overall I love the deck!

  20. #60
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2014
    Location

    Decatur, GA
    Posts

    92

    Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    míke played suboptimal and his Version is suboptimal, but the core of my deck is so great, that all those things doesn`t matter
    Is SoFI that much better than Jitte? Also, thoughts on Dismember or some other form of spot removal outside of Ballista?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)