Thread: Selling Out of Legacy

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Selling Out of Legacy

In one month I’m moving to a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific; Kauai, Hawaii. There is no Magic scene on the island, much less legacy, so I don’t think I’ll be getting many cardboard games in if I ship my collection over. I’m also worried about the effect of a more-humid climate on my $25k collection. I’m considering just selling everything off before I go. Does anyone have some insight as to the best way to go about quickly liquidating without leaving tons of money on the table?

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Re: Selling Out of Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    In one month I’m moving to a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific; Kauai, Hawaii. There is no Magic scene on the island, much less legacy, so I don’t think I’ll be getting many cardboard games in if I ship my collection over. I’m also worried about the effect of a more-humid climate on my $25k collection. I’m considering just selling everything off before I go. Does anyone have some insight as to the best way to go about quickly liquidating without leaving tons of money on the table?

Thanks for your input!

Find someone you trust and consign with a flexible time limit.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    Find someone you trust and consign with a flexible time limit.
    Hadn’t thought of that. Like consign with a card shop?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Hadn’t thought of that. Like consign with a card shop?

That is the best way - shop and seller must be trustworthy, write out agreement - sharing benefits and the describe service. Mostly it will be 5-10% of all value for shop (25$ is nice collection, so it will take many hours to spent it, so I think something between 5-10% is right shop tax, the smaller is collection the bigger will be share for shop).

Other option is to try shell all to shop - mostly undervalue 10-20% - option if you really need cash fast.

Best way if you have time sell best cards alone (cards worth > 100$) then try to sell all - more profit since you don't undervalue most expensive cards.

About climate - don't worry - most places have air condition where you live in tropical/subtropical climate so it doesn't matter, so you can bring MtG to Kaui :-)

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Congrats on the move!

eBay has worked well for me. You incur a seller fee, but you're still doing a lot better than buylist prices. That said, it has a few inconveniences:
    - The process of making listings for every single card you want to sell is pretty tedious.
    - You'll run into a few lame buyers. I've had a couple guys buy cards, then return them (with me paying for shipping!) because they found a better price elsewhere. Ebay always sides with buyers, so don't expect any backup if someone's being a pain in the ass.

Facebook is probably your other best option. For stuff like Duals, I imagine you'd be able to move stuff pretty easily.

For the most part, I don't think there's a good way to just sell your whole collection in one shot without losing money. I wouldn't expect they'll only undervalue it by the 10-20% Fatal is suggesting; if you're selling $25K worth of cards, I'd bank on them offering you $12-15K.

There's a group called High End Magic or something similar. It can be worth a shot. I've seen people list collections and people comment on what they want to sell.

For a $25k collection, cosigning is probably more worthwhile.

You might be able to post on that group that you're looking to sell the collection in one piece, and that could get serious buyers who will visit to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I would keep them unless you have something to spend the money on. Its an investment not just cards and they probably continue to rise or at least be stable.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I would keep them unless you have something to spend the money on. Its an investment not just cards and they probably continue to rise or at least be stable.
    Good point. I don't at this point, NEED the $25K. I probably should just hold onto them for a rainy day.

And to quote Arrested Development: "That way, you'll have it!"

Good point. I don't at this point, NEED the $25K. I probably should just hold onto them for a rainy day.

If you are worried about humidity, you can store them with some silica gel packs to keep them relatively dry.

I think RL is not a safe long term investment no more. If MTG crashes/dies out or a very significant portion of it's player base leaves, then even RL will not be worth all that much and prices will suffer. I think if there is a financially beneficial point of selling out it is now. I don't think this game has a bright future anymore, at least not legacy. Every non RL card will be printed to death. Tto a degree this has already happened and just look, non RL cards are pretty much cheap in legacy atm.. but when magic crash even RL will not be safehaven no more. Just my view on the situation.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Sell enough to buy a surf board. Keep the cards that make you happy whether or not you get to play with them.

It's probably more a question of what you want that $25k doing. Would you rather have it invested in your collection, or would you rather move it to a more traditional investment?

Please note that "I should just hold onto them for a rainy day" is not a good argument for keeping them. Cards are not very liquid, as the existence of this very thread proves. On a "rainy day", you very well might not have neither the time nor the energy to spend on making a good sale. Basic principle of any transaction : the one that needs the transaction to happen the most is in a weak position and will most likely end up paying for it.

In the end, choose whatever option fits you best, but please don't keep them solely because of a false sentiment of "I can just sell them later if in a pickle". It would just be a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    If you are worried about humidity, you can store them with some silica gel packs to keep them relatively dry.
    this will ruin your cards, use a humidity control system that people use for cigars.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Please note that "I should just hold onto them for a rainy day" is not a good argument for keeping them. Cards are not very liquid, as the existence of this very thread proves. On a "rainy day", you very well might not have neither the time nor the energy to spend on making a good sale. Basic principle of any transaction : the one that needs the transaction to happen the most is in a weak position and will most likely end up paying for it.

In the end, choose whatever option fits you best, but please don't keep them solely because of a false sentiment of "I can just sell them later if in a pickle". It would just be a bad idea.
    I see where you’re coming from here. Their general illiquidity makes them difficult to monetize for full value, especially if you’re in a hurry or in a pinch. I find myself in the fortunate position now where I am in a hurry but certainly not in a pinch. I’m thinking that keeping my collection of Eternal cards is the way to go. Give away the boxes of junk, consolidate the valuable cards to one box, and ship them to Kauai with me. Even if I never play (which I probably won’t) I can still sell the cards off on eBay and any extra cost of shipping from Kauai would be minimal in comparison to the money I’d make from selling staples. If I don’t sell them I just have to make sure they don’t get moldy. Keeping the collection allows me to get back into the game at a later date or still play if a scene develops. And ultimately I don’t need the money ATM so why stress over it?

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    this will ruin your cards, use a humidity control system that people use for cigars.
    In what way? I only ask since I don't live in a humid climate so its never been a problem for me, but from what I have seen a lot of people suggest it as a possible solution online.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Thanks for your input!

Just what we needed, a full on Goblins Player moving out of the game :(

Nah seriously man I wish you the whole best with this new step in your life! Congrats!

Thread Information