Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hollow One Controls the Courts

Oct 2017
    NYC

Re: Hollow One Controls the Courts

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    just spitballing here, are there advantages to playing this over a simple reanimator or dredge? If the goal is to capitalize on delve cards you are going through an awful lot of trouble to just get an angler into play for cheap and its not a game breaking card. If the deck had a way to combat combo decks it might just be nice as a recursive midrange deck but its really lacking here.
    In reality, probably not much advantage right now for my Grixis attempt. Primary idea is to try having much more game against GY hate than all-in GY decks. HO/Adept are untouched by RIP/LLoV, bloodghast is castable etc. Threats are diversified enough that I never felt Surgical was lights out pre-ban. Big Game Hunter is good option post board for Tarmogoyf, but given that D&T is making a serious comeback and none of their threats are hit by BGH, and you'll rarely cast bloodghast with their mana denial suite I'm stuck on how you'd win post board games there.

I'll maybe go back to this in a few months once the meta settles a bit. But before ban, I felt it was about as good as I can make it, and it often felt like it needed just 1 more thing. Either a better synergistic entomb target, or another flavor of adept @ 1cmc (Cunning Survivor costing U instead of 1U would likely do it), or something.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: Hollow One Controls the Courts

Quote Originally Posted by deragun View Post
    Now that this thread is semi-active today, I'll throw my thoughts on this type of deck into the ring. I was working on a Grixis based list for about 2 months until the DRS ban. I haven't done much since as I'm busy toying around with GW maverick immediately post ban.

Here's my latest list:

4 Flameblade Adept
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Prized Amalgam
    1 Anger
    1 Wonder
    4 Hollow One
    4 Gurmag Angler

2 Dack Fayden

4 Burning Inquiry
    3 Careful Study
    2 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Tolarian Winds

3 Arid Mesa
    2 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Cephalid Coliseum
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

SIDEBOARD

4 Thoughtsieze
    2 Abrade
    2 Price of Progress
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Silent Gravestone
    3 Bitterblossom

I wanted to go with non-random discard, and the core idea of the deck is to leverage Tolarian Winds to max value. So ideal sequence would be T1 Adept, into T2 Tolarian for 4 or 5...swing for unblockable 5 or 6 dmg and drop a Hollow One 2nd main. Tolarian also makes a T3 Angler pretty easy to do. Anger/Wonder are to break board stalls with the 2 entomb tutor package, and the Amalgam is another tutor target for extra value before getting a bloodghast out of the yard.

Non-random was the goal, but I ended up settling on using Burning Inquiry despite this because the pseudo removal on them proved to be more than worth the chance of losing a playable angler/HO.

Sideboard will need work in a post DRS world. My immediate thoughts are that it should be able to play through a surgical, etc, so no longer a need for the Gravestones. Price of Progress was a test on extra reach for the kill, but probably not what's most needed anymore. Given the deck easily makes Goyf 4/5 or higher by T3, more ways to deal with that are needed...probably Big Game Hunters are where I'll start. I'm also going to have to look for a few more good options that aren't GY dependent. Other madness creatures, or such that will help give some game under a RIP, etc. Also, haven't played against much combo, so not sure if the 4 thoughtsieze would be enough...maybe more against combo.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Any thoughts/questions are welcome!
    Use goblin lore

Thread Information