Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

This could happen, but I think it's too early to discuss possible answers to sideboard hate right now.
    In case the deck gets played enough and is seen as a threat worth to be dealt with, we need to see how heavy the other decks will sideboard against it and what cards will they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    This Matchup is a war over resources. You can board out some number of petals and of course the walkers. Don`t board out any thorns or golems. You need to disrupt their efficiency. Make all your cards matter and protect your factories as much as possible. This one of the matchups where you can take a slower approach to the game to maximize the effect of your cards
    Thank you Man of Steel. Has quite a number of practice games with my friend's Miracles, key is to put pressure while not committing too much to the board, found that even hitting with 1dmg using single skirge behind a bridge can do the trick.
    And yes, factories are indeed MVPs, putting so much pressure on opponent !!!

Do keep us updated on your progress and all the best on your future games !!!

Dec 2013
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Worst Match is Lands. I lent out Lands when I played this last week. Even someone unskilled with the deck shot me full of holes. Wasteland and GQ into Tabernacle is hard to answer.
    Maybe Blood Sun would be a viable answer to Lands. With the opals petals it might be cast-able.

The second part of our sideboard guide is up!

You find it right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QLuNHE4zA

Big shouts out to Man of Steel for joining me again on the show and sharing his recommendations for the following matchups: Sneak and Show, Burn and Reanimator (BR/UB).

Quote Originally Posted by Hedronic View Post

Big shouts out to Man of Steel for joining me again on the show and sharing his recommendations for the following matchups: Sneak and Show, Burn and Reanimator (BR/UB).
    Awesome series !!! Lots of insights into different match-ups and sideboard thoughts. Please come back for 3rd series !!!

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    Maybe Blood Sun would be a viable answer to Lands. With the opals petals it might be cast-able.
    If you want a silver bullet for a bad match-up, you really need for it to be easily castable. Otherwise you need to mull for both, the silver bullet and the mana to cast it which decreases your chances of actually winning with it sharply. Some oldschool land hate that might be interesting includes Tsabo's Web, though that might not be powerful enough (hits Ports, Mazes, Wastes, GQ, Cycle lands, Thespian's Stage, manlands, Academy Ruins vs. your manlands and Wastes). However, at 2 mana cantripping artifact, it's hard to imagine a better fit for the deck's main strategy (but it does hit a number of our own lands too, most saliently the manlands and Inventors' Fair - Wastelands you can always just use when you play them). You can always EOT sac it to your Ravager when you want to untap your own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedronic View Post

Thank you Hedronic and Man of Steel for the video - great content. I started playing Steel Stompy for 2 weeks, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by McMasterJ View Post
    Thank you Hedronic and Man of Steel for the video - great content. I started playing Steel Stompy for 2 weeks, love it.
    Happy to hear it!

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Went to a tournament this past Saturday with the exact list that got 2nd at MKM. Ended up going 2-2-1. Won against Dredge and g/w midrange homebrew. Lost against Burn twice and drew against Pox.

Some thoughts/questions after playing the deck for the first time.

When I was playing against Burn, I had an opening hand of Ancient Tomb, Wasteland, Petal, Chalice, Vault Skirge, x, x. I wasn't too sure on how aggressive I should play this hand as you can play Tomb, Petal, Play Chalice on 1 (lose 2 life) then sac petal and cast Vault Skirge (lose 2 life) so you've already lost 4 life. Or I could have delayed on playing the Vault Skirge on turn 2 and not pay the life loss on the skirge. Just wondering which play would have been better in this matchup.

Hangarback felt really mediocre whenever I drew it. Even when I paid 4 mana for it, it still felt bad as a 2/2. I feel like if I'm always going to play this for 4 or more mana, I'd want something like a Lodestone Golem instead. Sure, Hangarback has synergy with arcbound ravager and overseer but I feel like this deck needs a few more creatures that are harder to kill that also has disruption.

Also, are there no worthy 3 drops that can be played in this deck? I had multiple games where I have three mana in play but all I have are 2 drops in hand so I couldn't make two plays in a turn. Or have people tried them and it didn't work out?

Felt like I misplayed a bunch when I had ravagers out and I wasn't too sure on when to aggressively sacrifice things to grow the ravager.

Is there anything we can do against someone who plays a chalice on 2 against the deck other than having a ratchet bomb in play already? Chalice on 2 pretty much bricks the entire deck.... My pox opponent could have done this to lock me out but I guess he didn't see it or know the deck well enough.

I had this situation come up a couple of times where the only creature I had in play was a Steel Overseer, I had no other creatures in my hand and my opponent had no creatures in play. I was wondering how many times would you pump it up and then start to attack with it? I kind of waffled between having it as a 2/2 or a 3/3 before starting to attack with it but what do you guys think?

For the 2 games you lost to burn, did you use the sideboard plan Amadeus recommends? (+2 Spellskite, +2 Ratchet Bomb + SOFI (Pro Red), -4 Revoker, -1 Ancient Tomb)
    Also, were you able to get chalice for one out on the burn player?

I know there is a version out there that plays 2 Vault of Whispers (artifact and give more reliable source of black so don't lose the 2 life to pay Vault Skirge).

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    Went to a tournament this past Saturday with the exact list that got 2nd at MKM. Ended up going 2-2-1. Won against Dredge and g/w midrange homebrew. Lost against Burn twice and drew against Pox.

Some thoughts/questions after playing the deck for the first time.

When I was playing against Burn, I had an opening hand of Ancient Tomb, Wasteland, Petal, Chalice, Vault Skirge, x, x. I wasn't too sure on how aggressive I should play this hand as you can play Tomb, Petal, Play Chalice on 1 (lose 2 life) then sac petal and cast Vault Skirge (lose 2 life) so you've already lost 4 life. Or I could have delayed on playing the Vault Skirge on turn 2 and not pay the life loss on the skirge. Just wondering which play would have been better in this matchup.

Hangarback felt really mediocre whenever I drew it. Even when I paid 4 mana for it, it still felt bad as a 2/2. I feel like if I'm always going to play this for 4 or more mana, I'd want something like a Lodestone Golem instead. Sure, Hangarback has synergy with arcbound ravager and overseer but I feel like this deck needs a few more creatures that are harder to kill that also has disruption.

Also, are there no worthy 3 drops that can be played in this deck? I had multiple games where I have three mana in play but all I have are 2 drops in hand so I couldn't make two plays in a turn. Or have people tried them and it didn't work out?

Felt like I misplayed a bunch when I had ravagers out and I wasn't too sure on when to aggressively sacrifice things to grow the ravager.

Is there anything we can do against someone who plays a chalice on 2 against the deck other than having a ratchet bomb in play already? Chalice on 2 pretty much bricks the entire deck.... My pox opponent could have done this to lock me out but I guess he didn't see it or know the deck well enough.

I had this situation come up a couple of times where the only creature I had in play was a Steel Overseer, I had no other creatures in my hand and my opponent had no creatures in play. I was wondering how many times would you pump it up and then start to attack with it? I kind of waffled between having it as a 2/2 or a 3/3 before starting to attack with it but what do you guys think?

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ksesler View Post
    For the 2 games you lost to burn, did you use the sideboard plan Amadeus recommends? (+2 Spellskite, +2 Ratchet Bomb + SOFI (Pro Red), -4 Revoker, -1 Ancient Tomb)
    Also, were you able to get chalice for one out on the burn player?

I know there is a version out there that plays 2 Vault of Whispers (artifact and give more reliable source of black so don't lose the 2 life to pay Vault Skirge).

Keith
    Yes I used his sideboard plans. I even had Chalice on 1 and thorn in play in one game and lost that one because they drew no 1cc spells, was mana flooded and negated my lifegain with turn 4 sulfuric vortex. But that's something I can't control so I'd rather focus on the best play that I could make in the matchup.

As for the 3 drop you are looking for, Foundry Inspector might do the trick. The Vintage equivalent of this deck uses 4 Foundry Inspectors, so maybe 2 would work here.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    Yes I used his sideboard plans. I even had Chalice on 1 and thorn in play in one game and lost that one because they drew no 1cc spells, was mana flooded and negated my lifegain with turn 4 sulfuric vortex. But that's something I can't control so I'd rather focus on the best play that I could make in the matchup.

I tried foundry inspector in my original build of the deck, but didn't really like it, its really only good on turns 1 or 2, and after that is just not a great draw. The lack of 3 drops is one of the reasons I like more hangarbacks in my build. The pump ability is a nice mana sink, so I'll often prioritize leading with hangarback turn 1 so on turn 2 I can play a 2 drop + pump. Also why I like playing artifact lands, as it increases the chance of turn 2 4 mana with mox opal.

On Saturday i played a local Tournament with my deck and went 3-2

the list was -1 Thorn, - 1 Sofi, -1 Skirge, + 1 Golem, + 1 Walker, + 1 Ghost Quarter

I lost my 2 Rounds because of the 3rd Golem instead of the Thorn. So i will go back to playing 2 golem and 4 thorn. Cutting the sofi in the main for walker and the skirge for a land feels right, but i cannot confirm that based on a 5 round tournament

The only thing i can say difinetly is that 4 thorn are a necessary evil. I will test the copter again because i feel like itis in a good spot at the moment

To answer to question before it will pop up: the third golem had an other language than the other two

I brought Steel Stompy to my weekly legacy event again. I did 3-1 (conceded to a draw) last week, and 3-1 again this week. Last week I was on Man of Steel list, switching the main SoFi for a Jitte. This week, I tried one more Lodestone over a Revoker.

Round 1 (win 2-1): Monoblack (?) Reanimator.
    I kept an okay hand, but I first thought my opponent was on Eldrazi (I knew him for playing that deck). I almost had the game, by playing an hangarback walker + Arcbound ravager, creating some 1/1 thopter to block Griselbrand and sac before damage - but he manages to Unmask my hangarback before I can play it. Game 2 and 3: leyline of the void, bridge, karakas and/or chalice of the void. I followed Man of Steel sideboard guide for the matchup.

Round 2 (win 2-1): The Gate.
    I don't exactly remember how the match up went, but it's the second time I face the deck. I don't think it's an easy matchup, since there is a lot of removal coming from opponent side. Hangarback Walker is pretty good here to protect from Edict effect (LotV, Gatekeeper...) by creating multiple thopter.

Round 3 (win 2-0): Steel Stompy, mirror match.
    The word is out. Steel Stompy is real. I had a pretty explosive game 1 hand, on the play. For game 2, I took out 4xThorn, 4xChalice. Brought in 2xRatchet Bomb, 2xSpellskite (redirect Modular Trigger from Arcbound ravager), 2xSpyglass, 1xSoFi, 1xEnsnaring Bridge. I'm really not sure about the sideboard plan, I think Thorn are pretty bad, and Chalice on 0 might be fine on the play, but not really on the draw. In the end, I think the mirror is about the most explosive hand possible - I had 2 Steel overseer, Hangarback, Skirge and Ravager on the board by turn 4. Made a bunch of thopter EoT and activated Steel Overseer twice for the win.

Round 4 (lost 0-2): Deadguy Ale.
    I lost game 1 to my opponent Jitte connecting after getting mine vindicated, and triple wastelanded. Game 2 I mull to 5, not having any lock piece or sol land in any opening hand. Nothing much more to say for now on this matchup.

Once again, the deck felt pretty strong. I did not like the third Lodestone, so I will move back to the fourth Revoker. Haven't really faced blue deck lately, so the maindeck Jitte is really efficient and lead to a lot of explosiveness (play and equip in the same turn). I could also totally see cutting the maindeck equipment for another Hangarback Walker, the card is insane and I almost always want to find one.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Has anyone else tried Scooter? When I have played with this I have always found that card to be fantastic.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I’ve been playing this list for 2.5 years. Have gone through colorless versions and black versions, it is my opinion the black versions with the abyss is the more powerful version of the list, since the abyss swings the show and tell matchup in your favor. Black also fixes the True-Name Nemisis problem. I’ll admit the colorless versions probably have a leg up in the match vs the black ones.

Anyway, I’ve played this list before Walking Ballista and Scrap Trawler were printed. I have no idea how I am still the only played to recognize how great scrap trawler is in the list, since it combos with ravaged and constantly brings back lands, opals, chalice of the void, and walking ballista.

I don’t see the point of thorn of amethyst in the list at all. It doesn’t do anything IMO.

Blinkmoth Nexus is the best man land to run, since it can trade with Delver. Mishra’s Factory is probably #2. I’ve sleeved up Inkmoth nexus a lot, and I’ve decided I will never sleeve it up again.

Sincerely,
    Vintage Greg

Land (22)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Blinkmoth Nexus
    4x City of Traitors
    1x Karakas
    1x Swamp
    4x Vault of Whispers
    4x Wasteland

Sorcery (2)
    2x Toxic Deluge

Enchantment (4)
    4x The Abyss

Creature (22)
    4x Arcbound Ravager
    4x Lodestone Golem
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Scrap Trawler
    4x Steel Overseer
    4x Walking Ballista

Artifact (10)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Mox Diamond
    3x Mox Opal
    1x Sorcerous Spyglass

Sideboard (15)
    1x Coercive Portal
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Diabolic Edict
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    2x Spine of Ish Sah
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x Warping Wail

If you have any questions about any card feel free to ask. Even cards not in the list. I’ve played just about everything in my journey to build this list. Winter Orb, Ankh Of Mishra, Ratchet Bomb, Ensnaring Bridge, Cavern Of Souls, Inventor’s Fair, Vault Skirge, Cranial Plating, Inkmoth Nexus, Mishra’s Factory, etc.

THhe only real difference in design between this and the colorless list is Thorn Of Amethyst vs the Abyss. Which makes you stronger against the Combo matchup (which you will already win). The Abyss is an autowin against some decks.

I really don’t care what other people call the list, since I invented it, and can show you tournament deck lists proving I’ve played his list longer than you, the deck is called “the Abyss Affinity.”

Edit: on second thought, I’m not sure the colorless list is actually favored. Post sideboard, I’d be:

-4 the Abyss
    -4 chalice of the void
    -1 Sorcerous spyglass

+1 coercive portal
    +1 crucible of worlds
    +3 warping wail
    +1 diabolic edict
    +1 umezawa’s Jitte
    +2 Spine of ish sah

Vintage Greg:
    I used to play Abyss Artifact decks back in the mid 1990's when Legends came out
    I don't recall ever playing more than 3 in a deck, however.

I assumed that The Abyss was too slow in today's environment.
    I am intrigued by your list, just because The Abyss was a big favorite of mine 20+ years ago, and will take a hard look at any deck that has it that proves viable in real life.

How strong is the Legacy community where you play?
    Do you have any type of sideboard guide to go with this deck?
    Thanks.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by gkraigher View Post
    I’ve been playing this list for 2.5 years. Have gone through colorless versions and black versions, it is my opinion the black versions with the abyss is the more powerful version of the list, since the abyss swings the show and tell matchup in your favor. Black also fixes the True-Name Nemisis problem. I’ll admit the colorless versions probably have a leg up in the match vs the black ones.

Anyway, I’ve played this list before Walking Ballista and Scrap Trawler were printed. I have no idea how I am still the only played to recognize how great scrap trawler is in the list, since it combos with ravaged and constantly brings back lands, opals, chalice of the void, and walking ballista.

I don’t see the point of thorn of amethyst in the list at all. It doesn’t do anything IMO.

Blinkmoth Nexus is the best man land to run, since it can trade with Delver. Mishra’s Factory is probably #2. I’ve sleeved up Inkmoth nexus a lot, and I’ve decided I will never sleeve it up again.

Sincerely,
    Vintage Greg

Land (22)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Blinkmoth Nexus
    4x City of Traitors
    1x Karakas
    1x Swamp
    4x Vault of Whispers
    4x Wasteland

Sorcery (2)
    2x Toxic Deluge

Enchantment (4)
    4x The Abyss

Creature (22)
    4x Arcbound Ravager
    4x Lodestone Golem
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Scrap Trawler
    4x Steel Overseer
    4x Walking Ballista

Artifact (10)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Mox Diamond
    3x Mox Opal
    1x Sorcerous Spyglass

Sideboard (15)
    1x Coercive Portal
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Diabolic Edict
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    2x Spine of Ish Sah
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x Warping Wail

If you have any questions about any card feel free to ask. Even cards not in the list. I’ve played just about everything in my journey to build this list. Winter Orb, Ankh Of Mishra, Ratchet Bomb, Ensnaring Bridge, Cavern Of Souls, Inventor’s Fair, Vault Skirge, Cranial Plating, Inkmoth Nexus, Mishra’s Factory, etc.

THhe only real difference in design between this and the colorless list is Thorn Of Amethyst vs the Abyss. Which makes you stronger against the Combo matchup (which you will already win). The Abyss is an autowin against some decks.

I really don’t care what other people call the list, since I invented it, and can show you tournament deck lists proving I’ve played his list longer than you, the deck is called “the Abyss Affinity.”

Edit: on second thought, I’m not sure the colorless list is actually favored. Post sideboard, I’d be:

-4 the Abyss
    -4 chalice of the void
    -1 Sorcerous spyglass

+1 coercive portal
    +1 crucible of worlds
    +3 warping wail
    +1 diabolic edict
    +1 umezawa’s Jitte
    +2 Spine of ish sah

I live in Michigan and the Legaxy community is strong. I also travel back to Atlanta all the time and play with those guys down there as well.

It would be better if you gave me a short list of decks you would want a cheat sheet to board on. There are quite a few legacy lists out that and each is slightly different.

I am pleased to hear you are a Michigander.
    I grew up in Michigan, and was living in Southgate playing Type 1 until I moved to Phoenix in 1997.
    There is quite a bit of Lands, Turbo Depths, Grixis Delver, TES, and Czech Pile here.
    So, knowing that not everyone runs the exact same lists, generic sideboard advice on these archetypes would be great.
    Thanks!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by gkraigher View Post
    I live in Michigan and the Legaxy community is strong. I also travel back to Atlanta all the time and play with those guys down there as well.

It would be better if you gave me a short list of decks you would want a cheat sheet to board on. There are quite a few legacy lists out that and each is slightly different.

Thread Information