4x Street Wraith
    3x Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Sideboard
    3x Ancient Grudge
    4x leyline Of the void
    4x Pyroblast
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Devastating Dreams

Interesting problem that Magic online doesn’t have Control of the Courts in it, so this will have to be a paper deck only.

Mox Diamond is the best accelerate, sincewhen it comes into play you DISCARD.

This is not a graveyard deck, this is a discard deck. Your graveyard matters for delver spells, but that’s about it. You can win through graveyard hate very easily.

This is a shell for the list, I am posting it to this thread to start a discussion.

The deck is crazy fast and consistent.
    Last edited by gkraigher; 02-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Hollow One Controls the Courts

I like the aggro approach with no cute crap; punishing fire, bloodghast etc. However i see a problem with most of the creatures having no evasion. For instance an active pyromancer could hold off most of the creatures. Perhabs it's be worth running deeper in green and replacing 4 of the delve-guys with mandrills or go for a couple of tombstalkers.
    Further i believe 16 lands is too few. If you get stuck on one land you can only play 8 of the cards. Furthermore, mox diamond isnt really ramp unless you have an extra land to pitch.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Re: Hollow One Controls the Courts

I think playing black could be wrong. Taz, Angler, and Tombstalker are very attractive, but I think green for Mandrils seems nice and adds more evasion.

If you go all green, maybe Rootwalla could be an interesting route. That also makes Vengevine appealing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Further i believe 16 lands is too few. If you get stuck on one land you can only play 8 of the cards. Furthermore, mox diamond isnt really ramp unless you have an extra land to pitch.
    20 mana source is actually a lot, when you can cast all but 8 spells with 1 mana. The only spells that always cost 2 mana are goblin lore and control of the court.

Mox Diamond allows for lots of turn 1 Gurmag Angler and Tasigur plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    I think playing black could be wrong. Taz, Angler, and Tombstalker are very attractive, but I think green for Mandrils seems nice and adds more evasion.

If you go all green, maybe Rootwalla could be an interesting route. That also makes Vengevine appealing too.

Tomstalker costs 8 which makes it a lot worse than Gurmag Angler. It also costs double black. Flying is not a relevant ability, speed is. There is a 3/3 black delver creature for 6 mana that is more playable than Tombstalker. But both are worse than a 4/5 and a 5/5z

As for the green cards, I looked at hooting mandrills. It’s certainly not bad, but one of the decks resilience/engine pieces is Call to the Netherword, which can only returnBlack Creatures.

Casting multiple creatures is unlikely, so triggering vengevine is hard. It requires itself to be in the graveyard, and you still have to cast two cards. Even with Rootwalla it’s a bad strategy. Rootwalla is also pretty marginal. It’s the equilavent Of playing narcomoeba or something. It’s just not a powerful card.

It’s best to streamline the deck, make it as fast as possible, and make it as resilient as possible.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

What about Anger?
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    What about Anger?
    That’s an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gkraigher View Post
    20 mana source is actually a lot
    I don't think you can add Mox Diamond like that to your land count to come up with mana sources. Sixteen lands is really low to support Mox Diamond as is...

Anyway, I'm working on a brew similar to this but in a slightly more controlling route and less aggro. One card to consider in the sideboard is Collective Brutality. Flexible and another great discard outlet.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Is there anyway that Squee can fit here?

EDIT: Firestorm seems like a really good sideboard card, perhaps even some nonzero amount of it can be maindecked. I also thing Devastating Dreams seems too for sideboard

Devastating Dreams does seem like a great card.

This looks like a lot of fun, kudos. It's expensive to cast, so maybe that's why not, but Demigod of Revenge plays well with everything present. Is black, has game from the graveyard, and evasion on a large body. 5 mana though, seems to be too slow.

Quick question. Every land except basic mountain can be used to cast DRS, but it is not present in the deck. Seems to be a better one drop than Flameblade Adept. What did I miss for its exclusion, (even as a 2 of, 3 would seem greedy, 4 incorrect).

And just as another discard outlet, a card I wanted to be a thing, but never materialized, Lotleth Troll is on theme, but, bad, kinda like Wild Mongrel. : (

And while it's not always around, is there any sort of answer for Lands? Pithing Needle in the SB?

My blind attempt at this deck for 'Trice (Firestorm over Devastating Dreams, did not want to sac own lands)-

// Hollow One Controls the Courts

// 60 Maindeck
    // 4 Artifact
    4 Mox Diamond

// 22 Creature
    4 Gurmag Angler
    4 Hollow One
    4 Street Wraith
    2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Anger
    4 Demigod of Revenge

// 16 Land
    3 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    1 Taiga
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wooded Foothills

// 18 Sorcery
    3 Burning Inquiry
    3 Call to the Netherworld
    3 Control of the Court
    3 Faithless Looting
    3 Goblin Lore
    3 Collective Brutality

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Silent Gravestone

// 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void

// 6 Instant
    SB: 3 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 3 Firestorm

// 3 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Reverent Silence
    SB: 1 Hull Breach

Obviously you can run Deathrite Shaman. I don’t think you want to play it personally. Exiling lands and delving then away is the same thing. Flameblade Adept is a 4 or 5 mana 1 drop. It also has menace. The card is pretty incredible.

Ashen Rider may be the best choice vs Sneak and Show. It also has synergy with Call to the Netherworld.

I've goldfished this deck but replacing the moxes with lands and it works pretty well. You can pretty consistently cast a fatty on each turn from turn 2 and forward.
    I believe some number of removal is required in the 75 is required as Leo stops your lootingplan and Pyro can stop your aggroplan.
    This deck with your sideboard have no way of winning against storm either.

This is what I was messing around with:

4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Vengevine
    4 Hollow One
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Taiga
    4 Volcanic Island
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Wooded Foothills
    4 Careful Study
    4 Street Wraith
    3 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Insolent Neonate
    4 Hapless Researcher
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Mountain
    1 Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest

2 Pyroblast
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    2 Destructive Revelry
    2 Silent Gravestone

Burning Inquiry seems too inconsistent. Cut the black entirely and went for blue/green with Careful Study, Hapless Researcher, Gitaxian Probe, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine, and Hooting Mandrils. Squee might be too cute, but I'm unsure what I'd replace him with. He helps when you dump out your hand with double Looting/Study so you don't have to discard relevant stuff. Maybe just add Lotus Petal or actually try out Burning Inquiry again.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I've goldfished this deck but replacing the moxes with lands and it works pretty well. You can pretty consistently cast a fatty on each turn from turn 2 and forward.
    I believe some number of removal is required in the 75 is required as Leo stops your lootingplan and Pyro can stop your aggroplan.
    This deck with your sideboard have no way of winning against storm either.
    very true. The storm matchup is unwinnable at this point. That is step 2 in development. Step 1 is to get the shell right. We are still in step 1. Once we get to step 2, which is suring up bad matchups, there are plenty of anti-storm cards that can be played. Leyline of the Void does very well vs the traditional storm, but ANT shits all over that plan. You could play Chalice of the Void for 0. You can also play thoughtseize.

As for Burning Inquity, the card is better than it looks. It can act like a hymn to tourach for 3, getting rid of a greedy blue players only land. It also messes up combo decks like show and tell. Conversly, it is a huge liability vs other decks like Dredge. It may have to be cut, and doing so would free up room for some other cards. Having less 1 drops, does allow the deck to consider playing Chalice of the Void. Which is simply a great magic card. It's very hard to find success in Legacy if you aren't playing Brainstorm or Chalice of the Void.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    This is what I was messing around with:

4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Vengevine
    4 Hollow One
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Taiga
    4 Volcanic Island
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Wooded Foothills
    4 Careful Study
    4 Street Wraith
    3 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Insolent Neonate
    4 Hapless Researcher
    2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Mountain
    1 Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest

2 Pyroblast
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    2 Destructive Revelry
    2 Silent Gravestone

Burning Inquiry seems too inconsistent. Cut the black entirely and went for blue/green with Careful Study, Hapless Researcher, Gitaxian Probe, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine, and Hooting Mandrils. Squee might be too cute, but I'm unsure what I'd replace him with. He helps when you dump out your hand with double Looting/Study so you don't have to discard relevant stuff. Maybe just add Lotus Petal or actually try out Burning Inquiry again.
    Arrrrgh, I had been going down the Hollow Vine path myself and was hoping I could come up with a working list first! Good job though.

The current version I'm testing is R/G with Firestorm and Loam to feed it, plus Barbarian Ring for reach. Not messing around with random discard. BUG, RUG and Jund versions all seem viable though. Let's hope VV gets a reprint in M25

Land (18)
    3x Arid Mesa
    1x Barbarian Ring
    1x Forest
    1x Forgotten Cave
    1x Mountain
    3x Taiga
    1x Tranquil Thicket
    3x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills

Creature (26)
    4x Basking Rootwalla
    4x Flameblade Adept
    4x Hollow One
    2x Hooting Mandrills
    4x Insolent Neonate
    4x Street Wraith
    4x Vengevine

Instant (10)
    3x Firestorm
    4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Sudden Shock

Sorcery (6)
    4x Faithless Looting
    2x Life from the Loam

Quote Originally Posted by gkraigher View Post
    Obviously you can run Deathrite Shaman. I don’t think you want to play it personally. Exiling lands and delving then away is the same thing. Flameblade Adept is a 4 or 5 mana 1 drop. It also has menace. The card is pretty incredible.
    Yeah this card is really good at killing Jaces in my testing. It's also cheap enough to trigger VV pretty easily.

I'm pretty sure the most broken cards in any of these lists are the Goblin Lores and the Control of the Courts. I'd just run more of these with delve spells in the green versions too.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Land (18)
    3x Arid Mesa
    1x Barbarian Ring
    1x Forest
    1x Forgotten Cave
    1x Mountain
    3x Taiga
    1x Tranquil Thicket
    3x Windswept Heath
    4x Wooded Foothills
    There looks to be 6 playable lands, and 10 fetches. With a loam engine, why doesn't this deck want Molten Vortex/Seismic Assault for reach? Also doesn't seem a stretch to throw in one or two groves for Punishing Fire either.

A few spins on 'Trice, DRS really not needed. Didn't find random discard problematic, especially with call of the netherworld. Burning inquiry, horrible against dredge, lulz discard spell vs fair/combo decks.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I've been playing around with the idea of Lingering Souls to give the deck a little more staying power and fiddling with threat count etc, and heres where I got to:

Lands (15)
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plateau
    1 Scrubland
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wooded Foothills

Sorceries (19)
    4 Burning Inquiry
    3 Call to the Netherworld
    1 Control of the Court
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Goblin Lore
    3 Lingering Souls

Creatures (16)
    4 Flameblade Adept
    4 Gurmag Angler
    4 Street Wraith
    1 Sultai Scavenger
    3 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Artifacts (10)
    4 Hollow One
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Mox Diamond

The manabase might still be a little off (and I know dropping basics is greedy as hell), and maybe green is needed depending on the sideboard but I wanted to focus on executing our plan well before I overthink things.

Thread Information