Thread: Ajani Sun

Rx Sun Stompy

Rx Sun Stompy thread. Because running Blood Sun over Magus of the Moon allows a light splash color.

I call the Rw stompy build "Ajani Sun". Blood Sun spoiler made me think warm thoughts about RW prison. Essentially, monored stompy splashing white for Ajani (and Rule of Law and Nahiri?). Not sure if the deck is any better than monored stompy, though. Not even sure if w is the strongest splash color. Early brew below.

Notes:
    Blood Sun + Trinisphere + Sol land is a backbreaking lock vs enemy fetches. No red from fetches like with Moon to pay for Trinisphere and our Sol lands remain active.

We don't have to run any creatures if we don't want to. No Magus, SSG, Eidolon of the Rhetoric.

Why Ajani? It can keep the only useful opposing land tapped and shoot down opposing mana dorks.

Lock pieces (18)
    4x Blood Sun
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Trinisphere
    3x Ensnaring Bridge

Removal (4)
    4x Fiery Confluence

Win cons (6)
    3x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3x Ajani Vengeant

Flex Slots (4)
    1x Rule of Law
    1x Tsabo's Web
    1x Nahiri, the Harbinger / Bottled Cloister
    1x Armageddon

Mana acceleration (8)
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Lotus Petal

Land (20)
    4x RW dual
    4x RW fastland
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    2x Mountain
    Last edited by Karhumies; 01-05-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Re: Ajani Sun

I like the skeleton of the deck. I think you might get better mileage out of a card like Oblivion Ring as your flex slot. Also Ajani Sun is unoriginal. What about Red Sky? Blood(y) Sky?
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    I like the skeleton of the deck. I think you might get better mileage out of a card like Oblivion Ring as your flex slot. Also Ajani Sun is unoriginal. What about Red Sky? Blood(y) Sky?
    I like the idea of monored stompy being able to splash stuff from a secondary color thanks to Blood Sun enabling fastlands, duals and Sol lands. I am not sure Ajani is the strongest card though. There might be something even better on blue, green or black. RW prison is a classic combo though so it came first to mind.

Despite the Blood Sun + Trinisphere synergy, Trinisphere + Lotus Petal is anti-synergy which gets worse if we have Moon instead of Sun and are relying on Petal for the splash color. Trinisphere might end up being a sideboard card in a Petal splash build (basically SB into monored with SB Magus and SB Bridge?). Which will give us even more flex slots.

Quick Gatherer search. Cmc4, not creature, is red, is another color as well. Trying to shortlist playable permanents.

Black:
    not really anything

Blue:
    Ral Zarek

Green:
    Not really anything. cmc4 RG planeswalkers are too creature focused.

White:
    Ajani Vengeant
    Nahiri

Second gatherer search: gods.

Monored:
    Hazoret the Fervent (still great under Bridge)

Blue:
    Keranos, God of Storms

Third gatherer search. Enchantments from splash color, mana cost 2X. Tried to take the most playable ones.

Black
    not really anything

Blue
    AEther Barrier
    Arcane Laboratory
    As Foretold
    In the Eye of Chaos
    Mana Breach
    Monastery Siege
    Oath of Jace
    Propaganda
    Rhystic Study

Green
    Choke
    City of Solitude

White
    Equipoise
    Ghostly Prison
    Hanna's Custody
    Karmic Justice
    Oblivion Ring
    Phyrexian Unlife
    Rule of Law
    Solemnity
    Solitary Confinement

Ummm. Guys.

Thalia. THALIA. (both of them, really)

C'mon. White stompy and that wasn't the first card that popped into your head?

Also:

Stoneforge Mystic.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Ummm. Guys.

Thalia. THALIA. (both of them, really)

C'mon. White stompy and that wasn't the first card that popped into your head?

Also:

Stoneforge Mystic.
    Sounds like Wr death & taxes, which is a deck dating back to...2014? 2015? That deck used to run Thalia x4, Mystic x4, Magus of the Moon x2-4. No reason to run Blood Moon because it has no attack power / can't carry a Jitte, and because Thalia makes it cost more due to the symmetric tax effect.

Here's a 2017 version of the decklist:
    https://spellsnare.com/2017/04/22/le...moon-decklist/

I was looking for a 0 creature build with 2X spells in this thread to
    1) Create something new instead of something 3 years old
    2) Blank opposing creature removal
    3) Exploit the fact that Blood Sun makes our Sol lands produce 2 instead of R like Moon effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Sounds like Wr death & taxes, which is a deck dating back to...2014? 2015? That deck used to run Thalia x4, Mystic x4, Magus of the Moon x2-4. No reason to run Blood Moon because it has no attack power / can't carry a Jitte, and because Thalia makes it cost more due to the symmetric tax effect.

Here's a 2017 version of the decklist:
    https://spellsnare.com/2017/04/22/le...moon-decklist/

I was looking for a 0 creature build with 2X spells in this thread to
    1) Create something new instead of something 3 years old
    2) Blank opposing creature removal
    3) Exploit the fact that Blood Sun makes our Sol lands produce 2 instead of R like Moon effects.
    Then why are you still running Blood Moon? Moon and Sun doesn't really make a lot of sense. Web+Sun, yeah, that makes sense. Moon+Magus, sure.

Moon+Sun???

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Then why are you still running Blood Moon? Moon and Sun doesn't really make a lot of sense. Web+Sun, yeah, that makes sense. Moon+Magus, sure.

Moon+Sun???
    I think my main prison idea was to make opposing fetchlands obsolete t1 without running a Lightning Bolt target. For that approach, I find myself repeatedly asking: why am I even trying to splash for anything then? Monored is just a more consistent shell for this strategy.

If we scrap that inherent assumption, we have several interesting routes available using the splash.

1) Big Red splashes white for Nahiri
    -> Big Red goes super fast into topdeck mode. Blood Sun cantrips. Could be a Rw shell for Blood Sun.

2) Your earlier suggestion: Wr creature based stompy. But make a Blood Sun spin of that. Instead of Thalia, Mystic, Magus shell it could be a Leonin Arbiter, Aven Mindcensor, Blood Sun build focused on winning the coin flip and not allowing the opponent using fetchlands to play any MtG at all while putting them on a clock. But that seems kinda weak.

3) Your later suggestion: cantrip stompy with Web + Sun. I have absolutely no idea where this build is heading, and the lock pieces are not particularly effective at lockind down the opponent but they do cantrip so we can actually play the card advantage game. This might become a super odd shell.

No lotus Vale? Pairing it with chancellor of the annex is interesting.

Edit: I also want to fit sin prodder in.

Lock pieces 14
    4x Blood Sun
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x thalia
    2x Trinisphere

Removal (4)
    4x punishing fire

Win cons 11
    4x chancellor of the annex
    3x stoneforge mystic
    3x Ajani Vengeant
    1x batterskull

Mana acceleration 6
    4x Mox diamond
    2x crucible of worlds

Land (25)
    4x Plateau
    4x RW fastland
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Lotus Vale
    4x Grove of the burnwillows
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    3x wasteland

3) Your later suggestion: cantrip stompy with Web + Sun. I have absolutely no idea where this build is heading, and the lock pieces are not particularly effective at lockind down the opponent but they do cantrip so we can actually play the card advantage game. This might become a super odd shell.
    Sea Stompy splash red for Blood Sun with Esperzoa + Web draw engine?

Using this as a basis:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/525280#paper

Coming up with this atrocity:

Creature (22)
    4x Cloud of Faeries
    2x Esperzoa
    4x Illusory Angel
    1x Keranos, God of Storms
    2x Pestermite
    4x Sea Drake
    2x Serendib Efreet
    1x Sower of Temptation
    2x True-Name Nemesis

Land (18)
    1x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    1x Island
    4x Seat of the Synod
    4x Spirebluff Canal
    4x Volcanic Island

Artifact (12)
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Tsabo's Web
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Instant (4)
    4x Force of Will

Enchantment (4)
    4x Blood Sun

Yes, using Sun + Web there is completely forced. The build feels...too aggro, not enough grindy prison?

However, I do like the idea of a Ur shell not running Brainstorm + fetch as a potential home for Blood Sun. Just not at all convinced by forcibly using Web in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    No lotus Vale? Pairing it with chancellor of the annex is interesting.

Lock pieces 14
    4x Blood Sun
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x thalia
    2x Trinisphere

Removal (4)
    4x punishing fire

Win cons 11
    4x chancellor of the annex
    3x stoneforge mystic
    3x Ajani Vengeant
    1x batterskull

Mana acceleration 6
    4x Mox diamond
    2x crucible of worlds

Land (25)
    4x Plateau
    4x RW fastland
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Lotus Vale
    4x Grove of the burnwillows
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    3x wasteland
    Wow. That build is...inspired. I had to goldfish it immediately to get a feel for it.

25 lands, 7 of which colorless, 4 Lotus Vale and 4 Grove leaves only 10 lands producing white. This is borderline problematic. Higher white count, e.g. some Horizon Canopy, would help.

Chancellor being the only mana sink for Lotus Vale is also problematic. You want to turn that extra mana into profit somehow when the deck gets rolling using a card which has more utility than Chancellor IMO. Walking Ballista? It's utility, noncombat win con and mana sink. Using a noncombat win con (ballista, punishing fire) also allows Ensnaring Bridge MD.

Stupid sideboard suggestions: Zuran Orb, Null Brooch, Leyline of Sanctity

Lotus Veil makes me think about Cloud of Faeries + Force of Will again...

Wow. That build is...inspired. I had to goldfish it immediately to get a feel for it.

25 lands, 7 of which colorless, 4 Lotus Vale and 4 Grove leaves only 10 lands producing white. This is borderline problematic. Higher white count, e.g. some Horizon Canopy, would help.

Chancellor being the only mana sink for Lotus Vale is also problematic. You want to turn that extra mana into profit somehow when the deck gets rolling using a card which has more utility than Chancellor IMO. Walking Ballista? It's utility, noncombat win con and mana sink. Using a noncombat win con (ballista, punishing fire) also allows Ensnaring Bridge MD.

Stupid sideboard suggestions: Zuran Orb, Null Brooch, Leyline of Sanctity

Lotus Veil makes me think about Cloud of Faeries + Force of Will again...
    Lotus veil and mox diamond make white mana too. It still might be a bit light though. Chancellor helps both to get your lock pieces down before opponents play anything and then later becomes a wincon. Turn two blood sun then turn 3 lotus Vale and chancellor is doable.

Thread Information