Thread: Tournament series point system?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Tournament series point system?

Morning everyone! I'm involved in organizing a Vintage tournament series. We're running events every 4-8 weeks, which we want to culminate in a year-end championship invitational. To that end, I need to come up with a points/leaderboard system to track who gets invited to the championship.

Ideally, we'd like to reward both consistent attendance and performance. Can anyone recommend a good points system for this? Here's what I have so far:

Attendance/participation:
    - X points per tournament, where X is the number of tournaments entered. (E.g. if you enter 3 tournaments, you'd earn 1, then 2, then 3 points.)

Performance:
    - Option A: Earn points based on match wins. (E.g. 5-0 earns 5 points, 4-1 earns 4 points, etc.)
    - Option B: Earn points for Top 4 or Top 8 appearances. (E.g. 1st place earns 5 points, 3rd place earns 2 points, etc.)
    - Some combination of A and B: Maybe earns points based on match wins, and earn bonus points for Top 8 appearances?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Tournament series point system?

Is an invitational more appealing than rewarding high performers with byes to an 'open to all' end of season event?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Is an invitational more appealing than rewarding high performers with byes to an 'open to all' end of season event?
    Thanks Ace - that's a great suggestion! I'll pose it to the rest of the committee

Tournament series point system?

We have a system with 3 points per win after a swiss of four rounds. But then you only get to count your best X results. Thus playing well but seldom can be as rewarding as playing every occation and doing well from time to time. I like it.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Cheers JackaBo. That could work, but we'll also want to reward attendance - someone showing up every time, even if they go 0-5, is good for our scene.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Posting this in both forums that you asked in.

One thing to keep in mind is to ask yourself what it is that you want to reward.

I know that you're wanting to both reward attendance *and* results. But you don't want people gaming the system. I once played 60 lands for four rounds in a Standard tournament in order to hit the points minimum for a monthly points system that gave 1 point per round played.

>X points per tournament, where X is the number of tournaments entered. (E.g. if you enter 3 tournaments, you'd earn 1, then 2, then 3 points.)

I might be misreading this. Are you saying 1 point for the first tournament, 2 for the second, etc? If so, I'm not a fan of that. We're all adults and it's a real kick in the teeth that I've got to work this weekend *and* I'm going to lose several points because my streak is broken - I don't just lose this week's points, I lose this week's points for every week that follows.

My thoughts:

* Reward attendance
    * Reward continuing to play when no longer live for top 8/4
    * Reward strong results

When we did the Houston invitational, the first thing we looked at on invites was attendance numbers. So we'd be award that heavily.

A few ideas:

Heavy emphasis on showing up:

* 1 point for every player in the tournament you're in
    * 1 point for every player ranked below you at the end

Mixed emphasis:

* 5 (?) points for showing up
    * 3 points per match win

Heavy emphasis on results - track and field style

* 5 points for 1st
    * 3 points for 2nd
    * 1 point for 3rd

Don't forget that we publish results for every event so you've got a year of data you could play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Thread Information