Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pattern Aggro

Re: Pattern Aggro

I went 2-2 again tonight (same list as post 17) but won my feature match (skip to 2 hours 6 minutes): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/233438677 . My first loss was miracles and g3 I mulled to 5 and kept garbage instead of mulling to 4 and lost. I never saw library in the 3 games sadly. G1 though I realized that emrakul and progenitus are both bad vs miracles. Not sure if there is any good natural order or even pattern target vs them? Griselbrand, Ruric Thar, and Iona came to mind but not sure if there is something better? My other loss was grixis delver and it was bad...I did a lot better in casual testing vs grixis delver. I'm thinking of adding the 4th library and moving death's shadow to the board. Will be tinkering...

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

I saw you match against Grixis, I think, the commentary was not very good they had issues to identify cards.
    If you need a beefy creature switch Shadow to Tarmogoyf. Against any blue deck you only need 3 maybe 4 choke if you feel really oppressed and some Abrupt decay should be sufficient. Some Diabolic edict might be great to kill big guys or trigger Pattern of rebirth.

I will suggest dropping Carpet of Flowers. It did not work for me, it helped accelerate, but my opponents could play everything.

Have a look a Thrun, to troll people and Titania because you play Ghost Quarter and Terastadon.

Progenitus might be another Emrakul or Blightsteel Colossus.

Unfortunately against Miracles you need Choke, Thragtusk, Man Lands (ex. Treetop), token producing planeswalker Garruk Relentless, Nissa vital force/Vastwood Seer/maybe Voice of Zendikar or Liliana, last hope and Ob Nix and luck. You will both struggle against Terminus and Jace. Unless you manage to discard a Terminus and Surgical Extraction it.

He needs progenitus as a natural order target, remember natural order only gets a green creature.

Carpet of flowers is strong in this deck I think.

Yeah I think miracles is too tough to worry about. Thrun is a good shout though. I need some green card in the md as long as I keep natural order. It might be terrastodon though. Carpet is really just for delver but it's excellent there.

I've been playing 5 colour reanimator on Tuesday for a while now and after a couple 3-1 results I decided last Thursday to dust off pattern for pub fun legacy. I played a similar list to before but with probe/elvish spirit guide to no success. So today I decided to go another direction and put in a reanimate package. Went 2-2...beat br reanimator and aluren while losing to burn and bug deaths shadow. Ancient tomb was very questionable...I did win a game by berserking a 15/15 Varolz. Entomb can grab a reanimate target, or a deaths shadow to make Varolz big, or a therapy to sac a pattern creature to.

4 entomb
    4 reanimate
    3 deaths shadow
    2 Varolz
    1 griselbrand
    1 grave titan
    4 pattern of rebirth
    2 gsz
    1 drs
    1 xantid swarm
    1 dryad arbor
    4 cabal therapy
    2 collective brutality
    2 berserk
    2 abrupt decay
    2 sylvan library

4 dark ritual
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 overgrown tomb
    4 swamp
    1 Forest
    3 Llanowar Wastes
    1 phyrexian tower
    6 fetches

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thoughtseize
    1 carpet of flowers
    1 terrastodon
    3 abyssal persecutor
    1 tombstalker
    1 abrupt decay

Trying something similar to my original list tomorrow.

4 pattern of rebirth
    1 emrakul
    1 terrastodon
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 kalonian hydra
    4 devoted druid
    3 summoning trap
    4 birds of paradise
    2 gsz
    1 quillspike
    1 dryad arbor
    3 Trinisphere
    3 collective brutality
    2 abrupt decay
    2 sylvan library

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 high market
    1 eldrazi temple
    2 overgrown tomb
    5 Forest
    4 Llanowar Wastes
    1 phyrexian tower
    3 verdant catacombs

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thoughtseize
    1 carpet of flowers
    2 engineered plague
    3 choke
    1 abrupt decay

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Trying something similar to my original list tomorrow.

4 pattern of rebirth
    1 emrakul
    1 terrastodon
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 kalonian hydra
    4 devoted druid
    3 summoning trap
    4 birds of paradise
    2 gsz
    1 quillspike
    1 dryad arbor
    3 Trinisphere
    3 collective brutality
    2 abrupt decay
    2 sylvan library

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 high market
    1 eldrazi temple
    2 overgrown tomb
    5 Forest
    4 Llanowar Wastes
    1 phyrexian tower
    3 verdant catacombs

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 thoughtseize
    1 carpet of flowers
    2 engineered plague
    3 choke
    1 abrupt decay
    The numbers of the cards in this deck are very exciting.. 2 gsz, 3 kalonian hydra, 3 summoning trap (main? Most of the decks don't play counters at the moment, storm, dnt, elves, eldrazi, dragon stompy, aggro loam, lands... seems like an inconsistent card with only three big threats in the deck - most control decks can answer hydra/tks with swords, jace, strix).

That said - I think the idea is very exciting! I think I'll play this at my next local tbh. Love all the potentials for sacrifice synergies with explorer and diabolic intent with the backup combo. Might be better to get infinite mana with druid and kill with ballista? As opposed to quillspike. It is nice that you can green sun's for the whole combo at the moment though. Just would be good to be able to kill through bridge or something, though we do have decays. I definitely think the therapy/explorer package is worth playing. I've added a wastes to get to play tks. I don't think trinisphere works well in the veteran version of the deck (you give them basics lol). LOVE THE CARYATID PATTERN SYNERGY!

Personally I'd look at playing -

4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Devoted Druid
    2 Sylvan Caryatid
    1 Quillspike
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Thought-Knot Seer

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    2 Diabolic Intent
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 High Market
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Bayou
    5 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Wastes
    4 Llanowar Wastes
    4 Verdant Catacombs

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Toxic Deluge
    3 Choke

Also I don't think this deck is aggro, is the name ironic haha lol

I went 3-1 tonight with the last list I posted (moved the summoning traps to the sb and 3 thoughtseize md)! I beat death and taxes, aluren, and bizarro stormy piloted by "hermit druid" in the above post . Troll account name was way too obvious...looking forward to lending you the pieces so you can play the version you posted next week. Lost to infect but still won a game. Suggestions on improvements?

Edit: don't forget summoning trap works against chalice too.
    Last edited by kinda; 08-29-2018 at 07:33 AM.

I went 3-1 tonight with the last list I posted (moved the summoning traps to the sb and 3 thoughtseize md)! I beat death and taxes, aluren, and bizarro stormy piloted by "hermit druid" in the above post . Troll account name was way too obvious...looking forward to lending you the pieces so you can play the version you posted next week. Lost to infect but still won a game. Suggestions on improvements?

Edit: don't forget summoning trap works against chalice too.
    Hm I'm not sure what you're talking about, my locals are on Thursdays, but tomorrow I'll play the following!

4 Veteran Explorer
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Sylvan Caryatid
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Thought-Knot Seer

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Pattern of Rebirth
    2 Diabolic Intent
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 High Market
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Bayou
    5 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Wastes
    4 Llanowar Wastes
    4 Verdant Catacombs

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Toxic Deluge
    3 Choke

After some further rumination, I decided that Druid/Quillspike was too weak and that I'd prefer to have more value/utility oriented creatures in those spots to maximise Green Sun's Zenith.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Since you're playing Leylines in the sideboard, have you considered Helm of Obedience?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit_druid View Post
    Hm I'm not sure what you're talking about, my locals are on Thursdays, but tomorrow I'll play the following!

...list...

After some further rumination, I decided that Druid/Quillspike was too weak and that I'd prefer to have more value/utility oriented creatures in those spots to maximise Green Sun's Zenith.
    I'd suggest a 2nd Tower instead of High Market if you have one. Sakura-Tribe Elder? Accelerates to 4 mana or can be a stand-alone sacrifice creature.

This is basically just a nic fit variant, there was a user in that thread recently talking about Quirion Ranger as a surprising early mana accelerant if you have a list that wants to utilize Dryad Arbor. Not sure if there have been other Pattern talks and ideas posted in that thread.

Touche! I'm looking forward to seeing the tournament report.

I don't suggest two tireless tracker. You'll be able to generate tons of mana and want a fatty which can win on its own you can gsz for. I recommend kalonian hydra but titania protector of argoth is more conventional (better). You can also pattern for it if you draw emrakul but don't have collective brutality.

@whitefaces: good shout!

Touche! I'm looking forward to seeing the tournament report.

I don't suggest two tireless tracker. You'll be able to generate tons of mana and want a fatty which can win on its own you can gsz for. I recommend kalonian hydra but titania protector of argoth is more conventional (better). You can also pattern for it if you draw emrakul but don't have collective brutality.

@whitefaces: good shout!
    Have you tried playing Sakura Tribe Elders? Seems nice with Pattern. Removes the 3 card combo element.

Have you tried playing Sakura Tribe Elders? Seems nice with Pattern. Removes the 3 card combo element.
    Devoted druid is just better right?

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Devoted druid is just better right?
    Not really - Druid is summoning sick to sac and the Tribe elder can with 6 Mana be enchanted and used right away to combo. Other than that rather exotic case the druid is probably better.
    Chalice on 1

Thread Information