Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Quote Originally Posted by zebhillard View Post
    Is SoFI that much better than Jitte? Also, thoughts on Dismember or some other form of spot removal outside of Ballista?
    dismember is too much lifeloss. Sofi is better than jitte (strix and tnn), but that is a Slot you can Change,but not for jitte or copter

@raist: the deckis suprisingly hard to Play. the weekest Point is the Pilot (even if i Play it)

I was not impressed by sofi in my matches, it was always quite bad (but of course I didnt face any tnn or strix in all the tournament, so...).

Aside from that, the decklist looks nearly perfect. The skirges, although they might seem debatable, worked quite good overall. Maybe a third lodestone, or some more hangarbacks in sideboard. Also I think mishras factory versus blinkmoth nexus can be debatable, as flying is very relevant in some matches, its probably a metagame dependant choice like the sword?

I was also very impressed by the city of traitors. I think they work much much much better in this deck than in any other deck.

I sometimes had doubts about whether to sideboard in the bridges or not, not completely sure in which matches you want them (aside from obvious ones like reanimator or eldrazi).

Congrats for the good design!

Andrea Mengucci played my deck today at channelfireball. He showed the world how NOT to play my deck. He made every mistake you can imagine. You need to practice with the deck or you will loose matchups like burn or belcher like he did. I am so happy that it is not just me making mistakes. By the way i like mengucci and his videos

Hey guys, I said in twitch chat today that I'd post my list from the CK 1K yesterday here.

List:

4 Overseer
    4 Ravager
    4 Hangarback
    4 Ballista
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Vault Skirge
    2 Revoker

4 Chalice
    2 Thorn
    2 Jitte

2 Petal
    3 Opal
    4 Tomb
    4 Cavern
    3 City
    1 Karakas
    4 Factory
    4 Vault of Whispers
    2 Wasteland

SB:

1 Dismember
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Cage
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Revoker
    3 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Thorn

Matches I played for the day were: Storm, UR delver (camera match), Merfolk, Storm, Elves, ID, ID Top 8: Maverick, Sneak, Elves (same player as round 5)

I really liked the way this list played. I was actually brewing a list similar to this back in Nov. I Top 4ed the last CK 1K with a UB build that featured Thoughtcast and Tezzeret, but I really liked the design of the colorless version. The planeswalker gave the deck a lot of grind, but was a bit inconsistent at times. This list that I came to was basically a combination of what I liked about both.

Deck Design Decisions:

Manabase:

What I've actually come to learn in playing this deck is that you really don't need a turn 1 play always. The deck has a lot of grind to it, so as long as your manabase is stable you tend to be ok. I ideally want to sit at the 4-8 mana as the hangarbacks/ballistas are just so much better the bigger you can make them, so I wanted more permanence to my manabase. I tried the list with 4 petals and 4 city, but was having too many issues. I basically only ever want to see 1 petal in my opener maybe and never again after that, so I trimmed that to 2. Similarly, I trimmed a City. Playing 4 hangarback means there are 12 constructs in the deck, so cavern was a great inclusion to the deck. Since I trimmed some petals, I added vault of whispers to help increase the odds of fast metalcraft and is ravager food if you flood. Vaults could be darksteel citadels, or could trim some for more wastelands/other utility lands. I tend to not like wasteland a lot in the list. It has great utility, but I'm often trying to use all of my mana each turn to maximize the power of all of the threats this deck has.

2 Thorns:
    Thorns are great a lot of the time, but not always I wanted to keep the threat count high and include more golems, because 4 golems are insane. Still want the 4 thorn vs combo, so moved them to the SB. Combo matchups are strong enough post board that I think its ok.

2 Jitte: With so many threats I think Jitte is the better equipment. It is pretty easy to be attacking with an equipped creature on turn 2 and in fair matches that is often game. The lifegain is great, and extra ways to pump skirges is awesome.

2 Revoker: Revoker is one of my favorite cards in vintage, but in legacy its powerful, but not always the best. I don't think you need 4 in the main and would rather have other things.

4 Golem: always insane in multiples, reminds me of vintage champs several years ago when I was able to play 4 golem 4 chalice. With a more stable manabase this guy is still easily castable and often can still come down on turn 3 or 2.

4 hangarback: single-handedly out grinds non-white fair matches and makes the ballista combo more potent. I could see it maybe go down to 3 of in the right meta, but I really like 4.

3 skirge: necessary but would rather not be a 4 of. jitte helps with the lifegain here so i think its ok to trim to 3.

SB:

1 Dismember: I like having a bit more removal for some of the fair matches

3 ratchet bombs: good catch-all, also expected a good showing of elves on the weekend, so bomb is great there

3 bridges: card is great If you're really concerned about TNN you can even board some of these in. Beat merfolk stablizing at 1 life staring at 3 TNN with a bridge in play.

1 Revoker: Really good in some matches, so still have a 3rd revoker in the 75

2 Thorn: Think these are better in the SB as Thorn isn't always the best.

1 Cage: was expecting elves

One thing to note about the CK meta, is that it tends to be a bit hostile to lands variants, so I was able to worry about that matchup a bit less when making design decisions.

Overall very happy with the deck. My play in the top 8 was sloppy, but after a long day I was a bit tired, everyone was making mistakes.

Important final note, Seattle area has been calling the list "Dos Equis" which I think is a great name for the deck.

First of all congrats to you mike.

When i saw your list, i realized that your deck is in my opinion totally different from my deck. You are going for a longer game in which lodestone golem is a very strong card. My deck is more of an Steel RUG Delver deck. Get ahead and stay ahead (of course steel stompy has much less trouble with being on the draw then RUG)

In on of my earlier Posts i sayed "if you dont want to play the 4 thorns , play an other deck". I want to be very clear about this. Your deck is in my opinion an other deck. The keeps and mulligans are different as well as the gameplay. I think you started with my list and created your own MUD

Good job. If i were you, i would consider Phyrexian metamorph, because of the 4 golem and the lack of the fourth bridge and the second karakas

That's what so great about this engine. It's so powerful that you can pretty much set up the deck to fit your playstyle. I'll have to rethink metamorph. I had dismissed it early in the design of the deck, but that was before I had gone up to 4 golem. It is definitely worth reconsidering.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I kinda really want to turn turn 1 Metalcraft Mox into a thing in this deck; I feel like it's a great pair for Chalice. However, I feel like Petals are a bit too much resources lost in a deck that makes great use of permanent mana and every spell. 0-cost artifacts that do things seem nice; while Ornithopter seems natural, it's only so good. This had me going through all the old 0-drop artifacts in the game. Welding Jar would be cool except for the removal used in Legacy. Fatal Push it works against but StP and Dismember are both immune to it. One thought that occurred to me is that this deck makes great use of additional cards so perhaps Mishra's or Urza's Baubles could be interesting? You get the card back and they are artifacts for stuff.

Dec 2014
    Decatur, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    In on of my earlier Posts i sayed "if you dont want to play the 4 thorns , play an other deck". I want to be very clear about this. Your deck is in my opinion an other deck. The keeps and mulligans are different as well as the gameplay. I think you started with my list and created your own MUD

Good job. If i were you, i would consider Phyrexian metamorph, because of the 4 golem and the lack of the fourth bridge and the second karakas
    Those Tusk boys like their long game, it's in their blood it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by vnayin View Post
    That's what so great about this engine. It's so powerful that you can pretty much set up the deck to fit your playstyle. I'll have to rethink metamorph. I had dismissed it early in the design of the deck, but that was before I had gone up to 4 golem. It is definitely worth reconsidering.
    I've been looking at Metamorph myself, with 3 Revoker / Petal and 2 Metamorph at the first changes I thought about.

Clearly, vnayin's deck is slightly less explosive and more into the longer game. I personally prefer the original list (although maybe with an additional golem), and no way I'm cutting any cities or petals, as they are highly necessary to play one thing turn 1 and two things turn 2.

However, I think I agree with the jitte comment (without having tested it) because the difference in this deck between a casting cost of 2 and 3 is HUGE if you want to use it early. With sofi usually the best you can do is turn 1 critter turn 2 sofi turn 3 attack+another critter (not great), or turn 1 lock piece turn 2 critter critter turn 3 attack with sofi (only if you have 5 manas)... Whereas with jitte it can be turn 1 critter turn 2 attack with jitte (superb in some matchups), or turn 1 lock, turn 2 critter critter turn 3 attack with jitte (even if you only have 4 mana, so slightly easier).

Hi Man of Steel,

First of all, this is my first post on the forum and i made it just to thank you for sharing your decklist and congratulate you for MKM, i have managed to sleeve up the exact deck last week and brought it to 2 local game store's legacy night.

Just a quick summary of how the games went:

Store 1
    Elves 2-1
    G1: Managed to T1 chalice which delays them enough before he manages to find a rec sage which was too late. Had mishra's factory + ravager + walking ballista on board which grew everyturn and ping on almost every creature for the win.
    G2: Took out 4Vault Skirges + 2hangerbacks + 2lodestone, in with 2rachet bomb + 4 bridges + 2spellskites, mull down to 4 as i did not have any sol-lands + lock pcs in 1st draw and no lands at all for 2nd draw, 3rd i remember was bad as well. Opponents was able to pull off early craterhoof with just 2creatrures on board and followed by hitting everyturn for 5 to which i did not drew into bridge.
    G3: Got a chalice in play T1 which opponent did not draw into answer, followed up with wastelands into gaea's cradle and use a 1/1 to ping arbor dryad, this was enough of an advantage. Won using steel overseer pump on ballista afterwards.

U/W stoneforge 2-0
    G1: Chalice was countered, but followed up with ballista sac to kill stonefordge b4 butterskull could come in. 2xmishra's factory and later with steel oversea pressure with the +1+1 pumps on factories was too much, opponent did not have much in play.
    G2: Cant remember much, but was a quick kill, with SOFI + revoker.

Miracles (MythStill) 0-2
    G1: T1 Chalice was fow, turn 2 thorn was countered. As the game dragged on i find myself unable to keep a creatures on the board, had a thorn + revoker on myth realised. But was later snapcaster plowed and died to myth activation.
    G2: Sided in 2spyglasses + 2spellskite + 1 SOFI , out 2xloadestone + 4skirges. Mulled to 6 still no chalice in hand, first revoker got plowed, managed to keep another revoker + spyglass on board for long time stopping myth realised. Was hitting for 2s using mishras factory into game after most of the board got terminus and no hand. Mistake came when i used a inventor's fair to search for SOFI, as it would close the game equiping on factory. Opponent laid fown back to basics, found his disenchant and won.

Store 2
    Czech piles 2-0
    G1: Was hymm T1, put a ravager into play which was bolted. Played another ravager + hangerback, both stayed on board with opponent having a DRS + strix, managed to get steel overseer into play which won the game with airforce later.
    G2: Cant remember on sideboard. Opponent did not present much threat after initial removals, was able to win with a thorn in play with a late chalice to stop removals.

Omni-tell 2-1
    G1: Chalice was spell pierced, however opponent could not find pieces in time, lost to lodestone golem with SOFI which hits hard.
    G2: Pulled in bridges, took out skirges. Hand was bad even after mull, thorn + 2ballistas and hangerback if im not wrong, was too greedy, did not mull again. Opponent managed to pull off SnT, showing omenisence. GG
    G3: Mulled for chalice on 1,had bridge in hand ready for SnT, however did not have to use them, mishra's factory + steel overseer was too fast a clock and won before opponent could find combo pcs.

Dredge 2-0
    G1: opponent on the play put ichorid + jellyfish onto play T2. I put hangerback which i ate and got rid of 2xbridges, with ravager eating lotus petal which helped to hold on for quite a few turns before i could stabilized at with ballista+steel overseer and won.
    G2: In with Leyline of the void, drew it opening 7card hand. Smiled.

Against most decks, the general feel is that it seems able to always be just 1 turn ahead if lock pcs resolves.
    I find that the hardest match up i had even in casual games were miracles varients. Its really hard to keep a stable board and plow or early terminus and it is really hard to get back into the game given snapcasters later.
    Do you have any advise on this? Would like to hear from your experiences.

Thank you.

I've been thinking about Miracles and how to improve, as well. Miracles is unique because there is no Vintage analog to the deck - so no one's really had to think about how to beat Terminus and STP.

Where to find space: as Mike mentioned above, he could see trimming to 3x Hangarback Walker. I think this card is particularly bad against Miracles (Terminus + STP = no value). Where else could we find MD or SB space?

Some avenues to consider:
    • DNT leverages the equipment plan in the Miracles matchup. Any body + equipment is a threat and so DNT attempts to play one threat at a time along with the equipment to win. How can we add consistency to this plan? Is Inventor's Fair enough? Are there other similar effects?
    • Seagate Wreckage/Coercive Portal. Are these effects powerful enough? Or not impactful for the cost?
    • Winter Orb. Could our tax effects combine with our sol lands to push us ahead in a Winter Orb situation? We have many mana sinks - but it isn't necessary to utilize those sinks if we have an advantage on board, already.
    • Cavern of Souls. If Miracles and similar control decks are an issue, we MUST find room and maintain Cavern of Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksummer View Post

I find that the hardest match up i had even in casual games were miracles varients. Its really hard to keep a stable board and plow or early terminus and it is really hard to get back into the game given snapcasters later.
    Do you have any advise on this? Would like to hear from your experiences.[/B]

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by korstructure View Post
    I've been thinking about Miracles and how to improve, as well. Miracles is unique because there is no Vintage analog to the deck - so no one's really had to think about how to beat Terminus and STP.

Where to find space: as Mike mentioned above, he could see trimming to 3x Hangarback Walker. I think this card is particularly bad against Miracles (Terminus + STP = no value). Where else could we find MD or SB space?

Some avenues to consider:
    • DNT leverages the equipment plan in the Miracles matchup. Any body + equipment is a threat and so DNT attempts to play one threat at a time along with the equipment to win. How can we add consistency to this plan? Is Inventor's Fair enough? Are there other similar effects?
    • Seagate Wreckage/Coercive Portal. Are these effects powerful enough? Or not impactful for the cost?
    • Winter Orb. Could our tax effects combine with our sol lands to push us ahead in a Winter Orb situation? We have many mana sinks - but it isn't necessary to utilize those sinks if we have an advantage on board, already.
    • Cavern of Souls. If Miracles and similar control decks are an issue, we MUST find room and maintain Cavern of Souls.
    Things that are in general good vs Miracles are hasty creatures (either haste or EoT Aether Vial), uncounterable creatures (Cavern/Vial) or threats that are resilient (e.g. manlands).

Vial doesn't work with Walker/Ballista and I can't see Cavern working either with so many different creature types. I've heard alot of good things about Winter Orb, but never played it myself in any of my decks to confirm it.

Other than that, maybe Lightning Greaves? It opens up the haste/protection angle.

Jun 2009
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Things that are in general good vs Miracles are hasty creatures (either haste or EoT Aether Vial), uncounterable creatures (Cavern/Vial) or threats that are resilient (e.g. manlands).

Vial doesn't work with Walker/Ballista and I can't see Cavern working either with so many different creature types. I've heard alot of good things about Winter Orb, but never played it myself in any of my decks to confirm it.

Other than that, maybe Lightning Greaves? It opens up the haste/protection angle.
    Is the Miracles match up that bad? I haven't got to play this deck yet but seems with 4 Factories, Chalices, Lodestone Golems, there is enough disruption and enough pressure to not have it be that bad. Eldrazi is what I currently play and Smasher is of course the trump card, so would a Fleetwood Cruiser be Steel Stompy's Smasher? I believe Vintage shops plays it. I'd figure Cruiser or a Smuggler's Copter would be preferred before Lightning Greaves and beat Terminus.

I`m sorry that i have to say: against miracles its more about your timing and pacing of the match than it is about specific cards.

Factory is your best card. But the most important thing is not to overextend into there sweepers and at the same time keep up the preasure. This matchup often comes down to "who is the better player"

I`m sorry that i have to say: against miracles its more about your timing and pacing of the match than it is about specific cards.

Factory is your best card. But the most important thing is not to overextend into there sweepers and at the same time keep up the preasure. This matchup often comes down to "who is the better player"
    Guess that means with more practice, it can be done. Would you consider it to be a unfavorable matchup? On paper, it seems with 4xthorns + Lodestone + chalice, it might be sufficient disruption, but after sideboard with disenchants coming in and back to basics, it seems pretty tough to keep ahead, and keep pressure up.

Will try again tonight and keep the "not to overextend" thought in my mind. Any tips on what sideboard options and if you would prefer to go aggro or pace it out?
    (I would like to think that keeping a hand with chalice but not going T1 chalice for 1 would be the right way, putting creatures down and getting them to use their fow/counters before locking up with chalice) <===something along this line of play ?

Thank you in advance !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksummer View Post
    Guess that means with more practice, it can be done. Would you consider it to be a unfavorable matchup? On paper, it seems with 4xthorns + Lodestone + chalice, it might be sufficient disruption, but after sideboard with disenchants coming in and back to basics, it seems pretty tough to keep ahead, and keep pressure up.

Will try again tonight and keep the "not to overextend" thought in my mind. Any tips on what sideboard options and if you would prefer to go aggro or pace it out?
    (I would like to think that keeping a hand with chalice but not going T1 chalice for 1 would be the right way, putting creatures down and getting them to use their fow/counters before locking up with chalice) <===something along this line of play ?

Thank you in advance !!!
    This Matchup is a war over resources. You can board out some number of petals and of course the walkers. Don`t board out any thorns or golems. You need to disrupt their efficiency. Make all your cards matter and protect your factories as much as possible. This one of the matchups where you can take a slower approach to the game to maximize the effect of your cards

Curious what our worst matchups are in your opinion.

What would keep this deck from immediately becoming the best deck in the format? (Given sufficient player skill and meta representation)

And what's our matchup like against "best deck" grixis delver?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Worst Match is Lands. I lent out Lands when I played this last week. Even someone unskilled with the deck shot me full of holes. Wasteland and GQ into Tabernacle is hard to answer.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Also, if this deck becomes DtB, it will be easy for oher decks to adapt with SB cards. There are a lot of cards out there that severely cripple this deck that are simply not mainstream yet.

Off the top of my head I think Nic Fit with Explorer and Deed would give this deck trouble.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

If null rod saw any play, it would be a major problem for this deck.
    -rob

Thread Information