Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Re: Steel Stompy 2.0 / Ravager Shops

Went to a small tournament this past Saturday and decided to try out some Foundry Inspectors. Here's the list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Inventor's Fair
    2 Karakas
    4 Foundry Inspector
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Hangarback Walker
    1 Lodestone Golem
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Spellskite
    2 Sorceror's Spyglass
    1 Lodestone Golem

Went 4-0-1 with the draw being an intentional draw.
    Beat D&T, UB Smallpox, Dragon Stompy and UBr Tezzerator
    Drew against Deadguy Ale.

The Foundry Inspectors performed way above expectations. Whenever I had Inspectors in play, it felt like I was playing a totally different deck and the plays I were making were just making my opponents visibily frustrated. The Inspector makes hands that only have a City and a non-sol land hand a lot more keepable since you can go Turn 1 chalice or thorn, turn 2 Inspector and if you have a petal or a mox, then you can play another two drop and on turn 3, you can keep on playing out your hand on a non-sol land which is really important. Obviously you'd get owned by Wasteland but with or without Inspector, Wasteland would own you regardless. If anyone is still playing this deck, definitely give Inspectors a shot before you decide on switching decks.

Because of how insane the Inspectors felt, I think that I'd want to have a Jitte in the 75 somewhere since you can actually cast your equipment with Thorns in play.

Some highlights from the tournament:
    - Dragon Stompy opponent actually realized that Chalice on 2 would lock me out of the game. I was hoping that people wouldn't have seen that.
    - Game 3 against Dragon Stompy, I'm trying to stop him from landing turn 1 Blood Moon and I only have a Revoker I can play so I decide to name Simian Spirit Guide instead of Chrome Mox and that just locked him out of the game as he kept a no lander with 4 Spirit Guides in hand.
    - Had multiple hands where I was able to play out my hand on turn 2-3 with an Inspector in play and my opponents scooping because I went too wide and they couldn't deal with everything.

Hey just popping in to say this deck looks amazing, I've run into it a few times online in legacy leagues. I think I've lost most of the time (me playing D&T of course).

Ravager/Steel Overseer + Hangarback walker/Walking Ballista is just unbeatable for me. Practically. I have effectively 1 turn to deal with it and it feels bad!

Haha, I think I'll even pick up the deck and might stream it next week. It is so cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Hey just popping in to say this deck looks amazing, I've run into it a few times online in legacy leagues. I think I've lost most of the time (me playing D&T of course).

Ravager/Steel Overseer + Hangarback walker/Walking Ballista is just unbeatable for me. Practically. I have effectively 1 turn to deal with it and it feels bad!

Haha, I think I'll even pick up the deck and might stream it next week. It is so cool
    With the words of this deck's creator, "it's lategame is maybe 2nd or 3rd best in the whole metagame". Once the deck's got its pieces on the ground, you can do very little to stop it.
    I think the general idea for you is to hate on steel overseer as much as possibile, flicker chalice or other stuff with counters whenever you can (G1). Mana denial *can* be good but i wouldn't bet my life on it: the deck works wonders with a couple lands on the table.

Edit: also side out moms.

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    Edit: also side out moms.
    eh what? You really edited your post to tell me I need to side out mother of runes vs the colorless deck?

How good is the new Karn in this deck? Seems like a turn 2 Karn would be really strong against the midrange decks and control decks?

Quote Originally Posted by ratninja View Post
    How good is the new Karn in this deck? Seems like a turn 2 Karn would be really strong against the midrange decks and control decks?
    The card is relatively cheap and has everything we want.
    If you listen to Grün's podcast on youtube, he says that his deck could really use some form of card advantage, that's why he chose Sofi instead of Jitte in first place.
    And here we have it, card advantage with +1, more card advantage with -1, and a free Master of Etherium token into play for -2. The potential is there, he's nothing to sneeze at.
    This is serious businness for just , and I think our deck is candidate #1, because MUD has better Karns for the mana it can generate.

How often do you keep a hand with City/Mishras and a bunch of 2 drops?
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    How often do you keep a hand with City/Mishras and a bunch of 2 drops?
    You keep every hand that is reasonably stable mana-wise and can do one the following:

T1 Chalice @1 > T1 Thorn of Amethyst > T1 Steel Overseer

You fold everything else. Knowing your opponent's deck can help you make decisions e.g. i'd keep an hand with city of traitors as my only land in g2 against storm.

I picked up the deck recently and I'm having trouble vs grixis delver the most. Lot of times, they just daze force the lock piece, waste me and kill me with pyro tokens.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Dec 2011
    Norway

I'm a bit surprised the new Karn hasn't been talked about here. Admittedly, I haven't played this deck yet, but I'm very interested to try it out. The new Karn seems strong in an artifact-centric, sol-land deck like this.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it was mentioned a few times on this page of the thread control+f . :)
    -rob

Seems like the new Karn might be better in a more controllish shell.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Seems like the new Karn might be better in a more controllish shell.
    Questions:
    1. Does this come from test?
    2. Are you thinking about stax?

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    Went to a small tournament this past Saturday and decided to try out some Foundry Inspectors. Here's the list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Inventor's Fair
    2 Karakas
    4 Foundry Inspector
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Hangarback Walker
    1 Lodestone Golem
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Spellskite
    2 Sorceror's Spyglass
    1 Lodestone Golem

Went 4-0-1 with the draw being an intentional draw.
    Beat D&T, UB Smallpox, Dragon Stompy and UBr Tezzerator
    Drew against Deadguy Ale.
    Hey I was wondering if there were any updates for this deck? I'm going to give this list a spin later this week! Also, I don't happen to have any spellskites, what decks were they used for?

Hi everyone, longtime stalker on this thread, wanted to post my 5-1 report on the Legacy PTQ at GP Seattle (368 players), placing 10th and just missing out on top 8.

==Legacy Shops==

4 Steel Overseer
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    2 Hangarback Walker
    4 Walking Ballista
    3 Lodestone Golem
    3 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Foundry Inspector

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Smuggler's Copter

3 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Inventors' Fair
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Blinkmoth Nexus

SB:

2 Warping Wail
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void

R1: Burn 2-1
    G1&3, I played a CotV on 1 and Thorn. Sided in 2x Thorn and 1 Warping Wail, sided out 3x Revokers for G2&3. Game 2 he gets a T2 Eidolon and Pyrostatic Pillar and wins off of that.

R2: Storm 2-1
    G1 My opponent does what Storm does and I die. Side in 2x Warping Wailm 2x Thorn, 2x Ratchet Bomb, 4x LotV; side out 4x Overseer, 2x Hangarback, 3x Vault Skirge, 1 Copter. I take G2,3 with all of that hate, and only miss a trigger when he plays a Ponder. Also got a 3 for 1 whe he played a T1 LED, 2x Lotus Petal and I Ratchet Bomb on my turn for 0.

R3: LED Dredge 2-0
    G1 My opponent opens with Breakthrough on 0, discarding his hand. I open with Steel Overseer. Next few turns from him are unremarkable as I start piling on creatures and pumping them. G2 I side in 4x Leyline, 2x Ensnaring Bridge. 'Nuff said.

R4: Miracles 2-1
    G1 I play a grindy game of pinging him with Vault Skirge and man lands, playing around Terminus. He never finds a good answer and dies. G2 I side out 3x Lotus Petal. I keep a slower hand and my creatures are all dealt with. He finishes me off with Angel token beats from Entreat on X=2. G3 I play another grindy game with beats from man lands and a Vault Skirge, he surprisingly never finds enough removal to stop the beats.

R5: Manaless Dredge 2-1
    G1 He overwhelms me with zombie tokens from his Bridge from Below. G2,3 Side in 4x Leyline, 2x Ensnaring Bridge. 'Nuff said.

R6: Grixis Delver 0-2
    G1 I play a Steel Overseer and a Foundry Inspector on a City of Traitors and Karakas. A few turns later bolts the Foundry Inspector, delves in a Gurmag Angler and Wastelands my Karakas, with a Pyromancer in play. I'm not able to recover from the beats. G2 I get Wastelanded twice and am stuck with a bunch of 2 CMC creatures in hand with only a Karakas in play.

Notes
    - Foundry Inspector is REALLY good in this deck: I would keep these as a 4-of. >80% of the time playing just 1 allows you to turn the corner real fast after playing a prison piece or two.
    - The 75 feels almost perfect and I found over the weekend a single problem that this deck has trouble dealing/racing with early fatties (Angler, Tombstalker, Tarmogoyf). I'd try to find a way to sneak in 1-2 Dismember in the 75.

Quote Originally Posted by ksesler View Post
    Since none of the versions of the deck floated on this thread have any draw engines (except for SOFI in some), and many of your oppenent's do, would there be value in adding Chains of Mephistopheles in the sideboard to level the playing field?
    I've been playing with Sea Gate Wreckage over Karakas MB for the extra draw effect, its actually nuts with Foundry inspector in play, since you can top deck a 2 CMC, play it for 1, and still have mana for an extra draw which can also possibly be played that turn.

I think its a better card than Inventor's fair with regards to CA since it costs less to get some cards out of it, although IF is really good against burn and remedies self imposed damage where racing matters (ie vs delver)

EDIT: another card that I'm going to start testing is Scrap Crawler in the SB or MB. Its a card that can generate some CA and combo's well with ravager. Just having issues finding space to play him.

Quote Originally Posted by mambosong View Post
    I've been playing with Sea Gate Wreckage over Karakas MB for the extra draw effect, its actually nuts with Foundry inspector in play, since you can top deck a 2 CMC, play it for 1, and still have mana for an extra draw which can also possibly be played that turn.
    I tested out with confidant for a while, but had to drop golems for it because, huh, well, the sinergy. The list works, it felt ok, sometimes bob was taxing life-wise when i got unlucky but the added consistency was nice. The deck only plays 0-drops and 2 drops (mostly 0-drops with 0.66 average cc) so when you get lucky it's great.
    I also had no problems casting the guy as I swapped out karakas'es and fairs for vault of whispers: 10 sources are well enough but you have to be careful about it.
    The problem with bob is that he's got little to do with the deck, doesn't really benefit from either steel overseer or arcbound ravager being around, and is not a reliable attacker. So most of the times he ended up sitting there drawing me cards, which is ok because it accelerates lategame which is mostly favorable...but yeah.
    I think Karn is gonna be really good in this deck.

list for reference and/or general interest. I never played the deck in a tournament nor I'm playing this anymore btw.

4 Ancient Tombs
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Mox Opal

4 Steel Overseer
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Vault Skirge
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Hangarback Walker

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

edit: I think the most interesting theorycrafting novelties to discuss for this deck will be:
    1. The testing of the new Karn dude as a draw engine and finisher
    2. Following the Eldrazi evolution over time, the lowering of maindeck lock pieces in favor of a more consistant aggro plan. The above Seattle list in on 2 thorns. I don't know: Cranial Plating looks devastating here, or maybe just more sofis or jittes.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Skirge and revoker have felt mediocre to me, so has Fair and sometimes Karakas.

I want to try out multiple Smugglers Copters, as well as Welding Jars and Darksteel Citadel to better turn on Opals.

If we can make Opals into a more consistent turn one mana source then it relieves the pressure on the Sol Lands. Mox Opal is honestly a pretty busted card, and is one of the few that's on the short list for banning in Modern, yet it is very underplayed in Legacy, It's not at it's best in this list since there are no 1 drops, but maybe the solution is to make it more of a turn one threat.

I like the idea of Welding Jar just cause most of the removal being played in the format right now can't get through it. How many games do you just win if Overseer or Ravager live for more than a turn, Jar can help do that.

Tried this deck online for the first time yesterday and struggled quite alot - any tips or help would be great.

Played the version from the last 5-0 with the 4 Lodestone Golem and Jitte in the SB

Played 3 Grixis Delver decks

I found I often had a turn 1 Thorn or Chalice and then 1 or 2 threats but my clock was way to slow and they just eventually played a gurmag / TNN and killed me.

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

@Reanimator

the skirges and revokers definitely do feel mediocre but necessary. Skirges can be played when you only have 1 land which is nice at times and the lifelink helps offset the damage you take with the ancient tombs. Revokers feel like crap until you manage to manascrew an opponent when you name mana dorks, moxes, spirit guides or even planeswalkers.

Fair seems very innocuous cause usually it's just there to gain 1 life but after a few turns it ends up gaining you a lot of life and I've even had opponents who underestimated it initially and ended up Wastelanding the Fair before my sol lands. The Karakas is just a hedge against lands and reanimator and saves sideboard slots I guess. I did have a couple of games against opponents where I didn't know what they were playing and game 1 I just played turn 1 Karakas and they slumped in their chairs cause they were on Sneak/Show and reanimator so I'll take any cards that gives me free wins on game 1.

Regarding the Mox Opal, I found that I've rarely needed it to generate mana for me on turn 1 as the usual turn 1 play is a Chalice or Thorn to disrupt the opponent and with 8 sol lands plus 3 petals, it's fairly easy to generate 2 mana on turn 1 without using the mox.

Regarding the Smuggler's Copter, I've never tried it myself but I was hesitent to try it because Thorn is a big reason why I win with the deck and the Copter will end up being too high casting with Thorns in play.

Thread Information